Far flung and/or remote globe trotters

Patricio Swayze

I am not one of them. Well, more so than some, definitely less so than others (and probably many in this site).

Growing up here in Texas I would visit my grandparent’s vacation home in Fulton a couple of times a year up until my grandmother passed in the late 90s and it was sold. One of my favorite things about visiting was my deceased grandfather’s collection of National Geographic magazines dating back to the early 60s. I loved seeing the photography of far away places, different people and culture. Then and now I still dream of visiting these kinds of places. The farthest I have been from Texas have been Geneva, Switzerland and Florianópolis, Brazil. Neither is remote or terribly exotic (I suppose Brazil is to a lot of folks).

One place I would love to see and photograph that I doubt will ever happen is the island of Socotra. Since it’s part of Yemen it is really discouraged as an American.

I was hoping to hear about the crazy, out there places some of y’all have been. Would love to hear stories, see photos, learn about the food and cultures you may have experienced. Or maybe this thread will sink like a stone…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I have a very limited comfort zone when it comes to travel out of the U.S.  Like only Europe.  I have no desire to go to Asia, South America, Africa, or the Middle East.  I'm sure I'm missing out on great experiences. 

That said, I love Parts Unknown, and I used to be a big fan of The Amazing Race.  I guess I like watching shows of people going to places to which I would never travel.

A good buddy just got back from a two-month trip.  He did the southern tip of Argentina, Southern Georgia/Southern Sandwich Islands, and Antarctica.  I suppose if he was the type of guy to post here he wouldn't be the type of guy to go there.  Maybe not.  

46 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Unfortunately I have a very limited comfort zone when it comes to travel out of the U.S.  Like only Europe.  I have no desire to go to Asia, South America, Africa, or the Middle East.  I'm sure I'm missing out on great experiences. 

That said, I love Parts Unknown, and I used to be a big fan of The Amazing Race.  I guess I like watching shows of people going to places to which I would never travel.

I enjoyed South Africa.  10/10.  Would highly recommend. I will enjoy parts of South America at some point.  Most of Asia is not appealing to me outside of Japan.  Middle East does nothing for me.  The big trip pecking order for me is Italy, Peru/Argentina/Chile, Japan.

• Like 1

Can you elaborate? Are you scared something will happen to you? Or maybe it’s different foods? Not trying to insult, it’s just this kind of thought process perplexes me. I honestly can’t think of a place I wouldn’t go with a couple of qualifiers:

If it’s an extremely dangerous place, I would want a handler/fixer. Like if someone who had been to Socotra several times and spoke Arabic and would help me on the trip, I am totally down.

Granted, I am a touch more risk averse since I have kids now, but still.

In the last 5 years actually more like 8 years now that I think about it.
Colombia, Costa Rica (3), Belize (6), Panama, Scotland, England (2), Belgium, Holland, Hungary, Austria, Czech, Vietnam (2), Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Japan.  And planning Chile/Argentina now and Pakistan is also on my short list.
At least 75% of those are solo. The thing I hear most from people is that they just assume every place is dangerous.  Not once in any of those countries did I feel in danger in any way what so ever. I also don't do stupid shit.
I've never met so many amazingly nice people traveling.  It's seldom I met any locals that are unkind or rude and in most cases they are 10x nice than your neighbor.  I also don't act like a jackass Cancun/Vegas traveler.   IMO it's good to get out of your comfort zone. 
How do you know a certain place isn't appealing if you've never been there and all you know about that place is what the media tells you?   No doubt there are place that I loved and places that I was "meh".   I have a friend that absolutely HATES Costa Rica which is beyond comprehension for me but each to their own.
Personally I get ill at the idea of going to a mega-resort in Mexico and hanging out with a bunch of other fat obnoxious Americans and eating at a buffet.

I assume you are single and/or don’t have kids. Fucking live it up man.

I totally agree with you about the resorts. Sounds like we have similar ideas about how to travel. When I travel with my family, I have to consider their comfort and what they also want to do. And of course I love that because they are happy, but damn I love traveling alone. Even if it’s a day road trip. I get a dopamine shot when I hear the clack of the gas pump when the tank is full and I am about to hit the road.

In all seriousness, I've only traveled around North America.   Some things that stick out:

When we moved out of Alaska in 2007, a friend and I drove from Fairbanks to Seattle on the Alcan Highway.   We took our time and enjoyed the scenic drive.   It ws May so the road was clear of ice and snow.  We came down through Whistler in British Columbia and if we'd planned ahead we could have skiied there.  

