Jump to content

Surly Horns Weekly Top 25 Poll


BigOrange1

Recommended Posts

i mentioned this in another thread and there seemed to be enough interest in the idea to merit it's own thread so here it is.  we did this years ago on shaggy and it was kind of fun.  anyone who wants to participate can do so.  i'll just ask that if you jump in at the beginning to please make every effort to participate all season long so we don't have 30 voters for week 1 and 4 voters at the end.

i will compile the results each week.  just send your poll as either an excel spreadsheet or word document to surlytop25@gmail.com.  i'll publish the results every monday morning, so the deadline to have your ballot in each week will be 7:00pm on Sunday evening.  for the preseason poll, i will publish it on monday, august 28th so ballots will be due by 7:00pm on sunday, august 27th.

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

bump, in typical surly fashion i have received 0 ballots thus far.  in order to be included in the preseason poll, ballots must be received by 7:00pm on sunday, august 27th.

again, send in your ballot via word or excel to surlytop25@gmail.com

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I sent mine in.  

Wulaw Surly Top 25

1)      Georgia

2)      Texas

3)      Michigan

4)      LSU

5)      Ohio State

6)      Clemson

7)      USC

ūüė鬆¬†¬†¬†¬† Kansas State

9)      Oregon

10)   Alabama

11)   Washington

12)   Florida State

13)   Notre Dame

14)   Penn State

15)   Ole Miss

16)   Texas Tech

17)   North Carolina

18)   Oregon State

19)   Iowa

20)   UTSA

21)   UCLA

22)   Oklahoma

23)   Utah

24)   Tenn

25)   North Carolina

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

honestly, i've been so focused on september 2nd being opening day that i completely forgot about week 0.  neither notre dame or usc should be challenged, but by all means you can wait until after saturday's games conclude before sending in your ballot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kind of wish I’d held off until today looking at what USC’s defense allowed to SJSU. Gashed for several long runs on the ground They’re going to have to lock Nevada the fuck down for me not to drop them notably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

If this crew ever crosses paths with the "preseason football polls are stupid and ruin the sport" contingent here on Surly....the dance battles will be epic

West Side Story Dance Fight GIFs | Tenor

 

 

Edited by Blotto
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Kind of wish I’d held off until today looking at what USC’s defense allowed to SJSU. Gashed for several long runs on the ground They’re going to have to lock Nevada the fuck down for me not to drop them notably.

lol same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Can’t wait to see the wisdom of this 5 person crowd

don't think it's gonna look terribly different from any of the other preseason polls from what i've seen thus far.

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'll get one in by 7.

Y'all have aggy in your top 5 right?

can confirm that of the 30 teams that have appeared on a ballot thus far, aggy is not one of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Emailed. Confirm you got it @BigOrange1

Happy to post mine every week here too.

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Michigan
4. Clemson
5. Alabama
6. Texas
7. Penn State
8. USC
9. Tennessee 
10. Notre Dame
11. Utah 
12. Oregon
13. Florida State
14. Ole Miss
15. Washington
16. Kansas State
17. Wisconsin
18. Florida
19. TCU
20. Oklahoma
21. Kentucky
22. Tulane
23. UNC
24. Iowa
25. UCLA

Oh shit I left off LSU. Oh well. Fuck em.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Might be a good idea to see if this can be pinned to the top?  I might join in if my pea-sized brain/memory can be reminded of it by seeing it up top.

Then again, I might still miss it.

It's really all on me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2023 at 12:53 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

I sent mine in.  

Wulaw Surly Top 25

1)      Georgia

2)      Texas

3)      Michigan

4)      LSU

5)      Ohio State

6)      Clemson

7)      USC

ūüė鬆¬†¬†¬†¬† Kansas State

9)      Oregon

10)   Alabama

11)   Washington

12)   Florida State

13)   Notre Dame

14)   Penn State

15)   Ole Miss

16)   Texas Tech

17)   North Carolina

18)   Oregon State

19)   Iowa

20)   UTSA

21)   UCLA

22)   Oklahoma

23)   Utah

24)   Tenn

25)   North Carolina

What a bullshit listing, no aggy? lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/28/2023 at 10:48 AM, Uncle Nate said:

Might be a good idea to see if this can be pinned to the top?  I might join in if my pea-sized brain/memory can be reminded of it by seeing it up top.

Then again, I might still miss it.

It's really all on me.  

Might be a good idea to skip the fucking excel spread sheet and the email crap. I was just about to start my list when I saw that shit.

Ain't nobody got time for that shit bro.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, heso said:

We never saw the results for this week. 

He started another thread.

This is going poorly to start. We need it pinned - could just have one thread pinned with running updates. 

Also - huge game this week on Sunday - what's the deadline?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

After yesterday I already know I am going to get to somewhere between like 12-15 and start thinking "everyone sucks do I have to pick 25?"

