Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Thread has taken a turn into the tiny euro convertible lane -  I'll join with an update on the TR6.

My son and I upgraded the suspension, brakes and steering, so we moved on to the wiring harness.

Engine bay was straightforward, despite the PO making a mess

IMG_7817copy.thumb.jpg.c353c681c32bf3d02cf11fe36ccd1103.jpg

Inside dash also pretty easy, just need to label everything

IMG_7818copy.thumb.jpg.56b4ab503af2d9d42436ab99ca1f5240.jpg

This is what awaits us under the dash this weekend - not great Bob

IMG_7819copy.thumb.jpg.ecffdaeb1c7d60142dc993c976623ecc.jpg

Plan is to ship it off for paint after full removal.  Wife wants British Racing Green.  OK, we like British Racing Green.

Once it's back we get to open this box.

IMG_7823copy.thumb.jpg.71f890a0d23d7af8ce395eaf3db4bdc8.jpg

eb1b4eb9f308d86107c362e7bbe535b4--seen--film-quotes.jpeg.7143c8e5972a7e518aa521b1358ade92.jpeg

I'm afraid to look ... however it's reportedly a brand new modern wiring harness. Removal of said harness is one thing, installation quite another.

I'll use the interim painting period to ponder under the tree of woe, and ask the universe why I've chosen that task.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Thread has taken a turn into the tiny euro convertible lane -  I'll join with an update on the TR6.

My son and I upgraded the suspension, brakes and steering, so we moved on to the wiring harness.

Plan is to ship it off for paint after full removal.  Wife wants British Racing Green.  OK, we like British Racing Green.

eb1b4eb9f308d86107c362e7bbe535b4--seen--film-quotes.jpeg.7143c8e5972a7e518aa521b1358ade92.jpeg

I'm afraid to look ... however it's reportedly a brand new modern wiring harness. Removal of said harness is one thing, installation quite another.

I'll use the interim painting period to ponder under the tree of woe, and ask the universe why I've chosen that task.

Can't fucking wait to see this show.

14 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

That harness looks like every owner screwed around with tapping into it. New harness is a great idea.

Going to Mecum may 19-21 in Indy. Going to go all day Saturday. First time for me and I’m very excited. Hoping to learning and seeing what the market is for some cars. I like C10’s 55/57 bel air, and some others. Not going home with anything but excited to see the process 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Going to Mecum may 19-21 in Indy. Going to go all day Saturday. First time for me and I’m very excited. Hoping to learning and seeing what the market is for some cars. I like C10’s 55/57 bel air, and some others. Not going home with anything but excited to see the process 

My older brother’s Grail classic is a ‘55 Chevy 210 two door post sedan with the 265 V8 & 3 on the tree. 
Total frame off restoration with stock everything, including wheels & hubcaps.

Saw one go for 70k on one of the TV auctions a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

This is the way to do it. Go to Mecum to look. Take your time to buy.

More of the red A body...looks like a demon/duster?? The yellow one on the lift looks like a Dodge as well, coronet maybe.

Love the progress in the car brother, it's always exciting to see them come together.

I don’t get by the shop too often as he usually just sends me pics. It’s essentially a living car museum with the pieces rotating in and out all the time. On the weekends it’s really hard to get shots because he has them all tetris-ed into the shop to lock it up. Mine was in front because they knew I was coming by to test drive it.

Next time I’m in there I’ll try and take some more shots. I usually do because a friend is getting a Bronco worked on and we try and keep each other updated. Plus I was working this in between a morning soccer game and afternoon birthday party.

Long story short, I’ll do better next time.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 8:07 AM, Chad Fuck said:

I don’t get by the shop too often as he usually just sends me pics. It’s essentially a living car museum with the pieces rotating in and out all the time. On the weekends it’s really hard to get shots because he has them all tetris-ed into the shop to lock it up. Mine was in front because they knew I was coming by to test drive it.

Next time I’m in there I’ll try and take some more shots. I usually do because a friend is getting a Bronco worked on and we try and keep each other updated. Plus I was working this in between a morning soccer game and afternoon birthday party.

Long story short, I’ll do better next time.

What shop are you using?  I'm looking for a shop to help me with my mustang.  Im doing the minor stuff on my own, but have had some issues.  I was able to get a mechanic friend to help me tune the carb.  

