Classic Car thread

TexasEd

You have to be kinda crazy to drive at anything resembling speed limit with that racing windscreen.
In other news my MGA is somewhere in the body shop getting prepped for paint
What shop are you using and what did they quote you? My Spider is similar in size and I'm looking at options.

9 hours ago, Modessit said:

What shop are you using and what did they quote you? My Spider is similar in size and I'm looking at options.

Using a classic shop in Holland Michigan. Quote is around 20K which is huge but it includes a lot of body work before painting. I probably could have saved a few grand by doing it locally but I didn;t know anyone and in this case the people doing the restoration know the shops and have complete control of the process

Edited by AUinHsv

On 3/5/2023 at 2:57 PM, AUinHsv said:

You have to be kinda crazy to drive at anything resembling speed limit with that racing windscreen.

In other news my MGA is somewhere in the body shop getting prepped for paint

That is a beautiful little car, but they were intended for spirited drives on low-traffic roads or I guess maybe track use; I know, I have a wonderful Miata reserved for Hill Country zoom-zoom.  Makes me anxious to drive it into Austin or DFW cell phone obsessed/weaving 18-wheeler traffic.  Hope your paint job is perfection!

2 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

That is a beautiful little car, but they were intended for spirited drives on low-traffic roads or I guess maybe track use; I know, I have a wonderful Miata reserved for Hill Country zoom-zoom.  Makes me anxious to drive it into Austin or DFW cell phone obsessed/weaving 18-wheeler traffic.  Hope your paint job is perfection!

I drove my first one for 10 years - five as primary car. Sold it and bought a Miata in 1990.

It's a long story so I'll cliff note it: After three fucking months, including two trips to court (fuck judges and their dumb shit BTW), I finally got the damn title for my Camaro. I dropped it off at the shop yesterday to get the front end looked at and a couple of other little things. Got some new seat belts ordered. Things are finally progressing, a little bit at a time. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sandman said:

It's a long story so I'll cliff note it: After three fucking months, including two trips to court (fuck judges and their dumb shit BTW), I finally got the damn title for my Camaro. I dropped it off at the shop yesterday to get the front end looked at and a couple of other little things. Got some new seat belts ordered. Things are finally progressing, a little bit at a time. 

Could we get just a little more detail on this issue

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

Could we get just a little more detail on this issue

Guy A owned the car, he sold it to his brother, Guy B. They never bothered to switch the title over. I bought it from Guy B. He gave me the title (out of state) and I followed the steps listed on my county's website (not in TX, BTW) and got my ducks in a row. Had to get a court order that told the state to issue a title in my name. The judge thought the steps her county provided weren't enough and kept trying to add extra shit. I finally pushed back enough to where she left to ask another judge his opinion on it. She came back 10 mins later and gave me what I wanted, meaning she could've had this wrapped up over a month ago. Fucking ridiculous.

• Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

TexasEd what chemical strip was that?

16 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

It's usually an aircraft paint remover of some sort, that's what I've seen/used in the past.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/aircraft-aircraftremover-gal-gar2000/12072930-P

Yup, you can see the can of it in the bottom left of this pic:

1F6990B3-71A1-4F8B-84EF-8E06CF0C9DF7.jpeg

You definitely want a well ventilated area for this stuff, it is extremely potent.  I stripped the Zolatone finish on the interior of my 1963 Airstream with it.  I had the door off and all of the windows out, when I did that, and worked in small sections.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 11:05 AM, Pescado_Rojo said:

The market for custom restomods is crazy. You can drop $500K-$1M on a restomod air cooled 911 from Singer or Guntherwerks, $250K+ for a custom Land Rover Defender from ECD, $150K+ for a custom 60 series Land Cruiser from Coresetti Cruiser, and on and on. (I'd probably give up a pinky toe for a Singer 911, though)

If you're into the Jeep and Wagoneer scene, try these guys. They are out in Columbus, Tx.

JeepHeritage.com

Edited by Bevo&Pevo

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly making progress on my '79 Camaro. I got my seats installed, that wasn't too bad. I have the carpet but I held off trying to put that in because I wanted to see how my "Tall Person" seat extension brackets would work. Turns out they work great, so I can do the carpet later. My brand new seat belts that Ebay "Guaranteed" would fit...did not. It wasn't even close. But I went to the salvage yard and got one for $9.00, so that took away some of the sting. 

After that, I finally got to take my wife on a short cruise. She's only somewhat scared to ride in it, lol.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Slowly making progress on my '79 Camaro. I got my seats installed, that wasn't too bad. I have the carpet but I held off trying to put that in because I wanted to see how my "Tall Person" seat extension brackets would work. Turns out they work great, so I can do the carpet later. My brand new seat belts that Ebay "Guaranteed" would fit...did not. It wasn't even close. But I went to the salvage yard and got one for $9.00, so that took away some of the sting. 

