2018 Golf Thread of Dominance

Hookem2102

2 hours ago, Mileslong said:

A few days ago I mentioned getting fitted for clubs. I know Champions is good but they are twice as expensive as Golftec, are they really that much better? Also according to their website, PGA Superstore offers free club fitting, how can they do this??

I'm assuming it is only free if you buy the club from them.

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

Thanks, the g/f and i were looking for a little weekend golf get away and was looking at Marble Falls and she found this place online

Pine Dunes is a gem.  Easily my favorite non-NAME course in the state.

• Like 1

Plus one on Pine Dunes. But if it is a weekend trip keep in mind there is no place nice to stay nearby and restaurant options are very limited.

They have about 8 rooms onsite that are passable but the food onsite is TERRIBLE.

I’ve been looking online and there aren’t any good places to eat in that area. Might need to change plan, not a big deal to me but to the g/f it is.

I have a dumb question for you and the board about scoring in a club tournament.

For an example:

Let say your handicap is 10 to use a round number. And in a two day tourney you shoot 80-80 for a total of 160. What would your total NET score be? 150 or 140?

1 minute ago, Mileslong said:

I’ve been looking online and there aren’t any good places to eat in that area. Might need to change plan, not a big deal to me but to the g/f it is.

I have a dumb question for you and the board about scoring in a club tournament.

For an example:

Let say your handicap is 10 to use a round number. And in a two day tourney you shoot 80-80 for a total of 160. What would your total NET score be? 150 or 140?

You apply your handicap to each round, assuming you are applying 100 percent.

Some tournaments where there are teams will use a percentage depending on the format.  

As for Pine Dunes, it's great for the golf but you have to put up with a rather Spartan stay, or bring stuff to grill and drink, etc.

One year my Saturday morning group hired a caterer (nothing fancy but it was a guy who came out with burgers, etc.) and then we had a keg and liquor. 

For a couples trip I would not recommend it.  Horseshoe Bay ticks all of the boxes for a couple.  You can stay at the Marriott which is convenient and has a nice pool, and there is stuff to do plus restaurants outside the resort in Marble Falls and a short drive away (Llano has Coopers BBQ, e.g.).

You might also consider a staycation for golf at the Four Seasons.  The golf course is not my favorite but it's convenienent and the accommodations are top notch.

• Like 1

That’s what I thought. I was trying to figure out how I didn’t win the Net at our club. I think I saw where 134 or 137 net won it but not sure. I was 78-81 and while I don’t have an official handicap I keep my scores on an app I showed them. It shows my average score is 81 but my adjusted NH index is 6.1. I don’t know what handicap he used for me

Just now, Mileslong said:

That’s what I thought. I was trying to figure out how I didn’t win the Net at our club. I think I saw where 134 net won it but not sure. I was 78-81 and while I don’t have an official handicap I keep my scores on an app I showed them. It shows my average score is 81 but my adjusted NH index is 6.1. I don’t know what handicap he used for me

If the interwebs are correct Oakmont has a slope rating of 123 from the blue tees which would make you a 7.

Just now, Mileslong said:

Ok thanks, most of my rounds, since I started using that app have been at Oakmont with a few from Vaquero and a few others

If you joined at Oakmont they should carry you on their GHIN account.  It's nice to have the app and an official index especially when playing in tournaments at other locations, etc.

If you joined at Oakmont they should carry you on their GHIN account.  It's nice to have the app and an official index especially when playing in tournaments at other locations, etc.

Yeah they asked me about that, guess I need to set that up. Gave myself a year , after I started playing golf again since my knee forced my tennis retirement, to even worry about handicap. I would like to start playing in some tourneys now though.

Damn I miss golf.  Don't think I'm ever going to get to where I can play again.  At one point in the early/mid 00's I sported a nice 5 handicap.  I played twice a week, and loved it.  I could hit the ball a mile.  Various old sports injuries, accidents, life, etc got in the way of my golf.  I have had both shoulders repaired numerous times, had a spine surgery, etc.  I have never been able to practice enough nor play to really get back into it.  I have played 4-5 rounds the last 6-8 years.  Terrible each time.  Part of that is I still have my set of Ben Hogan Apex 50 blades with the stiff flex shafts.  I think it's the Apex 5 shaft in the things.  I even had the 1 Iron in this set, and hit that off the tee for years.  My body has no memory off, nor the flexibility to even come close to making that old golf swing.  I can still hit the 7-E pretty well, but nowhere close to the distances I used to hit.  I have found that due to all this when I play now I simply cannot even have fun.  A well hit drive now maybe goes 260, and I might hit 2-3 well in a round.  I did have some TM irons for a bit.  They were cavity back, "game improvement" irons with more flexible shafts.  Problem with those is they were so freaking offset I would hook the f*ck outta them, and couldn't work the ball at all.  I chunked those pretty quickly.  ANyone out there have any advice on how to maybe get back into it, and potentially make it fun again?  Seems like a pretty big hill to climb.  