I think it has some minor rust on the torque box so i'll need to address that soon.

5 hours ago, UTony said:

What shop are you using?  I'm looking for a shop to help me with my mustang.  Im doing the minor stuff on my own, but have had some issues.  I was able to get a mechanic friend to help me tune the carb.  

I think it has some minor rust on the torque box so i'll need to address that soon.

https://wilsonauto.com

He's the go-to guy for vintage cars.  Wilson runs the shop, but the work is actually done by younger guys.  Totally unassuming from the front.  But you roll through the back and he's got everything back there.  It ain't cheap, and like all old cars, he'll give you a laundry list of stuff that needs fixin', but you gotta be firm about what you want done and what you want to save until next time.  I have to say that the work is very high quality.

On 4/22/2023 at 6:53 PM, Chad Fuck said:

A couple of updates pics.

dda4b908a691dbc9a78cdac14d95a89f.jpg

17337bca260f26345cdd0fbac3d48a56.jpg
Lots of cool cars packed in for the weekend.

Not usually a red car fan but that burgundy looks badass. Need photos in the sun when you get it on the road, I bet it really pops.

Edited by Mach 1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Not usually a red car fan but that burgundy looks badass. Need photos in the sun when you get it on the road, I bet it really pops.

It’s the original color, Vintage Burgundy.

Originally it had a black vinyl top which I loved as a period design detail. But then I had to pay a shit ton of money to replace the roof because the vinyl is essentially a sponge that holds moisture against the metal. It’ll never live outside again on my watch. But that’s a cost I just don’t want to risk.
  • Hook 'Em 1

100% NOT a classic car, but I didn’t see anywhere else to ask. I bought a new Ram a few months ago, but by ol’ stand by almost daily driver is an ‘07 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 120k miles. I keep it around because it’s a decent ride, and living on the beach I don’t care if it rusts. Anyway, it may just be in my head because I tend to worry about crap like this , but it seems like there’s a slight hesitation in my transmission when I put it in gear. I’ve never had it serviced, and I hear conflicting op about working on higher mileage transmissions. Any opinions?

22 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

100% NOT a classic car, but I didn’t see anywhere else to ask. I bought a new Ram a few months ago, but by ol’ stand by almost daily driver is an ‘07 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 120k miles. I keep it around because it’s a decent ride, and living on the beach I don’t care if it rusts. Anyway, it may just be in my head because I tend to worry about crap like this , but it seems like there’s a slight hesitation in my transmission when I put it in gear. I’ve never had it serviced, and I hear conflicting op about working on higher mileage transmissions. Any opinions?

Might try here

https://www.jeepforum.com/forums/jeep-grand-cherokee-commander-forums.115/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Should I know what Mr. Norms is?  Seems like he's really in love with his own name.

Short story:
He was a dealer on the west side of Chicago that dealt in Mopar performance parts and cars. He would package the two together and sell those with mother mopar's blessing. Mopar used his dealership amongst a few others as proof of concept of what the people wanted.

Then they would build them from the factory. Much along the lines of what Chevy did with their COPOs line of cars.

His cars bring additional money if they have paperwork and he was the lynchpin of putting big blocks in small body cars.

Long story:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/mr-norm-kraus
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Short story:
He was a dealer on the west side of Chicago that dealt in Mopar performance parts and cars. He would package the two together and sell those with mother mopar's blessing. Mopar used his dealership amongst a few others as proof of concept of what the people wanted.

Then they would build them from the factory. Much along the lines of what Chevy did with their COPOs line of cars.

His cars bring additional money if they have paperwork and he was the lynchpin of putting big blocks in small body cars.

Long story:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/mr-norm-kraus

original.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Memphis for the MGA National Convention. Lots of MGA's - they made over 100,000 so a lot still run. However this event has some higher end ones.

Lines of cars3.thumb.jpg.57855bc6fe328aa68e55f07faa00695d.jpg

Some came in trailers and some had trailers

1.jpg

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I am trying to match Iris Blue. Every one present was slightly different and every owner said they matched the original paint by using a section that doesn't vhange - behind dash etc.

This one was a very special model. They had a racing version but the general population kept blowing the engine so they created a special version with all the race stuff but the standard engine. Only a couple hundred were ever made

Edited by AUinHsv

Trying again because edit timed out

I am trying to match Iris Blue. Every one present was slightly different and every owner said they matched the original paint by using a section that doesn't vhange - behind dash etc.

