Hunting ‘23/‘24: Bag ‘em and Tag ‘em

A friend hunting in Alabama sent me this from his hunt yesterday PM.  At first he couldn't figure out what it was... he was thinking a goat... until it got close enough.

IMG_3190.thumb.jpg.509f2a115526f063e434610663f1ef6d.jpg

Piebald deer, four point.  I've neither seen one in the wild nor known anyone who has.  Pretty cool.  Buddy let it pass and took a nice 8 point later in the hunt.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hornmpa96 said:

Attempting for the 14th time this season to find an 8 year old 12 pointer on the ranch. In early November, we set up a pop-up on some trails out of his home area. No dice. He normally will start showing up for corn in early December. I start getting pictures of him in one of his normal spots and get an opportunity to hunt him. Head out there and receive a picture from a friend at another blind with a picture of him.

Eventually I will get lucky. In the meantime, I’ve been able to find this youngster several times this week.

IMG_4600.thumb.jpeg.6ad195c12af22ab4658ef973a077de67.jpegIMG_4599.thumb.jpeg.77f638f307eb163ffd0152c33980bae8.jpeg

Hopefully my wife isn’t too upset when I spend every January weekend at the ranch trying to find this buck.

Here is the buck I’m hunting.

That’s a nice fatboy you’re looking for.  

Good luck.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hornmpa96 said:

Attempting for the 14th time this season to find an 8 year old 12 pointer on the ranch. In early November, we set up a pop-up on some trails out of his home area. No dice. He normally will start showing up for corn in early December. I start getting pictures of him in one of his normal spots and get an opportunity to hunt him. Head out there and receive a picture from a friend at another blind with a picture of him.

Eventually I will get lucky. In the meantime, I’ve been able to find this youngster several times this week.

IMG_4600.thumb.jpeg.6ad195c12af22ab4658ef973a077de67.jpegIMG_4599.thumb.jpeg.77f638f307eb163ffd0152c33980bae8.jpeg

Hopefully my wife isn’t too upset when I spend every January weekend at the ranch trying to find this buck.

Here is the buck I’m hunting.

IMG_3397.mov 30.54 MB · 0 downloads  

Looks like you have the young fella' mainlining the evil yellow stuff.  Corn kills!

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Me screaming as the Game Wardens drag me away in cuffs after harvesting tons of monkey meat:

"GODDAMMIT THERE AINT NO SEASON ON MONKEYS!! SHOW ME THE MONKEY SEASON ON THE GOT-DAMN OUTDOOR ANNUAL APP YOU FUCKERS!"

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Me screaming as the Game Wardens drag me away in cuffs after harvesting tons of monkey meat:

"GODDAMMIT THERE AINT NO SEASON ON MONKEYS!! SHOW ME THE MONKEY SEASON ON THE GOT-DAMN OUTDOOR ANNUAL APP YOU FUCKERS!"

GD that's funny right there.

• Hook 'Em 1

PSA:  Dallas Safari Club’s 2024 Convention is next weekend.

IMG_1599.thumb.png.a2a7ea2f97044cb86fcc6f71c461a73e.png

If you haven’t been, it’s the most impressive outdoors show I’ve ever been to.  If you can hunt it or fish it, you can make it happen there.  Absolutely worth a couple of days.  Plus, the talent in attendance is outstanding - 10s themselves hunt for alpha males.

Of note:  according to exhibitors, this will be the last DSC in Dallas for the next 5 years.  Due to convention center renovations, DSC will be in Atlanta 2025-2029, so now is the time to go if you are in Texas,

Edited by solamente73
  • Like 2

PSA:  Dallas Safari Club’s 2024 Convention is next weekend.
IMG_1599.thumb.png.a2a7ea2f97044cb86fcc6f71c461a73e.png
If you haven’t been, it’s the most impressive outdoors show I’ve ever been to.  If you can hunt it or fish it, you can make it happen there.  Absolutely worth a couple of days.  Plus, the talent in attendance is outstanding - 10s themselves hunt for alpha males.
Of note:  according to exhibitors, this will be the last DSC in Dallas for the next 5 years.  Due to convention center renovations, DSC will be in Atlanta 2025-2029, so now is the time to go if you are in Texas,

