2024 Drunk Thread

Mrs Whiggins

23 hours ago, Hate said:

If getting drunk on a Thursday night is wrong, I don't want to be right!

Getting drunk on a Friday night is too. Gotta get up and drive to Cherokee in the morning for a meeting with the in laws family cemetery group. Nice drive and some good places to see along the way.

46 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I asked this in one of the booze threads, and got no answer, maybe you drunks can help: 

I got a bottle of sloe gin from a friend. Its been sitting for too long. Any drink recipe recs?

@Mrs Whiggins

Ooooo, we love sloe gin. Two of the brands that you can find in the US that we like: Plymouth is our favorite followed by Hayman's. If you've got Dekuyper it's not going to be quite the same but it'll do. I'd love to try some of the brands that are more common overseas. There are some out of California that are supposed to be good but we haven't sampled them and I've not had any luck finding Sipsmith in our area.

So, with sloe gin you can drink it neat. The Plymouth (of the two we have) is best for this IMO.

Cocktail recipes under the spoiler for space.

Spoiler

A lot is going to depend upon your personal taste. For ex, I don't mind bitter (think like a Negroni cocktail)but spouse not so much. We both like a citrus 'punch' to our cocktails and thus many will have lime or lemon (freshly squeezed).

So I'll start with the less bitter drinks first and one of our faves:

Charlie Chaplin

1 ounce apricot liqueur (Rothman & Winter brand is solid and available at Twin Liquors)

1 ounce sloe gin

1 ounce fresh squeezed lime juice

Shake with ice, strain into cocktail glass

Sloe Gin Collins

2 ounces sloe gin

1/2-3/4 ounce lemon juice

club soda

Shake gin and lemon with ice, strain into tumbler, top with club soda. If you like, you can have the tumbler filled with ice, we do that more in the hot weather.

Sloe Gin Pink Lady

1 ounce sloe gin

1 ounce gin (we use Plymouth regular gin for this but have also used Hayman's Old Tom)

1 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice

1 tsp grenadine

Egg white

Chill cocktail glass in freezer for 10 minutes. Add all ingredients to shaker w/o ice. Shake. Add ice and shake again. Strain and pour into chilled glass.

Wibble

1 ounce gin

1 ounce sloe gin

1 ounce grapefruit juice (we use a white grapefruit juice because it's more sour, but pink makes a prettier drink & is sweeter)

1/3 ounce lemon juice

1/3 ounce creme de mure (if you don't have this, use creme de cassis and it'll be fine)

1/6 ounce simple syrup (optional)

Shake with ice, strain into glass

Sloe Gin Cocktail

I think this one is a little bland so it's not one of our more frequented makes, but we've not yet figured out how we'd like to adapt it. Will report back if we improve it.

2 ounces sloe gin

1 ounce elderflower liqueur (we've got St. Germain's but there are many good brands)

1 ounce lemon juice

club soda

Shake first three ingredients with ice, strain into ice filled tumbler, top with club soda

If you don't mind bitter:

Green Deacon (it's not green)

Absinthe: rinse glass with absinthe & pour out any extra

1 1/2 ounces dry gin

3/4 ounce sloe gin

1 ounce grapefruit juice (my spouse likes it with a little more than that so YMMV)

there are more, but those are the ones we've made most recently and have been in our rotation. I didn't see your question but I haven't been in the gin thread for a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Ooooo, we love sloe gin. Two of the brands that you can find in the US that we like: Plymouth is our favorite followed by Hayman's. If you've got Dekuyper it's not going to be quite the same but it'll do. I'd love to try some of the brands that are more common overseas. There are some out of California that are supposed to be good but we haven't sampled them and I've not had any luck finding Sipsmith in our area.

So, with sloe gin you can drink it neat. The Plymouth (of the two we have) is best for this IMO.

Cocktail recipes under the spoiler for space.

Reveal hidden contents

A lot is going to depend upon your personal taste. For ex, I don't mind bitter (think like a Negroni cocktail)but spouse not so much. We both like a citrus 'punch' to our cocktails and thus many will have lime or lemon (freshly squeezed).

So I'll start with the less bitter drinks first and one of our faves:

Charlie Chaplin

1 ounce apricot liqueur (Rothman & Winter brand is solid and available at Twin Liquors)

1 ounce sloe gin

1 ounce fresh squeezed lime juice

Shake with ice, strain into cocktail glass

Sloe Gin Collins

2 ounces sloe gin

1/2-3/4 ounce lemon juice

club soda

Shake gin and lemon with ice, strain into tumbler, top with club soda. If you like, you can have the tumbler filled with ice, we do that more in the hot weather.

Sloe Gin Pink Lady

1 ounce sloe gin

1 ounce gin (we use Plymouth regular gin for this but have also used Hayman's Old Tom)

1 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice

1 tsp grenadine

Egg white

Chill cocktail glass in freezer for 10 minutes. Add all ingredients to shaker w/o ice. Shake. Add ice and shake again. Strain and pour into chilled glass.

Wibble

1 ounce gin

1 ounce sloe gin

1 ounce grapefruit juice (we use a white grapefruit juice because it's more sour, but pink makes a prettier drink & is sweeter)

1/3 ounce lemon juice

1/3 ounce creme de mure (if you don't have this, use creme de cassis and it'll be fine)

1/6 ounce simple syrup (optional)

Sloe Gin Cocktail

I think this one is a little bland so it's not one of our more frequented makes, but we've not yet figured out how we'd like to adapt it. Will report back if we improve it.