In 2010, the Macanudo-ettes and I drove from Seattle to Indianapolis.  We stopped in Yellowstone for a few days and took in a lot of that aweseomness.    Then we hit up Mt. Rushmore and Badlands N.P.   Even stopped at Wall Drug for lunch.   If you have never been to Yellowstone, I highly recommend it.   We're going back this summer and I'm really looking forward to it.  

Going over Independence Pass in Colorado near Aspen.    It's a white knuckle drive if you're heading to Aspen because you're on the outside lane of a narrow two lane road.   But the view is amazing.

The same can be said for driving and hiking in Mt. Rainier N.P and North Cascades N.P. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I assume you are single and/or don’t have kids. Fucking live it up man.

I am divorced with a 16 and 13 year old so I've been doing international travel for most of their lives.   I have a very healthy co-parenting situation.   She likes to travel too so we both switch up calendars so we can do what we need/want.

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Was not much of a traveler most of my life -- family just didn't have the means.  Of course, I learned young that our regular trips to see family in Asscrack, Mexico, were pretty exotic to my classmates, who maybe went to Colorado if they were big-time.

Then my folks moved to Buenos Aires when I was 25, and we went to visit them down there several times.  Hit patagonia, and also hit Uruguay, Paraguay, and Brazil.  South America is an overlooked, easy-to-reach destination.  Highly recommend, esp. Argentina - BA is a world city, and patagonia is one of the most beautiful places on earth (with fly fishing that will make your jaw drop).

Later, we made regular family trips to Socal, and we'd do side trips after: drive up the state, we hit Montana, Washington, and BC.

Then, not quite a decade ago, my folks decided to treat the whole family (them, our family of four) to a trip to the UK.  Just Edinburgh and London, with a few excursions out into Scotland, but it was clearly a formative experience for both of my kids.  They realized at a young age that they can go anywhere and do ok (the boy figured out the tube in a day and a half, when he was 11, and realized "hell, I can get around London just fine on my own" -- that was a big revelation).  Since then, they started studying abroad, and we visited them, and visited some friends in places that were never on our list.  Sure, the UK, France, and Germany are pretty standard (although Germany wasn't really on our list, and now Berlin is one of our favorite cities in the world).  But we also loved trips to Norway and Denmark, and we made it all the way over to Armenia to visit friends who are diplomats -- we were definitely a unique sight there.  And we're about to make a trip to Sweden (to see our daughter) and then Finland and Estonia.  In Estonia, we're visiting a national park that's around 90 miles from the border with the Leningrad Oblast.  I told my wife that if she hears tanks, tell me, and we'll find out how fast our rental car can drive west (her answer was "what tanks?  Aren't the ones they have left all busy down in Ukraine?")

Both kids have traveled solo to some odd places: Iceland, Swedish lapland.  They've learned how to travel, and go with the flow, knowing that shit sometimes happens, and as long as you have a passport and a credit card, you can usually solve it, or at least make do (even though they travel on their own nickel, so they travel cheap...we did give each of them a "can bail your ass out and buy a pricey plane ticket if you need to evacuate in a hurry" credit card for emergencies).

Is there someplace in the world that interests you?  Then odds are that you should go.  There's a handful of no-go places (e.g., current Russia, places on literal banned travel lists like Iran and N. Korea, and plenty of areas on other countries; read the State Dep't warnings and figure out what they are about), but by and large, you can travel safely to probably 90%+ of the countries on the planet.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Can you elaborate? Are you scared something will happen to you? Or maybe it’s different foods? Not trying to insult, it’s just this kind of thought process perplexes me. I honestly can’t think of a place I wouldn’t go with a couple of qualifiers:

No insult taken at all, and fair questions.  Some thoughts:

For places like Africa and the Middle East, there is a danger factor.  Not so much others.  And referencing again Parts Unknown, I think Anthony Bourdain showed me and other viewers that most of those places are relatively safe.  But he had a film crew and probably some extra protections. 

In general, it's not the foods.  My palate has gotten more adventurous the older I've grown.

If I'm going to be honest with myself, part of my comfort with Europe probably comes from an Anglo bias.  Yeah, there can be diversity in places like the U.K., France, Germany, and Italy (I've been to all, multiple times).  But pretty much everyone over there is speaking English these days, and I don't feel as if I stick out like a sore thumb.