I’m going next Saturday. I’m booking a private land elk hunt for 2025, and considering a nilgai hunt for this year or ‘25. I’m also considering a new rifle build, and am going to look at the new gear/rifle builders there. I’m really interested in this action:

https://americanrifle.odoo.com/shop/coup-de-grace-bolt-action-1747?category=5#attr=492,494,499,519,512,522,514,516

Controlled Round Feed (which I like) with only 70 degree bolt lift (I like 60-70 degree lift; 90 is a no-go for me), really innovative extraction geometry, integrated rail and lug, looks very smooth as well. Masterpiece Arms uses them and I may use them for the build or maybe WTO or LRI or APR if they are interested. Thinking maybe 7PRC. I bought a new titanium suppressor thats only 8oz, wanting to run it on a new elk rifle setup. AB Raptor 8:

https://www.absuppressor.com/raptor

WTO has a quick change barrel swap lug (as others have made) I could use and maybe have an elk caliber barrel and a target/deer caliber barrel I can swap. Need to work through the fine points of caliber selection/bolt face diameters, may need to have a separate bolt head as well.

Had a great dove hunt in Knippa last week, limited out in about 30 minutes and got to watch my elk hunting buddy’s labrador pup on some good long retrieves, and I have a dove hunt in Hondo next week.

My buddy’s uncle is trying to put an Africa group trip together, but focused on plains game, and I really would like to target a Buffalo if I go back.

I also got a line on an interesting helicopter hog hunt and am putting a group together for that and assembling a new 300BLK setup for the task.

Lots going on.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, 686 said:

I’m going next Saturday. I’m booking a private land elk hunt for 2025, and considering a nilgai hunt for this year or ‘25. I’m also considering a new rifle build, and am going to look at the new gear/rifle builders there. I’m really interested in this action:

https://americanrifle.odoo.com/shop/coup-de-grace-bolt-action-1747?category=5#attr=492,494,499,519,512,522,514,516

Controlled Round Feed (which I like) with only 70 degree bolt lift (I like 60-70 degree lift; 90 is a no-go for me), really innovative extraction geometry, integrated rail and lug, looks very smooth as well. Masterpiece Arms uses them and I may use them for the build or maybe WTO or LRI or APR if they are interested. Thinking maybe 7PRC. I bought a new titanium suppressor thats only 8oz, wanting to run it on a new elk rifle setup. AB Raptor 8:

WTO has a quick change barrel swap lug (as others have made) I could use and maybe have an elk caliber barrel and a target/deer caliber barrel I can swap. Need to work through the fine points of caliber selection/bolt face diameters, may need to have a separate bolt head as well.

Had a great dove hunt in Knippa last week, limited out in about 30 minutes and got to watch my elk hunting buddy’s labrador pup on some good long retrieves, and I have a dove hunt in Hondo next week.

My buddy’s uncle is trying to put an Africa group trip together, but focused on plains game, and I really would like to target a Buffalo if I go back.

I also got a line on an interesting helicopter hog hunt and am putting a group together for that and assembling a new 300BLK setup for the task.

Lots going on.

Oh yeah, well I shot a smaller eight point this evening with my son and dragged it through the mud to the truck. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Seriously that all sounds next level. 

My job has been really stressful the last year, but I’m making a lot more money than I did a few years ago. I have worked really hard over my career, we don’t have any debt, and have saved/invested pretty well. Also, I turned 45 last year, and the mountains are getting steeper, packs are getting heavier, recoil is getting harder, and my eyes are getting worse. My left calf and Achilles tendon hasn’t been the same since we packed out my elk and my buddy’s mule deer buck in November.

I’m at the “F it let’s do this” stage of my hunting career, before I can’t really do it anymore.

