Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

This team is scary good. Saw it in person. Deep pitching, speed and power….and the defense is better as well. Atwood is an all American, and the HR that Stewart hit is the longest I have ever seen at that park.

I needed to see us win a game with pitching, considering our offense last week. Citlaly answered the call. We beat two top 10 teams and our “ace” pitched 1 inning of the second game. Citlaly + Teagan = legit tandem. Teagan had 9 K in 4 innings. I guess Mike wanted to get everyone work, or she could have pitched 1-2 more innings. 

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I needed to see us win a game with pitching, considering our offense last week. Citlaly answered the call. We beat two top 10 teams and our “ace” pitched 1 inning of the second game. Citlaly + Teagan = legit tandem. Teagan had 9 K in 4 innings. I guess Mike wanted to get everyone work, or she could have pitched 1-2 more innings. 

They are a perfect tandem because Citlaly throws the drop and Kavan is a rise ball pitcher. Back them up with Simpsons off speed and you have a chance to keep hitters eyes moving.

• Hook 'Em 1

• With Friday's pair of games against top-10 opponents now in the rearview mirror, Texas (7-0) now turns its attention to North Carolina (1 p.m. CT / ESPN+) and No. 18/18 Kentucky (6 p.m. CT / LHN) on Saturday, Feb. 17. 
    • Saturday's weather forecast in Clearwater, Fla., has a high probability for rain, so any potential schedule changes will be announced on the program's social media accounts. 

7 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:
  • With Friday's pair of games against top-10 opponents now in the rearview mirror, Texas (7-0) now turns its attention to North Carolina (1 p.m. CT / ESPN+) and No. 18/18 Kentucky (6 p.m. CT / LHN) on Saturday, Feb. 17. 
    • Saturday's weather forecast in Clearwater, Fla., has a high probability for rain, so any potential schedule changes will be announced on the program's social media accounts. 

I skipped out on going today, due to the forecasted rain. As of now, just light drizzle off and on. Tomorrow will probably be a wash out.

7 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I skipped out on going today, due to the forecasted rain. As of now, just light drizzle off and on. Tomorrow will probably be a wash out.

Yesterday was the better day, by matchups. UNC is meh but UK should be a good one. Shame if we lose out on another ranked game tomorrow 

After yesterday and the games this morning, my current top 5 is:

Texas
OU
UGA
Tennessee
OKST

Texas - best resume.  4 wins over UCLA, Stanford and Tennessee.  Outscoring teams 75-8 (with 4 of 7 against ranked teams and not a single home game so far)
OU - defending champs, but their only good wins so far are extra innings against Washington and a win versus Duke
UGA - wins over OKST, Wisconsin, UCLA and FSU
Tennessee - 2 wins over Baylor and two one-run losses to Texas and Stanford
OKST - if they hold on against LSU, they also have a win over UCLA (on the road) and their only loss is to UGA 

Heavy rains starting -

OKST leads LSU 6-5, bottom 7, runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out

Field 8 game stopped (UGA-FSU), this game keeps going.  The other games a mile away keep going lol

Nvm, game is now in weather delay too.  Kenny was lobbying for it, Beth was against it.  

Going to be that kind of day, I hope we get in at least 1 game today

Edited by Js1

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Heavy rains starting -

OKST leads LSU 6-5, bottom 7, runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out

Field 8 game stopped (UGA-FSU), this game keeps going.  The other games a mile away keep going lol

Nvm, game is now in weather delay too.  Kenny was lobbying for it, Beth was against it.  

Going to be that kind of day, I hope we get in at least 1 game today

Ouch…I may be forced to watch baseball.

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

That sucks but the weather most likely spared UK an ass whooping. 

We’ll save it for 2025 in the SEC

Was really looking forward to the UK game but Texas passed the weekend test with flying colors for the 2 games they did get in against top 10 teams 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

CLEARWATER, Fla. – Due to ongoing inclement weather patterns in and around the Tampa Bay area throughout Saturday, The University of Texas' softball games against North Carolina and No. 18/18 Kentucky have been canceled. 