My one qualifier on Asia -- I think I'd want to visit Vietnam.  Bourdain (again) loved that country and I always thought his episodes there were fascinating.  But more so, my dad served in Vietnam, so there's a bit of a personal draw.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Oh, and Midtown, can you tell me/us about some of the best dishes you have had? And the worst?

Tough one.   Best dish was a bowl of 0.80 pho on a random sidewalk in Ha Noi for breakfast.  That or 14 course menu at Sra Bua in Bangkok in Oct 22.  Balut in Sai Gon was definitely interesting.  Fish tacos that I caught in Belize and took straight to the restaurant is always up there. I always try set up a food tour.  Bee larva in Cambodia in Oct was delicious.  I'm sure Ill think of others. 

I don't recall having anything really terrible.   I've definitely had some "meh" meals. 

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My one qualifier on Asia -- I think I'd want to visit Vietnam.  Bourdain (again) loved that country and I always thought his episodes there were fascinating.  But more so, my dad served in Vietnam, so there's a bit of a personal draw.

In all my travels with all the people I've met and even on this board.  When asked.  Almost every single person has said Viet Nam is their favorite country.  It is mine.  Cambodia is right up there as well so if you go I'd definitely look at shooting over to Siem Reap from Sai Gon.  Flights are super cheap.

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Was not much of a traveler most of my life -- family just didn't have the means. 

Same here.  My dad was a Marine, so (1) he was either deployed or just didn't have much time for vacations during my childhood, and (2) it's not the highest paying job, so we had limited means.  Our "vacations" consisted of day trips to D.C. or a family reunion in Oregon or Minnesota.  That may have shaped my attitudes about travel. 

I didn't leave the United States until I was 28, and that was a long weekend in London.  My ex wife certainly broadened my horizons on travel, but she mostly gravitated toward Europe, so I just followed her lead. 

I've certainly traveled in the U.S. a lot as an adult.  But I don't think any of my destinations are worthy of discussion on this kind of a thread.

Brisket…that is awesome. I hope my girls will be as well traveled and indecent as your kids. Well, they are under 10 and have been to Brazil a few times already.

Midtown, I hate you. Post some photos. I am hoping this thread takes all the bandwidth on this site. Places, people, food. Also to tie this into South Austin’s comments, have you found language to be a big issue? I haven’t really had any issues (France, Spain, Switzerland…I could even understand those fucks in England!). Brazil not an issue even as I start to forget words in Portuguese.

So South Austin it sounds like you are worried mostly about language barrier and then somewhat about safety. I think you should revise your thought process on this and feel like you would do just fine and LOVE Latin America.

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've certainly traveled in the U.S. a lot as an adult.  But I don't think any of my destinations are worthy of discussion on this kind of a thread.

Oh, I'm sure we'd like to hear all about your trips to Waco and such.

Seriously, expanding the scope is like going swimming - just jump on in, the water's fine.  It can be intimidating at first, but once you get out there, you realize that....it's just life, and folks are just folks.  And navigating your way through unfamiliar territory is often good for a chuckle.  You are 100% the type who could handle it easily, and would almost certainly get a kick out of the adventure.  Do it.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, midtown said:

In all my travels with all the people I've met and even on this board.  When asked.  Almost every single person has said Viet Nam is their favorite country.  It is mine.  Cambodia is right up there as well so if you go I'd definitely look at shooting over to Siem Reap from Sai Gon.  Flights are super cheap.

The one exception to this was a previous coworker, probably the best-traveled person I know in my personal life.  Irish, had been everywhere for either work or fun.  Sri Lanka was his pick, and I don't even know enough about it to know why.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So South Austin it sounds like you are worried mostly about language barrier and then somewhat about safety. I think you should revise your thought process on this and feel like you would do just fine and LOVE Latin America.

I had actually been talking with my ex wife before that marriage fell apart about going to Machu Picchu for my 50th birthday.  One of my law partners went there several years ago and said it was the most beautiful place on earth.  Lima also seems cool.  Not sure that's going to happen though, at least not for my 50th.  I have a wedding to pay for next Spring and my first goes off to college next Fall.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

And this.  You and your lady friend would LOVE Buenos Aires.  If you like Paris and London, you'll love BA.  And don't be afraid to hop a flight down to Bariloche and hang out in country that looks a lot like the alps.  Get a room in a small inn with a big window that looks out on lake Nahuel Huapi.  Hell, do it in the winter (our summer) if you want to tag skiing onto the trip.  Argentina is a fantastic trip.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I feel like there's so much to dig into just within the United States that it's hard for me to justify the time and expense to travel further, although I would find it absolutely fascinating.

