"I’m on Threads" meta thread

'stache

16 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Just for fun, out of 10,000 posts across years of history, the first search result you found was from 9 months, where someone happened to be posting "right next to [me]", on a public board.  Not me quoting him, praising him, but posting on the same topic about Christian Theo---wait, no, about the most prominent tech figure in the world.

Nice smoking gun you found there, short bus Sherlock. 

Have you posted on other threads as me?  Do you think I know-- or *care* to know-- who you are as person?

Nice attempt at association fallacy. You think everyone should be posting for approval or seek an audience -- thats uh cool I guess.  Says a lot about you.

Lol. It was pretty easy. I searched for “Christian” by the author, clicked on the one where he claims himself to be a Christian Nationalist, and poof, there you were right next to him. As an illustration of your general awareness, regardless of the thread topic, it’s about as spot on as it gets. Particularly when you initially implied you’d have no idea of his views because you don’t post in the cloak room. Good thing his views came right next to yours on a thread where you were active!

Listen, I’m glad you don’t care about an audience and post for yourself. But to keep hammering the point home, it just so happens your posts are beloved by shitheels. I…believe that says a lot about you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. It was pretty easy. I searched for “Christian” by the author, clicked on the one where he claims himself to be a Christian Nationalist, and poof, there you were right next to him. As an illustration of your general awareness, regardless of the thread topic, it’s about as spot on as it gets. Particularly when you initially implied you’d have no idea of his views because you don’t post in the cloak room. Good thing his views came right next to yours on a thread where you were active!

Listen, I’m glad you don’t care about an audience and post for yourself. But to keep hammering the point home, it just so happens your posts are beloved by shitheels. I…believe that says a lot about you. 

Mentally healthy people: "you know what i need in my life, for my anonymous posts on a sports website to resonate with the *right* kind of people who are obsessed about politics".

Godspeed with your fulfillment journey buddy.

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

Mentally healthy people: "you know what i need in my life, for my anonymous posts on a sports website to resonate with the *right* kind of people who are obsessed about politics".

Godspeed with your fulfillment journey buddy.

The pretzels you’re twisting yourself into to deflect from a simple observation are amazing. Why are you doing that, don’t you like acknowledging fascists share your views? Godspeed indeed. 

image.gif.da9ec6892b9f5da02c595481239b5faa.gif

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

There’s something happening here.

Good song. But don’t worry, pretty sure all the fuss is over. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The pretzels you’re twisting yourself into to deflect from a simple observation are amazing. Why are you doing that, don’t you like acknowledging fascists share your views? Godspeed indeed. 

I, as an adjacent white christian nationalist fascist, just clicked like on your post.  I hope your ego holds up under this terrible duress.

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

Wait, Surly is a sports website?

they even talk about bicycle racing there, would you believe

Edited by 52-80

38 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I, as an adjacent white christian nationalist fascist, just clicked like on your post.  I hope your ego holds up under this terrible duress.

they even talk about bicycle racing there, would you believe

Considering the post you liked was me literally calling you a fucking clown, I think I'll manage. Great choice!

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

52-80 sitting here with almost 15,000 posts trying to pretend like he doesn't know that getting rep from Macklemore and Animal Nicotine means you just posted something pretty fucking ignorant and stupid. Holy shit, that's adorable.

It's going to blow his mind when he realizes that shadow operative is Derka and Helibious tends to be wrong about things.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Considering the post you liked was me literally calling you a fucking clown, I think I'll manage. Great choice!

Grown Men Stop Caring About Internet Rep Challenge (impossible)

10 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Oblivious idiot pretends he doesnt give a shit about rep , wherein previous post he indicts someone else for.... getting reps from the wrong folks.

More news update at 8.

Actually, the guy who said he doesn't give a shit about rep never mentioned rep, he cited post count, not rep. But you calling someone else oblivious when you've cited not knowing who posters are on this website as a defense of your popularity with pieces of shit is...a choice. A really funny one. 

