2018 Golf Thread of Dominance

Hookem2102

Right now Stevie Wonder would putt better than me.  Last 3 weeks every round is the same 10-12 fairways off the tee, 8-10 greens in regulation and 32-34 putts.  Not blowing putts past the hole but can't get anything to drop.  

Shot 40 on the front this morning, missed 4 putts less than 8 feet, 3 inside 5 feet.  Frustrating.   

Counted it up: 14 GIR. Amazing what that one stat means to your score. Is there a more significant stat in the game?

Probably not.

Although hitting fairways is usually a big part of hitting greens for me.

I’ve had plenty of days where my iron play was great. But then I couldn’t find a fairway, and it didn’t matter much what I did with my irons.

Other than losing 1-2 strokes a round chalked up to stupidity, I think sometimes I lose the most strokes on the green.

Or perhaps it’s my chipping. If I could chip better, I’d most certainly drop strokes putting.

That’s one of the many reasons why I love this game so much. I don’t think I’ll ever figure it out. And I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of trying to figure it out.

On 6/29/2018 at 6:54 PM, llanoflash said:

lighthouse country club is in finominle shape. best course in the hill  country. greens are amazing. fairways are flawless. you can golf now the fucking place for about 28$. and get a free beer.

I've been meaning to go out there for a long while now ... maybe this coming weekend I can sneak out.

On 6/29/2018 at 6:54 PM, llanoflash said:

lighthouse country club is in finominle shape. best course in the hill  country. greens are amazing. fairways are flawless. you can golf now the fucking place for about 28$. and get a free beer.

Can concur. I think my foursome was the only group on the course today. Fantastic greens and fairways despite the rain last night.

That said I really am worried about the courses future. I know it's been around for ages though various owners but damn they must be leaking money. Didn't have range balls to give out today because they didn't have anyone to pick them up, didn't have ice for the cooler so the beers we bought were hot by #6, and as of yesterday all of the tee times were taken off of golfnow for at least the next week. 

Edited by SlingeroGuitaro

13 hours ago, SlingeroGuitaro said:

Can concur. I think my foursome was the only group on the course today. Fantastic greens and fairways despite the rain last night.

That said I really am worried about the courses future. I know it's been around for ages though various owners but damn they must be leaking money. Didn't have range balls to give out today because they didn't have anyone to pick them up, didn't have ice for the cooler so the beers we bought were hot by #6, and as of yesterday all of the tee times were taken off of golfnow for at least the next week. 

hadnt heard anything bad..

i think the owner is doing pretty well in other businesses. he might get tired of funding this place though. not sure. 

they need to worry about losing the superintendent.. that guy knows how to grow some grass.

Played Pinehurst #2 today.  

I can only think of two rounds in my life that I enjoyed less.  There was a big tourney championship yesterday and they left the brutal pins in the same spot today.  With the greens rolling 12-13, they were nearly impossible for me to hold with my long irons and the false fronts kept me from bump and running them up.  When I missed the greens, I tried putting on for the first 6-7 holes then had to give that up and resort to chipping/praying the rest of the day.  I can’t tell you how many shots I took only to watch the ball roll back to my feet.  To make matters worse I managed to putt off the green three times.  Just a total disaster.  60/46 after shooting an 83 on a Thursday.

In our flight of 20 players with a 12-16 handicap, we had just three skins, including one I took with a par on #14.

Back to play Pinehurst #8 tomorrow.

Edited by Lurch

If I had never played it before and that was my option it would be so bittersweet.

Of course I want to play it.

Of course I don’t like shitting my pants in public and checking a box at the same time.

First hole of the day I find the front edge of the green in two... and fucking putt off the back!

Fortunately I pulled my shit together and shot 46/38 with a double on the final hole (failed to putt up a false front again). Went from 18th to 5th.

Also found out my par skin yesterday was worth $120, which was good news as both of my birdies today were covered by others.

I actually really liked Pinehurst #8. The holes seemed to have a lot more character imo

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Any recs for a backyard practice net? I've got plenty of room so size is not an issue. I've got a artificial grass mat to hit off of, just need something to collect and cradle my balls.

I got this one a couple months ago and like it.  It's easy to set up / break down, and it's sturdy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DCAD2O0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 7/14/2018 at 3:49 PM, Lurch said:

Played Pinehurst #2 today.  

I can only think of two rounds in my life that I enjoyed less.  There was a big tourney championship yesterday and they left the brutal pins in the same spot today.  With the greens rolling 12-13, they were nearly impossible for me to hold with my long irons and the false fronts kept me from bump and running them up.  When I missed the greens, I tried putting on for the first 6-7 holes then had to give that up and resort to chipping/praying the rest of the day.  I can’t tell you how many shots I took only to watch the ball roll back to my feet.  To make matters worse I managed to putt off the green three times.  Just a total disaster.  60/46 after shooting an 83 on a Thursday.