The diversity in this country from a geographic standpoint, flora and fauna standpoint, and cultural standpoint is wild.  Maine and Arizona feel like completely different worlds.

• Hook 'Em 1

I feel like there's so much to dig into just within the United States that it's hard for me to justify the time and expense to travel further, although I would find it absolutely fascinating.
The diversity in this country from a geographic standpoint, flora and fauna standpoint, and cultural standpoint is wild.  Maine and Arizona feel like completely different worlds.

¿Por que no ambos?

I agree with you, but hopefully your life is long and healthy. No reason to not do both (finances permitting).
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My take is that I am saving this for when long haul travel becomes less appealing most from physical limitations and I'm getting there.  My back and knee are getting closer to where a 12 hour flight will be less and less desirable.   Although I have seen a decent amount of the US.  The parks and big sky areas I have not.

Midtown, I hate you. Post some photos. I am hoping this thread takes all the bandwidth on this site. Places, people, food. 

There are country specific threads and I have posted lots of pictures etc there.   But I can throw a few more out.

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

Also, as a kid, I would look at the travel ads in the back of the Houston Chronicle classifieds and would see these river/fishing trips up the Amazon. That one I will definitely scratch off my list in the not distant future. Even if that means one trip to Brazil I leave the fam in São Paulo with family and I go off by myself.

Something goofy I do since the development of google maps is I will day dream. A lot. I will look at random places, big cities, small villages. If street view is available, I’ll cruise around the city imaging what those people are doing right now. What they are eating.

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

Also, as a kid, I would look at the travel ads in the back of the Houston Chronicle classifieds and would see these river/fishing trips up the Amazon. That one I will definitely scratch off my list in the not distant future. Even if that means one trip to Brazil I leave the fam in São Paulo with family and I go off by myself.

Something goofy I do since the development of google maps is I will day dream. A lot. I will look at random places, big cities, small villages. If street view is available, I’ll cruise around the city imaging what those people are doing right now. What they are eating.

GeoGuessr is a fun game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

My take is that I am saving this for when long haul travel becomes less appealing most from physical limitations and I'm getting there.  My back and knee are getting closer to where a 12 hour flight will be less and less desirable.   Although I have seen a decent amount of the US.  The parks and big sky areas I have not.

The wife and I have talked this way as well.  We've got the wild-card of "lord knows where our kids will settle," so there's that.  There's a pretty solid chance that at least one, maybe both, will settle and work overseas (likely Europe).  If that's the case.....then we may end up trying to find a way to end up nearby ourselves (immigration/visa issues permitting). 

But presuming that we keep the US as our country of residence, we have done the same calculus you have.  Maybe a trip overseas once a year or so, to stay over there for a while (visit the kids, tool around and do low-key stuff, etc. - we don't have to be hitting "sights," we're just as happy to stay in a cozy place, build a relationship with the staff at a nearby cafe for morning coffee and social time, hit the daily market for dinner fixings, walk around town, and just "be.")  But otherwise, road trips in the US.  We don't need to put in 10 hour driving days.  5-7 hours for the big drives.  2-3 for shorter ones.  Stay in simple, cheap places.  Walk.  Be outside.  Breathe in the air.  Fish.  Eat a lunch of hummus and fruit on a picnic table in a park.  Visit friends.  Make new ones.

I can address the language barrier.   Of all those countries I mentioned only in 3-4 did I find language to be an issue.  And I speak a little bit of Spanish

Colombia sans Cartagena.  Not even the hotel staff at our hotel in Bogota spoke English

Panama was 50/50

Tokyo. Very little English at all

Laos.  Hit or miss

• Like 1

Oh yeah, if it wasn’t obvious, I’d love to hear what’s on folks short list and dream list and why.

We are going to Italy in June and I am stoked about that (my wife is much more invested in it as her family immigrated to Brazil from Italy). My short list, what I consider doable in the next 5-10 years would be:

Vietnam

Amazon river

Costa Rica (my father was born there). My younger brother and his family went with my parents last Christmas. Our Italy trip took priority.