After that, I finally got to take my wife on a short cruise. She's only somewhat scared to ride in it, lol.

That last part might turn into a feature.

and it's time to choose the "correct" shade of Iris Blue for my MGA. The shop sent 3 samples and I am not sure any are what I remember the car being. I asked if we could take a time out until June when the national MGA club meets in Memphis. I could drive over and compare a lot easier. On the other hand no one knows exactly what the shade of Iris Blue was 60 years ago. Most paint codes have changed and the original was methyl cellulose based.

• Like 1

and it's time to choose the "correct" shade of Iris Blue for my MGA. The shop sent 3 samples and I am not sure any are what I remember the car being. I asked if we could take a time out until June when the national MGA club meets in Memphis. I could drive over and compare a lot easier. On the other hand no one knows exactly what the shade of Iris Blue was 60 years ago. Most paint codes have changed and the original was methyl cellulose based.

This post would be better with pics.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

I prefer the paint chip in the middle. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

22 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

This post would be better with pics.

18 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I prefer the paint chip in the middle. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6591f4fb5f1a2f9cd6d5914fa7ae7c96.jpeg

This is what I found. It's not a Baby Blue. It's closer to a Carolina Blue.

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/paint_color_reference_mg

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

https://www.teglerizer.com/mgcolors/

This morning I changed the bulbs on the old 911 to LED. The lights were just not good. It's amazing how lights have improved so much in 30 years. The lights on the 2022 Ford Edge were exponentially better than what was on the '98 911. Here is with one of them changed. I'm looking forward to driving around a bit tonight before the US soccer game with Mexico.

IMG_6549D.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

image.thumb.jpeg.6591f4fb5f1a2f9cd6d5914fa7ae7c96.jpeg

This is what I found. It's not a Baby Blue. It's closer to a Carolina Blue.

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/paint_color_reference_mg

I have seen that chart multiple times and a few others. Also i appreciate the website you linked but I have been there too.  The issue isn't that I didn't want to post but that everyone sees things different on different computers. And the issue really is not that I don't know what I want. But here goes with pictures. The car is a 1962 MGA. Here is my twin in early 80's. Both were same color - Iris Blue. Dad took his trunk lid to PPG store and matched the inside so it's close to how it was originally painted. Not quite the same as paint chart above

4.jpg

Here are the two plates the shop sent back

1.jpg

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Apparently i went past the time to edit.

(1) is 1979 VW Florida Blue which is supposed to be an exact match for Iris Blue. (4) is Iris Blue using todays paint. It also may be correct. The shop manager has a 1960 MG in Iris Blue that has never been painted and a triumph in his shop that has never been painted. He swears (4) is a match using hidden spots like inside trunk etc. he also sent me this piece that was cut of my car and buffed down to to show what the paint was that dad used.

2.jpg

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

This morning I changed the bulbs on the old 911 to LED. The lights were just not good. It's amazing how lights have improved so much in 30 years. The lights on the 2022 Ford Edge were exponentially better than what was on the '98 911. Here is with one of them changed. I'm looking forward to driving around a bit tonight before the US soccer game with Mexico.

IMG_6549D.JPG

It's funny you mention the lights.  Last night I was driving down I-295 in Philly trying to get to the airport.  There was this car ahead of me I could barely make out, and I was closing on it fast.  It was a late 70s Datsun 210.  The rear lights were barely visible, and when I got a round him, he had one headlight out and the remaining one looked like it was only shooting about two or three car lengths ahead.  He was probably foot to the floor at 60mph and there was traffic at 85 dodging and weaving all around him.  Between low speed and poor lighting, he could've wound up a wet spot in the middle of the road.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

(1) is 1979 VW Florida Blue which is supposed to be an exact match for Iris Blue. (4) is Iris Blue using todays paint. It also may be correct. The shop manager has a 1960 MG in Iris Blue that has never been painted and a triumph in his shop that has never been painted. He swears (4) is a match using hidden spots like inside trunk etc. he also sent me this piece that was cut of my car and buffed down to to show what the paint was that Dad used.

2.jpg

The ability to only edit for 2-3 minutes stinks.

The problem is not really trying to get 1960 version but to get what I thought the 1960 version was. I really liked the color we used in 80's and it may be a match. But the samples (4) don't seem to be the same as the picture from the 80's

34 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

I have seen that chart multiple times and a few others. Also i appreciate the website you linked but I have been there too.  The issue isn't that I didn't want to post but that everyone sees things different on different computers. And the issue really is not that I don't know what I want. But here goes with pictures. The car is a 1962 MGA. Here is my twin in early 80's. Both were same color - Iris Blue. Dad took his trunk lid to PPG store and matched the inside so it's close to how it was originally painted. Not quite the same as paint chart above

4.jpg

1.jpg

Teasing aside, I think that the one on the right looks like a pretty reasonable approximation. 