I don't give a shit about rep, but maybe it's like money, I don't give a shit because I've got it. But yes, I do care about my posts not being celebrated by pieces of shit christo-fascists. But of course, you already knew none of this was about rep. Deflect, deflect, deflect...

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

Oblivious man pretends he doesnt care about rep , wherein previous post he indicts someone else for.... getting reps from someone else.

More news update at 8.

Yeah, dude, you suck at this. Giving a shit about how big the green number is next to people's names isn't the same thing as realizing that, when you do get rep from a select few posters, it sure as shit isn't because you said someone intelligent or insightful. I "care about rep" insofar as, if I see that Vic Mackey and immortal like something that I said, I probably just posted something really fucking dumb.

Troll harder.

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Actually, the guy who said he doesn't give a shit about rep never mentioned rep, he cited post count, not rep.

"I don't give a shit about rep..."

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, dude, you suck at this. Giving a shit about how big the green number is next to people's names isn't the same thing as realizing that, when you do get rep from a select few posters, it sure as shit isn't because you said someone intelligent or insightful. I "care about rep" insofar as, if I see that Vic Mackey and immortal like something that I said, I probably just posted something really fucking dumb.

Troll harder.

"I don't give a shit a shit about rep but here's why it's bad that you got them".  Incredible. 

Can they send someone in a bit brighter than you two?

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

"I don't give a shit about rep..."

"I don't give a shit a shit about rep but here's why it's bad that you got them".  Incredible. 

Can they send someone in a bit brighter than you two?

He was literally responding to your faulty accusation, dumb shit. This isn't how conversation works, particularly in a text based medium where everyone can see transcripts:
"That guy likes talking about dog shit."
"I do not like talking about dog shit, and have never said any such thing."
"See, he's talking about dog shit!!"

This is the basically how your weak gotcha efforts have gone this entire thread, but please keep spiking yourself in the balls. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He was literally responding to your faulty accusation, dumb shit. This isn't how conversation works, particularly in a text based medium where everyone can see transcripts:
"That guy likes talking about dog shit."
"I do not like talking about dog shit, and have never said any such thing."
"See, he's talking about dog shit!!"

This is the basically how your weak gotcha efforts have gone this entire thread, but clease keep spiking yourself in the balls. 

Can you ask your friends to like your posts so it'll seem like you actually have a point?

• Hook 'Em 1

Me: The Bachelor is an American television program in which a bunch of women vie for the attention of one man in exotic locations. I know this because I've watched television in the past 20 years, have eyes and ears, and better object permanence than my one-year old.

52-80: You care about the Bachelor! What a loser! I'm a great, big smart person.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

Wait, Surly is a sports website?

Even more than that it’s basically a football and recruiting website for just one school. 

pre COVID there was definitely a more vibrant variety, pre 2016 it was one of the premier news aggregators for Texans. Certain things happened that got people to go elsewhere or get flamed off the board. 

The plan is definitely to cultivate the variety poster again, but it really hinges on Texas being good and then people seeing the rest of the board for what it is. That was the recipe for ShaggyBevo, unfortunately we lost a lot of the variety in 2018 in the move and it was already trending that way with the toxic rhetoric that was happening in the “news” blaming people for things that involved government instead of just news. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Even more than that it’s basically a football and recruiting website for just one school. 

pre COVID there was definitely a more vibrant variety, pre 2016 it was one of the premier news aggregators for Texans. Certain things happened that got people to go elsewhere or get flamed off the board. 

The plan is definitely to cultivate the variety poster again, but it really hinges on Texas being good and then people seeing the rest of the board for what it is. That was the recipe for ShaggyBevo, unfortunately we lost a lot of the variety in 2018 in the move and it was already trending that way with the toxic rhetoric that was happening in the “news” blaming people for things that involved government instead of just news. 

We also haven't had any cartoon dicks posted in quite a while 

55 minutes ago, immamac said:

GIVE THUJONE HIS MONEY

actually I'm curious if you have any insight or thoughts about the changes in Surly's dynamic over the past few years in comparison to similar sites. Are TigerDroppings, Texags, etc going through the same things? 

