Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Put a current day price tag on that set up.  Four race ready vintage cobras and a carrier. 

When I lived in Portland a coworker built a 427 Cobra kit car in his garage. It was a perfect clone and could be driven instead of a trailer queen. I’ve been in fast cars but that was an absolute beast, a brutally powerful car. It was like you were saddled on the 427.

I know the 60's were full of crazy stuff but a Panther Pink car just doesn't do it for me.
The hi-impact color ($14.07 option) wasn't used a lot for the reason you mentioned. However, if you have the Panther Pink/Moulin Rouge (FM3 code) you are a lucky individual as it will add thousands more to the asking price of a car.

I personally love it, but it looks better on smaller cars vice bigger bigger-bodied cars of that era.

The 61 Catalina and Blue Continental stood out to me because they had high offers ($180k and $100k respectively) that weren’t enough to close the deal.

I can’t imagine the market for 61 Catalina’s is expanding, no matter how cool you think yours is. My general impression was that the market on lesser known 60s cars may be softening a bit as the guys who wanted those cars in high school fades from the scene. In contrast, there were some high dollars being thrown around for early 2000s vehicles like the Dodge Ram with a Viper engine in it. Things like that were selling pretty well. North of $50k for a 20 year old low mileage car.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2023 at 7:31 AM, Mother mopar said:

The hi-impact color ($14.07 option) wasn't used a lot for the reason you mentioned. However, if you have the Panther Pink/Moulin Rouge (FM3 code) you are a lucky individual as it will add thousands more to the asking price of a car.

I personally love it, but it looks better on smaller cars vice bigger bigger-bodied cars of that era.

well they also had Lemon twist with the Mod Top. That was out there also. A good friend in high school had a Cuda with it.  He raised all sort of mess in it - like it couldn't be identified. Probably was only one yellow Cuda with that roof in the entire state.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

well they also had Lemon twist with the Mod Top. That was out there also. A good friend in high school had a Cuda with it.  He raised all sort of mess in it - like it couldn't be identified. Probably was only one yellow Cuda with that roof in the entire state.

There's a hellraising teenage boy with a Miami/Mexico Blue (at least in Porsche colors - don't know what special location GM has appended to their version of that shade of blue...) Camaro ZL1 in my neighborhood. His girlfriend lives down the street from me, and I've been (and still am) tempted to write him a well-intended and politely-worded note about how he needs to be more chill with driving on his "home turf" due to how distinctive his car is. 

I haven't left a note for a variety of reasons, but I may try to talk to him one on one if the opportunity ever presents itself. He's not the biggest menace to the neighborhood (that honor goes to the kid in the JDM A80 Supra...) but I suspect that he's probably responsible for a lot of the burnout marks that are appearing in greater and greater numbers... 

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I can imagine driving an Auburn in Depression era Texas, checking out my oil patch in Mexia, hauling ass down a dirt road.

Then changing a LOT of flat tires.  

I had an elder cousin who was the most gearhead of gear heads who lived outside Quanah.  He told me back in the pre-war period, when he was a teen,  it wasn't uncommon for them to have to change a flat just to drive the 10 or so miles to town and back, and often twice.   

• Like 1

That Gladiator that Mr. Fuck posted would have been waaaaay better with a Golden Eagle homage instead.

I know I was posting with tongue firmly planted in cheek, but the black with gold trim does look pretty damned good.

There was a 1979 Z28 that was the thing - but not quite the thing. Black with gold trim, no thunderchicken . It’s went something like 20k less than the Bandits real deal Trans Am.

10 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Then changing a LOT of flat tires.  

I had an elder cousin who was the most gearhead of gear heads who lived outside Quanah.  He told me back in the pre-war period, when he was a teen,  it wasn't uncommon for them to have to change a flat just to drive the 10 or so miles to town and back, and often twice.   

I’ve heard that story before  

image.gif.63ccc8a2f45a1573e0f9aad2abf90df1.gif

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

I know I was posting with tongue firmly planted in cheek, but the black with gold trim does look pretty damned good.

There was a 1979 Z28 that was the thing - but not quite the thing. Black with gold trim, no thunderchicken . It’s went something like 20k less than the Bandits real deal Trans Am.

I hated the Bandit style T/As back then which had all the decals to mask they had a wheezy putrid engine in them. Had a buddy in high school with a 70 1/2 TA that was a serious bad ass car. We also had a 64 Dodge Dart we dropped a Hemi in. I had a 70 442. We ate those thunder chickens all night long.

I hated the Bandit style T/As back then which had all the decals to mask they had a wheezy putrid engine in them. Had a buddy in high school with a 70 1/2 TA that was a serious bad ass car. We also had a 64 Dodge Dart we dropped a Hemi in. I had a 70 442. We ate those thunder chickens all night long.

No question the late 70s was a malaise in many ways including power plants.

But I was just talking about the look. I really liked the black with gold trim.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So after they managed to put the 4th power steering pump in (Chinese made parts, rrrr), I picked up my Mustang to take to GoodGuys in Ft. Worth tomorrow.

They had this real 66 Shelby there when I got there. Original owner.

