2018 Golf Thread of Dominance

Hookem2102

I bought the Groupon for Lago Vista a couple months back (2 for 1 golf) that expires August 30th.  I had forgotten about it and there's no way I'll be able to get out there before then.  Anyone on here want it?  Just giving it away - it's already paid for - would rather it be used than go to waste.  And, yes, I'm aware you never lost the amount you paid but kind of defeats the purpose of the deal to go with that option.  Let me know.

Got first lesson in 20 years this week.  Mind blown.  set up and ball placement was about 4-5 inches towards my back foot than where i should be.  Adjusted club face to be straight rather than wide open.  Previous swing was, in my mind, an attempt to trap the ball to hit it lower and further.  Apparently that was the exact wrong thing to be doing.  Fixed placement an immediately added 10 yards on irons and drastically changed ball flight on 3 wood and hybrid club.  Driver added 10-20 yards just due to roll.  Feel like a crackhead wanting to go play since I finally figured something out.  

• Like 2

Dodged the rain and went down to Lake Jackson yesterday and played The Wilderness.....what an awesome golf course.  Beautiful condition.  And no one there....was very enjoyable, me an my bud played in 3 hours.  It's way off the beaten path, but if you get a chance, I highly recommend it.  I think it cost around $25 on a GN hotdeal, golf bargain of the century.  

• Like 1

Got first lesson in 20 years this week.  Mind blown.  set up and ball placement was about 4-5 inches towards my back foot than where i should be.  Adjusted club face to be straight rather than wide open.  Previous swing was, in my mind, an attempt to trap the ball to hit it lower and further.  Apparently that was the exact wrong thing to be doing.  Fixed placement an immediately added 10 yards on irons and drastically changed ball flight on 3 wood and hybrid club.  Driver added 10-20 yards just due to roll.  Feel like a crackhead wanting to go play since I finally figured something out.  

Ask Cedric where my headcover is.

• Like 1

Dodged the rain and went down to Lake Jackson yesterday and played The Wilderness.....what an awesome golf course.  Beautiful condition.  And no one there....was very enjoyable, me an my bud played in 3 hours.  It's way off the beaten path, but if you get a chance, I highly recommend it.  I think it cost around $25 on a GN hotdeal, golf bargain of the century.  

If you can avoid the grackle sized mosquitos that’s a fun track.

Well done. Get that index lower so i can have some candy next time we peg it.

Did your teacher ask you for a cash advance in order to make rent too?
  • Like 1

Almost had my best front 9 in recent memory yesterday.  Out at The Oaks in Tulsa.  Was playing solid on the front, got to 8 and blasted a drive that must have hit a power alley (it was a little downhill but nothing ridiculous) and ended up about 105 out on a 410 par 4.  That was with a 3 wood.  I am not a big hitter but was swinging so easy yesterday that I was really on the sweet spot.  Hit a 52 degree to about 20 feet and drained the putt.  I was sitting at 39 going into the par 3 ninth.  Triple bogey.  5 strokes to get down from about 15 feet off the green.

Got drunk on the back.  Finished with a 96.

• Like 1

Almost had my best front 9 in recent memory yesterday.  Out at The Oaks in Tulsa.  Was playing solid on the front, got to 8 and blasted a drive that must have hit a power alley (it was a little downhill but nothing ridiculous) and ended up about 105 out on a 410 par 4.  That was with a 3 wood.  I am not a big hitter but was swinging so easy yesterday that I was really on the sweet spot.  Hit a 52 degree to about 20 feet and drained the putt.  I was sitting at 39 going into the par 3 ninth.  Triple bogey.  5 strokes to get down from about 15 feet off the green.

Happens to me all the time. At least you did the right thing and started drinking.

My handicap has gone from a 12 to 15 in the last four months. Took a lesson on Saturday and shot a 41 on the front nine with a birdie and I missed three makable par putts.

Golf!
  • Like 1

Shot my lowest round since I started playing again last year, a 74 at my club which left me pissed off.

Why would that piss me off when I am an 8 handicap? Because I have never shot even par, shot 73 a number of times but never got over he hump. I was 1 under going into 17 which is my favorite hole on the course.

It’s a par three, 153 yards over a pond, pretty hole with large green. Pulled an 8 iron long and left and the pin was on the second level far right. Pitched to 6 feet and missed putt for bogey.

Fine, still even with only 18 to go and wind behind me. It’s a 410 yard par four with pond on the right about 250 out. My miss is a hook and will end up in left rough about half the time and green is slightly elevated protected by bunkers.

Out of nowhere I push my tee shot right and into the pond, anti hook swing. Drop about 150 out and completely bury my ball into front bunker. Hack it out to about 20 feet and two putt for a sweet double and a 74. Still no even par round. Biggest choke joke job since Linda Lovelace.

• Like 1

Update?

Turrible

83 yesterday. Had an 8 on 11 with my second shot bouncing off the green side bunker OB. Middle of pack.

Today has been a washout playing in the rain. Shot 45 on the front with 3 doubles. Putts not falling. So far 9 lip outs though nearly 2 rounds.

We go back out tomorrow at 10 to finish second round (I’m through 15) and then final rounds start at noon.

If I par the last 3 holes I’ll shoot 85. Not good.

3 minutes ago, chitwood said:

New AP-3's should be arriving later this week.  Hit them so well at the fitting last week.  Can't wait.

