2023 Baltimore Orioles Season Thread

VirginiaLonghorn

My godson (for lack of a better word) is in a youth program the Mariners run.  The Mariners had them involved at the ASG, carrying around big baseball cards to identify the players at the red carpet show.  He got to meet Mookie, Castellanos, Hays, and one other guy I can't remember, but he said Hays was by far the nicest guy.  Hays took an interest in him because he's named Clemente and told him to come down to the field and talk when the Orioles are back in town.  Anyways, just saying that I have a new favorite Oriole.

image000000(1).png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Maybe I am just beaten down from the 2010s but I always worry about the pitching whenever the Os become playoff contenders. Ownership loves to burn down the team to rebuild a contender on the cheap but never interested in getting the last few pieces needed to really make a run.

This doesn't make me feel any better. Well hopefully he is only out a month or something.

Edited by Valmy77

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Maybe I am just beaten down from the 2010s but I always worry about the pitching whenever the Os become playoff contenders. Ownership loves to burn down the team to rebuild a contender on the cheap but never interested in getting the last few pieces needed to really make a run.

This doesn't make me feel any better. Well hopefully he is only out a month or something.

He’s a big loss .. but, there are a number of BIG arms who will fill the gap.  I don’t think this injury will be a showstopper.

2 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

He’s a big loss .. but, there are a number of BIG arms who will fill the gap.  I don’t think this injury will be a showstopper.

As I said, I am just a little beaten down by the past. Maybe it works out this time. The ride is just starting.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

As I said, I am just a little beaten down by the past. Maybe it works out this time. The ride is just starting.

Best season of MLB baseball for me in YEARS.  The O’s are dripping with young talent and have a half dozen highly rated prospects coming up.  This could be the beginning … Go O’s

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

O’s trailed 3-1 going to bottom of 8.  Scored one run in each 8, 9, 10, and 11 to walkoff TB 5-4 .. and maintain 2 game lead.  

… and clinched playoff spot.

That was a gritty win. O’s were down to their final strike 3 or 4 times against a nasty bullpen. Crowd finally got into it in the 8th. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

That was a gritty win. O’s were down to their final strike 3 or 4 times against a nasty bullpen. Crowd finally got into it in the 8th. 

Agree with everything, but your crowd observation.  O's fans are anything but passive.  I think they were involved all weekend ... biggest series in years.  Crowd noise on MASN is misleading since they turned down the stadium mics after the dipshit owner fucked over PBP guy, Kevin Brown, for a truthful observation that wasn't even negative towards the O's.

Also, the team and its payroll mirror blue collar Baltimore.  While several playoff pretenders have mid-$200M payrolls, the O's come in #30 of 30 at less than $60M.  Beautiful ... just beautiful ... playing with house money.

Footnote:  Brown congratulated Mike Elias in the locker room, to which Elias patted Brown on the chest and said, "congratulations to you, too, Kevin."  Maybe a subtle verbal wink that confirmed only one guy in the front office was part of that distraction.

Lulz

On 10/2/2022 at 5:59 PM, Helobious said:

Lol. You’ll be lucky to finish in 3rd place next year. 

This is exactly like when everyone thought the Marlins “turned the corner” in 2020. Promising young stars and loaded farm system. Look how great that turned out. The O’s are pretty inept and vastly overperformed this year (winning record with negative run differential). You’ll regress next year and stay in the cellar where you belong.

• Like 2

Wow. Qualified for a playoff spot in an expanded field. Hang the banner. 

And major lol at the “crowd noise” or whatever someone said. That stadium hasn’t had a sellout in years and any game is 40-60% visiting fans. Especially if it’s Yankees or Sox. @Fudge Nuggets is right, crowd was fucking dead as ever. I’ll laugh when they get bounced in the wild card round.

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Wow. Qualified for a playoff spot in an expanded field. Hang the banner. 

And major lol at the “crowd noise” or whatever someone said. That stadium hasn’t had a sellout in years and any game is 40-60% visiting fans. Especially if it’s Yankees or Sox. @Fudge Nuggets is right, crowd was fucking dead as ever. I’ll laugh when they get bounced in the wild card round.

You keep basing your argument on crowds (and noise which specialize in).  Meanwhile, the rest of baseball will enjoy the Yankees spending 4x the salary of the O’s and still being home for the playoffs.

Like I’ve said before, the O’s are at least a year ahead of schedule with a bunch of kids and young vets … while their minor league system is still top ranked by talent evaluators.

Think Houston about 10 years ago …

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

You keep basing your argument on crowds (and noise which specialize in).  Meanwhile, the rest of baseball will enjoy the Yankees spending 4x the salary of the O’s and still being home for the playoffs.

Like I’ve said before, the O’s are at least a year ahead of schedule with a bunch of kids and young vets … while their minor league system is still top ranked by talent evaluators.

Think Houston about 10 years ago …

Yeah I’m just saying we’ve seen this story a million times. Young core, loaded prospect system, bright future. It NEVER pans out. The Astros are the only ones that pulled it off and they had to cheat to do it. Member the Pirates circa mid 2010s? The Mets and their phenom young pitching staff and farm system at the same time? The Cubs and how 2016 was the start of a dynasty? The Padres 5 years ago? The Marlins in 2020? The Yankees in 2017? I’ll give you the Braves of late. 

Point is this is most likely a fluke and not the start of something special. I take it you haven’t been following baseball long so take it from someone who has. 

• Haha 1

The O’s bullpen is toast.  Any or all, a number of factors:

•Starters seldom make 7 innings.  5+ seems to be the norm.  Three or four relievers most every game.

•Middle relief has been in a revolving door with Norfolk.  Same gang around ‘n round with the same results.

•Felix Bautista’s UCL injury took away a dominant closer.  Eight inning games became nine or more.

•Yennier Cano made the A-S game on a great first half as the set up man.  He isn’t a closer.

•Trade deadline acquisitions, Jack Flaherty and Shintaro Fujinami, are disappointments.  The former was moved to the bullpen.  The later should be moved to Nagasaki.

•Jorge Lopez went from 2022 A-S closer with the O’s to downright combustible with the Twins, Marlins, and now back with the O’s.

•O’s fans wonder what Mike Elias could/should have done at the deadline with a loaded minor league system.  Instead, Baltimore took on a disinterested starter and two reclamation challenges.

Still, it’s been a great season which I am enjoying immensely.  Adley Rutschman, Gunnar Henderson, Kyle Bradish, and others shine bright.