62) Javon Bullard
63) Adisa Isaac
64) Michael Hall Jr

• Hook 'Em 2

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCarthy was highly rated as a recruit, beat out the established starter as a true freshman, beat Ohio State 3 times and won the National Championship, going 15-0 in the process. I dont see anything physically that Brock Purdy can do that JJ McCarthy couldn't do. He's 3 years younger than Nix or Penix.

He is definitely worth a draft pick for a team needing a QB

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, cmontexas said:

McCarthy was highly rated as a recruit, beat out the established starter as a true freshman, beat Ohio State 3 times and won the National Championship, going 15-0 in the process. I dont see anything physically that Brock Purdy can do that JJ McCarthy couldn't do. He's 3 years younger than Nix or Penix.

He also only had to make a couple of passes a game for his team to win. He’s a more toolsy Mark Sanchez at this point 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Brock Purdy in college > JJ McCarthy in college

JJ just played on a team that for it's level of play.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Brock Purdy in college > JJ McCarthy in college

JJ just played on a team that for it's level of play.

I don't think this is clear cut, and their situations were so different that it's difficult to compare. JJ did his job, which was to not throw interceptions, to use his legs on a couple of key third downs a game, and to make ~2 NFL throws per game. His QBR was much higher than Purdy's, but again, they had different jobs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't think this is clear cut, and their situations were so different that it's difficult to compare. JJ did his job, which was to not throw interceptions, to use his legs on a couple of key third downs a game, and to make ~2 NFL throws per game. His QBR was much higher than Purdy's, but again, they had different jobs. 

image.png.43e8eef072df43657e4676794eee6ea9.pngimage.png.6498683b1d6efedcf5661f9b7b2c3528.png

image.png.2ee7994962d8dd975157ee8116ebdd29.pngimage.png.c48fdd404aab4b3c4dba620caf8be479.png

Seems pretty clear cut to me that Brock was a superior QB on a much lesser talented team than Michigan.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Seems pretty clear cut to me that Brock was a superior QB on a much lesser talented team than Michigan.

Based on what? Cumulative counting stats that included a lot more interceptions? McCarthy's metrics were better, and he had these:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401551786/alabama-michigan

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/194/ohio-state-buckeyes

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Based on what? Cumulative counting stats that included a lot more interceptions? McCarthy's metrics were better, and he had these:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401551786/alabama-michigan

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/194/ohio-state-buckeyes

McCarthy had a 3 game stretch where he didn't get a TD at all. And his one TD against Ohio St should have been ruled an interception. He was carried by his team this year. He's not a great QB. Also you have his pre vs post Stallions stats which paint a pretty interesting picture. Brock made Iowa State far better team than they are without him. JJ McCarthy had no bearing on his team this year. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

McCarthy had a 3 game stretch where he didn't get a TD at all. He was carried by his team this year. He's not a great QB.

He was #3 in the nation in QBR, and had big NFL level throws in big games that were critical in those victories 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

He was #3 in the nation in QBR, and had big NFL level throws in big games that were critical in those victories 

QBR, a made up stat by ESPN to justify Tebow. 

Great QB's don't go 3 games without a single TD. He didn't do anything to win Michigan games this year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tebow was a great college QB but you're using QBR as a end all be all of stats for JJ. JJ is an above average game manager for Michigan. 

It's more useful than counting stats 

26 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.png.43e8eef072df43657e4676794eee6ea9.pngimage.png.6498683b1d6efedcf5661f9b7b2c3528.png

image.png.2ee7994962d8dd975157ee8116ebdd29.pngimage.png.c48fdd404aab4b3c4dba620caf8be479.png

JJ has a better Y/A, Rating, and rushing average. Your stats say the opposite. 

Purdy has the volume stats. JJ has all the stats that are independent of volume. 

Edited by Juicy

It's an EPA based metric. When numbers don't match what you'd expect from looking at a box score, it likely means someone did better or worse on 3rd downs than you'd expect from the box score. How you perform on third downs matters in football. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We shouldn't be using QBR a stat that was made up by ESPN to justify QBs. Especially considering that it's so flawed. 

Yards per attempt seems to be the best stat currently for QBs, Unless you want just straight video game numbers of TDs for QBs that throw 40+ passes a game. 