Future years trips I want to make:
-Alaska caribou
-maybe Alaska moose
-public land mule deer buck in high demand limited entry unit
-public land bull elk in high demand limited entry unit
-Shiraz moose in the lower 48 if I ever draw a tag
-bighorn sheep if I ever draw a tag
-New Zealand for Red Stag, etc.
-back to Africa (RSA or Namibia probably) for Buffalo and maybe kudu and some minor plains game
-Argentina for wing shooting and to hang out for awhile.
-maybe Eastern Europe for boar, stag and to hang out for awhile
-South Dakota area for pheasants

I figure I better start working on that list or most of it won’t get done before I can’t do it.
  • Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, 686 said:

Lots going on.

Never gets old

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 686 said:

My left calf and Achilles tendon hasn’t been the same since we packed out my elk and my buddy’s mule deer buck in November.

I had something similar.  Tell you what, F all those psychotic cold plunge advocates, but I can say throw on a pair of shorts every morning, grab a cup of coffee, and stand knee-deep in the pool for five minutes.  Anything under 52 degrees is fine.  Really helped me with the inflammation.  

I did try the whole immersion once.  Lasted three minutes.  Wife said "figures"......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@686 Damn, you do have a lot going on.  Love your "F It let's do this" list.  I'm hitting up South Africa this June.  I hope to do South Texas nilgai in 2024 or 2025, and Argentina for dove, durado, and red stag in 2025.  You reminded me that I also need to plan another elk trip, so I need to start looking at calendars.  I have a few years on you, so I whole-heartedly agree... get busy living, or get busy dying.

Speaking of RSA, I'm in need of a rifle for that trip.  I posted in the gun owners' thread here looking for some advice on a bolt action that could take on springbok, impala, red hartebeest, wildebeest, kudu... and hopefully also handle elk, red stag, and nilgai.  Any suggestions?  Thinking 300WM since ammo should be available in South Africa and Argentina.  I'm open to building if I have the time before I leave, so any insight you have there would be great.  I'm particularly intrigued by the WTO Stitchlug you mention.  How would that work with the action, switching between shorts and magnums?  I suppose with the optic, just get a dedicated turret for each caliber and you're set - multiple calibers on one platform. 

• Like 1

[mention=2146]686[/mention] Damn, you do have a lot going on.  Love your "F It let's do this" list.  I'm hitting up South Africa this June.  I hope to do South Texas nilgai in 2024 or 2025, and Argentina for dove, durado, and red stag in 2025.  You reminded me that I also need to plan another elk trip, so I need to start looking at calendars.  I have a few years on you, so I whole-heartedly agree... get busy living, or get busy dying.
Speaking of RSA, I'm in need of a rifle for that trip.  I posted in the gun owners' thread here looking for some advice on a bolt action that could take on springbok, impala, red hartebeest, wildebeest, kudu... and hopefully also handle elk, red stag, and nilgai.  Any suggestions?  Thinking 300WM since ammo should be available in South Africa and Argentina.  I'm open to building if I have the time before I leave, so any insight you have there would be great.  I'm particularly intrigued by the WTO Stitchlug you mention.  How would that work with the action, switching between shorts and magnums?  I suppose with the optic, just get a dedicated turret for each caliber and you're set - multiple calibers on one platform. 

If you still have your 300 Wby from your elk hunt, that would be great on all African plains game. ELD-X, TTSX, Accubond, or partitions would be good. You need to take ammo to Africa - don’t plan on it being available there. I believe you can take up to 200 rounds, I took about 60 with me. riflepermits.com is a great resource and you should probably plan on using them to get your gun through JNB. talk to your outfitter. Africahunting.com is an awesome resource for info as well. NOTE: the vitals of most African game is further forward than American game. If you shoot behind the shoulder, you may have a long tracking job. Shoot through the shoulder. africahunting.com has great diagrams of the vitals of all that plains game showing you points of aim. Practice shooting off of shooting sticks as they do a lot of that there.

If you’re flying into Johannesburg, I would recommend Delta 200 out of Atlanta. Flying in the day before to ATL is a good way to make sure your rifle and gear doesn’t get left stateside. Upgrading to Comfort Plus on the Delta 200 flight is totally worth it.

What outfitter are you going with and what area of the country?