I don’t know- feels like maybe Colorado ranked #1, Domers 2 and everyone else in the others receiving votes category based upon the shit show that was yesterday. Plus whatever happens in LSU v FSU.  Fighting Mack Browns I guess too. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t know- feels like maybe Colorado ranked #1, Domers 2 and everyone else in the others receiving votes category based upon the shit show that was yesterday. Plus whatever happens in LSU v FSU.  Fighting Mack Browns I guess too. 

ND is definitely moving up a good bit in my poll. I don't know that they have a CFP-competitive ceiling but clearly the floor is very high too, which counts for something these days. I already had UNC a good bit higher than the coaches/AP polls  (top 15) so I am not really moving them up but I feel like where I slotted them is justified after watching them last night. A top tier QB and strong defensive front can cover a lot of issues and win a lot of games, as Mack knows well.

Dropping USC a bit because I am not buying their defense and clearly I had Texas too high at 9. Tech and TCU gtfo obviously. Fresno State just beat Purdue and I'll probably move them into the poll. They are bringing quite a bit back off a MWC title team that was competitive with Oregon State and beat WSU in a bowl last year. I'll probably throw OU and aggy in because neither shit the bed and that seems to be the bar for week 1.

I don't think I'm going to rank Colorado. They played a nice game yesterday and Sanders can straight up play at the QB position but I don't think they are going to have the depth to have staying power. There's simply no way Travis Hunter can play 100+ snaps a game through a full P5 schedule. I can also maybe forgive TCU a bit if they come out looking decent the next few weeks because preparing for that team had to be next to impossible not knowing at all what to expect.

Looking around and seeing how many teams struggled with theoretically inferior opponents, I wonder if this is just going to be the norm going forward as there is more roster turnover with the portal. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

ND is definitely moving up a good bit in my poll. I don't know that they have a CFP-competitive ceiling but clearly the floor is very high too, which counts for something these days. I already had UNC a good bit higher than the coaches/AP polls  (top 15) so I am not really moving them up but I feel like where I slotted them is justified after watching them last night. A top tier QB and strong defensive front can cover a lot of issues and win a lot of games, as Mack knows well.

Dropping USC a bit because I am not buying their defense and clearly I had Texas too high at 9. Tech and TCU gtfo obviously. Fresno State just beat Purdue and I'll probably move them into the poll. They are bringing quite a bit back off a MWC title team that was competitive with Oregon State and beat WSU in a bowl last year. I'll probably throw OU and aggy in because neither shit the bed and that seems to be the bar for week 1.

I don't think I'm going to rank Colorado. They played a nice game yesterday and Sanders can straight up play at the QB position but I don't think they are going to have the depth to have staying power. There's simply no way Travis Hunter can play 100+ snaps a game through a full P5 schedule. I can also maybe forgive TCU a bit if they come out looking decent the next few weeks because preparing for that team had to be next to impossible not knowing at all what to expect.

Looking around and seeing how many teams struggled with theoretically inferior opponents, I wonder if this is just going to be the norm going forward as there is more roster turnover with the portal. 

 

I'm completely and totally rejiggering my rankings.  My first rankings (preseason) were based upon how I felt like teams would finish (I.E. my top 4 were my 4 playoff teams, I had UTSA ranked because I thought they might go 11-1 and sneak in the rankings at the end of the year etc), but from here on out it's going to be mostly resume based.  I have Colorado for example around #10 in the rankings. I fully expect them to go 6-6 and end up unranked, but they just had the best road win of the week I think- so how can I not rank them after 1 game if I'm going to be results based?

Wyoming at 25 for the same reason. Do I think they are the 25th best team?  No. But they just beat a ranked opponent and are 1-0- enjoy your time in the spotlight Cowboys.  

I've got Texas/aggy and OU all in the same spot.  Texas Defense, don't get it twisted, was very very very good. Might have been the best unit of all of those 3 teams.  Aggy WR and QB- I'm not going to say I'd trade our QB room for theirs, but I like their passing game more than ours and I wasn't expecting to say that. I think we are deeper in all the skill positions but I think they are better on the top line.  Maybe NMSU is just awful, but they looked a lot better than last year with their early season whipping. The aggy coaster clicks along upward.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2023 at 10:09 AM, BigOrange1 said:

since there are games tonight and tomorrow, let's set this week's deadline as 11:59pm on Monday night.  rankings will be posted on Tuesday morning.

Damn it. Did all the rankings and left it at work to finish tomorrow. Ok. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Damn it. Did all the rankings and left it at work to finish tomorrow. Ok. 

considering i've only received one ballot aside from my own thus far, lets call the deadline noon tomorrow and i'll put everything together during lunch time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

considering i've only received one ballot aside from my own thus far, lets call the deadline noon tomorrow and i'll put everything together during lunch time.