JJ was a full yard per attempt higher than Purdy for his career and almost 2 yards per attempt higher than Purdy in each of their last two systems. 

Air Raid QBs are going to have higher stats than pro style QBs. If you throw 20 passes for 200 yards IMO that is better than throwing 40 passes for 20 yards.

In the 3 game stretch that JJ didn't throw a TD. How many games of those did Michigan lose? Why throw the ball if you don't have to. 4 things can happen when you throw, a completion, an incompletion, a sack and an interception. If you can run the ball, you don't need to throw. 

Just now, Juicy said:

Yards per attempt seems to be the best stat currently for QBs, Unless you want just straight video game numbers of TDs for QBs that throw 40+ passes a game. 

JJ was a full yard per attempt higher than Purdy for his career and almost 2 yards per attempt higher than Purdy in each of their last two systems. 

Air Raid QBs are going to have higher stats than pro style QBs. If you throw 20 passes for 200 yards IMO that is better than throwing 40 passes for 20 yards.

In the 3 game stretch that JJ didn't throw a TD. How many games of those did Michigan lose? Why throw the ball if you don't have to. 4 things can happen when you throw, a completion, an incompletion, a sack and an interception. If you can run the ball, you don't need to throw. 

I want QB's who don't go 3 games without scoring a single TD. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I want QB's who don't go 3 games without scoring a single TD. 

Why? Did Michigan lose any of those games? Isn't winning the ultimate goal in football? 

QB 1 9/21, 123 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT

QB 226/49 273 yards, 1TD, 1 INT.

One of those QBs won the Super Bowl. 
8 times the team that won the super bowl, won without their QB throwing a TD. If you don't need to, you don't

You don't think Pete Carrol wishes he would have rushed beast mode instead of throwing a pick to Malcom Butler in the super bowl?

Just now, Juicy said:

Why? Did Michigan lose any of those games? Isn't winning the ultimate goal in football? 

QB 1 9/21, 123 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT

QB 226/49 273 yards, 1TD, 1 INT.

One of those QBs won the Super Bowl. 
8 times the team that won the super bowl, won without their QB throwing a TD. If you don't need to, you don't

You don't think Pete Carrol wishes he would have rushed beast mode instead of throwing a pick to Malcom Butler in the super bowl?

That's the point....Michigan didn't lose and didn't need him to win. Don't tell me he's such a great QB when that's not reality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Juicy said:

There isn't a perfect metric or stat for QB play. Most QB stats and metrics are influenced by the offense and surroundings as a whole, and grades that seek to isolate the QB like PFF rely on someone trying to understand the QB's full job, including pre-snap checks and understanding the progressions he's coached to do, and no one is probably truly qualified to do that outside of the football team

EPA based metrics (QBR), or ones similar (DVOA) are probably your best bet, while also having PFF handy as a cross check

I think Purdy and McCarthy's situations were so different that it's difficult to compare, although I'm fairly certain that traditional box score scouting isn't the best way

Just now, Fud said:

There isn't a perfect metric or stat for QB play. Most QB stats and metrics are influenced by the offense and surroundings as a whole, and grades that seek to isolate the QB like PFF rely on someone trying to understand the QB's full job, including pre-snap checks and understanding the progressions he's coached to do, and no one is probably truly qualified to do that outside of the football team

EPA based metrics (QBR), or ones similar (DVOA) are probably your best bet, while also having PFF handy as a cross check

I think Purdy and McCarthy's situations were so different that it's difficult to compare, although I'm fairly certain that traditional box score scouting isn't the best way

Iowa State had it's most success because of Purdy's play. Michigan had their success regardless of McCarthy's play.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's the point....Michigan didn't lose and didn't need him to win. Don't tell me he's such a great QB when that's not reality. 

They aren't tied together though. 

He can be a good QB, and Michigan can also win without him. Both of those can be true. They aren't mutually exclusive. 

Of the 8 Super Bowls won by teams with QBs who didn't throw a TD. 

Namath, Aikman, Elway, Manning, Brady. 

Those are all hall of fame QBs. One might even say they were great. Their teams didn't need them to win a super bowl. That doesn't mean they are not great. That is your argument, Michigan won without needing him, so he must suck. Namath, Aikman, Elway, Manning, Brady all had teams that won without needing them, so they must suck. 

Their teams didn't lose, and didn't need them to win. Don't tell me 5 hall of fame QBs aren't great when that's not reality. 