My general feeling is that certainly there have been huge shifts (increased polarization) in America broadly but with boards like this it's also a demographic shift mostly centered around younger people not posting on sites like this. But maybe you're aware of other sites where that is not the case. It would be great to figure out how to grow with that demo regardless of the trend - I don't think reddit or tiktok or threads can really replace what something like Shaggy/Surly can be.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, immamac said:

There's a lot of very serious people in this thread.

35 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

GIVE THUJONE HIS MONEY

actually I'm curious if you have any insight or thoughts about the changes in Surly's dynamic over the past few years in comparison to similar sites. Are TigerDroppings, Texags, etc going through the same things? 

My general feeling is that certainly there have been huge shifts (increased polarization) in America broadly but with boards like this it's also a demographic shift mostly centered around younger people not posting on sites like this. But maybe you're aware of other sites where that is not the case. It would be great to figure out how to grow with that demo regardless of the trend - I don't think reddit or tiktok or threads can really replace what something like Shaggy/Surly can be.

A TikTok of pedobear at the bowl game would have gotten a shit ton of views

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

GIVE THUJONE HIS MONEY

The intellectual honesty on those other sites is asymmetric from this site. There is no way to pivot away from the core of Texas Football to being a core general place to be surly. 

We really want "like minded" folks who actually care/like/watch sports, but also have functioning brains, are clever, witty and have thick enough skin to talk shit on the internet while not being actually toxic/detrimental to society. One of the things that has been decaying is 18-25 signups and participation. It's a real issue for the long term health of the site and the "echo chamberness" that comes from a not attached to college demographic brings. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

The intellectual honesty on those other sites is asymmetric from this site. There is no way to pivot away from the core of Texas Football to being a core general place to be surly. 

We really want "like minded" folks who actually care/like/watch sports, but also have functioning brains, are clever, witty and have thick enough skin to talk shit on the internet while not being actually toxic/detrimental to society. One of the things that has been decaying is 18-25 signups and participation. It's a real issue for the long term health of the site and the "echo chamberness" that comes from a not attached to college demographic brings. 

I have a theory that 18-25 are actually less tech-savvy than 25-45 because they grew up with Web 2.0 and are accustomed to having information spoonfed to them and are quick to give up on and abandon online pursuits that aren't easy. It's why fediverse will never, ever succeed. Where do old-school messageboards fall on this spectrum? I suppose that depends on a board by board basis and its usability and ease of signing up.

For them the idea of talking somewhere that isn't a big platform with a broad audience (like reddit or one of the socials) but instead is dedicated to a certain interest like a subreddit but without all the other subreddits AND having to create and remember a separate set of login credentials just for that platform? That might be too much to ask.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, immamac said:

Alright, so putting on my serious hat for a minute, what proportion of posts on this site actually are football. I saw something the other day where it was almost even with the CR, which would make it a plurality of post for the site at best.

I haven't posted in football in eons, mostly because I don't really even watch it anymore. I would guess I post mostly in Music, Other Sports, then a bit in Hobbies, DT and CR in no particular order. But I'm sure you could look it up.

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I read this as imma saying we’re going to have to stop being so worldly and clever, and start being (gasp) nicer on here to attract 18-25 year olds who are stupid and lame.  And I think I speak for all of us when I say, if they’re 18-25 year old women we will oblige.

Actually it's that 18-25 year olds have no way to find out about surly through the channels of media they consume. They way to get them in isn't even twitter, it's Instagram/Threads/TikTok and out of those 3 Surly at it's core only really jibes with Threads. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, immamac said:

We really want "like minded" folks who actually care/like/watch sports, but also have functioning brains, are clever, witty and have thick enough skin to talk shit on the internet while not being actually toxic/detrimental to society.

rupaul-i-dont-belong-here.gif

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I believe folks with an IQ above room temperature get my point just fine. Which is the "right" audience I'm shooting for, to paraphrase you. So I'm good. 