I just knocked it out and emailed to you. I will post here to be mocked and ridiculed.  No, I don't believe Duke is the 3rd best team in the land.  Is LSU or Clemson probably a top 25 team?  Yeah, but they didn't look it with the 1 data point I have. I'm doing a resume based poll.  There will be wild swings during the year.  That said- Georgia has won 2 in a row so I'm going to need to see something special from someone else or them shit the bed to move them out.

Mock away:

1) Georgia
2) Florida State
3) Duke
4) Michigan
5) USC
6) Noter Dame
7) Washington
ūüėé Penn State
9) North Carolina
10) Tennessee
11) Alabama
12) Utah
13) Colorado
14) aggy
15) Texas
16) Ohio State
17) Oklahoma 
18) Oregon
19) Oregon State
20) Ole Miss
21) Kansas State
22) Wisconsin
23) Wyoming
24) Minnesota
25) UCF
 
I decided I'm going to do a resume based poll.  It will probably swing wildly in the first month of the year.  
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

since there are games tonight and tomorrow, let's set this week's deadline as 11:59pm on Monday night.  rankings will be posted on Tuesday morning.

Sent mine in just now, hadn’t seen this; hopefully you can include.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 Georgia
2 Alabama
3 Ohio St
4 Penn State
5 Florida State
6 Notre Dame
7 USC
8 Oregon
9 Michigan
10 Washington
11 TEXAS
12 N Carolina
13 Tennessee
14 Utah
15 Kansas State
16 Colorado
17 Oregon State
18 Wisconsin
19 Tulane
20 Ole Miss
21 Oklahoma
22 Kentucky
23 Duke
24 Aggy
25 Texas St (EAT 'EM UP!)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sent.

1. Georgia 

2. Ohio State 

3. Michigan

4. Florida State

5. Alabama 

6. Penn State 

7. Tennessee 

8. Notre Dame 

9. USC 

10. Texas

11. Utah 

12. Washington

13. Oregon 

14. Ole Miss 

15. Oklahoma

16. Kansas State 

17. Wisconsin 

18. Texas atm

19. UNC

20. Kentucky

21. Iowa

22. Duke

23. Colorado

24. LSU

25. Oregon State

Edited by ztejas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

hot off the presses, here is this week's top 25 poll (only one tie this week!):

Rank Team Record  Points
1 Georiga (6) (1-0) 150
2 Florida State (1-0) 135
3 Michigan (1-0) 133
4 Alabama (1-0) 123
5 Ohio State (1-0) 117
6 Washington (1-0) 113
7 Penn State (1-0) 111
8 Notre Dame  (2-0) 108
9 USC (2-0) 103
10 Utah (1-0) 96
11 Texas (1-0) 87
12 Oregon (1-0) 84
13 North Carolina (1-0) 70
14 Tennessee (1-0) 69
T15 Duke (1-0) 59
T15 Kansas State (1-0) 59
17 Oklahoma (1-0) 47
18 Ole Miss (1-0) 46
19 Oregon State (1-0) 41
20 Colorado (1-0) 39
21 Wisconsin (1-0) 38
22 Texas A&M (1-0) 33
23 LSU (0-1) 32
24 Tulane (1-0) 18
25 Iowa (1-0)

13

 

Others receiving votes: Kentucky (10), Clemson (4), UCLA (3), Wyoming (3), Minnesota (2), Fresno State (2), UCF (1), Texas State (1)

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/27/2023 at 12:21 PM, ztejas said:

Emailed. Confirm you got it @BigOrange1

Happy to post mine every week here too.

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Michigan
4. Clemson
5. Alabama
6. Texas
7. Penn State
8. USC
9. Tennessee 
10. Notre Dame
11. Utah 
12. Oregon
13. Florida State
14. Ole Miss
15. Washington
16. Kansas State
17. Wisconsin
18. Florida
19. TCU
20. Oklahoma
21. Kentucky
22. Tulane
23. UNC
24. Iowa
25. UCLA

Oh shit I left off LSU. Oh well. Fuck em.

 

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Sent.

1. Georgia 

2. Ohio State 

3. Michigan

4. Florida State

5. Alabama 

6. Penn State 

7. Tennessee 

8. Notre Dame 

9. USC 

10. Texas

11. Utah 

12. Washington

13. Oregon 

14. Ole Miss 

15. Oklahoma

16. Kansas State 

17. Wisconsin 

18. Texas atm

19. UNC

20. Kentucky

21. Iowa

22. Duke

23. Colorado

24. LSU

25. Oregon State

IMG_6172.gif.3e963c0f1a86cb593e6734164f469563.gif

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very satisfying to rearrange my ballot over morning coffee and vault Texas over Alabama. 