14 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Damn I miss golf.  Don't think I'm ever going to get to where I can play again.  At one point in the early/mid 00's I sported a nice 5 handicap.  I played twice a week, and loved it.  I could hit the ball a mile.  Various old sports injuries, accidents, life, etc got in the way of my golf.  I have had both shoulders repaired numerous times, had a spine surgery, etc.  I have never been able to practice enough nor play to really get back into it.  I have played 4-5 rounds the last 6-8 years.  Terrible each time.  Part of that is I still have my set of Ben Hogan Apex 50 blades with the stiff flex shafts.  I think it's the Apex 5 shaft in the things.  I even had the 1 Iron in this set, and hit that off the tee for years.  My body has no memory off, nor the flexibility to even come close to making that old golf swing.  I can still hit the 7-E pretty well, but nowhere close to the distances I used to hit.  I have found that due to all this when I play now I simply cannot even have fun.  A well hit drive now maybe goes 260, and I might hit 2-3 well in a round.  I did have some TM irons for a bit.  They were cavity back, "game improvement" irons with more flexible shafts.  Problem with those is they were so freaking offset I would hook the f*ck outta them, and couldn't work the ball at all.  I chunked those pretty quickly.  ANyone out there have any advice on how to maybe get back into it, and potentially make it fun again?  Seems like a pretty big hill to climb.  

Find a good (TPI certified) trainer to evaluate you and then help you build up strength and maximize flexibility.  That would be my first suggestion.  The benefits will go far beyond any golf game.

• Like 1

Trump was ridiculous.  I live in the NY area and thought I was fairly used to the rough up here only to be humbled early and often....Caddie had us all clubbing up two everytime we were hitting out of it.  

I probably should have just tried to hit more fairways.  

That is the best advice on any course

A few days ago I mentioned getting fitted for clubs. I know Champions is good but they are twice as expensive as Golftec, are they really that much better? Also according to their website, PGA Superstore offers free club fitting, how can they do this??

I started pricing this out a month ago or so in preparation for getting fitted for new irons and maybe a driver this winter. The PGA superstore on Preston in Plano is “free” to use their trackman, but if you want a real fitting, it is $250 for a three hour session that goes through your full bag, including golf balls. You can break it up into different days if needed. The guy said they may be able to get you a better deal on clubs during the fitting, but it isn’t carte blanche discount if you buy the clubs from them.
  • Like 1

I started pricing this out a month ago or so in preparation for getting fitted for new irons and maybe a driver this winter. The PGA superstore on Preston in Plano is “free” to use their trackman, but if you want a real fitting, it is $250 for a three hour session that goes through your full bag, including golf balls. You can break it up into different days if needed. The guy said they may be able to get you a better deal on clubs during the fitting, but it isn’t carte blanche discount if you buy the clubs from them.

Is PGA superstore as thorough as Champions? Does Champions use different equipment etc?

Club Champion is going to have you buy and replace all the stock shafts. I’d guess PGA Superstore doesn’t take it that far.

I’ve got an appt at Champions on Friday. Just for driver, fairway woods and hybrids. I’ll decide if I want to continue with them for my irons and wedges. Thanks for all the input guys

On 10/4/2018 at 1:22 PM, Lurch said:

Do you find a spot ~2’ in front of the ball and use that to visually draw the line you’re setting up parallel to?

I also work on locking in the way the target flag looks vs my left shoulder. To me, the shoulder is pointing about 5 yards left of a target when I’m square. I sometimes intentionally open and close it to extremes on the range to see the ball flight impact which allows me to fine tune the correct position.

Ball position is key, too. Not only making sure it is correct, but also not opening when ball is forward w longer clubs.

ETA: I’ve been told repeatedly not to consider feet in alignment, but rather knees, hips and shoulders. Feet are misleading.

Honestly, I do a lot by feel.  Clearly my feel is awful.  I'm a righty, obviously I miss right.  In my best shots, I take a small practice swing and then a full one.  If my belt buckle isn't on the target on my full swing I'll adjust.  The problem I have as a high handicapper is that I still don't always "complete" my swing which often ends in a push.

Unfortunately, my golf season is all but over in KC.  The weather is getting bad.  I've got a budget in mind and need to consult with skytrac about the minimum dimensions for an indoor range.  I think I can pull it off as I have an 11' x 15' room that is ripe.