You spent 3 pages reacting very angrily to how i dont profile every person who happen to post on the internet thread, and whether i pay attention to who hits Like on my post.

Have you considered seeking professional help?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

How you do know that he posts that way about you?  Did you memorize his screenname and track his posts like some weird obsessed stalker?  Why do you even notice him?  It’s sad that your participation on this board is all about seeking external approval and reading other people’s comments about you.  Be less insecure.

because he tags me, and literally replies to *my* thread.

which part of this quote did you find confusing:

and reply in my threads

5 hours ago, immamac said:

And I think there is something to the fact that UT sports had some rough times, and that definitely made/makes a lot of people irritable and prone to arguing over other stupid shit to take their mind off of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Engagement on Instagram's Threads Has Cratered

Shortly after Meta’s new Twitter clone Threads hits 100 million users, analysts say that the app’s user engagement has precipitously dropped off.

NBC News reports that data from Sensor Tower and Similarweb indicates that the newly released social media platform from Meta has seen a drop off in attention from users. Sensor Tower Data suggests that on Tuesday and Wednesday, daily active users dropped 20% from Saturday while time spent on the platform fell 50% from 20 minutes to 10 minutes. Similarweb’s data reportedly paints a picture equally as grim as daily active users dropped 25% from a peak on July 7 to Monday, while time spent on the app dropped over 50% from 20 minutes to 8 minutes.

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Surly is better than 95%-99% of college sports forums out there, but you might not want to spend a weekend in Vegas with us or ask us to pick up your college-aged daughter from the airport.

But put our questionable morals aside and dive deeper into TexAgs/TD, and you'll see problems that Surly doesn't have, and arguably can't have by the nature of Surly, and so in a way I don't think you can compare them. Plus, there's a mentality issue.

In the case of TexAgs, at times they are deep-throating aggy leadership/management - you'll see plenty of threads locked or deleted if you say something that could upset somebody collecting a paycheck from tamu, even though those people are most likely not cruising sports forums looking for shit to be pissed off.  Meanwhile, Surly would contribute to an airplane banner in a heartbeat if we thought it'd boost our chances of getting rid of a coach or assistant coach we didn't like.

And they have problems that twitter, Facebook, Threads, reddit, and most social media platforms in general also have - some acknowledge the problems and try to tamp it down (while some idiots cry that their "free speech" is being oppressed).  You also get into issues that are....if you were a random youth, say a minority, and you pop into certain threads on other forums. you could come away with a quickly-formed opinion that they don't want your kind there.  They may not explicitly say it, but the dog whistles will be there, or they'll come across as 75 year-old boomers who don't understand why certain groups are upset when they say something that they've been saying for 50 years.

And my favorite example with Tiger Droppings and TexAgs, and this is a problem with social media, is that they were encouraging the Qanon crowd - if you're not familiar with them, it's a batshit conspiracy group that believes everything from Tom Hanks and Oprah Winfrey are drinking the fluids of children to stay young to Biden and Trump swapped faces and Trump is running the country to 9/11 was an inside job, to the moon landings were faked. There's also some incredibly racist assholes in the Qanon crowd as well.  You won't find a single Qanon True Believer who isn't mentally ill (the ones moving within those circles who aren't are the grifters making money off of Qanon). Most mainstream social media platforms tended to moderate this stuff (Facebook, pre-Musk Twitter, etc.) but TD and TexAgs were allowing Qanon threads to go unchecked, and the mods/admins were even protecting the threads. I know they claimed it was "free speech" but what it was, was website traffic = eyeballs = advertising.

TexAgs eventually shut the Qanon stuff mostly down, and the public story was that it was driving advertisers away (just as happens with twitter) because of course advertisers don't want their stuff running alongside the rants of the mentally ill and racists rambling about Bush and Cheney did 9/11 or Oprah Winfrey drains the fluids of babies to stay young, etc.