7a.thumb.jpg.741326305ab29e85044989c5a4a8c863.jpg

This one was a very special model. They had a racing version but the general population kept blowing the engine so they created a special version with all the race stuff but the standard engine. Only a couple hundred were ever made

6a.jpg

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

How do you guys in Texas have your cars registered? Standard? Classic? Antique?

I’m thinking of registering mine as antique so I can run vintage plates. Also they don’t have to be inspected. Of course, inspections may be going away anyhow.

Downside is you’re supposed to be only to and from shows or the like.

Then again, wherever I am it’s a one man show.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

How do you guys in Texas have your cars registered? Standard? Classic? Antique?

I’m thinking of registering mine as antique so I can run vintage plates. Also they don’t have to be inspected. Of course, inspections may be going away anyhow.

Downside is you’re supposed to be only to and from shows or the like.

Then again, wherever I am it’s a one man show.
You can run year specific plates without registering as classic or antique. My is registered normally and I have 1969 truck plates. No restrictions on mileage, etc.

The best old plates are the 1968 Hemisfair white on black car plates.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You can run year specific plates without registering as classic or antique. My is registered normally and I have 1969 truck plates. No restrictions on mileage, etc.

The best old plates are the 1968 Hemisfair white on black car plates.

How long as your car been registered?

I thought straight yom went away in 2011?

I have a set of those 68 plates from my gramps. Now I just need a car to go with.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have hemisfair plates on mine. Standard registration. Only real hurdle is that you have to have dps run the plate to make sure that the numbers aren’t currently in use. You can call them and they can do they over the phone before you register them. 

Edited by Anastasis
Phere
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Tuesday morning I took the 1998 911 in for inspection and oil change. The dealership that I use is in Sewickley, down the Ohio River from town, and I think it is a good sign when the guy who did all the work on the car comes out and tells you how much he enjoys working on the car and how much he likes the car. It is a really nice car.

On the recent trip to France I was struck by how many new Mustangs I saw, probably about 8, down around St. Tropez. Also, on the drive back to Germany there was a car transporter carrying about six/seven vintage Mustangs. That was heading south, towards the Med, as we were driving away from the sea.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 3:18 PM, Mach 1 said:

Username doesn't check out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/13/2023 at 5:00 PM, AUinHsv said:

Went to Memphis for the MGA National Convention. Lots of MGA's - they made over 100,000 so a lot still run. However this event has some higher end ones.

Lines of cars3.thumb.jpg.57855bc6fe328aa68e55f07faa00695d.jpg

Some came in trailers and some had trailers

1.jpg

ec416d73-d55e-42e4-bef7-a025693335f9_tex

• Like 1

I have hemisfair plates on mine. Standard registration. Only real hurdle is that you have to have dps run the plate to make sure that the numbers aren’t currently in use. You can call them and they can do they over the phone before you register them. 

Dallas County tax office was pretty adamant it could only be Classic or Antique. Since Antique seemed the most restrictive, I went with Classic. Either way, I have my yom plates duly registered now.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 6/13/2023 at 5:16 PM, AUinHsv said:

Trying again because edit timed out

7a.thumb.jpg.741326305ab29e85044989c5a4a8c863.jpg

6a.jpg

Mine looked just like this one….

527A50C5-BD6D-494D-99EE-F2767235ED6C.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Dallas County tax office was pretty adamant it could only be Classic or Antique. Since Antique seemed the most restrictive, I went with Classic. Either way, I have my yom plates duly registered now.

There might have been a change around 2011 or so.  My YOM plates are now covered in surface rust and will need to be replaced eventually.  I have 3 or 4 more 1969 sets (nos with consecutive numbers).

2 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

There might have been a change around 2011 or so.  My YOM plates are now covered in surface rust and will need to be replaced eventually.  I have 3 or 4 more 1969 sets (nos with consecutive numbers).

Very cool.  I was just thinking I may need to stockpile some just in case.  

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

can I buy a set?

Come to think of it, I think I bought an extra set when I bought the ones I have on my car.  Now if I can just find them...

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

My truck stays outside and these plates do not weather well.  I think they were originally designed to be used for one year.  After posting, I contacted my plate guy about a couple more sets.

My car is living in a garage forevah.  But duly noted on taking care of the plates.