"I’m on Threads" meta thread

'stache

15 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Google+ didn’t…. do anything that anyone was asking for, I recall it being weirdly unintuitive, and generally people didn’t have a reason to change from Facebook/Instagram/Twitter

google+ also forced new google users to create a google+ account, artificially inflating the G+ numbers and integrated G+ into basically all its products including outube.

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

google+ also forced new google users to create a google+ account, artificially inflating the G+ numbers and integrated G+ into basically all its products including outube.

Yeah I remember I made a …. guitar video that I published to YouTube unlisted so I could share it here and then all of a sudden I was getting notifications that random people I know liked the video. Actually pissed me off as I didn’t do anything to share it with my circle or whatever it was called.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, NoName said:

ts tied to instagram accounts, which has somewhere around a billion monthly active users and 500m daily active users.

I think the thing that people are missing is that for all intents and purposes this is just an extension of Instagram. It's already 10 times bigger than Twitter.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, troph said:

i never really got twitter, i mean I like it for news (what's posted here and what my wife shares with me) but scrolling it nah. I joined, we'll see. but I'd love to see Elon choke on his parakeet peen.

I finally got Twitter during the Boston marathon bombing & manhunt when you would get pics, vids and copy on Twitter faster than on dedicated cable news channels.  Everyone with a smart phone became a reporter live at the scene.

Zuck’s gonna need a good domestic terror event soon to really cement this thing.

Surly will have a substantial presence on Threads. It's a demographic we have been really missing out on for fresh blood to the site. (university age and recent grads) 

Our content isn't suited for Instagram posts, but it's perfect for threads (obviously) hoping to drive some UT centric younger minds to the site from threads. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I finally got Twitter during the Boston marathon bombing & manhunt when you would get pics, vids and copy on Twitter faster than on dedicated cable news channels.  Everyone with a smart phone became a reporter live at the scene.

Zuck’s gonna need a good domestic terror event soon to really cement this thing.

I was on it for the Texas wildfires and the Ferguson riots so yeah I get that, since then I’ve gotten it indirectly. I get the value of quick, unfiltered news. But daily scrolling we’ll see. Doubtful.

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Surly will have a substantial presence on Threads. It's a demographic we have been really missing out on for fresh blood to the site. (university age and recent grads) 

Our content isn't suited for Instagram posts, but it's perfect for threads (obviously) hoping to drive some UT centric younger minds to the site from threads. 

this man planning to Thread directly at 'Croots

2 minutes ago, troph said:

what he's saying is shit man, my members are getting old and dying, I need to replace them stat.

Not really, the growth is going to come from that demographic. It's something that we haven't seen a lot of in a while. When is the last time you saw a new grad post anywhere? I posted on and read surly in college as did a lot of other folks. Those waves of new posters are really few and far between. Not many @Tex48 around here. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, G650 said:

I think the thing that people are missing is that for all intents and purposes this is just an extension of Instagram. It's already 10 times bigger than Twitter.

which also means that it is lightyears ahead of twitter in terms of people/accounts being who they say they are

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Not really, the growth is going to come from that demographic. It's something that we haven't seen a lot of in a while. When is the last time you saw a new grad post anywhere? I posted on and read surly in college as did a lot of other folks. Those waves of new posters are really few and far between. Not many @Tex48 around here. 

If I saw a post from a "Tex48" here (which I may have, avi may jog my memory) I would assume the 48 is in reference to a birth year.

I sometimes chuckle at Helobius feeling like he is the surly young person ambassador - I assume he's in his late twenties. Bro, you're already old you just don't know it yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I posted on and read surly in college as did a lot of other folks.

Well you're a liar because I know for a FACT that this site is only a few years old.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:
1 hour ago, G650 said:

which also means that it is lightyears ahead of twitter in terms of people/accounts being who they say they are

This is a big deal

43 minutes ago, immamac said:

I feel like BBS is an internet relic that us olds like but for whatever reason doesn’t resonate with the youngs.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I feel like BBS is an internet relic that us olds like but for whatever reason doesn’t resonate with the youngs.

This. My BIL is a 30yo about-to-be UT grad and he'd laugh his ass off at me if I suggested he check this place out.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

its tied to instagram accounts, which has somewhere around a billion monthly active users and 500m daily active users. but sure. math. not enough users.

your original quote, which is still incredibly dumb, was:

btw you do realize that Hayes Fawcett posts all his commitment edits on insta as well, right? you know how easy it is for him to share that to threads as well?

image.thumb.png.d0e587b42c5c5ac56cfe87ab685112ac.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

its tied to instagram accounts, which has somewhere around a billion monthly active users and 500m daily active users. but sure. math. not enough users.

your original quote, which is still incredibly dumb, was:

btw you do realize that Hayes Fawcett posts all his commitment edits on insta as well, right? you know how easy it is for him to share that to threads as well?

