"I’m on Threads" meta thread

'stache

Just forced an update, don’t see the different tabs but I feel like the little thread icon refresh animation was missing before and that… weirdly bugged me. Like a sneeze that finally comes, the little tracing animation when you pull down to refresh is nice.

It’s been there. Perhaps a bug that you weren’t seeing it

24 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Just forced an update, don’t see the different tabs but I feel like the little thread icon refresh animation was missing before and that… weirdly bugged me. Like a sneeze that finally comes, the little tracing animation when you pull down to refresh is nice.

19 minutes ago, Lurch said:

It’s been there. Perhaps a bug that you weren’t seeing it

Some of the updates were server-side and not generally available until now.

On 7/14/2023 at 7:10 AM, immamac said:

I think cartoon dicks are against tos on threads. The plan is definitely to mix in some variety. 

I think if said cartoon phallus was jack-hammering Elmo's mouth, it probably would slip by the Threads Police.

Today's tip(S)

• hitting ENTER/return three times starts a new reply in the thread.
  • Who Can Reply – Before you post a new thread, you can set who can reply to that specific thread. The three options are – Anyone, Profiles you follow, Mentioned only

And Threads is about to be compatible with ActivityPub, from the official account:

ICYMI: We’re working toward making Threads compatible with ActivityPub, which means it would work with apps like Mastodon and WordPress. Think of it like email: You can write to anyone with an email address, because it’s a decentralized system

So if you’re a creator with a public account here you’ll soon be able to reach new audiences with no added effort. 🔥 You’ll also have the option to take your content and move to other services like Mastodon at any time. If you have a private account, you can approve people who want to follow you, similar to your experience on Instagram.

And Mosseri is worth a follow

https://www.threads.net/@mosseri

Their focus seems to be on a lot of little usability things right now (well that and the ActivityPub which is really fucking huge).  This is all stuff they would have probably had ready if they hadn't launched so early, but I can't fault them for launching early - Twitter was spiraling in. And still is.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

It mosseri wrote the description of “activitypub makes it like email”, that’s a great way to describe how that decentralizes it.

Yeah, and lest anybody think any of us have rose-colored glasses on, I assume that they are supporting that because while they say "oh hey, you can pick up and use another service if you like", what they mean is "if we make it easy to communicate with those other services, you'll stay with Threads and use it as your pseudo-homebase and won't feel the need to go elsewhere!"

The ability to embed content is a big one, and I’m not sure how much of that TwXtter controls versus embedding platforms control.  Like, Twitter grew organically over time, and slowly over time you saw different platforms support its embedded content.  But now I bet there is a lot more TwXtter content consumed via embeds than directly through their app.

So can threads just provide a widget that any content platform can support with minor platform tweaks to have drop-in content?  Or does every content platform have to essentially make their own widget to allow Threads content to be embedded?

• Hook 'Em 2

The ability to embed content is a big one, and I’m not sure how much of that TwXtter controls versus embedding platforms control.  Like, Twitter grew organically over time, and slowly over time you saw different platforms support its embedded content.  But now I bet there is a lot more TwXtter content consumed via embeds than directly through their app.
So can threads just provide a widget that any content platform can support with minor platform tweaks to have drop-in content?  Or does every content platform have to essentially make their own widget to allow Threads content to be embedded?

I believe it takes:
1) the platform makes their content available via API
2) the forum software providing a widget that displays content it collects from that API.

#1 likely occurs when they release a web version, as their web version will probably leverage APIs itself

#2 might take a while depending on demand from the @immamac ‘s of the world who buy forum software
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I believe it takes:
1) the platform makes their content available via API
2) the forum software providing a widget that displays content it collects from that API.

#1 likely occurs when they release a web version, as their web version will probably leverage APIs itself

#2 might take a while depending on demand from the @immamac ‘s of the world who buy forum software

There has to already be an API and server-side data, code & infrastructure for the mobile app to connect to and connect everyone together.  So the barrier for #1 is probably sorta small.  Handling things like auth and rate limiting and all of that.  And you can imagine Facebook itself could support Threads embeds quickly.

