"I’m on Threads" meta thread

'stache

On 7/6/2023 at 7:09 AM, Celery Man said:

which also means that it is lightyears ahead of twitter in terms of people/accounts being who they say they are

If I saw a post from a "Tex48" here (which I may have, avi may jog my memory) I would assume the 48 is in reference to a birth year.

I sometimes chuckle at Helobius feeling like he is the surly young person ambassador - I assume he's in his late twenties. Bro, you're already old you just don't know it yet.

My new job tracks my browsing history so I’m not as active on surly as I used to be. I will be at all of the tailgates this fall. Speaking of @immamac can I change my username? 
I haven’t made a threads account yet. I’ve spent a lot of time curating my Twitter feed and like where it’s at. 

I got off Twitter sometime after the "For You" tab started to dominate my feed.  The "everyone can be verified for a fee" thing pushed me away, but it was the "For You" tab constantly shoving extreme politics and the most idiotic sports takes possible into my feed that made me want to bail.

So far Threads seems more like Twitter used to be.

15 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

would bang

Particularly her character in Parks & Rec.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

18 hours ago, 52-80 said:

people may follow different accounts and ascribe different significance to a checkmark. my feed of finance and tech remained the same - with same people posting, checked or not.  most palpable difference is crypto spambots disappeared or relegated to hidden replies….somewhat replaced by OnlyFans spam (is that a net win?)

the previous twitter ‘alternatives’ were factional offshoots - gab and parler for RW, mastodon and post for LW, etc.  they were supposed to pull users away from twitter (but failed).  threads i can see permanent migration of people who used twitter to follow big media celebs.  my guess is its pulling user time away from instagram instead of from twitter, and twitter will continue to persist in parallel. 

i cherish web drama. its not a non-denial, its an open admission. 

my wall went from those that I follow, to inundated with maga bullshit bot accounts. Non stop blue check mark accounts that are less then a year old spouting insane crap.

Accounts that had been following posts are not showing up under my following tab but randomly appear under the for you

and wtf is the for you

when I'm reading a tweet Ill see the heading of the following tweet and when I scroll down, twitter refreshes and that tweet I wanted to read has been reorganized elsewhere

None of this happened prior to musk taking over, the main thing is the spam. I block everyone now, I dont engage and the algorithm still fills my wall with this shit

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

4 minutes ago, Smax said:

my wall went from those that I follow, to inundated with maga bullshit bot accounts. Non stop blue check mark accounts that are less then a year old spouting insane crap.

Accounts that had been following posts are not showing up under my following tab but randomly appear under the for you

and wtf is the for you

when I'm reading a tweet Ill see the heading of the following tweet and when I scroll down, twitter refreshes and that tweet I wanted to read has been reorganized elsewhere

None of this happened prior to musk taking over, the main thing is the spam. I block everyone now, I dont engage and the algorithm still fills my wall with this shit

I posted before that I started getting twitter notifications with right wing nonsense.

BREAKING: Biden Crime Family ...  Something Something Wokeism.

Nothing in any of my social media profiles would indicate that I'd be interested in that stuff, and if anything, it would show the complete opposite.

I knew something was fucky right then. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 hours ago, South Austin said:

I feel okay about not knowing what the fuck “fediverse” means.

You're gonna want to shoot for the late 2004 or early 2005 fediverse. Its before you got fat, and you get to bang like a Tier 2 Britney. Not as hot as "Oops, I did it again" Britney, but definitely hotter than "Telly Savalas" Britney.

Britney Spears and Kevin Federline in Beverly Hills in 2005 (20 pics) -  izispicy.com

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

You're gonna want to shoot for the late 2004 or early 2005 fediverse. Its before you got fat, and you get to bang like a Tier 2 Britney. Not as hot as "Oops, I did it again" Britney, but definitely hotter than "Telly Savalas" Britney.

Britney Spears and Kevin Federline in Beverly Hills in 2005 (20 pics) -  izispicy.com

it's like they photoshopped chad muska's head and arms onto a picture of a toddler

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

According to you,

fuentes as appropriately banned for lots of pro-Nazi talk?  You sure you wanna admit that considering your idol breaks bread with him in his home.  ?

Your strawmanning is confusing, so maybe explain who you think my idol is, supported with receipts from my 10k+ posts available on this site. 

according to me, the people who (threatened to) quit twitter in the wave post-musk, are ideologically/politically opposed to those who did the same pre-musk.  agree or disagree?

according to me, the avg traffic to twitter remained constant, so the loud people from above represented a small minority, whereas most people are indifferent to the fringe noise.

according to that newrepublic article, nick fuentes was live for a 24hr praising hitler and then got permanuked.  thats seems completely appropriate…whats your point there then? 

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Your strawmanning is confusing, so maybe explain who you think my idol is, supported with receipts from my 10k+ posts available on this site. 

according to me, the people who (threatened to) quit twitter in the wave post-musk, are ideologically/politically opposed to those who did the same pre-musk.  agree or disagree?

according to me, the avg traffic to twitter remained constant, so the loud people from above represented a small minority, whereas most people are indifferent to the fringe noise.

according to that newrepublic article, nick fuentes was live for a 24hr praising hitler and then got permanuked.  thats seems completely appropriate…whats your point there then? 

image.gif.a6d5ad82c4e9cccdf394a9b2314d0a14.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

27 minutes ago, Smax said:

and wtf is the for you

why do you hate FREE SPEECH?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Smax said:

and wtf is the for you

I stick to Following, and shrink/expand my curation from there. Twitter used to revert that tab to sort by popularity, which ive always had to switch to chronological. Now the option is gone entirely.

