Big 12 basketball 2023-2024 season - One Final Rodeo

Pancho

Looking at the Big 12 standings this morning.  Man, if we could have just beaten WV on the road and closed out Houston or Iowa State at home, we could have been in 1st place in this crazy conference.

The Massey game by game odds project the following wins at the end of the season:

• 13.3 - Houston
  • 11.7 - Iowa St
  • 10.9 - Kansas
  • 10.6 - Baylor
  • 10.2 - Tech
  •  9.4 - BYU
  •  9.4 - TCU
  •  8.9 - OU
  •  8.5 - Texas
  •  8.0 - K-State
  •  7.9 - Cincinnati
  •  7.0 - UCF
  •  5.5 - West Virginia
  •  4.7 - OSU

Houston looks to be separating themselves as the cream of the crop.  Our off week couldn't have come at a better time as we get ready to play them on the road.  Unfortunately they also have a week to prepare.

Darrion Williams 12/12 from the field and 4/4 from the stripe for 30.  What an effort!!!

Tech 79

Kansas 50

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Darrion Williams 12/12 from the field and 4/4 from the stripe for 30.  What an effort!!!

Tech 79

Kansas 50

30 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block

12-12 from the floor, 4-4 from 3, unreal

3 more years of eligibility

Edited by Brian Fantana

8 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Now we get to celebrate by getting shitblasted @ Hilton probably

The 11AM tip is definitely to your advantage.  The crowd won't be full throttle at tip off most likely.

We've got a motherfucker tonight @ Cincy.  I expect them to give us everything they have.  This is going to be an extraordinarily physical, ugly basketball game.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The 11AM tip is definitely to your advantage.  The crowd won't be full throttle at tip off most likely.

We've got a motherfucker tonight @ Cincy.  I expect them to give us everything they have.  This is going to be an extraordinarily physical, ugly basketball game.

I really like their freshmen PG Jizzle James.

That KU team is nothing to fear. I think UH, Baylor, and ISU are all better than them, even though they beat two of them already, UH and Baylor will do to them what Tech just did when they play them at home.

What I can't figure out is who in that middle group of Big 12 teams has the goods to make a run in the tournament. Maybe Tech or TCU? I don't see KU or Texas making any noise, nor do I see BYU doing anything. UH seems like the only serious title contender. 

On 2/13/2024 at 11:11 AM, JWinTX said:

That KU team is nothing to fear. I think UH, Baylor, and ISU are all better than them, even though they beat two of them already, UH and Baylor will do to them what Tech just did when they play them at home.

What I can't figure out is who in that middle group of Big 12 teams has the goods to make a run in the tournament. Maybe Tech or TCU? I don't see KU or Texas making any noise, nor do I see BYU doing anything. UH seems like the only serious title contender. 

KU's still capable of making a run if McCullar is healthy for the tournament.  They have shit for depth, but when they're on they can be a fucking buzzsaw.  What they did to Houston in the Phog wasn't a fluke, it's just impossible to recreate on a nightly basis when you have a 6 man rotation.

Unless KU makes it to the Big 12 championship game in KC, I'd almost expect them to get on a heater in the Dance.

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We’re a fucking wagon right now. Don’t see us beating Houston on Monday, but if they pick up just one more loss we’re getting a share

I'll take an 8 point loss on the road to an, in my opinion, elite eight team (minimum) any day. Especially when we have arguably our most important player held out. I think Houston picks up at least one more road loss.

5 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'll take an 8 point loss on the road to an, in my opinion, elite eight team (minimum) any day. Especially when we have arguably our most important player held out. I think Houston picks up at least one more road loss.

I do think our tendency to blow these giant leads will catch up with us.  I just hope it’s in Big 12 play and not March Madness.

You guys are salty and will make noise in March at full strength 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Why does the conference tournament have to include everyone? Just let us get this shit over with and move on. Why should we have to play a meaningless game on a Tuesday? 

Well, if you keep winning it’s not meaningless 

I am looking forward to tonight's game as much as any non-Tech/ Tournament game in a while.  IMHO, these 2 squads are the cream of the crop in a fucking gauntlet of a conference slate.  Big XII this season:

tumblr_mhixxc5Uv21qlud9mo1_400.gif

Edited by slorch

It's a lot more fun for me knowing Houston's remaining slate vs ours.  There's a very good chance they pick up another loss, and maybe even 2 more.  We can absolutely afford to lose this game tonight and still be fine for a share of the conference crown.  With unbalanced schedules, and us splitting the regular season it would feel like a truly shared title unlike back when the Big 10 (now I'm talking football) had 11 teams and someone would miss Ohio State and Michigan and finished tied with one of those squads, and everyone knowing that OSU/Mich would pummel the co-champ if they had actually played.

Fuck Kelvin Sampson.  Have your team play caveman defense and then lose your fucking mind when any foul is called.

GTFO of here.

Coogs are controlling it, and Cyclones are hanging tough.  Samson's antics are more annoying than anything shown in an NFL game.

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Fuck Kelvin Sampson.  Have your team play caveman defense and then lose your fucking mind when any foul is called.

GTFO of here.

Coogs are controlling it, and Cyclones are hanging tough.  Samson's antics are more annoying than anything shown in an NFL game.

He's really good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slorch said:
He is.
But spare me the outrage every time a whistle blows.

I actually laughed when he blew up, given the first half FT disparity.

A rubber match between us and Houston in KC for the Tournament title would be electric.

Both games went essentially the same way: home team opens absurd lead, road team comes clawing back but can never get over the hump.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

On 2/17/2024 at 1:28 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

We’re a fucking wagon right now. Don’t see us beating Houston on Monday, but if they pick up just one more loss we’re getting a share

You guys definitely have the easier schedule down the stretch. The Baylor game in Waco is the key for you guys. I think UH wins the rest of their games after that one. UCF getting both you guys at home back to back is interesting.

Edited by HtownHorn

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times, but there's got to be something the Big 12 can do to keep Jamie Dixon's fucking ass off the court. I think that shit pisses me off the most out of all the other basketball shit in this conference. Dude has literally injured players doing this in conference play and the Big 12 never says a thing to him about it.