"I’m on Threads" meta thread

'stache

So, in a matter of days, Musk rolls his eyes at the proclamation of Meta's sane leadership, then saying being on Twitter is preferable to be screamed at by strangers instead of comforting stuff from Instagram, to outright say Meta is cheating, and having his counsel send a strongly worded letter to Meta.

Yeah, Musk and his acyolytes know the jig is up, they have no way to slow down the momentum Meta has with this, and are hoping for a legal roadblock.  

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2

It's been a while, but last I checked it was a pain in the ass to export such lists from twitter.  I think you could get your personal data (what you posted), but I'm not sure about the follower lists.

Yep, and they fear META investing in solving that problem via scraping. The demand for it is at an all time high, for sure

45c5fb7b99ad31ed4ad25e221dd9c61a.jpg
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, HonkeyVape said:

I feel bad for the Mastadon people-- they had the right idea at the right time, just the wrong product.

BlueSky and Post.news are the big sufferers, along with a few others.  Bluesky is a confusing one, because they act like a startup that either didn't have the money to scale-up rapidly, or they are just stumbling around, which is odd given that Jack Dorsey is behind it, and therefore has the money/know-how.

And the truth of it all is, at the end of the day, Twitter needed to be acquired by a Meta/Google/etc. for it to work. The financials and business of Twitter was bad. The earnings per share, the stock price, all suggested an inefficient business model.

You assume the people running it weren't thinking about profitability - they could have slimmed down expenses years ago (without fucking up the infrastructure spectacularly like Elon did), but the money backing them was patient and willing to let them play a long game of getting to wherever Dorsey planned on it getting to.

This was one problem with Elon - he came in and panicked.  Maybe not even the worst problem, but it was a problem that he freaked that it was coming out of his pockets and he has never had to manage a business like this where he does not control the product (again, he never realized that the users were the product), nor manage a business that had to rely on advertising. He may have a long-game in mind with SpaceX, but he obviously doesn't with Tesla or Twitter.

Elon thought he could come in and see it to it's full potential. Obviously took the L on that almost immediately.

Or maybe he wanted to read somebody's DMs.  Or maybe he talked to some people and let himself be influenced and got it in his head that twitter was broken and he could fix it and he made a staggeringly stupid offer that the twitter folks couldn't turn down, an offer that he may not have been serious about (since he did want out of it at one point).

Edit: Musk also thought the problem is that white supremacist shits weren't being heard.  He literally bitched about them being banned from twitter. There's a reason why they were banned. They were toxic to the community and to advertisers (you know, the customers).

Meta can roll out something like Twitter, in Threads, and not have to worry about it being profitable or break-even in the near term.

But once they start monetizing it, the devil you know in Facebook will be back, and once the shines wear off we will be back to "Threads is intrusive, and sketchy with my personal data, I don't trust them, making money unethically, etc."

There's still a reason why FB and Instagram count their users in the billions while twitter counts theirs in the hundreds of millions.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

I feel bad for the Mastadon people-- they had the right idea at the right time, just the wrong product.

If Threads connects to the fediverse it could actually help Mastadon. Being untethered to a specific provider is the way. It’s highly ironic that it takes Meta to help it scale into viability
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I thought patents were for the weak, Elmo?

#1 They’re saber rattling about trade secrets, not patents. Trade secrets are a lot squishier and potentially more powerful.

#2 Quinn Emmanuel sucks. I’ve had a lot of fun kicking those chumps’ asses. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

i think when mastodon launched there were tools that would match your follow list from twitter to their mastodon accounts. but I recall they locked that down pretty quick. that's just a recollection though

i suspect most people will fall into the category of either

1. having a similar enough insta follow list that the algorithm connects them to a similar list fairly quick
  2. their insta persona/follow list is different enough from their twitter persona/follow list that they will need to feed it for a while before they begin to "discover" their crowd from Twitter.

That's a little bit of a pain, but not that big of a pain, and I think that meta has the ability to make that pretty easy just by what gets put into your feed. You'll lose track of some accounts but that's the nature of things and it's good to have a semi-clean slate every now and then.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

or they are just stumbling around, which is odd given that Jack Dorsey is behind it, and therefore has the money/know-how.

i don't know much about Jack Dorsey but if people near him said "stumbling around and not really executing very much is exactly his style" that wouldn't surprise me greatly

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Lurch said:

If Threads connects to the fediverse it could actually help Mastadon. Being untethered to a specific provider is the way. It’s highly ironic that it takes Meta to help it scale into viability

Yeah, it's a shame that Bluesky didn't sign on, but a friend is working on a bridge (and there are others) so who knows how that will shake out. I'm assuming that Threads will tie into the Microblogging chunk with mastodon and the others.

623px-A_view_into_the_Fediverse.png

6 minutes ago, Lurch said:

my it nerd friends on discord are talking about... ActivityPub and Open Federation (which I could almost pretend to understand), and Pleroma and Misskey, and how this may solve the problem of "normies don't understand the Fediverse". So, it all sounds very exciting.

6 minutes ago, Celery Man said:
12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

i don't know much about Jack Dorsey but if people near him said "stumbling around and not really executing very much is exactly his style" that wouldn't surprise me greatly

Sounds like you know exactly about Jack Dorsey

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, it's a shame that Bluesky didn't sign on, but a friend is working on a bridge (and there are others) so who knows how that will shake out. I'm assuming that Threads will tie into the Microblogging chunk with mastodon and the others.

623px-A_view_into_the_Fediverse.png

Thanks. I had to google Fediverse.

• Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The internet rooting for Mark Fucking Zuckerberg has to be the biggest plot twist of 2023 so far. 

Putin's personal mercenary company threatening to arrest his Minister of Defense and the Army Chief of Staff, and then marching on Moscow.

The Titanic adding to its body count.

...and with Elon rehabilitating Zuckerberg, well all three of these things have happened within the last month.

Can't wait to see what August has in store for us.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

There's a lost opportunity to call this thread the "I'm on Meta's Threads Meta Thread."

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I thought I read somewhere that the plan for Threads was to make it work with Mastadon, whatever that means. I recall looking into Mastadon and the sign up method was kinda confusing. 

That's the issue. You shouldn't have to know basic computer networking skills just to sign up.

And Meta's obvious advantage here is that this is an extension of their billion-member Instagram service.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The internet rooting for Mark Fucking Zuckerberg has to be the biggest plot twist of 2023 so far. 

Next thing you know we’ll all be cheering on Bob Stoops for something that doesn’t involve eating mass quantities of dicks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I thought I read somewhere that the plan for Threads was to make it work with Mastadon, whatever that means. I recall looking into Mastadon and the sign up method was kinda confusing. 

As with email, where we can all be on different providers and still communicate together, Threads integrating into the fediverse (where Mastadon already is) would allow them to work together. I could post on Mastadon and you could follow my Mastadon account on Threads and see that post.

It’s the way this should have worked all along, but is not intuitive enough for general consumers at low scale. With someone like Meta pushing it forward it will finally be more easily embraced
  • Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There's still a reason why FB and Instagram count their users in the billions while twitter counts theirs in the hundreds of millions. 

the size difference is not some new development. the trajectories of these established entities had not materially changed, because they each settled into their niches:

twitter flatlined for years as the news hub; snapchat as youth direct messaging. facebook decelerated as default online presence. tiktok came in and established a new niche in shortform video. 

these guys didnt displace one-another because, as seen with the bluesky and g+ and such, thats a much more difficult thing to do. 

threads shows good metrics at its start because it made it easy to roll instagram accounts over. but “instagram people” are largely not “twitter people”, eg journalists, academics, chronically-online debaters, etc.

so if the conversations dont involve the same people covering same topics i.e. use-case overlap, its not a matter of twitter vs threads. threads might just be instagram-with-nested-replies. 

many of the rabid doomsday diviners calling twitters death from 1 year ago, on that same platform, are still on it now. 

45 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

#1 They’re saber rattling about trade secrets, not patents. Trade secrets are a lot squishier and potentially more powerful.

#2 Quinn Emmanuel sucks. I’ve had a lot of fun kicking those chumps’ asses. 

I have a hard time understanding what they contend the "secret" is though.

If it's something that happens under the hood, how would Twitter know that Meta is using it? And if they don't know how Threads works then they would be filling a frivolous lawsuit.

On the flipside, if it's not something that happens under the hood then how can it be secret? Isn't Threads just a better version of Truth Social?

I have a hard time understanding what they contend the "secret" is though.
If it's something that happens under the hood, how would Twitter know that Meta is using it? And if they don't know how Threads works then they would be filling a frivolous lawsuit.
On the flipside, if it's not something that happens under the hood then how can it be secret? Isn't Threads just a better version of Truth Social?

It’s just teeing up discovery

I’d guess the IP they are concerned about is algorithms and scaling,the two obvious places other competitors struggled

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

the size difference is not some new development. the trajectories of these established entities had not materially changed, because they each settled into their niches:

twitter flatlined for years as the news hub; snapchat as youth direct messaging. facebook decelerated as default online presence. tiktok came in and established a new niche in shortform video. 

these guys didnt displace one-another because, as seen with the bluesky and g+ and such, thats a much more difficult thing to do. 

threads shows good metrics at its start because it made it easy to roll instagram accounts over. but “instagram people” are largely not “twitter people”, eg journalists, academics, chronically-online debaters, etc.

so if the conversations dont involve the same people covering same topics i.e. use-case overlap, its not a matter of twitter vs threads. threads might just be instagram-with-nested-replies. 

many of the rabid doomsday diviners calling twitters death from 1 year ago, on that same platform, are still on it now. 

Counterpoint:  Elon has pissed off A LOT of people in the past year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Lurch said:

It’s just teeing up discovery

I’d guess the IP they are concerned about is algorithms and scaling,the two obvious places other competitors struggled

That's like Tesla complaining about Ford stealing the idea of having a bunch of car dealerships nationwide.

• Like 1

That's like Tesla complaining about Ford stealing the idea of having a bunch of car dealerships nationwide.

Totally, but discovery can be a bitch even if the initial claim is spurious. All it takes is one of those former Twitter employees with a poorly worded or even sarcastic/joke internal email saying “we did it like this over at Twitter” for everything to go sideways

Just now, Lurch said:

Totally, but discovery can be a bitch even if the initial claim is spurious. All it takes is one of those former Twitter employees with a poorly worded or even sarcastic/joke internal email saying “we did it like this over at Twitter” for everything to go sideways

Meta is more than capable of handling the hassle, but sooner or later (usually sooner) Twitter is going to have to explain what they think was secret and stolen. It's gonna be a nothingburger and hopefully Elon pays dearly for wasting everyone's time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

those were his estimates. if i recall, he 'guaranteed' it was a number in that 2-85 range. it was awesome.

sweet jesus. so it's 2? I mean no big deal but that's easy to read.  12-16 ok who knows. 2-more than wilt chamberlain and magic johnson combined?  ok that's 2.