"I’m on Threads" meta thread

'stache

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Not the biggest fan of seeing threads from randos. Why do I need to see what shakira, Ashley nocera, or fuckjerry posted? Why am I seeing this?

this.  i follow 38 people on twitter and that's really all i care about seeing on there.  i also don't follow any friends or people i know in real life, that's what my insta is for. now i have my insta friends following me on threads and i'd rather be anonymous on there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/6/23786011/people-are-posting-a-lot-on-threads

This was published around 12:30 PM, for reference:

Mark Zuckerberg has been giving regular updates on the number of people joining Threads, last sharing that there have been 30 million sign-ups as of this morning.
It turns out that people are posting.. er, threading.. a lot, too. There have been over 95 million threads posted to date and about 190 million likes given on the app, according to internal Meta data I’ve seen.

This is all moving really fast. The first handful Meta employees were onboarded to Threads on June 18th. There were just under 1,000 beta users as of July 4th, and I was given access to Threads by Meta several hours before public launch yesterday, when there were just under 3,000 users.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Viking said:

This reminds me of one of my first jobs during the dotcom days.

Excited to join and arrive on the first day.

"Where's Brad?" "Oh, he left."

"What about David? I interviewed with him also." "He's gone too."

*ive-made-a-huge-mistake face*

That happened to me once, and I ended up at that job for nearly 8 years.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Not the biggest fan of seeing threads from randos. Why do I need to see what shakira, Ashley nocera, or fuckjerry posted? Why am I seeing this?

You just need to up your follow list. I did this earlier and I'm seeing a lot less randos. I'd imagine in a week, we'll get a "only those you follow" option. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That really is the only remaining pitch-point for Twitter, isn't it?  When the super-content creators move over, and people who want to follow their info follow suit, that's Twitter's pitch: "stay, and shitpost all you want!"  There's definitely a group that wants that....but they ain't gonna be big enough to pay the bills that are coming due.

4Chan is able to keep the lights on somehow.

22 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Plus, the Saudis invested $2 billion in it along with Elon, and I kind of doubt they’re going to be cool with the whole, “Hey, new plan guys: we’re going to be worth 10% of what the company was worth when you rolled over your investment … but it will be worth it when you can shitpost all you want!”

I would not be surprised if the Saudis bought in, in order to have some "special" access to various groups/individuals/etc. on twitter.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

4Chan is able to keep the lights on somehow.

4Chan didn't leverage itself in a 10-figure amount.  It ain't the declining value of Twitter that will be the problem.  It's how that declining value meets up with debt service obligations.  4Chan doesn't have that problem.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/6/23786011/people-are-posting-a-lot-on-threads

This was published around 12:30 PM, for reference:

If you created an account when Instagram’s Threads app launched last night, one of the first things you might’ve noticed was the sheer number of celebrities, brands, and influencers populating your feed. From Gordon Ramsay to Michael Strahan and Jennifer Lopez, Meta pre-filled its new Twitter competitor with a boatload of well-known users to make the app feel less empty at launch.

While Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Instagram head Adam Mosseri got spots on the app ahead of time, so did big names such as Mark Cuban, Shakira, and Seth Curry. Meta also got influencers like MKBHD, Lauren Godwin, Alan Chikin Chow, and Michael Le on board early, along with brands like Netflix, as well as Warner Bros. Discovery’s Shark Week, Animal Planet, and HGTV.

why you're seeing Shakira and others. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

this.  i follow 38 people on twitter and that's really all i care about seeing on there.  i also don't follow any friends or people i know in real life, that's what my insta is for. now i have my insta friends following me on threads and i'd rather be anonymous on there.

I think they said its part of growing pains for the platform since new users won't have follows or followers. I clicked on the option to follow everyone who makes the jump from Instagram and have been getting notifications all day. I think eventually they said you can limit your feed or prioritize your follows and followers. 

EDIT: Or what that guy said ^^^^^

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

Threads feed is improving - as you add follows and like a few things it starts to clean up. It's not instant but it feeds the algorithm. 

Genius move to piggyback this off of Instagram. 

Also genius to not allow deleting your threads account without deleting your Instagram account. 

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

why you're seeing Shakira and others. 

And people like Shakira have 85+ million followers on Instagram, and it's not hard to start converting those people to Threads users.  Once you get a few million of her followers converted, they'll bring others, they'll add their own content, etc.

For once, Meta is handling a "new" project competently, with a laser focus and a grasp on who their customers (and products) are, unlike the Metaverse/VR stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Is someone complaining about seeking Shakira?

32 minutes ago, Pancho said:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Would be hilarious if a bunch of those ex-twitter employees Musk is bitching about were the ones who weren't paid/twitter won't go into arbitration with.

of the great many reasons Twitter has no case, this is one of them

27 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I thought patents were for the weak, Elmo?

hey you need to use the full context here, because it matters!

During the tour, Leno asked if SpaceX had a patent on the material used to build its ships. Musk replied that his spacecraft manufacturer ”[doesn’t] really patent things.”

“I don’t care about patents,” Musk told Leno. “Patents are for the weak.”

In Musk’s opinion, patents are “generally used as a blocking technique” that are designed to prevent others from innovating.

“They’re used like landmines in warfare,” he says. “They don’t actually help advance things; they just stop others from following you.”

and

″[Patents] serve merely to stifle progress, entrench the positions of giant corporations and enrich those in the legal profession, rather than the actual inventors,” he wrote at the time.

+

edit - adding a link that has some more info https://www.semafor.com/article/07/06/2023/twitter-is-threatening-to-sue-meta-over-threads

Spiro accused Meta of hiring dozens of former Twitter employees who “had and continue to have access to Twitter’s trade secrets and other highly confidential information.”