But I also recall a lot of people on social media, some in Texas, maybe some who read Surly, and plenty in other SEC states, that were happily tweeting those TexAgs threads out at potential aggy recruits, saying "hey guys, here's the largest aggy sports forum, that's got a relationship with the aggy athletic department, and look at this batshit or racist shit they are allowing on their forums."

Sure, Surly gets stupid shit posted on here, but if somebody busted out a Qanon thread, we'd fill it with memes and mock the shit out of them (or offer to help them find mental help) and/or crowd-source anybody believing it.  I'd like to think it was because maybe Surly draws a more educated crowd, or at least a crowd with some common sense/critical-thinking skills. We damned sure aren't pandering to the idiots.

• Hook 'Em 3

re: Surly growth/place in the Social Media Foodchain

Was reading an interesting article on Threads and saw this graphic and thought it relevant about where Forums/BBS like ours fit in the social media ecosystem and how

The starting position of social media companies in the 2023 Social/Communications Map

"This is where the bit above about historical time comes in: another way to look at this map is as a representation of how content on the Internet has evolved; the early web, and early forms of user-generated content like forums and blogs, were and are still located in the upper left. This quadrant is fairly decentralized, and is Aggregated by Google and search.

The lower left quadrant came next: one site held all of the content from your network, and presented it chronologically. Some sites, like Twitter and Instagram, stayed here for years; Facebook, though, quickly jumped ahead to the lower right quadrant, and organized your feed chronologically. This quadrant became the other major pillar of Internet advertising (along with search): figuring out what content to show you from your network wasn’t too dissimilar of a problem from figuring out what ads to show you, and the nature of a dynamically-generated feed that was unique to every individual was something that was only possible with digital media.

The final stage is, as noted, represented by TikTok: once again your network doesn’t matter, because the content comes from anywhere. This world, though, unlike the open web, is governed by the algorithm, not time or search."

How services have expanded on the map over time

"Twitter, Threads, and the Upper-Right

I was honestly surprised to find out that both Twitter and Instagram were in the lower left quadrant until 2016; that is when both services started offering an algorithmic timeline. Of course the surprise for the two services ran in the opposite direction: for Twitter it’s amazing that the company managed to change anything at all, and for Instagram it’s a surprise the service stayed the same for so long. Since then Instagram has heavily invested in its direct messaging product even as it has slowly abandoned the public parts of the lower left: everything is an algorithm and, with Reels, completely disconnected from your network."

Many of those knots are tied to that lower left quadrant: a predominantly time-based feed makes sense if a service is predominantly about “What is happening?”, to use Twitter’s long-time prompt; a graph based on who you choose to follow doesn’t just show what you want to see, it also controls what you don’t (Wei notes that this is a particularly hard problem for algorithmically generated feeds). Both qualities seem particularly pertinent for a medium (text) that is information dense and favored by people interested in harvesting information, a very different goal than looking to pass the time with an entertaining video or ten.

It follows, then, that Twitter’s best defense against Threads may be to retreat to that lower left corner: focus on what is happening now, from people you chose to follow. The problem, though, is that while this might win the battle against Threads, it means that Musk will have lost the war when it comes to ever making a return on his $44 billion. In truth, though, that war is already lost: Musk’s lurch for the upper right was probably the best path to reigniting user growth, but if that is the corner that matters then Threads will win.

Edited by Longhornsnus
  • Hook 'Em 2

Update being rolled out

👥 follows tab on activity feed
- 🔔 subscribe to unfollowed users
- ❤️ activity feed scrolling + loading improvements
- 👀 following + on thread replies page
- 👆 tappable reposter labels
- 📸 open the IG followers list
- 🔧 a few small crash fixes. we're now at 0.02%📉
- 🔪 more binary size cuts
- 🐞 a handful of other small bugs

in English

Updates include a tab for seeing who follows you so you can follow them back, an option to subscribe to unfollowed users, improvements to activity feed loading times, and translation option to translate posts that are in a different language.

• Hook 'Em 2