Snotty Alty Punky Garagey Rock

jimmyjazz

The Dead Milkmen thread got me thinking about the insane number of great live bands that came out of local scenes from the mid-80s on.  Post some.  One rule:  they had to be able to bring it live.  There was a time when regional influences were distinct, so give me some Minneapolis, North Carolina, Arizona, Austin, Athens, NYC, Boston, Seattle, wherever.

This is one of my absolute favorites -- Superchunk.  Rawk.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m a dirty ass sooner from norman. Chainsaw kittens brought it back in the day. I saw tyson perform I’m Waiting solo acoustic at the deli. It was a hypnotic performance. Also, one of the pioneers of the early 90’s trans movement.

Recent-ish performance in norman

Back in the day

Edited by GenXer

The first time I saw Soul Asylum was at CBGB . . . I was visiting my sis in NYC and figured I should see a show there.  I had heard OF Soul Asylum, but knew nothing about them.  It was the "Hang Time" tour.  Holy shit, they blew the roof off the place.  Probably the best live band I've ever heard, either them or the Neville Brothers.  I was totally gobsmacked.  That show launched my continuing love affair with the genre and greats like the 'mats, etc.

This is a fantastic song from that album, ironically NOT written by Dave Pirner:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The first time I saw Soul Asylum was at CBGB . . . I was visiting my sis in NYC and figured I should see a show there.  I had heard OF Soul Asylum, but knew nothing about them.  It was the "Hang Time" tour.  Holy shit, they blew the roof off the place.  Probably the best live band I've ever heard, either them or the Neville Brothers.  I was totally gobsmacked.  That show launched my continuing love affair with the genre and greats like the 'mats, etc.

This is a fantastic song from that album, ironically NOT written by Dave Pirner:

I fuckin love that song

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Not sure if this qualifies, but I used to go see these guys at Liberty Lunch a lot...

I'd also throw in the Flaming Lips

My ex used to watch Beverly Hills 90210 back when watching tv was a thing. She had it on, and I was dumbfounded by this scene.

I was all..

image.jpeg.6f228e41b8e3149a1381a27f145b17bb.jpeg

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, that's pretty good.  Never heard of them.  I get a tiny Smithereens vibe in the vocals/melody.  Good sounding band.

Yeah, the venn diagram between Smithereens fans and Waxing Poetics fans in this area back then was basically a circle.

It's unfortunate for them that they were from here really, since the 50s basically no one made it out of here. The 80s and early 90s in particular were a nadir. They never were going to be commercial enough for superstardom but they definitely could have been like say the Smithereens or the Hooters if they were in a better market.

They actually did break into a commercial radio station here via a friendly DJ with this song. That begat someone tipping off Mike Mills of REM who produced one of their albums.

https://djpostl.wordpress.com/tag/the-waxing-poetics/

21 minutes ago, creeper said:

For mid-90s Austin live shows, it was hard to beat Superchunk, New Bomb Turks, the Dwarves, and--more locally--Glorium.  Those bands always brought it... the Dwarves maybe a bit too much.  No idea how the Turks are still doing it...

For me, Johnboy opened up my ears to a harder-core sound.  I was never big into that scene, but I came to appreciate it.  Johnboy fucking rocked.

• Like 1

Snotty? - Yeah, but not in mucusy way

Alty? - check

Punky? - Think if the Cure took their SSRIs and listened to too much Beachboys at the mall

Garagey? - That's kinda the only way to describe their sound

Check out these nerds from my home town... (or not, that might be the better call)

I assure you they sounded way better drinking beer around a bond fire on the beach.  They were the first really local band I got into.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, locodos said:

Snotty? - Yeah, but not in mucusy way

Alty? - check

Punky? - Think if the Cure took their SSRIs and listened to too much Beachboys at the mall

Garagey? - That's kinda the only way to describe their sound

Check out these nerds from my home town... (or not, that might be the better call)

I assure you they sounded way better drinking beer around a bond fire on the beach.  They were the first really local band I got into.

I amazed they are on YouTube.