Been there since ‘20 and For You never worked back then. It was as effective as the ad-targeting, which is to say not at all. People complaining about amplifying/deboosting/shadowbanning has always been a thing, done across both ownerships. 

Just shape your tools the way you wanna use them. E.g. for 15 years of facebook, ive never filled out my profile with likes and dislikes, dont follow businesses or musicians, dont review restaurants, dont join activism groups. Its just me occasionally sharing travel photos in-network, and I get to see what distant acquaintances and extended family are up to. Works perfectly. 

• Drool 1

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

52-80 advising Michael Dukakis in 1988: “Well, we sent Willie Horton back to prison afterwards, didn’t we?  What’s the big deal?  Just say that if they ask, and wear this military helmet for a photo op.  People will give you credit for being the law and order tough guy, trust me.”

Stretching the conversation from my observation of twitter user inflow/outflow into a characterization exercise referencing nuremberg, michael dukakis, and willie horton as analogies…sounds like a very sane thing for you to do. 

• Haha 2

I feel your pain, @52-80. It's very difficult to communicate rationally and moderately with people who, at a minimum, need therapy in order to ingest and synthesize the data points of a conversation. I think @Celery Mangets it and communicates well in that respect, and longhornmatt is usually smart, but you are seeing the mental illness unique to messageboards firsthand.

Question: Since I'm calling this out, what should my next name be?

Edited by HonkeyVape
  • Fuck You 14

50 minutes ago, texasdago said:

#TeamDayOne

I see a lot of promise with Threads.  Needs some work but, uh, it just launched.  It will get there.  70M users that fast shows how much people are clamoring for a real Twitter alternative.

They have got to get a move on adding a chronological view and your follows only view. I feel like that's a dealbreaker for most people. I'm following a lot of people and still get some many randos that I have no desire to read. It's the worst parts of Facebook and Instagram all rolled into one. 

18 minutes ago, HonkeyVape said:

I feel your pain, @52-80. It's very difficult to communicate rationally and moderately with people who, at a minimum, need therapy in order to ingest and synthesize the data points of a conversation. I think @Celery Mangets it and communicates well in that respect, and longhornmatt is usually smart, but you are seeing the mental illness unique to messageboards firsthand.

Question: Since I'm calling this out, what should my next name be?

Shake Head No GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

They have got to get a move on adding a chronological view and your follows only view. I feel like that's a dealbreaker for most people. I'm following a lot of people and still get some many randos that I have no desire to read. It's the worst parts of Facebook and Instagram all rolled into one. 

I’m seeing this right now and just muting the ones I don’t want to see, but I am not a heavy user and won’t post at all.  I just want to read news and follow UT football and a few other organizations.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It seems to actually be getting better as to who it shows me.  It's probably a combination of people you follow and them actually posting content.  But yes, two tabs would be great.  

5 minutes ago, texasdago said:

It seems to actually be getting better as to who it shows me.  It's probably a combination of people you follow and them actually posting content.  But yes, two tabs would be great.  

Getting better for me. It seems like you can only search for accounts - I’m kinda “finding” people I know i’d like to follow just bit by but but I wish I could search for topics more easily. But that’s just some of that “not quite yet” functionality.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Mine is just a mess so maybe you're right and there's just not enough content being posted by the people I follow. I just don't want to sit and mute people all day. I think the mess of randos and celebs being pushed by the algorithm is going to turn people off really quickly. Just give us the Twitter replacement we are desiring and not the Instagram suggestion feature. 

this is interesting- seeming to want to walk a fine line
https://www.threads.net/t/CuZ3LjhNl0m/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
IMG_3184.thumb.jpeg.0463d0b5615e877d34d2771fae87afbb.jpeg

This is not good. It does, though, underscore why the fediverse will win out long term. Soon you’ll be able to take your account (and follows) to an alternate service on the fediverse where moderation and algorithms (if any) are more to your liking.

7 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Getting better for me. It seems like you can only search for accounts - I’m kinda “finding” people I know i’d like to follow just bit by but but I wish I could search for topics more easily. But that’s just some of that “not quite yet” functionality.

Hey man you can follow me and be my like 11th follower

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

^^^(aggy reply) bravo

this is interesting- seeming to want to walk a fine line

https://www.threads.net/t/CuZ3LjhNl0m/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

IMG_3184.thumb.jpeg.0463d0b5615e877d34d2771fae87afbb.jpeg

popular non-partisan view: social media drive engagement by inciting people with polarizing politics

popular texas sports forum post count:  football 1.3M posts...cloak room 1.1M posts...daily texan 460k posts....basketball 260k posts... baseball 400k posts

adam mosseri, head of instagram/threads: we want to make this a happy place, and we will deboost politics and hard news.

me: threads attracts a different activity; twitter stays alive because its made for politics and arguing

totally normal people:  well what about michael dukakis!!

It's certainly true inciting people gets views. it's why FOXNEWS primetime and asshats like Tucket Carlson and Hannity get such good ratings.    

The same applies to all the shout-and-scream sports jackasses like Stephen A and Bayliss and Cowherd.   

36 minutes ago, Lurch said:

This is not good. It does, though, underscore why the fediverse will win out long term. Soon you’ll be able to take your account (and follows) to an alternate service on the fediverse where moderation and algorithms (if any) are more to your liking.

I'm seeing plenty of news organizations and journalists in my searches.

As for threads, it looks promising, but Im not gonna use it much until the chronological sorting and ability to just see who I follow is up and running.    Not having it yet does make sense.   If you logged in yesterday you'd mostly had an empty timeline, until you went through suggestions and were able to pick and choose who to follow.   

• Hook 'Em 1