Big move-ups for me, in addition to Texas jumping to #6 (top 5 UGA, UM, OSU, FSU, UW), are Colorado jumping into the poll at #18 and Kansas(!) at #24. Alabama falls to #9 and Wisconsin and aggy fall out. The rest of it is pretty conventional even if order may vary a bit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Texas will be #1. I said I’m doing a resume poll and ours is #1 and I think that’s pretty clear- right now. Would I expect Georgia to be a 10 point favorite at a neutral site?  Yes. But they haven’t been great so far against 2 absolutely shitty teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Emailed to you.  Here are my results to be mocked and ridiculed.  I'm not doing a power poll but rather resume.

Surly week 3 top 25

1)      Texas

2)      Florida State

3)      Georgia

4)      Michigan

5)      Domers

6)      Duke

7)      Washington

ūüė鬆¬†¬†¬†¬† USC

9)      Penn State

10)   Colorado

11)   Miami

12)   Ohio State

13)   Ole Miss

14)   North Carolina

15)   Oregon State

16)   Tennessee

17)   Kansas

18)   Utah

19)   Kansas State

20)   Alabama

21)   Oregon

22)   Washington State

23)   Oklahoma

24)   Iowa

25)   Wyoming

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. Georgia 

2. Michigan

3. Texas

4. Florida State

5. Ohio State

6. Penn State 

7. Notre Dame

8. Alabama

9. USC

10. Ole Miss

11. Oregon

12. Washington

13. Utah

14. Oklahoma 

15. Kansas State

16. UNC

17. Colorado

18. Iowa

19. LSU

20. Duke

21. Miami

22. Oregon State

23. UCLA

24. Cincinnati

25. Clemson

Edited by ztejas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 Georgia
2 Michigan
3 Texas
4 Florida St
5 Ohio St
6 Penn State
7 Southern Cal
8 Washington 
9 Tennessee 
10 Notre Dame
11 Alabama 
12 Utah
13 Oregon
14 Oregon St
15 Kansas State 
16 Oklahoma 
17 Miami
18 Ole Miss
19 LSU
20 Iowa
21 UNC
22 Duke
23 Colorado 
24 UCLA
25 Washington St
Link to comment
Share on other sites

here is week 3:

Rank Team Record Points
1 Georgia (5) (2-0) 148
T2 Texas (1) (2-0) 139
T2 Michigan (2-0) 139
4 Florida State (2-0) 135
5 Ohio State  (2-0) 117
6 Washington (2-0) 114
7 Penn State (2-0) 111
8 Notre Dame (3-0) 109
9 USC (3-0) 102
10 Utah (2-0) 87
11 Alabama (1-1) 84
12 Oregon (2-0) 78
T13 Duke (2-0) 61
T13 Kansas State (2-0) 61
T13 Ole Miss (2-0) 61
T16 Tennessee (2-0) 56
T16 Colorado (2-0) 56
18 North Carolina (2-0) 53
19 Oregon State (2-0) 51
20 Oklahoma (2-0) 46
21 LSU (1-1) 41
22 Miami (2-0) 34
23 Iowa (2-0) 25
T24 Kansas (2-0) 11
T24 Washington State (2-0) 11

 

Others receiving votes: UCLA (8), Clemson (5), Tulane (3), Cincinnati (2), Fresno State (1), Wyoming (1)

Edited by BigOrange1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine was late after the binger in Tuscaloosa and the travel back.  Sent mine in Tues morning after recovery. Well worth it. 

1 Georgia
2 Michigan
3 TEXAS
4 Florida State
5 Ohio St
6 Penn State
7 Notre Dame
8 USC
9 Oregon
10 Washington
11 Alabama
12 N Carolina
13 Tennessee
14 Utah
15 Kansas State
16 Colorado
17 Oregon State
18 Wisconsin
19 Ole Miss
20 Oklahoma
21 Kentucky
22 Duke
23 LSU
24 UCLA
25 TCU
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Week 4

1. Georgia 
2. Michigan
3. Texas
4. Penn State
5. Ohio State
6. FSU
7. USC
8. Notre Dame
9. Washington
10. LSU
11. Oregon
12. Oklahoma
13. Ole Miss
14. Utah
15. UNC
16. Miami
17. Washington State
18. Duke
19. Florida
20. Oregon State
21. Clemson
22. Colorado
23. Kansas State
24. Syracuse
25. UCLA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of both results and power.

  1 Washington 
  2 Texas 
  3 Florida State 
  4 USC 
  5 Oklahoma 
  6 Michigan 
  7 Notre Dame 
  8 Penn State 
  9 Utah 
  10 Georgia 
  11 Ohio State 
  12 Duke 
  13 North Carolina 
  14 Mississippi 
  15 Oregon 
  16 Iowa 
  17 Rutgers 
  18 Oregon State 
  19 Washington State 
  20 Missouri 
  21 Syracuse 
  22 UCLA 
  23 Alabama 
  24 Kansas 
  25 UCF 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...