Do you have a taxidermist that can receive African game (there is a dip and ship process and US receivers have to be registered with USDA I believe). The Dip and Ship people in RSA will want your taxidermist info so it’s good to have that setup before you go. I used Double Nickle in New Braunfels - the owner is a good guy. Here’s some of my stuff:

b98d5d788c280bdc85eef0e2ebe78822.jpg

I had a great time there and saw some beautiful country. The Professional Hunters are great people. The native trackers are amazing.

ab5bd1e10ccc58c7f85c3a8359b0f517.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

31 minutes ago, 686 said:

If you still have your 300 Wby from your elk hunt, that would be great on all African plains game.

Sounded like he wanted to get away from that rifle for this exercise, or better yet start a legacy with another if you will. My first thought was having a good synthetic stock and some light smithing done to that wby.  

22 hours ago, 686 said:

Lots going on.

Hondo!

1 minute ago, 686 said:

@solamente73 where are you looking at going for Nilgai? I was looking at the King Ranch (surprisingly affordable), and I also got a good recommendation on https://lomaschicasoutfitters.com/

The KR nilgai hunts are a good time.  Used to get an invite every other year for either a mgt, then next time a nilgai.  Such a cool hunt.  There are lots of good outfitters and the population is exploding all over the area now. We have several running around the ranch now. Place south of us right in town just took 90 of them (live) off of 600 ac…

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

The KR nilgai hunts are a good time.  Used to get an invite every other year for either a mgt, then next time a nilgai.  Such a cool hunt.  There are lots of good outfitters and the population is exploding all over the area now. We have several running around the ranch now. Place south of us right in town just took 90 of them (live) off of 600 ac…

Good to hear. 90 head on 600 ac is amazing

2 minutes ago, 686 said:

Good to hear. 90 head on 600 ac is amazing

Yep. No one had hunted it in forever, apparently.  One of the bulls broke its neck during the capture ops, and our mgr split it with another guy. Said the processing was still $1200. Oof. I made something like 35 dozen tamales and a bunch of sausage for about half that a few years ago.  If I ever have to leave the lease, I’m using the $$ for a nilgai hunt every other year or so.  Such a good hunt and so dang good to eat.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, 686 said:

My cousin’s husband owns Paloma Pachanga if your familiar with that area.

Awesome. Not familiar with it but I don’t live locally. Family place is a handful of miles due north of there. 

Sounded like he wanted to get away from that rifle for this exercise, or better yet start a legacy with another if you will. My first thought was having a good synthetic stock and some light smithing done to that wby.  

Ok I read gun thread and now I’m up to speed. [mention=1949]solamente73[/mention] you might consider a Tikka in 300 WM, but I’m afraid it might kick just as much as your Wby depending on the load. Per Chuck Hawks:

300 Win. Mag. (165 at 3110) 8.0 lb rifle 26.2 lbs recoil force 14.5 fps recoil velocity

300 Wby. Mag. (150 at 3400) 9.25lb rifle 24.6lbs recoil force 13.1 fps recoil velocity

.300 Wby. Mag. (180 at 3240) 9.0lb rifle 31.6 lbs recoil force 15 lbs recoil force

Dropping down to a 7 Rem mag helps, depending on the weight of the rifle.

7mm Rem. Mag. (160 at 2950) 9.0lb rifle 20.3 lbs recoil force 12.0 lbs recoil force

https://chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Or you could drop down to a non-magnum and keep the shots closer (less than ~400 yards and either broadside or quartering away) and be fine. Here’s an article from Chuck Hawks on the subject:

https://www.chuckhawks.com/rifles_index_animals.htm

A suppressor will help. I personally like the Tikka actions, but I don’t like their stocks. And most of their barrels aren’t threaded, and are short, and I don’t like the plastic parts, but Luckily now, there are lots of aftermarket quality stocks, barrels, bottom metal replacement, etc. for tikkas. Also they don’t make a short action, which is a bummer for deer / target calibers (you just have a bolt/magazine that’s ~5/8” longer than needed and filled with spacers.

Keep in mind, there are outfitter that “strongly suggest” a minimum caliber (including the outfit you linked earlier).   Typically .30 ((not starting .30 vs 7, I swear) even though .30 is the answer :) )), similar deal to what you see in Africa with the dangerous game and .375H&H and up.  

