Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

All we know is that we’re better than UCLA, and a couple of other unranked teams.  Of course, I’m liking what’s happening….so far, so good….TBD.

Shit, this is the kind of stuff OU does to ranked teams

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Early season stats are always fun.  Atwood is slashing .818/.667/1.727. 

Lulz.  

Really can’t wait to see this team next week to gauge how good they are 

#2 Tennessee (beat Baylor twice 3-2 and 9-1 and play Stanford before us) - odds are high they may pitch Goshall against Stanford and then could pitch former Longhorn Ryleigh White against us 

#3 Stanford (lost twice to Kentucky this weekend)

UNC (played absolutely nobody at home this weekend)

#25 Kentucky (two wins over Stanford but lost to SDSU)

#20 Northwestern (beat ASU but lost to Boise State)

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Early season stats are always fun.  Atwood is slashing .818/.667/1.727. 

Lulz.  

Atwood is the player I think can and will break the Texas career HR record.  I thought Lindsey Stephens could have but she only hit 47. Both she and Iakopo got close to the single season record with 16 each  

11 last year, 3 this year. Granted, she’s not going to hit 40 this year like she’s on pace for, but she could be someone who hits 20 and beats Hoagland’s record for single season HR (18) and eventually career record (58). 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

My favorite comment I saw online: “Texas looked like OU and OU looked mortal” 

There is a lot of truth in that comment. OU/Washington was close because Hansen was called for obstruction on a runner we threw out at the plate. Extended the inning and UDub scored their three. It was the right call the way the rule is written but I still hate that rule. We certainly did look mortal this weekend though. Way too many fly ball outs. And UT looked absolutely dominant. Looking forward to Cowgirls/UCLA today and seeing how you guys look in Clearwater. Then seeing how we look at Mary Nutter in a couple of weeks. 

1 hour ago, lonestarsooner said:

There is a lot of truth in that comment. OU/Washington was close because Hansen was called for obstruction on a runner we threw out at the plate. Extended the inning and UDub scored their three. It was the right call the way the rule is written but I still hate that rule. We certainly did look mortal this weekend though. Way too many fly ball outs. And UT looked absolutely dominant. Looking forward to Cowgirls/UCLA today and seeing how you guys look in Clearwater. Then seeing how we look at Mary Nutter in a couple of weeks. 

Y’all can iron out some kinks since you don’t have a super challenging non-conf schedule.

We will see how UT handles a really intense tournament in Florida 

Texas could and should be #3 behind OU and Tenn with some first place votes in the new polls 

• Like 1

They won’t drop us from 1 until we lose a game but if I were voting and being completely objective I’d have UT at 1 after the way you dismantled everyone this weekend. Particularly the UCLA game. It will be interesting to see how the Lady Bruins respond against the Cowgirls today. OSU hasn’t looked great against pretty weak competition this weekend. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Don’t know the hitting of some of the new ladies- but I’m wondering if moving Maloney up in the order would make some sense as it would add a contact/speed/on base hitter somewhere else in the lineup besides 9/1/2.  

Mike sees her as basically a second leadoff hitter bc she can turn over the lineup 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Mike sees her as basically a second leadoff hitter bc she can turn over the lineup 

I get that, I just wonder if he’s considered or ever had lineups with essentially a traditional 1-5 and then a 6-9 that looks like a 1-4 with a couple of table setters and then a couple of run producers- which would fit Maloney in the 6-7 spot. 

anyhow- it’s not like the offense needs fixing, just a thought exercise. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto