"I’m on Threads" meta thread

'stache

16 minutes ago, RPM said:

He's 1 step away from becoming the new MySpace at any given moment.

And like the MySpace people (and GeoCities), he probably doesn't realize that he's at a bit of a tipping point.  He may be the 14th or 15th largest social media platform in the world, but once upon a time the MySpace people were pretty full of themselves - hell, they were the most visited internet site in 2006 or 2007 (passing up Yahoo) and had 300 million users (which was freaking huge back in 2007).  And a huge part of MySpace's downfall was that it got spammy and overrun with a lot of shady people/shit.  It didn't help that Fox wouldn't let up on the ads or trying to make it something it wasn't (a portal for all things Fox).

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

And like the MySpace people (and GeoCities), he probably doesn't realize that he's at a bit of a tipping point.  He may be the 14th or 15th largest social media platform in the world, but once upon a time the MySpace people were pretty full of themselves - hell, they were the most visited internet site in 2006 or 2007 (passing up Yahoo) and had 300 million users (which was freaking huge back in 2007).  And a huge part of MySpace's downfall was that it got spammy and overrun with a lot of shady people/shit.  It didn't help that Fox wouldn't let up on the ads or trying to make it something it wasn't (a portal for all things Fox).

That describes what Facebook is now more than Twitter. Holy hell Facebook feeds are terrible now. Might see 1 or 2 posts from friends and the rest are just suggested articles and ads.

Mosseri posted an update

Fediverse update thread 🔔🧵For those of you who don't know, @Threads is being built on the ActivityPub protocol, which means that it will be interoperable with other apps/servers like Mastodon over time. This week we took a small, but important, step by allowing people in the Fediverse, who don't use Threads or even have an Instagram account, to follow my Threads account as well as a few others. Content is starting to flow from Threads to the Fediverse.

We are working to make this option available to all public accounts on Threads, not just a handful of testers. We're starting small to make sure we have time to work through all the challenges, as our systems historically have been not been designed with this use case in mind.

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

https://www.threads.net/@zuck/post/C4yMa0Gxxph

First post in the fediverse!

We're making progress integrating Threads into the fediverse and launching a beta in a few countries that lets people choose to federate their posts. If you see this and turn it on from your profile, you'll see likes from federated platforms appear on your posts here.

76ec48854b2797d352c8136a16ba6fc4.jpg

When you post on Threads, your post will appear on other social media apps in the fediverse, such as Mastodon. Mastodon users can then like your post, and you’ll see those likes on your original post on Threads. The idea is to allow interoperability between apps, whereas currently, everything just exists in its own universe.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 8/21/2023 at 11:42 AM, NoName said:

it doesn't matter if 99% of its users delete their account and never use the app again, it still means this didn't happen:

it isn't going to close down or not "make it 3 months", moron.

no one is happier to post dumb shit on the internet than you.

and no one is happier to double and triple down than you.

you really are a unicorn. typically, people don't love going out of their way to ensure that everyone around them knows they are a dumbass at as many opportunities as possible...but not you!

I am enjoying the vibe on Threads. I see posts from people that I actually want to see posts from. I only have 11,000 followers so not a great deal but they are hanging in there. It will be interesting to see what happens with all these social media platforms. I think I'm on about 15 of them now, though I don't have time to tend to them all on a daily basis.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...