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Keep in mind, there are outfitter that “strongly suggest” a minimum caliber (including the outfit you linked earlier).   Typically .30 ((not starting .30 vs 7, I swear) even though .30 is the answer :) )), similar deal to what you see in Africa with the dangerous game and .375H&H and up.  

“Strongly request” has become “require” for many of them. They will hand you one if you don’t bring one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

“Strongly request” has become “require” for many of them. They will hand you one if you don’t bring one. 

I’ve saw them hem and haw on a nilgai hunt once, but that was it. It was over a 270 and really due to the skin and lack of a blood trail, not firepower. Guy ended up successfully smoking his bull with his 270, no big deal.  I’ve heard in Africa it’s just a no go situation, depending on the animal.  But figured enough $$$ could make a difference as I see shorts of Keith Warren (didn’t know he was still alive) shooting all kinds of shit with a fucking air gun and bolt.   And Roy W killing all kinds of shit with his .257 wmag, etc.  

Keep in mind, there are outfitter that “strongly suggest” a minimum caliber (including the outfit you linked earlier).   Typically .30 ((not starting .30 vs 7, I swear) even though .30 is the answer  )), similar deal to what you see in Africa with the dangerous game and .375H&H and up.  

Good to know that they have a minimum.
For nilgai specifically, the outfitters I’m sure don’t want a long tracking job. I know I don’t. South Texas brush is worse than South African brush. I would agree that for less than 30 cal, shot selection and bullet placement becomes really, really critical. Nathan Foster (Ballistic Studies, great website and books) has commented specifically that 7mm wound channels can be notably more narrow than .300 wound channels. I’m not a great shot and am impatient and tend to take risks on shots with quartering-on and other less than ideal presentations, so I’m taking my 375 as my primary rifle on that hunt.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, 686 said:

Good to know that they have a minimum.
For nilgai specifically, the outfitters I’m sure don’t want a long tracking job. I know I don’t. South Texas brush is worse than South African brush. I would agree that for less than 30 cal, shot selection and bullet placement becomes really, really critical. Nathan Foster (Ballistic Studies, great website and books) has commented specifically that 7mm wound channels can be notably more narrow than .300 wound channels. I’m not a great shot and am impatient and tend to take risks on shots with quartering-on and other less than ideal presentations, so I’m taking my 375 as my primary rifle on that hunt.

It’s the skin. It’s elastic and they just don’t bleed. I had one unexpectedly show up at the feeder one am and a 100 grain from the quarter bore disappeared it’s insides.   But those 100 feet into the brush there wasn’t a single drop of blood I could find, talk about I was nervous.  I’m talking heart was liquid when I cleaned her, total pass thru. It’s a weird, rubbery hide.  Organs towards the front like plains game.  You’d be fine with anything ‘06 and up imo. 

eta:  my advice, get comfortable shouldering and shooting in short order. Not hurried, but smooth and quicker than you’d prefer.  Those things are spookiest shits you’ll see down there, and a lot of times don’t linger.  Something you’re super comfortable with would go a long way, imo.   I know you load and practice etc so won’t be an issue. Just my .02 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, deadshank said:

This mainframe 8 showed up out of nowhere yesterday afternoon (pic taken by another camp member).  

I may have to introduce myself to him. 

IMG_0300.jpeg

Big boy for sure, neck all swelled up. How old you think he is? I’m always trying to learn, hard for me from this angle.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Big boy for sure, neck all swelled up. How old you think he is? I’m always trying to learn, hard for me from this angle.

Side view pic.

I did not see him on the hoof.  Just the 2 pics I’ve posted is what I’m looking at.

He’s at least 5.  Looking at his brisket, upper front legs and big old butt reveals a mature buck   He has likely lost 20 lbs or so running the girls.   The guy that took the pics is a 50+ year deer hunter and he thinks the buck is pushing 200 lbs and it dwarfed the other mature bucks around him.

This buck could be 6.   I don’t think he is any older than that.  Other than years of photos indicating development, only pulling his jaw can prove age. His back isn’t sagging like an over-used cavalry horse and his face still shows some signs of youth.  

For sure he’s a horse    

IMG_0302.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1