Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Had to drop by this shop in Dallas for non classic related items.
1eb7362fad65b2248e804ad885e5b892.jpg

a5521bdedf2df4e9fc0587bace18fe88.jpg

b14abc449f2e2e4c6185d4053c67b3ca.jpg
f34f3600fc8df92e60abfd7fd74c2978.jpg
Maupin Metals.
7c28fa883a9e7b41f625d73f609a03a6.jpg
573c88e47a9e7501491f3320af8ebfb3.jpg

Weirdest GM ad I’ve ever seen:
7def1cd0f28fa97be82596a52c3a2e64.jpg

That looks like a tribute ad for the show Supernatural which ran 15 seasons on the CW. One of the iconic props on the show was the Winchester brothers 65 4 door Impala, which later was replaced by a 67. That symbol in the trunk is part of the family iconography. Not a pentagram.

On 7/25/2023 at 6:37 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

*cross-posting to the modern car thread too 

So I had one of those days the other day when my personal email inbox was overflowing with promotional emails from companies that I've done business with, events I've participated in, etc., and somehow the glut was like a Black Friday shitshow. 

So I went through and unsubscribed to 50 or so emails that I don't need to receive regularly. One of them was from California Car Cover, and they had a little box on the Unsubscribe page asking for my reason why I want off their list. 

I've been very pleased with the two covers of theirs that I use to protect my summer cars during their winter hibernation (1971 Buick Skylark convertible; 2016 E63s AMG wagon) and I told them as much, and how I simply don't need another until I hit the lottery and can build another garage to store cars in, or until I swap one of them out of the rotation, which I never intend to do. And as such, I no longer needed their regular email correspondence or their print catalogs, but that if I ever needed another cover, that I wouldn't go anywhere else. 

A few minutes ago, I got an email from someone at the company thanking me for my kind words, and telling me that he didn't see a car duster in my order history, so they were going to send me one free of charge. 

Really nice to see, and the kind of goodwill towards customers that I think has become all too rare these days. 

Their products are top notch, and their service is very attentive - when I ordered my AMG cover, I put a little note on the order form about how I installed a standing star hood ornament rather than the more flush-mounted stock style, and they called me in advance of constructing my order to talk about how to adjust for that. Even though it now required non-stock measurements, they drew it up and didn't change me a penny extra. 

Anyway, just wanted to give some context for plugging a company that I'm truly happy to do business with.

Check them out if you're in the market: https://www.calcarcover.com/

On 7/25/2023 at 7:19 PM, Chad Fuck said:

I have one of their covers for my Mustang. It’s very nice.

My cover for the ‘68 Riviera came from them. It is top notch 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/14/2023 at 11:54 AM, Buzzrock said:

Buddy saw this in person recently

0fa456552dc4a6fc5568634e956765ec.jpg
d06ed0f3173ae4463abbc3e5ae22415e.jpg
56d3bd305e064e4f035f7bc8cc2f319f.jpg
43595b4ca731e091fccba927e8746670.jpg
f68eb36e60846802f0bc639d18aa208b.jpg
a66e6e94bd3db136f6b792a68e9021c9.jpg
2f32fcc572aeb41d97b1a2ba74d562db.jpg
bfe006b9982c9494849870ed4272f9da.jpg
937fc0e8d70c00642f34da2b425abee9.jpg

On 8/2/2023 at 5:00 PM, Mr. Drummond said:

7DB59700-8F04-4114-BA88-C7E94BDDC77E.thumb.jpeg.2951cf8b3bb180998dfc4398ea16eef3.jpeg746DF991-4A7E-4830-AFA6-CF649813D729.thumb.jpeg.592355ea7fc2322b52276c02ea60a643.jpeg574907BA-490C-4971-B3E9-E46BBF0511B6.thumb.jpeg.aed59c990d4f4db4dd236a4a3581ded7.jpeg

It is a ‘74.   It has a rebuilt S engine with 930 oil pump and cooler, new rockers, S pistons.  Cams from a 3.2. Rebuilt transmission.  The work was completed in Nov 22.  

Paint is pretty great for an early 2000s paint job.  

interior was refreshed in 2019 with seats being completely redone. 

Oh My God Wow GIF

Oh my…….