But when we drop a Twitter link here, it's just an HTTP link, the same one from your browser that gives you the content in a desktop browser.  So there definitely needs to be a Threads web version.  But there is something on the embedding platform side that controls how the content from that normal HTTP response is rendered in an embedding page.  That's the part that I don't know how much may be able to be provided by Threads in a widget or whatever that makes adding embed support to a blog or BBS a breeze (couple lines of code).  Or if slowly, after a web version is enabled, all these blog and BBS platforms have to develop a widget to support embeds.

I imagine support will show up quickly here after any Threads and BBS software side dependencies are covered.  Imma's made it pretty clear he's betting on Threads.

But when we drop a Twitter link here, it's just an HTTP link, the same one from your browser that gives you the content in a desktop browser.  So there definitely needs to be a Threads web version.  But there is something on the embedding platform side that controls how the content from that normal HTTP response is rendered in an embedding page.  That's the part that I don't know how much may be able to be provided by Threads in a widget or whatever that makes adding embed support to a blog or BBS a breeze (couple lines of code).  Or if slowly, after a web version is enabled, all these blog and BBS platforms have to develop a widget to support embeds.
I imagine support will show up quickly here after any Threads and BBS software side dependencies are covered.  Imma's made it pretty clear he's betting on Threads.

While we may drop an http link (and the forum may display it as such), the forum software is actually decoding it and making an API call for content. It’s not using the source’s web services for that content.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Lurch said:

While we may drop an http link (and the forum may display it as such), the forum software is actually decoding it and making an API call for content. It’s not using the source’s web services for that content.

Thanks, didn't know those details.

Given that, it seems like once a public API is available, Meta could provide a front end widget that given a URL, makes the API call(s) and displays the content within an enclosing div or whatever, with some config params to control some rendering things.  Then the BBS platform just has a small amount of work to do to support it.  Add the ability to recognize a threads link and create an instance of the widget in the page with the URL as input.

On 7/26/2023 at 8:55 AM, Lurch said:

Is this why linked images and such break after a while?  The API call is no longer happening?

Is this why linked images and such break after a while?  The API call is no longer happening?

That’s probably just the source image being removed from its host, which is why imma suggests we always post images directly to surly rather than linking
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/26/2023 at 10:20 AM, immamac said:

The api is actually the issue not the embed widget. Meta has bogus requirements for API integration. 

Your disdain for Asians and Pacific Islanders is noted.

A pair of burly Samoans may well show up at your door soon to help you see the light.

On 7/14/2023 at 1:05 PM, longhornmatt said:

Which threads are your threads?  I don’t pay attention to nonsense like that.  To be honest, it’s weird that you do.  And equally weird that you feel so possessive of *your* threads.  Was your childhood difficult?  

I've been thinking about this, Mr. @longhornmatt. If I'm here and you're here, doesn't that make it our thread? Certainly, there's nothing wrong with a little feast on our thread.

fast-times-at-ridgemont-high-spicoli-mr-

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Three new features:

• Directly share a post to your Instagram DMs
  • Custom alt-text for photo/video
  • New mention button to easily mention someone’s account in your Thread

They are prioritizing a web app and a full-blown/enhanced search over the next week or two, according to what they've said, and supposedly hashtags are in the mix.

Get that web app up and get a proper search, and usage will go way up.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Three new features:

• Directly share a post to your Instagram DMs
  • Custom alt-text for photo/video
  • New mention button to easily mention someone’s account in your Thread

They are prioritizing a web app and a full-blown/enhanced search over the next week or two, according to what they've said, and supposedly hashtags are in the mix.

Get that web app up and get a proper search, and usage will go way up.

Agree. I only use Twitter to share links to Surly

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

No one is going to make the permanent switch until webapp, search, and embed are launched. It’s only been a couple months. 

Yeah, I've got a steady group of people I follow and people following me, and it's been talked about that if they'd get the webapp up, we'd all be posting a lot more.  But the stuff we are talking about does not lend itself to pithy one-liners shit-posted dashed out on a phone.

The search and embed would be huge for everybody.  A bunch of the Ukraine/OSINT folks have said they'd switch or post a lot more on Threads if embeds and search were available.

Search will probably be out in the next two weeks, based on what the Threads people are saying.

• Hook 'Em 1