2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread - I'm watching, just like you guys

gsoda3

1 minute ago, LurkingHorn said:

I want to feel this way, but Luka's 3 pt shooting has been just atrocious. I don't see the Mavs winning the series if that continues, much less in 6. 

It won’t continue. Everyone looks like shit when you lose by 30. Buts it’s one game. Wiggins won’t score 16 again for okc, he’s been averaging 6 a game off the bench so some of their guys played way over their heads.

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It’s game 1. Mavs will be fine. Typical overreaction after one game in the playoffs. You lose once and you never see yourself winning again. Like okc fans thinking they’re gonna win in 4 or 5. Lmao. I still got the Mavs in 6. 

I agree about the overreaction to wins and losses in any given series in any sport. I definitely thought Dallas was in big trouble after LAC game 1. And they turned it around in a hurry, winning 4 of the next 5. I do think OKC is a much different animal than LAC, though. If Luka has little left in the tank, that is a huge problem against a team of this calber. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I agree about the overreaction to wins and losses in any given series in any sport. I definitely thought Dallas was in big trouble after LAC game 1. And they turned it around in a hurry, winning 4 of the next 5. I do think OKC is a much different animal than LAC, though. If Luka has little left in the tank, that is a huge problem against a team of this calber. 

NBA stars are so hard to read too, I doubt Luka is gassed and has nothing left in the tank or is it just game 1 and they played lazy and lost by 25 like most games have been. I think they win game 2 and if not then I’d be worried, but even then okc winning the first two games at home is what they’re supposed to do anyways. Mavs only need to steal one on the road. 

I only got to watch snippets of the game last night from the AAC between periods and during timeouts.  But this game thread seems like a microcosm of the little I saw.  Luka missing shots, SGA flopping/soft calls or hitting shots, Gafford playing ok but everyone else looking off.  Looks like I didn't miss much.

Luka's hurt. If the way he's pushing his three point shot with his arms isn't telling enough then watch how he's getting in to the paint and making straight line drives at the basket without his pump fakes and pivot foot spins.

But Luka's got such a high basketball IQ I would bet on him figuring something out tomorrow or Saturday.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Mavs are a player short. Josh Green and Tim Hardaway Jr ain’t it. 

Taking Josh Green over just about anyone drafted behind him in that draft is almost as stupid as doubling down on that mistake and signing him to a 3yr $41million deal. 

Posted (edited)

Note how early into the game Luka was already limping. 

Hollinger is right.  If Luka was looking like that already after 4 games off then his injury is much more serious than the team is letting on. Contrast this with how Nelson and company treated Dirk after he tweaked his knee going into the 2003(or 2004) playoff series against the Spurs. Had this happened under the Nelsons Luka isn't playing.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Note how early into the game Luka was already limping. 

Hollinger is right.  If Luka was looking like that already after 4 games off then his injury is much more serious than the team is letting on. Contrast this with how Nelson and company treated Dirk after he tweaked his knee going into the 2003(or 2004) playoff series against the Spurs. Had this happened under the Nelsons Luka isn't playing.

Luka said his knee was messed up after we beat the clippers. Said it would only get better in the offseason. Mavs are cooked unless his knee miraculously gets better. 

6 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Luka said his knee was messed up after we beat the clippers. Said it would only get better in the offseason. Mavs are cooked unless his knee miraculously gets better. 

Knees don't get better without time and rest. Which won't happen in the next week. Even with Luka at full strength, beating OKC would be a tall task. With him the way he is, chances are very slim.

Posted (edited)

I don't know what this means. My game days ended, thank god, at the gap between Sega Genesis and PS. I wish I could say that I moved on quickly to finger banging, but at least I wasn't wasting my time away.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40113526/luka-doncic-dallas-mavericks-overwatch-2-tank

Edited by JohnnyRage

everyone complains about luka bitching but the dude is getting the dirk treatment.  everyone gets to foul the shit out of him because if they don't he'll score every time down the court at the rim.  its like Shaq but a guard.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

everyone complains about luka bitching but the dude is getting the dirk treatment.  everyone gets to foul the shit out of him because if they don't he'll score every time down the court at the rim.  its like Shaq but a guard.

This is old hack, but my problem with it is how long and how much of his attention he devotes to it. He will take off an entire play to make sure the ref gets it. I think it takes points off the board and isn't good teamwork.

However, we might have just seen where it paid off on the pressure foul against Dort. I mind the flopping and flailing way less than actually stopping during play.

Playing PJ with a third guard who isn’t afraid to fire from three has been huge. Gotta imagine we’ll see more of that when Timmy is on floor vs just using him as a Kyrie sub. 

Playing PJ with a third guard who isn’t afraid to fire from three has been huge. Gotta imagine we’ll see more of that when Timmy is on floor vs just using him as a Kyrie sub. 
It's working out tonight but when it's bad it is baaaadddd.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

How was that a f'ing foul?

because NBA...it is a flop too. JOnes basically goes around him.

dumbass annoucers just look at feet and don't look at the way the guys upper body moves.

Edited by dcar00

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

because NBA...it is a flop too. JOnes basically goes around him.

dumbass annoucers just look at feet and don't look at the way the guys upper body moves.

I was mad about Holmgren being a toothpick and falling flat on a rebound against Lively.

But that blocking foul could have gone either way. If it was called the other way, would have stayed as well.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

I was mad about Holmgren being a toothpick and falling flat on a rebound against Lively.

But that blocking foul could have gone either way. If it was called the other way, would have stayed as well.

holmgrens foot slipped.  IMO Jones was going to go around him if the OKC player doesn't lean and turn into him. 

Would be nice to see an effort made to get Kyrie into a rhythm out of timeout. (Does Kidd know that plays out of timeouts work for other teams?) Not sure how sustainable role players going nuts is at this pace of play.

Yeah if I was DJJ I would get a tech because I would be losing my shit on the refs on some of these calls. 

I like that Tim is attacking the basket and finding mid range. Not just chunking up 3 bricks.