Cuba

Edit: forgot Morocco

Other than all over Europe, the furthest we've been has been Toyko and Taipei, Australia and down in Argentina/Chile.  Usually things go well... other than a long story involving guns, zip ties and police rescue in Buenos Aires.  For real though, go travel... especially given the types of pictures you like to take.  Easy and amazing start... Mexico City.  Go there.  

Agree with Tokyo... little English, totally safe, people/food are amazing, Google Maps is your friend.  

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We are going to Italy in June and I am stoked about that (my wife is much more invested in it as her family immigrated to Brazil from Italy).

I've been there twice for long trips (was married in a small town on the Amalfi Coast) and covered some decent ground.  I love that country -- the terrain, the food, the history, the people. 

• Like 1

Other than all over Europe, the furthest we've been has been Toyko and Taipei, Australia and down in Argentina/Chile.  Usually things go well... other than a long story involving guns, zip ties and police rescue in Buenos Aires.  For real though, go travel... especially given the types of pictures you like to take.  Easy and amazing start... Mexico City.  Go there.  
Agree with Tokyo... little English, totally safe, people/food are amazing, Google Maps is your friend.  

Good call on the DF being nearby and easy. I should get a hall pass from my wife and fly down with my Pops (he is into photography as well).

I've been there twice for long trips (was married in a small town on the Amalfi Coast) and covered some decent ground.  I love that country -- the terrain, the food, the history, the people. 

I would love to see that part of Italy. However, this time will be much of Northern Italy and we will still miss a ton. Like I was saying, this is my wife’s trip (it was supposed to be for our 10 year, but that didn’t happen). So I am letting her do the planning.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

...and I'm more than happy to answer questions about Italy as best as I can.  I have a defined opinion on how to travel in Italy but that doesn't always jibe with what many want to do, particularly first-timers.  

I will add this story.  On my first trip to Viet Nam I was on the top deck of a boat in Ha Long Bay and it was just me and this Long Beach cop.  We were just sitting there in awe of the scenery.  He says to me "do you know why we are on this boat right now looking at this?"  I thought he was going to say something like really philosophical but he just said.  "We pressed enter"

That has stayed with me.  So many people dream up a trip and then get to the point of actually committing and bail and exit out of the flights etc.

Edited by midtown
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Good call on the DF being nearby and easy. I should get a hall pass from my wife and fly down with my Pops (he is into photography as well).

Just staying in "safer" areas like Condesa and Roma you'll be exposed to amazing architecture and streetscapes... great people watching.  In Coyoacan and San Angel there's gobs to see and take in.  You can also take a driver to places like Tepotzlan or other small pueblos magicos.  I can recommend a great hotel in the heart of the hipodromo in Condesa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I would love to see that part of Italy. However, this time will be much of Northern Italy and we will still miss a ton. Like I was saying, this is my wife’s trip (it was supposed to be for our 10 year, but that didn’t happen). So I am letting her do the planning.

Our second trip was mostly Northern.  Milan, Barolo, Cinque Terra, Verona, and Venice.  The wine country in the Piedmont is beautiful.  Amalfi is wonderful, but that was back in 2004, and I bet it's grown like Cinque Terra and can get more crowded than you would like.

2 minutes ago, texasdago said:

...and I'm more than happy to answer questions about Italy as best as I can.  I have a defined opinion on how to travel in Italy but that doesn't always jibe with what many want to do, particularly first-timers.  

And listen to whatever this man says.

I’m eating some leftover pizza from my kid’s birthday party at Urban Air…I’m basically an expert now. But thanks.

Hahaha, yeah, I went through some of the Italy thread already and also thought about hitting you up. She has been talking to Brazilian friends that have been or watching Brazilians traveling there. She has already booked most of it. But if I have doubts, I’ll hit you up.

Well, I do have one question you might know something about. Are the catacombs in Rome worth it? They aren’t as famous as the Parisian ones, but it is something I would like to photograph.

I’m eating some leftover pizza from my kid’s birthday party at Urban Air…I’m basically an expert now. But thanks.

Hahaha, yeah, I went through some of the Italy thread already and also thought about hitting you up. She has been talking to Brazilian friends that have been or watching Brazilians traveling there. She has already booked most of it. But if I have doubts, I’ll hit you up.

Well, I do have one question you might know something about. Are the catacombs in Rome worth it? They aren’t as famous as the Parisian ones, but it is something I would like to photograph.

