19 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the best?

• Mark Knopfler
    • Jerry Garcia
    • Dave Matthews
    • Eric Clapton
    • Other

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How does the 5150 differ from the Marshalls Eddie used early on?

The 5150 is supposedly a modified SLO. I'm not enough of a circuit expert to say one way or another but guys I trust think that.

There was a rumor it was based on a Jose modded Marshall, but James Brown at Peavey categorically denies it.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Either way both hot rodded EL34 based amps right?

I mean yeah but how they operate is way different. The SLO is a 2203 power section basically, but it doesn't really break up like the 2203. Plus the SLO has multiple channels, and relies on preamp distortion and has a cold clipper. The SLO power section is very Hifi in practice.

I'd say a SLO is a JCM800 with a Mesa preamp, but that is disrespectful to Soldano, as Mesa blatantly ripped of the SLO for the Rectifier series, so it's actually other way around

I’m not the biggest “noodling” fan but these are a couple of great players.  And I love the way DZ can switch from “noodling” to straight taste.  And Steve is such a great player too.

I saw the first tour of “Zappa plays Zappa,” in Houston and I was blown away.

All that to say, these two should be in the conversation.

Oh yeah, and let’s throw Frank in there as well.

Edited by Rip76

On 7/17/2023 at 3:01 PM, Superhero said:

May be an unpopular opinion, but Nuno Bettencourt is my jam. Technically impressive, and his tone is out of this world (essentially a Pro-Rat pedal into a 5150-like amp.

Totally agree with you. He was my favorite guitar player back in the day. I saw them in concert 3 times and he was just nails. His play on the new album "Six" is amazing as well.

24 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

@Goredho turned me on to this guy...he ain't bad.

Guthrie is ridiculously good, and probably my favorite currently active guitarist still at their peak.  I've seen him live twice with the Aristocrats, he played incredibly difficult and varied music and was literally perfect doing it twice.  His hands are like camel spiders, comically oversized for the rest of his frame.  My favorite solo of his is from this Steven Wilson song, just beautiful, melodic and haunting.

Edited by Goredho