Mediterranean diet

Mo Horn

Been doing it since the first of the year. Went and had a heart scan done and had some calcium build-up in 1 of 4 arteries... of course it's the one that causes the widow maker, so decided to switch from keto as well as be more faithful to cardio. In 3 months have lost a little more than 10 pounds, and have about 12 more to hit my goal.  Slow and steady. I've been loving it and really enjoying a different palate than I've had in the last few years. I love humus, and have a great recipe. Also doing a lot of whole gains and fish 3 out 4 nights a week. Anyone have any good recipes to try? Anyone else follow this diet that have experiences to share?

• Hook 'Em 2

how old are you?

Guys should probably have a scan at 40 if there’s a history of heart attacks/disease in their family.

I had 90% blockage on the widow maker and the circa-something at 42. My cousin had the same at 36. Our grandfather died of a heart attack and his dad probably did (he died in his sleep). However, none of my granddad’s 5 kids have had any heart issues at all.
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is a little more Middle Eastern than Mediterranean, but Chicken Shawarma is adherent to the diet so long as you put it on/in something more suitable than a white pita. I often just make a hummus bowl with it.

It's a New York Times recipe but that has a paywall, so:

https://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/oven-roasted-chicken-shawarma-nytimes-25412

Let's see that hummus recipe.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Guys should probably have a scan at 40 if there’s a history of heart attacks/disease in their family.

I had 90% blockage on the widow maker and the circa-something at 42. My cousin had the same at 36. Our grandfather died of a heart attack and his dad probably did (he died in his sleep). However, none of my granddad’s 5 kids have had any heart issues at all.

Yup. I should have, but waited longer. I'm older than my grandfather, who died before I was born of a heart attack, and older than my dad when he had his first one, so my genetics suck. For the most part I've always tried to do whatever I can to avoid the same fate. Sometimes I'm really good, and sometimes not so much. I'm 2 1/2 years from retirement, and I'd like to enjoy that, so right now I'm being really disciplined.

21 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

This is a little more Middle Eastern than Mediterranean, but Chicken Shawarma is adherent to the diet so long as you put it on/in something more suitable than a white pita. I often just make a hummus bowl with it.

Definitely doing middle eastern and this looks great

2 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

My only contribution to this is I once made hummus from scratch for a dinner party using Alon Shaya's recipe and EVERY single guest complained the next day of extreme flatulence. 

If you'd to repeat the experiment you can find his recipe here.

3 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

2 garlic cloves 

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

One 15 1/2 can of chickpeas

1 cup tahini 

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

3 tbl olive oil

Slowly simmer chickpeas in their liquid for 15 minutes

Put garlic S&P in food processor and spin 

Add chickpeas and liquid and process 

Add tahini and lemon juice and process

Add olive oil and process

If it's too thick add a small bit of water or olive oil at a time to get it to the consistency you like. 

You can add more olive oil, lemon juice or garlic, depending on your preference.

I’ve been eating a Mediterranean type diet for a couple of years now. I love it and have no desire to go back to my old way of eating. 

I came up with the sandwich recipe below, although it’s all approximations. Modify to your taste. 

About 1/2 cup flakey smoked salmon. Costco and HEB sell one that is honey smoked or something. There are also trendy canned brands. Don’t use lox - it’s too slimy. You want the kind that flakes with a fork. 

6-8 raw walnut halves, coarsely hand-crushed. I’ve also used marcona almonds in a pinch. 

Diced onion and bell pepper (red or orange work best). 

Toss it all in a bowl and squirt a shitload of coarse ground mustard in it.

Mix it all up with a fork. Slather it on whole grain bread (I like Dave’s brand). Add thin slices of a tart apple or a thin slice of provolone (optional), and spring mix or arugula. 

That makes a filling, very healthy sandwich. Which is one of the great things about this diet - you get full and feel great. 

• Hook 'Em 2