That's the way it always works.  They have special clubs they use for fittings when you are considering whether to buy a new set.  Those clubs work perfectly.  The real clubs you receive don't work as well.  It has nothing to do with the player.  It's the clubs.

1 minute ago, HouTex said:

That's the way it always works.  They have special clubs they use for fittings when you are considering whether to buy a new set.  Those clubs work perfectly.  The real clubs you receive don't work as well.  It has nothing to do with the player.  It's the clubs.

:).  I tried about 5 different ones, and I definitely hit the AP3s better than the rest.  That said, you are correct.  The first mishit with the new ones will certainly be blamed on the clubs.  Can't be my swing.

Got out again and am having so much inconsistency it isn't even funny.  Shot a 49 on the back of a really tough course....

10 - par 5 (hardest hole on the course) - 8

11 - Par 4 - 4 (FIR & GIR)

12 - Par 3 - 3 (chip on and 1 putt)

13 - Par 4 - 5 (scramble and 2 putt)

14 - Par 4 - 4 2 on 2 putt

15 - Par 3 - 6 (5 shots from 10 feet off the green, really bad lie over the green into bunker, 2 down from getting out of the trap)

16 - Par 4 - 7 (tee ball OB)

17 - Par 4 - 6 (all over the course)

18 Par 5 - 6 (easy coming home but made it as hard as possible.  hit a great approach off a side hill)

I've got 5 hours in the car on wednesday so I downloaded the Zen Golf book on itunes.  I'll listen to it 4 times before the end of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing in my club championship this weekend and I’m getting nervous. Played for four days in Hot Springs Village last week. Drove the ball great but those greens are impossible to read on the side of those big hills.

I don’t think I had a single level lie, every shot is from an uneven lie

d467f464d6db9b50644a989fd40f0f9e.jpg

fbc88802d8cd357f3e84244b1fbf817f.jpg

db39a668019462d1225e20dcf1fd71ff.jpg

2441f6aec0602b9327963c5cae7bf634.jpg

0516c429861d92c326af0b8cb5d29ee2.jpg

• Like 1

Played pretty average in the club champ this weekend. Saturday was one of the craziest rounds ever. 77 with 13 pars and 5 bogeys. 12/14 fairways and 14/18 greens. One of the best balls striking days ever for me and yet not one freaking birdie. I average two a round on our course.

Had 3 freaking 3 putts! I never 3 putt, missed four very makable birdie putts. Just a waste of a round, as some guys say on tour, that was the worst score I could have posted hitting it like that. One three putt was on the easy first where i scooped up the ball with my putter 4 inches from the hole forgetting we have to putt out. Furk!

Sunday I scraped it around, terrible ball striking with two doubles and only one birdie for an 81. No 3 putts and unreal scrambling just to get that score. Stupid golf. Only hit about 8 greens, hooking everything. It was my first singles tourney and had a blast, learned a lot. Putting out makes a huge difference. Saw tons of missed 3 footers that are gimmies normally.

• Like 1

Played pretty average in the club champ this weekend. Saturday was one of the craziest rounds ever. 77 with 13 pars and 5 bogeys. 12/14 fairways and 14/18 greens. One of the best balls striking days ever for me and yet not one freaking birdie. I average two a round on our course.

Had 3 freaking 3 putts! I never 3 putt, missed four very makable birdie putts. Just a waste of a round, as some guys say on tour, that was the worst score I could have posted hitting it like that. One three putt was on the easy first where i scooped up the ball with my putter 4 inches from the hole forgetting we have to putt out. Furk!

Sunday I scraped it around, terrible ball striking with two doubles and only one birdie for an 81. No 3 putts and unreal scrambling just to get that score. Stupid golf. Only hit about 8 greens, hooking everything. It was my first singles tourney and had a blast, learned a lot. Putting out makes a huge difference. Saw tons of missed 3 footers that are gimmies normally.

And it's contagious. I've played in medal play events with no gimmies and when one player misses a 12-18 inch putt it's amazing how everyone else begins to miss them.
  • Like 1

I've been swinging so easy lately that i'm just murdering the ball.  I haven't hit my 3 wood shorter than 270 off the tee for 4 rounds now and my wedges are really in tune.  I'm just having trouble with alignment it seems because my scores aren't dropping and I'm not hitting greens with any iron above a 9.

Aside from just laying down a stick and getting your feet right, have any of you done something that really turned the switch on your mind's eye about how to approach the ball so you are on target?  I hit about a 5 yard draw with most irons.  It gets straighter with 3-4-5.  Thanks for any direction/help you can give.

Do you find a spot ~2’ in front of the ball and use that to visually draw the line you’re setting up parallel to?

I also work on locking in the way the target flag looks vs my left shoulder. To me, the shoulder is pointing about 5 yards left of a target when I’m square. I sometimes intentionally open and close it to extremes on the range to see the ball flight impact which allows me to fine tune the correct position.

Ball position is key, too. Not only making sure it is correct, but also not opening when ball is forward w longer clubs.

ETA: I’ve been told repeatedly not to consider feet in alignment, but rather knees, hips and shoulders. Feet are misleading.

On 10/3/2018 at 7:18 AM, hacker said:

played La Cantera - Palmer course yesterday. Fuck those blind tee shots.

Know that feeling. In mid 90's played Robert Trent Jones course in Hoover, Al and hated it because of blind approach shots. If I am paying a fair amount to play I want to see where I have to hit it.