It's not that he's wrong. It's the arrogance with which he does it. Truly impressive stuff.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

google+ also had the misfortune of being created by Google, who are notorious for creating things that sound like good ideas only to half bake the shit out of them and then get bored and kill them off...sometimes within as little as 12-18 months. G+ itself (not all the stupid integrations with everything for no reason) was so half baked I think even that is an insult to people who half bake stuff, more like 1/3 or lower fraction baked...

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Did some googling. I had no idea instagram was in the billions of users. I would’ve guessed in the low hundreds of millions. I knew Facebook YouTube & WhatsApp were king but Instagram is a pretty close 4th. I didn’t think it was bigger than tiktok. I just think the mistake everyone here is making is that instagram user = threads user. I have an instagram, never had a Twitter, see no use to join a Twitter-like platform now. I’m sure there’s millions more like me. So in terms of that kind of service I don’t think anyone will ever unseat twitter

• Haha 2

Just now, Helobious said:

Did some googling. I had no idea instagram was in the billions of users. I would’ve guessed in the low hundreds of millions. I knew Facebook YouTube & WhatsApp were king but Instagram is a pretty close 4th. I didn’t think it was bigger than tiktok. I just think the mistake everyone here is making is that instagram user = threads user. I have an instagram, never had a Twitter, see no use to join a Twitter-like platform now. I’m sure there’s millions more like me. So in terms of that kind of service I don’t think anyone will ever unseat twitter

You definitely have banged between 2-85 white chicks.

For sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

you should reread what you wrote, consider how well informed your opinion is, and then reflect on how that relates to your experience in this thread

i mean, it doesn't matter, I'm not even really giving you shit, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, you just really packaged it all up right there - it's right in front of you ready for reflection

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yeah, this does nothing to disprove my “flash in the pan” theory. The # of new sign-ups will go into freefall in a week or two simply due to mathematics. Once the novelty wears off it’s not going to attract new people. More importantly, it isnt attracting any young people. Let me know when a recruit posts his commitment on threads. Twitter is an ingrained cultural stable that isn’t going anywhere. 

Players and recruits are already flocking to Threads precisely because it's the "new, hot thing".  All of the recruiting services are already there this morning because......that's where the recruits are going.

You stupid fuck.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Helobious said:

guy. you are out of your element here. not that it has stopped you before but you don't know shit.

a threads account is literally...literally...an instagram account. they are literally the exact same. not kind of, not sort of, they are the exact same thing. if you have joined threads, there is literally  a link on each users instagram page to take you to their threads page. meta literally have already reserved threads names for all 2 billion instagram accounts, so 2 billion accounts are literally a single click away from threads.

you made a bunch of mistakes here, but you haven't ever let being completely uninformed about a topic ever stop you from talking like you are a subject matter expert on it before. why would this be any different?

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Helobious said:

When you're right you're right, there are definitely millions upon millions of people out there with bad opinions on things they know little/nothing about just looking for an outlet to share them with each other...

Edited by Evil Bill Obrien
Words are hard

So, seems like Threads has a shot of being Twitter except without the incels/nazis and women showing their buttholes.

I'm pretty sure that I can get comfortable with the idea of 1) using Threads for checking out breaking news stories, aggregated content about certain events (Ukraine war), and some legal/"law twitter" type discussions, and 2) some other site (maybe Twitter, maybe not) for checking out pics of women showing their buttholes and whatnot.  And if that's what Twitter becomes -- a site of incels, nazis, and buttholes -- I'm pretty sure there are some alternatives that offer plenty of butthole pics without having to wade through nazi and incel bullshit.

Elon thinks he has something special in the Twitter platform.  He does not.  Twitter is just some code and a scheme of visual organization.  That can be replicated (or topped/improved upon) by any number of rivals....especially one that already has a track record in social media.  He still hasn't grasped that what makes Twitter valuable is its user base.  Take that away, and it's just an empty shell.  Just like Hornfans, Shaggybevo, and even Surlyhorns (e.g., take our brilliant, witty, and funny takes away from Surly, and this site is an empty shell with some sad dude posting to himself amid the leftover scat pics, version 2.0).

There's no guarantee that Threads will ultimately beat out Twitter.  But goddamn, with Threads' built-in user base and advantage (and a shitload of high-profile accounts and users who rapidly showed up - major news sites, big celebs with big followings, etc.), it's hard to bet against it happening.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I do like how quickly UT athletics jumped onto this

"Wait....there's a forum where we're going to be able to reach a crapload of eyes, but WITHOUT those eyes having to wade through nazi/incel bullshit and we don't run the risk of having our account spoofed thus defaming the university and we also don't run the risk of a mercurial policymaker changing the rules on us 3 times a day?  Yeah....click...account created."

• Hook 'Em 3