200.gif

waynes world penny GIF

On 8/2/2023 at 5:00 PM, Mr. Drummond said:

7DB59700-8F04-4114-BA88-C7E94BDDC77E.thumb.jpeg.2951cf8b3bb180998dfc4398ea16eef3.jpeg746DF991-4A7E-4830-AFA6-CF649813D729.thumb.jpeg.592355ea7fc2322b52276c02ea60a643.jpeg574907BA-490C-4971-B3E9-E46BBF0511B6.thumb.jpeg.aed59c990d4f4db4dd236a4a3581ded7.jpeg

It is a ‘74.   It has a rebuilt S engine with 930 oil pump and cooler, new rockers, S pistons.  Cams from a 3.2. Rebuilt transmission.  The work was completed in Nov 22.  

Paint is pretty great for an early 2000s paint job.  

interior was refreshed in 2019 with seats being completely redone. 

Love it! So much! Love the blue!

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

c169fbc655e3aeeba2c8e5e565cbb825.jpg

My son bought his 03 Excursion to pull his RV. Eddie Bauer. 7.3 powerstroke diesel 471k miles but never wrecked. New paint, new shoes and wheels, new grill, lights, mirrors, running boards, etc. bought an 08 f250 chassis to replace the suspension. Simple engine work, new ps pump, ac, and modern brakes. He gutted the interior to build a cool AV system (I had him working in my car stereo bays from 12; don’t recommend as it’s putting your kid to work on a pirate ship). He built custom enclosures, refurbed the leather, added sound deadening everywhere, and installed a beast of an AV head unit. A 32” tv and ps5 in the back for the kids is all that’s really left. Did most of the work himself; I’m proud of him doing something like this at 42. And knocked it out fast.

Now he wants to do similar to my 99 4Runner.

He probably needs to build his own biodiesel still on his land for when the fuel is illegal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A friend back in my hometown was texting with me while he was on a fishing trip down to the Gulf with his father. He asked me when I was going to sell him my mother’s 1971 Plymouth Duster Twister. The car is one of only two things I specifically asked my mom to give to me in her will. The other was a piano from the 19th century that sits in her house.

The car needs a lot of work, but the thing is I want it to be restored and running like it was the day my mother got it. It was the first new vehicle she had been able to buy. I want her to see that thing running again while she is here. I have talked with my mom and I suggested to my friend that I’ll split ownership of the car mainly because I have zero desire to ever live in my hometown and he is a never moving away due to his family and his business. I told him I’m willing to split the cost on restoring it (the engine block is still in good shape which is great), but he can keep it at his place since he can get the work done there. He also wants my mom to see the thing on the road again. I think I am going to do this because he has restored several other cars in his free time and he is one of the few people I would trust with this car. I plan on leaving the mainland for Hawaii next year and then hopping off to other places to live around the world so this seems like a good way to ensure the car will be taken care of. I wish I had some pictures of the car that aren’t just something from a Google image search. This thing will be awesome once it’s restored though and I know it’ll make my mom really happy.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

A friend back in my hometown was texting with me while he was on a fishing trip down to the Gulf with his father. He asked me when I was going to sell him my mother’s 1971 Plymouth Duster Twister. The car is one of only two things I specifically asked my mom to give to me in her will. The other was a piano from the 19th century that sits in her house.

The car needs a lot of work, but the thing is I want it to be restored and running like it was the day my mother got it. It was the first new vehicle she had been able to buy. I want her to see that thing running again while she is here. I have talked with my mom and I suggested to my friend that I’ll split ownership of the car mainly because I have zero desire to ever live in my hometown and he is a never moving away due to his family and his business. I told him I’m willing to split the cost on restoring it (the engine block is still in good shape which is great), but he can keep it at his place since he can get the work done there. He also wants my mom to see the thing on the road again. I think I am going to do this because he has restored several other cars in his free time and he is one of the few people I would trust with this car. I plan on leaving the mainland for Hawaii next year and then hopping off to other places to live around the world so this seems like a good way to ensure the car will be taken care of. I wish I had some pictures of the car that aren’t just something from a Google image search. This thing will be awesome once it’s restored though and I know it’ll make my mom really happy.

Great that you trust someone that much.  Just sharing a car seems like a bad idea.  You would probably be better off just selling it to him outright and negotiate visiting privileges.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Great that you trust someone that much.  Just sharing a car seems like a bad idea.  You would be better off just selling it to him outright and negotiate visiting priveledges.

I don’t have any qualms about sharing it and the only way I will get my mom to let it go forward is to ensure it is not sold outright. Her thoughts about the car are most important since she was 21 or so at the time and her and my dad were just four years into their marriage when they got this car.

If my younger brother had any actual interest in restoring it I would do it with him. He’s got a young family and no time for that though. My friend is someone I have known since junior high and his wife was in my 1st grade class so I trust that level of knowing someone. I’m not real material-oriented, but the memories my mom had with that car are too much to just outright sell it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You might want to get some valuations on it before you embark on a perilous and expensive restoration journey. The car itself has little value on the market.