The catacombs in Rome most likely laugh at the Catacombs in Paris since they were there over 1500 years before... that said, the creep factor in Paris looks like its on another level.

Are they worth it?  I mean, I think they're very cool... I'm not sure how well they photograph but there are three sets of catacombs by the Appia Antica and I love the Appia Antica.  I visited these many years ago - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_San_Sebastiano - and the whole area is great because it is generally quieter than being in Rome, especially during the week.  Haven't been in a few years, though.  Also a big fan of Ostia Antica as it is also drastically quieter than Rome.  This is a good site to 1) see more about Ostia (https://www.ostia-antica.org/intro.htm) and 2) take a step back into time as the Italian Internet experience can often feel like 1997

• Like 1

The catacombs in Rome most likely laugh at the Catacombs in Paris since they were there over 1500 years before... that said, the creep factor in Paris looks like its on another level.
Are they worth it?  I mean, I think they're very cool... I'm not sure how well they photograph but there are three sets of catacombs by the Appia Antica and I love the Appia Antica.  I visited these many years ago - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_San_Sebastiano - and the whole area is great because it is generally quieter than being in Rome, especially during the week.  Haven't been in a few years, though.  Also a big fan of Ostia Antica as it is also drastically quieter than Rome.  This is a good site to 1) see more about Ostia (https://www.ostia-antica.org/intro.htm) and 2) take a step back into time as the Italian Internet experience can often feel like 1997

Awesome, I’ll check them out. And yeah, I should have been more specific that I am interested in the crypts and bone chapel type places.

Through work, I have spent a week in Bolivia and 2 weeks in India.

Bolivia...Spent a couple of days in San Jose and then on to Cochabamba.  If you are a meat eater, you will be fine there.  Great people, laid back feel even in the city.  Cochabamba has a Christ Redeemer statue of its own.  So, it is very catholic oriented.  It is also at altitude.  Best coffee and soda water too.  Just stay away from anything that could touch water.   Brought back some nice leather purses and silver jewelry for my girls.  I would recommend it, at least a trip to Cochabamba.  It's been a bit since I've been down there though.   The hotel we stayed at in San Jose was cool but the city is the place for a lot of protests.  There was one when we were there.

India, was a pain to get to and to get home from.  It was a great experience but would not care to go back.  Only way I would go back if it would be to go visit the northern Part.  Stayed in Bangalore which is down south.  Abject poverty.  Congested.  Cows walking down the streets.  Rode in an auto (green and yellow open air vehicle) at lunch one day.  I think I ended up with a bit of carbon monoxide poisoning.   Good look just trying to walk across even the most simple side street.

Stayed in a hotel that catered to Western Tastes.  Had a few different restaurants.  Steak was on the menu at one spot, but they were always 'out'.  Seafood, lamb, and chicken were main sources of protein if you are meat eater.  Outstanding breakfast buffet though.  Attendants would make one-offs for you upon request, mostly eggs and omelets.  During the day, I ate at the cafeteria on the job site and I managed okay.  The food on the airlines was way worse on me.  

Didn't really see much and didn't get out of town much even on the one free weekend we had.  Watched a lot of IPL Cricket on tv though.

Best way to sum it up is from a line Jon Hamm had in Million Dollar Arm, when asked about his trip to India, he replies...

You walk down the street and you smell the most amazing things and then about a block later, you smell the worst of things.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

¿Por que no ambos?

I agree with you, but hopefully your life is long and healthy. No reason to not do both (finances permitting).

I'd like to both eventually, and I'm on pace to have the time and finances to do so.  I'm also pretty tight, and given the nature of my work I don't have real long windows of time to take off and give international travel the attention it needs.

• Like 1

Have been and I'm pretty sure you can't take pictures but... https://www.italyrometour.com/the-church-of-the-bones/

I suspected that photography might be prohibited. I still would like to visit it. I am curious if there is a way to get permission though (press pass or something). Regardless, I’d still love to see it even if I can’t document it.