Feel on alignment is just not going to be consistent. The pros all work on alignment in pre round warmup because what you “see” each day can be surprisingly different. You really need to nail this aspect first. If you make swing changes while you have faulty alignment, you’re just digging a deeper hole. Same is true with posture and grip.

P osture
G rip
A lignment

You should check to see if Oakmont has demo days.

Usually free and you will get reps from the manufacturers who at least in DFW are pretty honest. Watched a guy get fitted for driver by local Titleist guy and he told him to stick with what he had.

What’s the Titleist demo day policy on late arrivals for fittings? Asking for a friend.

You should check to see if Oakmont has demo days.

Usually free and you will get reps from the manufacturers who at least in DFW are pretty honest. Watched a guy get fitted for driver by local Titleist guy and he told him to stick with what he had.

They typically have them in the spring, i hit some during the TaylorMade and Callaway day but missed the others. That’s how I decided to use Callaway Apex Irons.

On 10/17/2018 at 12:11 PM, Lurch said:

Feel on alignment is just not going to be consistent. The pros all work on alignment in pre round warmup because what you “see” each day can be surprisingly different. You really need to nail this aspect first. If you make swing changes while you have faulty alignment, you’re just digging a deeper hole. Same is true with posture and grip.

P osture
G rip
A lignment

So do you have any "exercises" that help with alignment?  My mind's eye always has me aligned but I am always far right when I lay down a stick.  I can get it corrected on the range but on the course with less than ideal conditions I revert back to aiming right.  I need something that i can take to the course.

So that’s where you need to pick a spot 12-18” in front of the ball and visualize the line running from it and through the ball. Align yourself to that line, focusing on knees, hips and shoulders (NOT feet/toes). You can see that we’re not looking at our target for alignment while standing over the ball. Rather, we did it when we picked our spot while standing behind the ball in our preshot routine.

Now, when you look up at the target while over the ball, you may feel out of alignment. Don’t adjust. Become comfortable with that happening and trust your routine.

Also understand that your shoulders, hips and knees are NOT pointed at the target. They are left of the target because you’re standing left of the target line and are parallel to it. I think a lot of people wrongly envision pointing their shoulders at the target.

15 hours ago, Jhawk said:

So do you have any "exercises" that help with alignment?  My mind's eye always has me aligned but I am always far right when I lay down a stick.  I can get it corrected on the range but on the course with less than ideal conditions I revert back to aiming right.  I need something that i can take to the course.

I am left handed and had the same issue with lining to the right. So bad that at one tournament my partner started yelling at me on the range about the alignment - and he was still parking his car😗 and could see it.  I started making sure I could touch my right shoulder with my chin before swinging which helped a lot

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, huge said:

Golf is so dumb, shot 11 strokes better yesterday than last Sunday.

Or maybe it's me that is dumb.

Pros even do that too occasionally.  I recall Brandon Dejonge (sp?) shooting something like an 80 on day one of a tournament a few years ago and then he followed it up with a low 60 course record the very next day. 

Anyone here play the Ben Hogan ptx irons? I badly need some new clubs. I loved my old hogan apex 50 blades, but I’m way too old and shitty to hit those anymore. That said, I can’t hit those damn offset “game improvement” irons worth a shit. I snap hook the fuck outta them.  No clubs I’ve ever hit compare to the forged Hogan’s. Even the old apex plus cavity backs from way back in the day were incredible. Any reviews on this new version?  Pretty interested in getting back into the game a bit. 

On 10/18/2018 at 3:33 PM, Lurch said:

So that’s where you need to pick a spot 12-18” in front of the ball and visualize the line running from it and through the ball. Align yourself to that line, focusing on knees, hips and shoulders (NOT feet/toes). You can see that we’re not looking at our target for alignment while standing over the ball. Rather, we did it when we picked our spot while standing behind the ball in our preshot routine.

Now, when you look up at the target while over the ball, you may feel out of alignment. Don’t adjust. Become comfortable with that happening and trust your routine.

Also understand that your shoulders, hips and knees are NOT pointed at the target. They are left of the target because you’re standing left of the target line and are parallel to it. I think a lot of people wrongly envision pointing their shoulders at the target.

This here was good advice.  I didn't use it as effectively as my old man did but he is also on this train with alignment.  Appreciate the help.  I have a very hard time taking lessons from the range to the course because no one can give me practical items I can do on the fairway or from the rough.

Side note, PXG is selling the gen1 irons for $175 a stick if it hasn't been mentioned.