2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread - I'm watching, just like you guys

gsoda3

Should be down only 1 if we could make our fucking FTs. But I’ll take it. Keep working George hard and keep bodies on Powell and Harden. PJ and DJJ need to play heavy minutes. Kleber is all over them defensively as is Lively. We can’t go too many minutes without Liveky or Gafford in the game. I don’t want to ever see us go small again. 

Need to stay aggressive. Clippers already with 3 fouls this Q and the refs have shown no desire to stop calling it tight. 

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Sorry but Luka needs to come out. He's tentative on defense.

Agreed. I was surprised to see him start fourth given he’d already gone 32 mins. 

Kidd lost this game early in the 4th leaving Luka in. He wasn't contributing on offense and just hung around on defense. We had to compensate for him and gave up 8 easy points. He also picked up his fifth foul so he can't play defense now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe don't come out and go down 23 points in the first quarter, such a shitty start.
We owned the paint last game. Jason Kidd says let's come out and shoot threes.

We come back from 31 down by playing defense and scoring in transition. Jason Kidd says let's let the Clips play offense 5 on 4.

We've got a guy getting blown by on defense every time. Jason Kidd says let's sit our two best rim defenders.

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

We come back from 31 down by playing defense and scoring in transition. Jason Kidd says let's let the Clips play offense 5 on 4.

that extremely late double team attempted trap of Harden at mid court early in the 4th that lead to a Plumee layup looked like 5th grade coaching and execution. 

something is so off about Luka... need him to come alive. Gaff absolutely has the basketball yips out there right now. Hoped Game 3 would break him out
It's a combination of Terence Mann guarding him and Luka exerting himself physically on defense. Mann's basically hand checking Luka with impunity and on the other end Luka is getting really tired. I think it's alright, we need to keep playing how we are.

Just now, gsoda3 said:
11 minutes ago, crum said:
something is so off about Luka... need him to come alive. Gaff absolutely has the basketball yips out there right now. Hoped Game 3 would break him out

It's a combination of Terence Mann guarding him and Luka exerting himself physically on defense. Mann's basically hand checking Luka with impunity and on the other end Luka is getting really tired. I think it's alright, we need to keep playing how we are.

Yeah probably, he's got that same limp from the end of the season too with the knee. If we get a single good shooting game it won't be close. Clips look a lot better without Kawhi, but that also aided by them shooting 50% and 63% from deep in the two games without him on high volume lol. Some of those first half shots were just unreal

22 minutes ago, naija said:

Is there anyone who actually thinks Jason Kidd is a great coach? Why is he the coach of this team?

Because your big 2 love and respect him. Doncic ran off the last coach, and Kyrie has a long history of being a problem child.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

Should be down only 1 if we could make our fucking FTs. But I’ll take it. Keep working George hard and keep bodies on Powell and Harden. PJ and DJJ need to play heavy minutes. Kleber is all over them defensively as is Lively. We can’t go too many minutes without Liveky or Gafford in the game. I don’t want to ever see us go small again. 

44 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

Is there a reason Kleber is in down the stretch? Dude provides zero presence in the paint.

Kleber is a much more effective defender from outside of 8 feet. He is extremely underrated. But yeah, not playing Lively in particular or Gafford in the 4th was Kidd’s biggest mistake. This is why I posted the above. It cost us the game because Harden ate us alive on the 5 foot floater. That wouldn’t have happened with Lively in instead of Kleber. I mean Kleber hit a huge three but had we had a shot blocker, at the very least it would’ve altered several of his inside attempts. This is obvious shit. 

Edited by Rex Kramer
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Dead legs. Pretty bad, too. 

I think Luka playing 45 minutes is hurting more than helping at a certain point. At the end, he was getting blown by with ease and he was also shooting like shit. I realize they were having to chase the game, but you have to find a way to give him 1 or 2 minutes. 

The Mavs also need to find a way to not be way behind at the beginning of these games. It's happened in 3 of the 4 games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I tuned in right at the beginning of the comeback. What a kick in the nuts. Luca definitely looked tired. That's gonna be a problem for sure. Either way, I don't see either LAC or DAL having any real chance at beating the Thunder. 

Edited by 'stache

16 hours ago, speed817 said:

Did Kidd talk about this at all post-game?  I did not understand strategy there at all.   I listened to a pre-playoff interview with Cuban and he specifically talked about how rim protection from Gafford and Lively was a huge part of what turned this season around, and then we just abandon it in the 4th quarter.   I'm still at a loss for how we didn't make an adjustment by the 3rd or 4th time Harden drove to the basket without resistance.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Did Kidd talk about this at all post-game?  I did not understand strategy there at all.   I listened to a pre-playoff interview with Cuban and he specifically talked about how rim protection from Gafford and Lively was a huge part of what turned this season around, and then we just abandon it in the 4th quarter.   I'm still at a loss for how we didn't make an adjustment by the 3rd or 4th time Harden drove to the basket without resistance.

Apparently, Harden did not take many floaters this year so they were banking on him not being very efficient with them. The problem is they should have adjusted after he hit a couple in a row. 

A big part of getting Luka rest is not going down double digits in the first quarter. It is surprising that Kidd doesn't make more of an emphasis at trying to control the pace of the game in the opening minutes. Even if for no other reason than being able to maintain some semblance of a rotation to allow Luka/Kyrie to rest nominal amounts This has been an issue that has plagued them all season. 

1 hour ago, ITHorn said:

A big part of getting Luka rest is not going down double digits in the first quarter. It is surprising that Kidd doesn't make more of an emphasis at trying to control the pace of the game in the opening minutes. Even if for no other reason than being able to maintain some semblance of a rotation to allow Luka/Kyrie to rest nominal amounts This has been an issue that has plagued them all season. 

Yea, a big issue is usually Kyrie does not get going until the 2nd half. They have to find a way to get him going earlier. I've been very surprised Exum has not gotten more run. He handles the ball reasonably well, at least enough to play 10-12 minutes. Even if you only bring him on for 2 minutes at a time, it seems like they could find ways to keep the ship afloat without running Luka and Kyrie into the ground. 

7 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Apparently, Harden did not take many floaters this year so they were banking on him not being very efficient with them. The problem is they should have adjusted after he hit a couple in a row. 

The fact that those guys didn’t play in the 4th is Kidd costing us the game. Period. 

Kidd doesn't emphasize anything. He doesn't steer the ship. I'd say he thinks his role is to make sure the ship doesn't crash or become beached but we had last year where we completely missed the playoffs so I don't know what he thinks he's doing.
Yea, a big issue is usually Kyrie does not get going until the 2nd half. They have to find a way to get him going earlier. I've been very surprised Exum has not gotten more run. He handles the ball reasonably well, at least enough to play 10-12 minutes. Even if you only bring him on for 2 minutes at a time, it seems like they could find ways to keep the ship afloat without running Luka and Kyrie into the ground. 
Exum has been unplayable this series which has been a surprise. He was doing so well all year.