Through work, I have spent a week in Bolivia and 2 weeks in India.
Bolivia...Spent a couple of days in San Jose and then on to Cochabamba.  If you are a meat eater, you will be fine there.  Great people, laid back feel even in the city.  Cochabamba has a Christ Redeemer statue of its own.  So, it is very catholic oriented.  It is also at altitude.  Best coffee and soda water too.  Just stay away from anything that could touch water.   Brought back some nice leather purses and silver jewelry for my girls.  I would recommend it, at least a trip to Cochabamba.  It's been a bit since I've been down there though.   The hotel we stayed at in San Jose was cool but the city is the place for a lot of protests.  There was one when we were there.
India, was a pain to get to and to get home from.  It was a great experience but would not care to go back.  Only way I would go back if it would be to go visit the northern Part.  Stayed in Bangalore which is down south.  Abject poverty.  Congested.  Cows walking down the streets.  Rode in an auto (green and yellow open air vehicle) at lunch one day.  I think I ended up with a bit of carbon monoxide poisoning.   Good look just trying to walk across even the most simple side street.
Stayed in a hotel that catered to Western Tastes.  Had a few different restaurants.  Steak was on the menu at one spot, but they were always 'out'.  Seafood, lamb, and chicken were main sources of protein if you are meat eater.  Outstanding breakfast buffet though.  Attendants would make one-offs for you upon request, mostly eggs and omelets.  During the day, I ate at the cafeteria on the job site and I managed okay.  The food on the airlines was way worse on me.  
Didn't really see much and didn't get out of town much even on the one free weekend we had.  Watched a lot of IPL Cricket on tv though.
Best way to sum it up is from a line Jon Hamm had in Million Dollar Arm, when asked about his trip to India, he replies...
You walk down the street and you smell the most amazing things and then about a block later, you smell the worst of things.

I would bet that you are happy that you went and got to experience parts of India, even if you wouldn’t go back. At least you have that first hand experience.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I would bet that you are happy that you went and got to experience parts of India, even if you wouldn’t go back. At least you have that first hand experience.

Absolutely, it was an amazing eye-opener of an experience.  Honestly, if the trip could have been broken up to where I could have gotten a night in London to and from it would have been a bit better.  As it were though, there was about an hour or two lay over on the way and basically no lay over on the way back.  So,  back to back 9 to 10 hour flights.   

• Like 1

Anyone ever been to Mongolia?  That place fascinates the hell out of me.

That would be awesome. I think.

Some of the far flung places I would like to check out are:

Tristan da Cunha. It’s so fucking remote and tiny, would love to see it. I’m not much of a drinker but would be cool to have a beer or two in the one pub they have there.

Skeleton coast in Namibia should be on my short list.

There are a few posters on this site I would like to send as a scouting party to the NorthSentinel Island.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My favorite adventuring was in Central Asia.  Uzbekistan and surrounding areas are definitely graduate-level travel, but rewarding for the intrepid. I attended the coolest sporting event of my life, which was a game of kopkara dead goat polo (Afghans call it Buz Kashi), there were riders from all over former Soviet Central Asia. I was offered to ride a bit but believe me- it’s fucking terrifying.  None of you would do it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.fbff177667d0cf13b5dbc6e3cdc3592c.jpegAnother great experience was traveling first to the Afghanistan border, then to the Tajik/Turkmen border. I rode a donkey through a national park, along the way our park service guide killed a cobra.  The designator was a remote small cliff cave that had Neolithic painting in it, we clambered up to see them. On the way back I bargained with one of the park rangers to ride his horse back to the village so as to not crush my nuts on the burro.  It was magical and wild and an experience I’ll take with me to my grave. 

I also did some travel outside of Karachi and around interior Sindh. Do not recommend except if you’re really itching to have some one-up travel stories. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

India is one that I'm fine missing.

One pseudo regret is that I didn't get to more weird places before having a kid. I'm hoping to get some work travel in that takes me to China (and maybe Japan? Japan is definitely bucket list) at some point, and I may get to BFE Brazil at some point this year.

I've been to Europe a few times, the most out of the way I've gotten is Moscow. Or I guess probably the airport in Chisinau, Moldova. We were flying through KIV from Rome which (without looking at a map) I had assumed was Kiev. I did not even know what a Moldova was. I don't think that Moscow is really that weird or out of the way, but I'm glad I went and especially now given the likelihood that... I'm unlikely to go back for a while. Some of the cold war stuff aside, Moscow really had some of the prettiest stuff I'd seen - reminds you that these may be the red army soviet potato eaters but also all of the ballet, music, art.

image.thumb.png.623d5a0d53dddcdb79ee48aa771551fd.png

image.thumb.png.a22f65214c78a67db5c3724528f6883a.png

image.thumb.png.426362f94427896ef7d6a861c5073606.png

• Like 2