The Twister was a cosmetic package echoing the Duster 340 but was only available with a slant six or the 318 v8.

A rotisserie restoration to make it showroom fresh will be outrageously expensive on a car that might have more actual value as a running survivor. A restored car will make a trailer queen out of a car that should be driven and enjoyed. I’m not a mopar expert but there are plenty out there. It might just need a some engine/trans work, a brake job, and general cleanup to get her running.

Good luck!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Do you have pictures of the car or fender tag? I ask because you may have a desirable car and your friend knows that.

You mention it needs work but are we talking metal work, engine work, etc.? Metalwork & paint/body are expensive and it may not be worth it financially if it's just a slant 6-duster. I know you are emotionally invested but it could break you bud. If you don't want to post the fender tag online DM me and I can decode it for you. If you have broadcast sheet I can decode that for you as well..free99

I say all this as I guy who has restored my share of Mopars and they are not cheap. Especially if you want to go to a factory floor resto with date-coded and NOS parts. You can be $100k easy on a $45k car very quickly even if it's a 340 duster.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

You might want to get some valuations on it before you embark on a perilous and expensive restoration journey. The car itself has little value on the market.

The Twister was a cosmetic package echoing the Duster 340 but was only available with a slant six or the 318 v8.

A rotisserie restoration to make it showroom fresh will be outrageously expensive on a car that might have more actual value as a running survivor. A restored car will make a trailer queen out of a car that should be driven and enjoyed. I’m not a mopar expert but there are plenty out there. It might just need a some engine/trans work, a brake job, and general cleanup to get her running.

Good luck!

While I was not a gearhead like my father (He was born in Germany the January after the war ended and started his apprenticeship in vehicle repair at age 9), I did pick up bits and pieces along the way about cars I have liked. I remember wanting to get a 65 Mustang in high school. He kiboshed that because he had no desire to keep a Ford on the road. I got a Chevy Camaro instead and he was right about the reliability of the car. My father was the absolute most amazing car mechanic I ever witnessed in action. I’ll never forget him tying a chain around the diesel engine in his GMC Sierra when I was maybe 7 or so and hoisting it out of the truck and suspending it from a sturdy branch on an oak tree by himself to work on it) had this single-minded drive to not stop until something was fixed. It was something I spoke about during his eulogy 12 years ago. He had three older Mercedes. One was a 1959, A 1970 and a 1979. He could do anything in life he decided to do, like building a house for example, using only one of those yellow DIY books. My mom still has the book and the house turns 40 this December.

He and my mom had fun with this car. It is a 318 V8 and many of my gearhead friends back home could have a much more in-depth conversation about it. He also put cherry bombs in it because why wouldn’t a young guy do that? As to your points it’s a job that will be a great deal cosmetic. If things under the hood are just okay the cost is still going to lean more towards redoing the interior and paint job. It needed a lot of work when it was retired on the interior. Luckily my friend has a garage that he uses on his property to work on cars he has restored. He lives a few miles outside of town and has ample room to store the car. He did one restoration job for his wife and another for his daughter I believe. He has disposable income because of the success of his business, one which I told him to start 12 years ago when it did not make sense for him to do it. Now he can pretty much do whatever he wants even with a wife and five kids.

I have zero kids and no wife so spending some money on this is worthwhile, but pretty much just because it would be for my mom’s enjoyment to see the car running again. She’s been diagnosed with two different forms of cancer in the last nine years (non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and Chronic Myeloid Leukemia along with having a small amount of cancerous tissue removed from her face) and it’s a blessing that she is still here. She did a lot for my brother and I when we did not deserve it, but she absolutely deserves to see that car brought back to life as close as possible to how it was when she first drove it. I think it’s an awesome car and I remember how it ran when I was really young. It was such a fun ride, especially that first jump from a stop light to get going. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Read MM’s last sentence several times before you get into this.