He also alleged that Meta assigned those employees to develop “Meta’s copycat ‘Threads’ app with the specific intent that they use Twitter’s trade secrets and other intellectual property in order to accelerate the development of Meta’s competing app, in violation of both state and federal law as well as those employees’ ongoing obligations to Twitter.”

A Meta source told Semafor that Twitter’s accusations are baseless.

“No one on the Threads engineering team is a former Twitter employee — that’s just not a thing,” the source said.

i can't imagine they would come out and straight up say "no one" if they had anyone from that team.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Here is page 2

If Musk actually believed any of that, he would have deleted/banned Zuckerberg's twitter account, and he'd be running his mouth whining about Zuck or posting memes that catturd2 approved of.

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

i can't imagine they would come out and straight up say "no one" if they had anyone from that team.

It's also extremely arrogant for Musk and Co. to assume they would need twitter developers.  Threads is piggybacking off of Instagram and its code base (12 years of development)- downplaying videos/photos and pivoting to *checks notes* text, which has been a mainstay of HTML development for 30 years.

Instead, Musk is acting like Meta hired a few dozen twitter developers and built a competitor for scratch instead of repurposing some of Instagram's code/infrastructure.

8 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

30 million sign ups in day 1. Definitely has some staying power.

As it stands, the Spidey meme Zuck posted has over 25 million views.

Edited by atomheartbevo

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's also extremely arrogant for Musk and Co. to assume they would need twitter developers.  Threads is piggybacking off of Instagram and its code base (12 years of development)- downplaying videos/photos and pivoting to *checks notes* text, which has been a mainstay of HTML development for 30 years.

I don't think it's arrogant - I think he doesn't really know how much bigger Meta is than Twitter. The suggestion that Meta would "scrape" Twitter for users is beyond absurd and something they would only do for a laugh considering their user base is 10 times what Twitter's is. 

That entire letter is ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I don't think it's arrogant - I think he doesn't really know how much bigger Meta is than Twitter. The suggestion that Meta would "scrape" Twitter for users is beyond absurd and something they would only do for a laugh considering their user base is 10 times what Twitter's is. 

it's like they wrote the letter before threads was out. why would they want to yank from your twitter followers, which gets dicey obviously, when they can just pull from your existing IG followers with a click of a button, have it work seamlessly, and move forward without touching twitter at all?

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Seriously makes no sense. The premise of Threads is that they had 2 billion Instagram users who can sign up with a few clicks. Why would they need to "scrape" Twitter (whatever that means, I interpret it as try to seek new users). I just lost some serious respect for Quinn Emmanuel.

• Hook 'Em 1

My guess is they’re preempting attempts by meta to enable importing follow lists. Software companies always look for “stickiness” to make transitioning to competitors difficult, and this is theirs
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Instead, Musk is acting like Meta hired a few dozen twitter developers and built a competitor for scratch instead of repurposing some of Instagram's code/infrastructure.

Just now, 'stache said:

Seriously makes no sense. The premise of Threads is that they had 2 billion Instagram users who can sign up with a few clicks. Why would they need to "scrape" Twitter (whatever that means, I interpret it as try to seek new users). I just lost some serious respect for Quinn Emmanuel.

It all makes perfect sense when you look at it through the lens of "okay, if Elon was going to start a competitor of Twitter, how would HE go about it?"  He's just accusing Zuck of doing what he would have done.  And Elon is too arrogant to realize/accept that not everybody rolls the way he does.

I'm going to bet that Zuck 1) has a legal team, and 2) at least somewhat listens to their advice.  And, ummm, they would have considered the option of "let's just hire Twitter people and steal the code and shit that's in their brains, knowing that it's trade secret and likely protected by agreements" and said "yeah, let's maybe not do that.  Especially because we don't need to."

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

1 minute ago, NoName said:

it's like they wrote the letter before threads was out. why would they want to yank from your twitter followers, which gets dicey obviously, when they can just pull from your existing IG followers with a click of a button, have it work seamlessly, and move forward without touching twitter at all?

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

A lot of people do not realize that Twitter is barely in the top 15 or so (and reddit is behind it).  It swings well above its weight class, no denying it, but especially when you factor in the number of bots/secondary accounts/etc., it's not that useful for Meta to worry about scraping when they could simply add-in the functionality to Instagram to say "hey, if you want to use Threads, click this button".

7 minutes ago, Lurch said:

My guess is they’re preempting attempts by meta to enable importing follow lists. Software companies always look for “stickiness” to make transitioning to competitors difficult, and this is theirs

It's been a while, but last I checked it was a pain in the ass to export such lists from twitter.  I think you could get your personal data (what you posted), but I'm not sure about the follower lists.

I feel bad for the Mastadon people-- they had the right idea at the right time, just the wrong product.

And the truth of it all is, at the end of the day, Twitter needed to be acquired by a Meta/Google/etc. for it to work. The financials and business of Twitter was bad. The earnings per share, the stock price, all suggested an inefficient business model. Elon thought he could come in and see it to it's full potential. Obviously took the L on that almost immediately.

Meta can roll out something like Twitter, in Threads, and not have to worry about it being profitable or break-even in the near term.

But once they start monetizing it, the devil you know in Facebook will be back, and once the shine wear off we will be back to "Threads is intrusive, and sketchy with my personal data, I don't trust them, making money unethically, etc."

It's a testament to how much we all dislike Elon Musk that we are just happy to see the house fire that has been contained to the kitchen since April finally get some legs and get to the foundation and spread to where this baby will be burned to the ground soon and are willing to not care about the Social Dilemma of it all for now.

Edited by HonkeyVape
  • Fuck You 1