Edited by Juicy

Iowa State had it's most success because of Purdy's play. Michigan had their success regardless of McCarthy's play.

Iowa State's success was in large part due to a DC who revolutionized anti-spread defenses in college, and stumped most of the big twelve offensive brain trusts for a few years 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Iowa State's success was in large part due to a DC who revolutionized anti-spread defenses in college, and stumped most of the big twelve offensive brain trusts for a few years 

Iowa State also opened up 2021 with Brock Purdy not throwing a TD in the first two games. One of which they lost. He must suck. Thank god for that UNLV slump buster or he may have went 3 games without a TD. The horror. 

Edited by Juicy
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Giving a QB credit for a team's W/L record is pretty specious. It's not dissimilar to W/L records in baseball for pitchers. Bob Welch won 27 games in 1990 and won the Cy Young. Was Bob Welch a great pitcher or was he playing on an amazing American League team? 

25 minutes ago, Fud said:

You get trapped in the numbers sometimes. It's the same shit other guys do on here, even when a dearth of stats is a glaring issue. No one needs QBR to know who the fuck JJ McCarthy is as a QB. That dude is somewhere between Jay Barker and Tee Martin on the spectrum of national title winning QBs capable of playing in the NFL.

His draft ranking is idiotic and he's being halo-effected into that range by his coach's aura and the team/talent that carried both of them. If that sounds crazy, then you and anyone else not named Juicy the Blind Michigan Homer have forgotten that humans input the data and the way the data is manipulated, and humans, no matter how autistic or sociopathic, are emotional animals that use logic as paint to cover up the emotion driving their decisions and behaviors.

• Like 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

You get trapped in the numbers sometimes. It's the same shit other guys do on here, even when a dearth of stats is a glaring issue. No one needs QBR to know who the fuck JJ McCarthy is as a QB. That dude is somewhere between Jay Barker and Tee Martin on the spectrum of national title winning QBs capable of playing in the NFL.

His draft ranking is idiotic and he's being halo-effected into that range by his coach's aura and the team/talent that carried both of them. If that sounds crazy, then you and anyone else not named Juicy the Blind Michigan Homer have forgotten that humans input the data and the way the data is manipulated, and humans, no matter how autistic or sociopathic, are emotional animals that use logic as paint to cover up the emotion driving their decisions and behaviors.

I wouldn't draft McCarthy in the first, where he'll likely go. He's Mark Sanchez but fast and with an arm. 

My point was that it's not clear cut who was the better college QB between the two. I wouldn't state that one was better than the other as fact. Purdy put up counting stats as a four year starter. McCarthy didn't as a two year starter who only played a handful of games where he actually was tested and had to throw the ball a lot, but he did come through a few times in big moments in big games with NFL level throws and with his legs. Overall the metrics have McCarthy as the better college player, but he got to play on easy mode most of the time

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

For Christ’s sake, NFL teams don’t give a shit about their college stats. Sure they care about on-field performance in general, but they’re primarily looking for ability, physical attributes, etc.

And all metrics are “made up.” They’re all imperfect. Football is a complex sport with lots of players on the field and lots of variables; you can’t account for all of that statistically. That doesn’t mean that imperfect metrics tell you nothing, it just means they don’t tell you everything - they’re not either perfect or useless. (And if TD passes thrown in college had any correlation to NFL success, then all the Leach QBs like Symons and Cumbie and Harrell would have been stars.)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I guess not explicitly, but there’s an entire page about different QB stats and how JJ McCarthy rates in a presumed effort to figure out how high he should be drafted. 

The argument is about who was the better college QB

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Ok. Perhaps I made assumptions based on the fact that this is the NFL draft thread.

I saw a wrong in a post and had to correct it, sorry for the detour 

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

AIR Yards per attempt seems to be the best stat currently for QBs, Unless you want just straight video game numbers of TDs for QBs that throw 40+ passes a game. 

air yards per attempt would be a better stat

Drake Maye  8.7

JJ Mc            9.8

C Williams    10.3

J Daniels      13.6

2021 Purdy  7.9

JJ can make a good system QB, the problem is the NFL teams not requiring high level QB play are few and far between.

If he goes to a team like the Panthers, he is a bigger bust than Young

Edited by ChickenSandwich