I appreciated his perspective and advice. I think people on here, more often than not, are helpful and like to share their expertise in what they excel at, which is pretty awesome. I live once and I try to make sure it’s an enjoyable once. If I had responsibilities beyond myself and my two shih tzus (females that are 6 years old and 8 months old)I would probably not be so willing to do this as my finances would be directed elsewhere. My birthday was last week and my mother’s is ten days before mine so every year I get a quick reminder that she is not getting any younger. The overriding motto I carry with me is to “Do what you can while you can.” It’s something I tell people regularly and this is something that falls in line with that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

While I was not a gearhead like my father (He was born in Germany the January after the war ended and started his apprenticeship in vehicle repair at age 9), I did pick up bits and pieces along the way about cars I have liked. I remember wanting to get a 65 Mustang in high school. He kiboshed that because he had no desire to keep a Ford on the road. I got a Chevy Camaro instead and he was right about the reliability of the car. My father was the absolute most amazing car mechanic I ever witnessed in action. I’ll never forget him tying a chain around the diesel engine in his GMC Sierra when I was maybe 7 or so and hoisting it out of the truck and suspending it from a sturdy branch on an oak tree by himself to work on it) had this single-minded drive to not stop until something was fixed. It was something I spoke about during his eulogy 12 years ago. He had three older Mercedes. One was a 1959, A 1970 and a 1979. He could do anything in life he decided to do, like building a house for example, using only one of those yellow DIY books. My mom still has the book and the house turns 40 this December.
He and my mom had fun with this car. It is a 318 V8 and many of my gearhead friends back home could have a much more in-depth conversation about it. He also put cherry bombs in it because why wouldn’t a young guy do that? As to your points it’s a job that will be a great deal cosmetic. If things under the hood are just okay the cost is still going to lean more towards redoing the interior and paint job. It needed a lot of work when it was retired on the interior. Luckily my friend has a garage that he uses on his property to work on cars he has restored. He lives a few miles outside of town and has ample room to store the car. He did one restoration job for his wife and another for his daughter I believe. He has disposable income because of the success of his business, one which I told him to start 12 years ago when it did not make sense for him to do it. Now he can pretty much do whatever he wants even with a wife and five kids.

I have zero kids and no wife so spending some money on this is worthwhile, but pretty much just because it would be for my mom’s enjoyment to see the car running again. She’s been diagnosed with two different forms of cancer in the last nine years (non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and Chronic Myeloid Leukemia along with having a small amount of cancerous tissue removed from her face) and it’s a blessing that she is still here. She did a lot for my brother and I when we did not deserve it, but she absolutely deserves to see that car brought back to life as close as possible to how it was when she first drove it. I think it’s an awesome car and I remember how it ran when I was really young. It was such a fun ride, especially that first jump from a stop light to get going. 

It’s your car and your money so do whatever you want. I understand cars and sentimentality as I had a 70 442 and would love to have another but can’t come up with the $100k plus to buy one and keep it going.

There is a major difference in time and money between refurbing a survivor and doing a total showroom restoration ( which hopefully fixes a lot of the issues it came from the factory with, like shitty brakes, huge panel gaps, and others like rust). You came here looking for advice. If your mother is ill a total restoration could take a couple years or more as you have to find parts, of which is mostly looking for the weird cosmetic and intricate parts that are outside of mechanicals.

I’d at least speak to our mopar expert here who could give you some great advice.

It’s your car and your money so do whatever you want. I understand cars and sentimentality as I had a 70 442 and would love to have another but can’t come up with the $100k plus to buy one and keep it going.

There is a major difference in time and money between refurbing a survivor and doing a total showroom restoration ( which hopefully fixes a lot of the issues it came from the factory with, like shitty brakes, huge panel gaps, and others like rust). You came here looking for advice. If your mother is ill a total restoration could take a couple years or more as you have to find parts, of which is mostly looking for the weird cosmetic and intricate parts that are outside of mechanicals.

I’d at least speak to our mopar expert here who could give you some great advice.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

You came here looking for advice. 

My original post was made just in terms of sharing the beginning of a restoration of the vehicle. I was not soliciting advice, but I know that invariably some will be offered and that’s pretty cool to see. It was nice on Mopar’s part to do so since he would have a wealth of information to share as the wheels get greased and rolling so to speak. I would imagine I could likely PM him with any questions I might have along the journey judging by how helpful his tone seems. I take in as much information as I can and apply it as best I can to the set of circumstances I have. I think we all attempt to do that, or at least we probably should. My dad was not much of an advice-seeker as he trusted almost no one to work like he did, and with good reason because no one I have ever met had his work ethic. My mother is the polar opposite and she seeks it and freely gives it out. I am probably somewhere in-between the two of them, but more calm like her. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I appreciated his perspective and advice. I think people on here, more often than not, are helpful and like to share their expertise in what they excel at, which is pretty awesome. I live once and I try to make sure it’s an enjoyable once. If I had responsibilities beyond myself and my two shih tzus (females that are 6 years old and 8 months old)I would probably not be so willing to do this as my finances would be directed elsewhere. My birthday was last week and my mother’s is ten days before mine so every year I get a quick reminder that she is not getting any younger. The overriding motto I carry with me is to “Do what you can while you can.” It’s something I tell people regularly and this is something that falls in line with that.