I understand the appeal of wanting to keep things as original as possible, but with paint, you have to keep in mind that the aging process has likely affected your original piece, and also, the original paint color may well be out of production, possibly because the exact formula turned out to be carcinogenic or something. 

59 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

It's funny you mention the lights.  Last night I was driving down I-295 in Philly trying to get to the airport.  There was this car ahead of me I could barely make out, and I was closing on it fast.  It was a late 70s Datsun 210.  The rear lights were barely visible, and when I got a round him, he had one headlight out and the remaining one looked like it was only shooting about two or three car lengths ahead.  He was probably foot to the floor at 60mph and there was traffic at 85 dodging and weaving all around him.  Between low speed and poor lighting, he could've wound up a wet spot in the middle of the road.

It will be fun tonight to see the difference the new bulbs will make. 

That's scary to see a car on the road and not see very much of it because of terrible lighting. 

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

4.jpg

1.jpg

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

(1) is 1979 VW Florida Blue which is supposed to be an exact match for Iris Blue. (4) is Iris Blue using todays paint. It also may be correct. The shop manager has a 1960 MG in Iris Blue that has never been painted and a triumph in his shop that has never been painted. He swears (4) is a match using hidden spots like inside trunk etc. he also sent me this piece that was cut of my car and buffed down to to show what the paint was that dad used.

2.jpg

I think you can bang your head against the wall for a while longer before finally making a decision. When you first put up #1 & #4 I thought #1 looked more like a match, on the chart, than did #4.

I also had a minor horrific flashback because my mother, backing her VW Beetle (in that color) out of the garage ran over my tricycle. So I needed a bit of therapy for a moment. I'm sure whatever you pick will be great.

It is interesting though to factor in how a paint is now made versus 50 years ago and how that impacts fading & aging. It is a bit of a conundrum.

For shits & giggles I did look up the VW 1979 chart, which I am sure you have seen, and here it is:

1979-import-color-book_page-0013-1979-toyota-triumph-volkswagen--volvo-paint-codes--color-chart.webp

Edited by PittsburghTiger

Edit: just saw you had it scanned already.

I'm dealing with the same thing for my Fiat 124 Spider. The original color was orange and I'm leaning towards blue (color code 462). The problem is getting the proper shade, and the new Fiats that are painted blue have the same 462 code but look different. I have a similar paint code card like was posted for the MGs and have DuPont codes, but a lot of paint shops can't properly match using that old code, especially if the old paint has lead and the new paints don't.

There are paint companies that use digital scanning for paint matching. If you're not already part of an online FB group for your model, join one. You can probably get someone who has the same color in original who is willing to take it to get scanned and send you the code. That's what I plan to do.

This is the color I'm probably going with, but with a black top to match the black interior:

c640cee5b17373eb216655b276235895.jpg
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Modessit said:

I'm dealing with the same thing for my Fiat 124 Spider. The original color was orange and I'm leaving towards blue (color code 462). The problem is getting the proper shade, and the new Fiats that are painted blue have the same 462 code but look different. I have a similar paint code card like was posted for the MGs and have DuPont codes, but a lot of paint shops can't properly match using that old code, especially if the old paint has lead and the new paints don't.

There are paint companies that use digital scanning for paint matching. If you're not already part of an online FB group for your model, join one. You can probably get someone who has the same color in original who is willing to take it to get scanned and send you the code. That's what I plan to do.

I posted this but the shop has compared card 4 to two different, never been painted original cars and it matches. My problem is that is doesn;t seem to match what was called original in  80's

I posted this but the shop has compared card 4 to two different, never been painted original cars and it matches. My problem is that is doesn;t seem to match what was called original in  80's
Yeah, I saw that after my post and edited. I'm assuming they"re using oil-based paint and not water-based. Is it single-stage or multi-stage? And I've heard different primers can affect the final shade a bit. The original was probably had lead and you might not be able to get a true match without lots of miniscule tweaks of the shade. I think the one on the right looks closest to the car pic, but you'd have to have them side by side to know for sure.

I don't think most people would notice a difference unless it was sitting next to one that was original, but in the end it's you that had to be happy with it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My car was originally orange and the first picture is a car (not mine) with original paint. The second picture is a different car with "new" pearl paint. Most people who don't know the car would never know the difference, but I can tell. And it would bother me.

d30f7bbd4c2831fe0d693a097d1f6426.jpgfbdc0eeb80f63cda1d07207e68cc86b7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I try to keep the truck looking original, but I put in LED taillights for safety - mine and others.
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Incredible difference last night driving with the new LEDs. It's so much better. I think I still have to line them up a bit better, which is very easy on that model, but, the safety difference was just crazy good. A well-spent $500. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1