2 ounces sloe gin

1 ounce elderflower liqueur (we've got St. Germain's but there are many good brands)

1 ounce lemon juice

club soda

Shake first three ingredients with ice, strain into ice filled tumbler, top with club soda

If you don't mind bitter:

Green Deacon (it's not green)

Absinthe: rinse glass with absinthe & pour out any extra

1 1/2 ounces dry gin

3/4 ounce sloe gin

1 ounce grapefruit juice (my spouse likes it with a little more than that so YMMV)

there are more, but those are the ones we've made most recently and have been in our rotation. I didn't see your question but I haven't been in the gin thread for a while.

Oops who's the idoit? Its not sloe gin, its made with aronia berries, whatever they are, and is supposed to be similar to sloe gin. 

But your sloe gin collins sounds intriguing. Thanks for the recs. 

13 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Oops who's the idoit? Its not sloe gin, its made with aronia berries, whatever they are, and is supposed to be similar to sloe gin. 

But your sloe gin collins sounds intriguing. Thanks for the recs. 

Oh sorry, you mentioned that in the gin post and I skimmed too quickly. I'd just sub it in for the sloe gin as it doesn't sound all that different. You might also just make a gin and tonic with it and see what kind of flavor profile it has? ( a super quick tonic: 1 1/2 ounces gin, pour over a tumbler filled with ice, add tonic to top then squeeze a fresh lime into the drink, give a stir).

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Worked 10 days straight (including an all nighter) with another 2 days to go.

Had a Juice Force (9.5% ABV) followed by a few fingers of Talisker and now with some Johnny Walker green. Probably have another whisky before I go to bed. Decisions decisions.

IMG_3132.jpeg

And yes, I need to upgrade my whisky game, but tonight is quantity over quality baby. 

Edited by Superhero
  • Hook 'Em 1

I know the (my) limit and I abide by it. Seriously, I work pretty hard at keeping it at a level that is very "aware" at what is healthy.

That being said, we tried a couple of new things this weekend.

I'd never bought curacao and decided to try it. A blue martini. TBH, it wasn't all that. Pretty, but a regular martini has better flavor. But the prosecco and creme de mure we had with supper? That was quite nice. A little sweet and a little bubbly.

IMG_4247.thumb.jpg.a2a89602c23aafe6d0f6e3533e0087c0.jpg

IMG_4249(1).thumb.jpg.8d19cee7ae9b8d2c82cfc1621eb05dcf.jpg

Bourbon.  I just got back from a week on the road and all I have is Bulleit.  I travel quite a bit these days so I don't have a lot of time to go to the liquor store.  The weekends for me are just to try to relax for 48 hours before I have to do it again.  I never had to travel much for work previously, but I've been on the road more this year than I have been in my office.  I try to have fun on the weekends.

I went to an art festival earlier today and got high as a goat.  It was outstanding between the art, the high, and the weather.  I had an early lunch/dinner with the wife and then came home to watch the Masters for the rest of the day.  I'm already a couple of bourbons in and I'm listening to the Grateful Dead.  Today was a pretty goddamn good day. 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952tii0mzyiaa79sbjg0u5

• Hook 'Em 1

Knocking back my 4th Dos Equis after a pretty damn great concert in Helotes tonight, and back now in the hills of Helotes, listening to some chuck-will's-widow singing and calling.

It's a gorgeous night in the hill country.

Sleep well ya surly fucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe it's not a chuck-will's-widow singing out of doors on my brief respite within the southwestern edwards plateau, but some other feathered friend, or I don't know quite what ... but as an early morning companion it's a damn fine guide and I tip my last beer to ya ... so cheers to ye ya mellifluous bastards. G'night.

• Hook 'Em 1

We had a lot going on this weekend and just finished with the kitchen clean up. Fish, grilled portobello mushrooms, etc along with gin rickeys during the prep and a French gimlet for afters. Both of those cocktails use fresh squeezed limes and I have to say having our own little lime tree is a nice bonus.

We had some buttermilk I wanted to finish off so to answer the question, "Do gin martinis work as a cocktail prior to consuming pancakes and sausage (breakfast for supper)?"

The answer is: "In our house, that is affirmative."

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/10/2024 at 10:51 PM, Superhero said:

Worked 10 days straight (including an all nighter) with another 2 days to go.

Had a Juice Force (9.5% ABV) followed by a few fingers of Talisker and now with some Johnny Walker green. Probably have another whisky before I go to bed. Decisions decisions.

IMG_3132.jpeg

And yes, I need to upgrade my whisky game, but tonight is quantity over quality baby. 

Incorrect. That is a very high quality selction. I've had most of those. I could buy that Talisker in Poland for around $25, it was my go to. The Balvenie is fantastic, as is the Dalmore.

It's Monday which is that ugh, meeting day where the asshats that can't get their ish together send out the agenda about two hours before the meeting so yeah, martinis are a good plan while dinner is cooking. Cocktail: martinis with Hayman's Extra Dry London gin, Noilly Prat vermouth, and a pick with 3 Mezzetta Spanish Queen Martini Olives served with wonton soup--celery, carrots, onions, parsley from the garden, and chicken broth. Four more days to the weekend but who's counting? I guess I am!