Absolutely. I’m not here to try to tell you or anyone else what to do or not do with their money. Just stating from experience on my 68 Firebird shit gets expensive. Personally I’m not unhappy I spent the money. But holy shit.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

Absolutely. I’m not here to try to tell you or anyone else what to do or not do with their money. Just stating from experience on my 68 Firebird shit gets expensive. Personally I’m not unhappy I spent the money. But holy shit.

Oh my gosh the things that we will pour money into. A 68 Firebird restoration sounds pretty freaking cool. Cars from that era have always fascinated me and I have always admired folks who put money into a classic car or truck. My father said he always regretted selling his ‘57 Chevy (Convertible I believe it was.) He was young and fairly new to America. We all lose something we wish we had not and that was it for him.

One of my friends back home set his sights on a 69 Bronco that was owned at the time by one of his mother’s good friends when we were in high school and not even yet old enough to get our learner’s permit. I remember when he bought it and spent the majority of his free time working on it while we were teenagers. He wound up having a horrific accident in the thing three months after graduation, with details too gruesome to share, but he eventually overhauled the entire thing all over again and he still drives it as best I know. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

My dad was not much of an advice-seeker as he trusted almost no one to work like he did, and with good reason because no one I have ever met had his work ethic. My mother is the polar opposite and she seeks it and freely gives it out. I am probably somewhere in-between the two of them, but more calm like her. 

Lean toward your mother here. You seem like a good, sharp dude. You’ve been given great advice here,  if you want to damn the torpedoes and move ahead, Godspeed. Keep that checkbook stocked.

And most importantly, post pics.

• Like 1

This. Many many times over, this.

If you’re really lucky, for every $2 you put into a vintage car, you’ll get $1 back when it comes time to sell. But that can very easily - very, very easily - go to $3 or $4 to $1.

What does that really mean? Add a few zeros. It isn’t hard to drop $100k on a car worth $25 or $30 at the end of the day.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

@UpperWestside  I think it’s time to switch from the talking about this car to posting pictures of the car which leads to accumulating rep.  Just saying :)

I have zero pictures on me. I know it is still sitting in the same place it was when I last was in Texas two years ago because ever so often I catch my mom on FaceTime in the evening when she is walking her grandkids around sunset. I can ask my mom to take pictures, but I will probably wind up with 2 or three if she remembers to take them.

I am going to attempt to get ahold of my friend that has the 69 Bronco and ask him to go out there and take some pictures and inspect it. He helped me get it back on the road when we were in high school, but the work on it then was pretty light in comparison to what it will take now. He’ll be able to give a fairly accurate assessment of what has to be done. He used to go visit my dad just to talk about cars after I left for college. He’s fairly well versed in car repair himself. He just has a knack for repairing vehicles kind of like my father did. 

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Especially if you lack the tools, expertise, or perhaps the hardest to come by, the time. 

So true.  My '69 Chevy C-10 is pretty basic, but I'll be damned if something doesn't break every other week.  Just switched from a mechanical to an electric fuel pump, which appears to have fixed some issues.  Only to notice the master cylinder leaking fluid out the back.  New MC, power booster, and proportioning valve going in this weekend. 

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

So true.  My '69 Chevy C-10 is pretty basic, but I'll be damned if something doesn't break every other week.  Just switched from a mechanical to an electric fuel pump, which appears to have fixed some issues.  Only to notice the master cylinder leaking fluid out the back.  New MC, power booster, and proportioning valve going in this weekend. 

I had a mechanic do a pretty thorough sorting. Spent some coin, but had it run through and completed in a week. 

Compare to the fuel tank replacement and convertible hydraulics that I have on the list to address myself, and we are a couple years behind schedule. 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I had a mechanic do a pretty thorough sorting. Spent some coin, but had it run through and completed in a week. 

Compare to the fuel tank replacement and convertible hydraulics that I have on the list to address myself, and we are a couple years behind schedule. 

Yeah.  I get to replace a fuel tank in the near future myself.  Right now, it's just easier to change the inline fuel filter every couple months.

On 9/21/2023 at 12:43 AM, Anastasis said:

Put a current day price tag on that set up.  Four race ready vintage cobras and a carrier. 

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

absolutely over.

The line should probably be 10 Million

~ 1 Million per car is the going price at auction but then you create a premium with the bundle of 5 cars, the truck and everything else in that picture.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1