1627bc6298abaa14c2290679a4cf1085.jpg

I think I will tint my windows.  Maybe not that dark but will tint them.  Might do it before I even install the glass.  I'll have to research that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

I think I will tint my windows.  Maybe not that dark but will tint them.  Might do it before I even install the glass.  I'll have to research that.

They may be tinted.  I think we may also be seeing shadow from the partially covered windows.  If you look closely, the car cover is only half off so I could take a pic.

On 9/24/2023 at 5:05 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Only two trips to the auto parts store during the swap - probably a new record for me.

116d1666adda107ffba904f2cfc56f53.jpg78879242a86e8305539fb6744edb4166.jpg

What in the Rube Goldbergian hell am I looking at? I get that it's a brake master cylinder, but why the hell does it go into a manifold with a sensor in it and only two lines coming out? Only thing I can think of is that the sensor tells you if you've lost pressure in the front or rear lines.

What in the Rube Goldbergian hell am I looking at? I get that it's a brake master cylinder, but why the hell does it go into a manifold with a sensor in it and only two lines coming out? Only thing I can think of is that the sensor tells you if you've lost pressure in the front or rear lines.
That's the brake sensor light. Indicates proportioning valve being tripped due to loss of fluid in front or rear.

Nothing going into the manifold.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Well since it looks like we have Kansas in the bag, here are some pics I took at GoodGuys today in Ft. Worth. I gotta say, it was a bit overwhelming. So many nice cars that I almost became desensitized. I was certainly worn out and we didn’t even see everything.

35e4ed49a17d6c347bdc7c95c7867bb2.jpg
0efacf22c912c344f3a97553f2409502.jpg
a0d49ba2f2e1d1fbbec8ee72f2d35993.jpg
7c7aabd6389cc7eab97c39960e59aa2c.jpg
aa76d6232377851b5ee3f2395520d97f.jpg
The shoebox with the scooter pretty much nails the demographic.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Drool 1

abab6b15489ded141679a9c1a7b4df5e.jpg
e6789aa05f4f565dcf3b75932c6537b7.jpg
8f5ea06449950216be81a6201ab3728b.jpg
21121d803ec3f7c43386df7e3e3e3a2f.jpg
c175842b59c3ca9a268f432c08577040.jpg
5f12bcabd94e9524b4c7dbf49f6707b1.jpg
So I walked a little less than five miles. We were there about four hours and saw half to two thirds of the cars/displays. I gotta say, as a show car, it was a little pricey. I couldn’t see doing this one more than once a year. Chad Jr. thought it was very cool, but he was worn out. Chasing around the asphalt in 90plus degree heat was a bit draining.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

All the old cars have them, it is a proportioning valve with a brake sensor (attached via wire) that indicates when you have a pressure shift from front to rear or vice versa. When that pressure shifts past the plunger it trips the ground and the wire is now live and connects to an idiot light in the dash.

Some mount on the master cylinder others off the frame rail, brake booster, etc. all manufacturer-dependent.

Here is mine mounted vertically on the driver's side frame rail. 125d85dd0c29bc2f7c32052a40391642.jpg
  • Like 2

Well since it looks like we have Kansas in the bag, here are some pics I took at GoodGuys today in Ft. Worth. I gotta say, it was a bit overwhelming. So many nice cars that I almost became desensitized. I was certainly worn out and we didn’t even see everything.

35e4ed49a17d6c347bdc7c95c7867bb2.jpg
0efacf22c912c344f3a97553f2409502.jpg
a0d49ba2f2e1d1fbbec8ee72f2d35993.jpg
7c7aabd6389cc7eab97c39960e59aa2c.jpg
aa76d6232377851b5ee3f2395520d97f.jpg
The shoebox with the scooter pretty much nails the demographic.

I love the 58 Impala; one of my favorites.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I love the 58 Impala; one of my favorites.

My dream car is the 58 Impala convertible. I got to take a ride around Havana in one a while back. It was spectaculars. They’re had to come by though. From what I understand ‘58 was a recession year and they just didn’t make as many of them.

11 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

My dream car is the 58 Impala convertible. I got to take a ride around Havana in one a while back. It was spectaculars. They’re had to come by though. From what I understand ‘58 was a recession year and they just didn’t make as many of them.

One just so happened to be featured in the BaT daily email today. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1958-chevrolet-impala-42/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2023-10-03

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

That is a beauty.  I see there's a lot of time left on the bid.  I haven't seen a convertible go for less than 100k in a while. There was a stereo ad back in the 80s or 90s that featured one of these, white with red interior.  And that was it for me.  I was sold. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My dad sent me these this morning. He was down getting the truck inspected and he spotted this 71 Duster with a 440 in the back spot of this guy's garage.

The owner has some issues with space due to stuffing a big block in there. It would be a nose-heavy SOB to drive but I'd enjoy every second driving the wheels off of it. 2587060a62af0b0d82b308e9ed443bcd.jpg625d24fd114ff8be4e321e8853d5cef9.jpga76a329b72ee8c88b50a07e94f8851d9.jpg

c58369a8bdd9d3b508614416c8722ec3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1