In our flight of 20 players with a 12-16 handicap, we had just three skins, including one I took with a par on #14.

Back to play Pinehurst #8 tomorrow.

I have a cool Pinehurst 2 story.  There's a guy at my club, who actually is my match play partner.  About 10 years ago he went on a trip with a bunch of other guys from my club to Pinehurst.  They call it the Captain's Cup.  The clique includes mostly the lowest handicappers. o

Anyway at the time of the trip he was a 1 or 2 handicap.  Played Pinehurst 2 and didn't make a par the entire round.  No birdies or better either.  That ignominious accomplishment now bears his last name, and is used routinely to describe it.  We also use it for how many holes it takes you to get off the "____" or whether you had a 5 hole "_____" or a 9 hole "______"

any suggestions for a Hou area instructor ?

I like my contact, but somehow have gotten all out of whack with alignment and have never cared for my launch angles (I hit the ball damn high with very strong lofts on my irons). Want to get back distance on my driver also / maybe get recs for a new shaft. 

there's a golftec by my office in memorial city, I've thought about doing their swing evaluation 

Edited by tx 3 putt

28 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

How was it? Thinking about heading out there soon.

Great shape. Booked online so we got on for $30 a man. They had just verticut the greens and they were still rolling really fast.

The par 5 on the front is a little quirky; if you hit a good tee shot you have a blind shot in, but the green is surrounded by a big rock formation on the right side so if you miss there it'll pinball around.

I shot 37 on the front, 44 on the back with 3 shots OB. I wish i could blame booze but i don't drink anymore. It just got so damn hot.

That's another thing, make sure you bring plenty of water. The jug on the front 9 was out and we had to send someone in.  

I highly recommend getting out there, it's a great little track.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

any suggestions for a Hou area instructor ?

I like my contact, but somehow have gotten all out of whack with alignment and have never cared for my launch angles (I hit the ball damn high with very strong lofts on my irons). Want to get back distance on my driver also / maybe get recs for a new shaft. 

there's a golftec by my office in memorial city, I've thought about doing their swing evaluation 

I know quite a few of their guys.  Not so much at the Memorial city location but at their upper kirby or Woodlands ones.

Great shape. Booked online so we got on for $30 a man. They had just verticut the greens and they were still rolling really fast.
The par 5 on the front is a little quirky; if you hit a good tee shot you have a blind shot in, but the green is surrounded by a big rock formation on the right side so if you miss there it'll pinball around.

I shot 37 on the front, 44 on the back with 3 shots OB. I wish i could blame booze but i don't drink anymore. It just got so damn hot.

That's another thing, make sure you bring plenty of water. The jug on the front 9 was out and we had to send someone in.  

I highly recommend getting out there, it's a great little track.

$30 is stupid cheap for a course that quality. Did they still have collars on their greens?

17 hours ago, Lurch said:

$30 is stupid cheap for a course that quality. Did they still have collars on their greens?

yes. hate those things and they come into play quite a bit.

played a tourney there a couple years ago and we got relief.. they were nearly as tall as your ball.

yes. hate those things and they come into play quite a bit.
played a tourney there a couple years ago and we got relief.. they were nearly as tall as your ball.

I’ve played 20 different courses in the last year and I’ve not seen collars once. They have to be more money to maintain than its worth. I remember when lighthouse first opened/reopened and they were immaculate and really made an impression. The areas around the green were typical hill country then these bright green, plush collars surrounding lightning fast greens.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I’ve played 20 different courses in the last year and I’ve not seen collars once. They have to be more money to maintain than its worth. I remember when lighthouse first opened/reopened and they were immaculate and really made an impression. The areas around the green were typical hill country then these bright green, plush collars surrounding lightning fast greens.

the purpose was to keep the grass around the greens from invading the new surfaces (that was the story anyway)

My game has been a little hit and miss lately.  My draw off the tee has turned into a hook.  I've gone back to playing a fade off the tee and its improving.  Played tournament course at Golf Club of Houston on Sunday, eagled 8, drove the green on #12 and birdied 17 for a 78. 

Played our Cypress course today since Tradition is aerated.  For those in Houston the Cypress is in good shape and its only $19 after 12 during the week, still only $29 on weekends.  Shot 75 tipped out, hit 10 greens, made 3 birdies, turned around and played 7 more holes with a couple of our other staff and threw 2 more birdies and damn near holed out on 18 from 148.  Hit a knockdown 8 which took one hop and stopped less than a foot after one of the other guys bounced one off the stick from about 15 yards further.