Big XII Network

statsman

The Yormark comments- he isn’t driving the Big XII conference attitude towards Texas; he is reflecting it.  Where did the animosity begin? I think it began with the creation of the LHN and the refusal of Texas to share tier 3 revenue with the conference. 

Every school that left the conference, fairly or unfairly, assigned blame to the LHN. And, to be fair, they all joined conferences that had networks for tier 3- different models, to be sure. 

Now, Texas is leaving, the LHN is going to be shut down and Texas will roll tier 3 into the SEC network. 

I have argued that theBig XII will not be nearly as financially successful in the future, without Texas and OU, and that the nice payment for the next seven years is a function of moving before the PAC and ESPN trying to help free Texas and OU early. Others have argued that the Big XII is a strong #3 and used championship game ratings to argue there is a great market demand for games between UH and KSU. Time will tell. 

When will we see a Big XII network? What form will it take (surely not the PAC model of full conference ownership). Will it be like the B10, where the conference partners with a network and owns 51%? Or like the SEC where it lets a network have all its tier 3 content for a fee? Will we see it in 2024?

Edited by statsman

Blueblood with all the money. Cowboys/Yankees effect. I'd just embrace it, means you matter. I remember the first time a team rushed the field for beating OSU, and when shit talk increased from other programs. It meant we had finally made it and were taken seriously. When I enrolled at OSU, our games against Baylor were regularly for the toilet bowl trophy. 

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Most of the animosity towards Texas prior to the SEC announcement was just the typical dislike of the biggest, wealthiest school that exists in every conference.  Iowa fans loathe Ohio State, even though that isn't a historic rivalry, and they only play 2-3 times a decade.  They're the big dog in that league, and ergo receive that ire.

Since then, it's mostly the "we aren't good enough for you?  Well, fuck you, then" anger at rejection form of animosity.  Any animosity I've tossed at Texas was 100% of this variety.

All of this is really basic/typical human behavior and shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

I don't think the LHN really has anything to do with it.  It's just an easy scapegoat.  The schools that left previously left because they were either getting a pay raise, or thought that the league was going to blow up and didn't want to be left without a life raft.  I think Nebraska and Aggy were most jealous of Texas's rise in the Aughts and needed some more concrete excuse.  I

ESPN was trying to stick some conference games on the LHN at first, IIRC. Not Texas' fault, 100% ESPN's doing, but it was definitely a point of contention at the beginning.

12 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

ESPN was trying to stick some conference games on the LHN at first, IIRC. Not Texas' fault, 100% ESPN's doing, but it was definitely a point of contention at the beginning.

LHN showed one non-conference game and one conference game every year (basically whichever of ISU/Kansas was a home game for most years).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Almost every ISU/Texas revenue sport game in Austin from 2011 forward (except for the 2020 football game to determine who went to the Big 12 CCG) was on LHN because our AD was super willing to be the one who fell on that sword, as he viewed as something he could do to foster a good relationship with Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I thought ESPN+ has become the de facto Big 12 Network?  I mean, if I want to watch Texas Tech volleyball or soccer, I can pretty much be assured it will be on ESPN+.

Meanwhile, Spectrum (at least Spectrum in North Texas) did not have the Pac12 network for me to watch the USC game this weekend.  I was pretty much anti-ESPN+ when more and more Big12 basketball games were moved to it over the past couple of years, but looking at that vs. the Pac12 network options, I rather have ESPN+ be the de facto conference network, especially since I'm already subscribed to it for the sake of basketball watching.

On 8/25/2023 at 10:08 AM, Brian Fantana said:

I agree that the LHN is/was a convenient whipping boy. It’s not like Texas gave itself a network. ESPN is the author and finisher of all of the chaos in college football.

5 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

I thought ESPN+ has become the de facto Big 12 Network?  I mean, if I want to watch Texas Tech volleyball or soccer, I can pretty much be assured it will be on ESPN+.

Meanwhile, Spectrum (at least Spectrum in North Texas) did not have the Pac12 network for me to watch the USC game this weekend.  I was pretty much anti-ESPN+ when more and more Big12 basketball games were moved to it over the past couple of years, but looking at that vs. the Pac12 network options, I rather have ESPN+ be the de facto conference network, especially since I'm already subscribed to it for the sake of basketball watching.

That's been my thought. I signed up when OSU baseball started being broadcast regularly on ESPN+. With the Hulu/Disney+ combo, it's a pretty good deal. They even post ESPN+ games on Hulu, so I sometimes forget about a soccer match or something and when I see it on Hulu I tune in. I think it makes more sense than a linear network that requires not only a cable/sat subscription, but sometimes an extra "sports package" purchase. 

Edited by 'stache