2023 Baltimore Orioles Season Thread

VirginiaLonghorn

RIP Brooks Robinson :(  The Orioles were my 2nd favorite team in the MLB next to the Rangers. They had the best infield ever in the League back then. Brooks Robinson was one of my favorite players of all time and the greatest 3B to ever play. Condolences to the Orioles fans at this time of grief from a longtime Rangers fan.

when I was a kid, I would watch Brooks play on Saturday afternoon baseball, then go out and play baseball afterwards.   If I happened to make a good fielding play I thought I was "Brooks Robinson".  😂😂😂😂😂😂

RIP BROOKS 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Congrats O's. Great seeing a organization build thier team to win for the long haul.

Paraphrasing Mike Elias last nigh ... the O's are going to be a force for the next decade in the best division in baseball.

He noted ownership's agreement with the state of Maryland for the new OPACY lease extension, the total support investing in the minor league system, and establishment of a robust foreign scouting capability which was virtually non-existent before Elias.

IMO, the O's are going to take AL Executive of the Year, Manager of the Year, and Rookie of the Year awards.  Who else?

... and their AAA Norfolk Tides beat Durham to win the International League Championship and will face the Pacific Coast League champion OKC Dodgers in the Triple-A National Championship game tomorrow night in Las Vegas.

House money ...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Great hire in Elias. Hopefully ownership doesn't meddle with a great total baseball organization yall have developed.

The problem for the Orioles is that asshole owner isn’t going to spend. Not on top notch free agents or competitive extensions for its young talent.  Remember these recent quotes from him. 

"The hardest thing to do in sports is be a small-market team in baseball and be competitive, because everything is stacked against you -- everything." 

"We're going to have to raise prices here -- dramatically." By way of reminder, ideal prices, economically, are set by demand. Saying something like we need more money, so let's raise prices is a misunderstanding of Economics 101. Fortunately, Angelos elaborated, so he could educate us on how hard it'll be to own a good baseball team with good players in Baltimore. 

"Let's say we sat down and showed you the financials for the Orioles. You will quickly see that when people talk about giving this player $200 million, that player $150 million, we would be so financially underwater that you'd have to raise the prices massively. Now, are people going to come and pay that? I don't know if we're at the limit, to your point. I don't know if we're in equilibrium elasticity, supply and demand. Maybe we are. But really that's just one team. What I'm really trying to think about is macro." Can we start at the beginning there? Please show us the financials. Please!One of the biggest issues when it comes to discussing economics in baseball is that no ownership groups will open their books and show us the math. It's an educated guessing game, but they want us to take their word for it and it simply isn't believable that so many teams are losing money at the rate they claim to be. Otherwise they'd put their teams up for sale. The rest of that quote is just him throwing around terms to try and act smart. He fails, since he essentially admits he doesn't know if they are charging the correct prices while also saying they'd have to raise them to pay for good players.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Bartles said:

John Ourand wouldn't be wrong about something this big. Congrats again to O's fans. Private equity generally sucks but has to be better than whatever the Angelos family would have done

They are not being bought by two private equity firms but by 2 individuals who made their money in the investment world. Big difference. 

Edited by TonyTexas