San Antonio Spurs '23-'24: Hoops, Hype, Hair Dye

ztejas

11 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Damn this is inspiring. Actually responded to their 4th quarter run and put the game away. Wemby with another fantastic game. 31/12/6 with 56 blocks.

31 points on 17 shots in 31 minutes seems pretty damned efficient.

Crazy that anyone who started the season as a 19-year-old can be that skilled, that good.

• Hook 'Em 4

I love when Vic drives and I’m thinking “this is going to be a hard floater” and then he just dunks with his off hand. Then he gives the guy the look like “your 7 foot ass is too small”.

He has to be #1 on Bill Simmons next trade value list.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I love when Vic drives and I’m thinking “this is going to be a hard floater” and then he just dunks with his off hand. Then he gives the guy the look like “your 7 foot ass is too small”.

He has to be #1 on Bill Simmons next trade value list.

IMG_6991.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

That was great experience for Wemby. Can't wait to see that matchup again.

Lucky for you, you just have to wait 7 days. Hopefully Wemby avoids foul trouble and has more in the tank next week.

40 minutes ago, hornfan785 said:

Lucky for you, you just have to wait 7 days. Hopefully Wemby avoids foul trouble and has more in the tank next week.

I'd also like to see a double team when Sengun tries to overpower Wemby, if he puts the ball on the floor and you time it right you can get a steal. Which would make him have to start thinking about it at least.

25 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'd also like to see a double team when Sengun tries to overpower Wemby, if he puts the ball on the floor and you time it right you can get a steal. Which would make him have to start thinking about it at least.

Or how about letting Sochan wrestle with him down low and have Wemby come over from the weakside? Sengun was fantastic, but Pop did Wemby zero favors last night especially considering he had to play so passively due to foul trouble. Maybe Pop was doing some Mr. Miyagi shit and that was supposed to be some sort of teachable moment, but it certainly wasn't about putting Vic in the best position to be successful or winning the game.

I have no clue what Tre Jones did to get himself benched midway through the 3rd quarter, but it was the least shocking thing ever that the execution down the stretch was deep fried dogshit with Branham running point.  We've seen that movie before and it looked just like last night. Don't get me wrong Malaki was maybe the only bright spot in the game, but perhaps the 6 fourth quarter turnovers could have been reduced and Victor could have gotten off a little if they gave some minutes to the closest thing on the roster resembling a point guard.

One other thing about the Rockets... they played very hard on defense last night so much credit to them for all the turnovers. The refs let the physicality go and we haven't seen Wemby get taken out of the game like that since early in the season. That said, the league needs to do something about the offensive player initiating contact and it being a foul on the defense. It's a league-wide problem and Sengun took full advantage of it. He got Wemby in foul trouble and he was on his heels the rest of the night. 

I will say, though, that I'm excited to see how Wemby comes out against Houston next week. I don't think he liked Sengun dropping 40 on his head and I don't think he liked Dillon Brooks shoving him around.

Whatever the strategy for guarding Sengun was last night definitely needs to be thrown in the trash can. And yeah, pissed me off a little bit watching that dude throw his body into the defender and use his chicken wing to get space.

Wemby out tomorrow with ankle sprain. Explains why he looked so off. Can’t imagine it’s serious since he played rest of game but I hope he sits a couple. I’m going to be sad though if he starts playing 24 minutes again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, thepop said:

Wemby out tomorrow with ankle sprain. Explains why he looked so off. Can’t imagine it’s serious since he played rest of game but I hope he sits a couple. I’m going to be sad though if he starts playing 24 minutes again. 

Wemby is gonna have a revenge performance against Sengun

Zach Lowe blurb on Wemby.

I can't embed the videos, so just go watch one of the 300 absurd Wemby highlights where applicable:

Spoiler

I'm already training my brain to remind myself this is not normal:

(Wemby-doing-Wemby-things)

Wembanyama is Billy Madison, and you are an elementary school child.

The San Antonio Spurs have allowed 120 points per 100 possessions with Wembanyama on the bench -- and 112 when he plays. The lower figure is equivalent to the No. 6-ranked team defense.

Since Dec. 27, the Spurs are plus-17 total with Wembanyama on the floor. For the season, the Spurs are plus-154 in 625 minutes with Tre Jones, Devin Vassell, and Wembanyama together. The five-man group of those three plus Keldon Johnson and Jeremy Sochan is plus-50 in 107 minutes. Gulp.

There is almost no precedent for a player on a team this bad winning Defensive Player of the Year, but Wembanyama has earned strong consideration for the All-Defensive teams.

Oh, and since Dec. 27, Wembanyama is averaging 23 points, 10 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 3.8 blocks on 50% shooting -- including 38% on 5.2 3s per game. He is going to shatter the record for career five-by-five games.

Again, this is not normal:

(Wemby-doing-Wemby-things)

He's starting to draw regular double-teams in the post. He is approaching one point per possession directly out of isolation plays -- the break-even point where they become an acceptable part of an offense -- since Dec. 27. Before that, he averaged 0.64 points -- one of the worst marks in the league, per Second Spectrum.

When most rookies slump, Wembanyama is surging -- and at center, where the Spurs were once hesitant to play him. Some centers bully Wembanyama; Alperen Sengun hung 45 points on the Spurs on Tuesday night. (Wembanyama sprained his ankle in that game and will likely sit out the rest of San Antonio's road trip, coach Gregg Popovich announced Thursday.) But Wembanyama will get his.

There has been a lot of talk over the past two weeks about Wembanyama's restlessness at the bottom of the standings. That sounds threatening to the Spurs, but it shouldn't. It's an opportunity. The Spurs know how good Wembanyama is. They will pick toward the top of the lottery this season, and maybe never again in the Wembanyama era. That is how it goes for generational superstars: They are so good, so fast, you ascend on their timetable.

The Spurs have the cap flexibility and draft assets -- a bounty of extra first-round picks and swaps, including the possibility of a second top-10 pick this season from the Toronto Raptors -- to do just about anything around Wembanyama. They can be aggressive and calculated at once -- upgrading step by step without torching the future.

All the debate over the next face of the league is largely facile and might be talking around the obvious: It's Wembanyama. He is here, and he is ready to win.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know the warriors were sans Curry and Looney, but that’s just a pathetic L for them at home against the spurs without their best two players. That wasn’t exactly heart of a champion effort tonight. 

Whatever. It’s nice to see the Spurs finish one out and get a dub. 32-50 still in play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, thepop said:

Shoutout to Branham he’s become the offensive player we hoped he would be.

Yeah I don’t know if this recent stretch is real or not, but my man is on a heater. He’s always had a nice midrange game but the entire offense would open up if his three point shooting is legit. He’s also playing harder/better on defense.

We have to remember how young this team is. Branham is just 20. I like what we’re seeing from Wesley too. He’s doing a great job setting up his teammates. He had 9 assists tonight in just 20 minutes and he’s got so much upside as a perimeter defender. 

There's really no excuse for this 3Q. GS fucking sucks without Curry. I'm sorry but I've seen too many data points at this point in the season to have much faith that Pop still knows what he's doing. He needs to work on finding his replacement - this dicking around winning 18 games shit isn't going to fly next season. 

We don't need to be patient or trust the process or some horseshit we have a top 20 player in the fucking league who just turned 20.