The decision to forgo the game between the Longhorns and Tar Heels was made 30 minutes before the scheduled 2 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. CT first pitch. Minutes later, a mutual decision between the UT and UK coaching staffs to cancel its game scheduled for later in the day was made. 

Thirty-five minutes after the original start time for Texas and North Carolina, tournament officials of the 2024 Shriners Children's Clearwater Invitational made the decision to cancel the remainder of Saturday's games due to inclement weather. 

A decision on the Longhorns' game against No. 22/RV Northwestern slated for 8:30 a.m. CT / 9:30 a.m. ET on Sunday, Feb. 18 has not been made at this time.

• Like 1

Kind of wish we did what OKST and Florida did - they scheduled a last minute game for tonight since OKST was a victim of the Clearwater rain. 

Texas remains #2 in D1 Softball and Softball America behind OU

The top 4 seems to be in consensus - OU, Texas, Georgia, UW

Softball America - #6 LSU, #7 Tenn, #10 Stanford, #11 OKST, #16 FSU, #22 Baylor, RV Louisiana
D1 Softball - #5 Tenn, #6 LSU, #8 OKST, #9 Stanford, #14 FSU, #19 Baylor

54 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Kind of wish we did what OKST and Florida did - they scheduled a last minute game for tonight since OKST was a victim of the Clearwater rain. 

Thanks for posting the rankings.

Checked to see about telecast (none listed).     OkSt is spending the week in Florida playing Stetson and a tournament in Tampa.  UW doing the same.

https://okstate.com/sports/softball/schedule

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

@FloridaHorn, did you hear any complaining there about the balls?

Apparently "everyone" felt the balls were to blame for the high scores.  (I guess our pitching staff used different balls or is elite af). 

There was no bitching at the games I was at.  The ball carries well at those parks and the wind was blowing. In travel ball, outside of the tournaments in Colorado, Eddie C Moore is where I saw the most homers.

• Like 1

I didn’t see anything over the weekend to change my thoughts from last week. Still think UT should be ranked #1 right now based on SOS and quality wins. That will sort itself out when we play later in the season. UT has looked damn good. Your frosh pitcher is going to be a handful for the next 4 years. We have Mary Nutter this weekend. No highly ranked teams but not directional school U like last weekend. Something tells me we may not get through this weekend unscathed. Just a sneaking feeling watching our bats so far through the first couple of weeks of the season. 

11 minutes ago, lonestarsooner said:

I didn’t see anything over the weekend to change my thoughts from last week. Still think UT should be ranked #1 right now based on SOS and quality wins. That will sort itself out when we play later in the season. UT has looked damn good. Your frosh pitcher is going to be a handful for the next 4 years. We have Mary Nutter this weekend. No highly ranked teams but not directional school U like last weekend. Something tells me we may not get through this weekend unscathed. Just a sneaking feeling watching our bats so far through the first couple of weeks of the season. 

Yeah, you don’t have a challenging MNC slate this year. 

Texas welcomes in HCU midweek and then a tournament at home with Louisiana for 2 games, CSU for 2 games and Stanford. We may finally see Canady Saturday night 

Just a note since I am a Nadia Taylor fan.    UH is 10-1 against meager competition but you need that to build a winning culture after their down years.  They go to LSU this weekend for a tournament.   Nadia has them hitting .388,  Hope Trautwein (OU) is pitching coach.

We open conference play with them @ Houston on 8  March.

https://uhcougars.com/sports/softball/schedule

• Hook 'Em 2

One thing some of these Big 12 schools have a bad habit of doing is cupcake-y non-conf schedules and then they get destroyed in the Big 12 and miss the tournament

Tech has been infamous for doing this - they'll roll into conference play at something like 26-3 or 28-1 and then finish 5-13 and miss the tournament. 31-22 last year but 5-13 in the Big 12.  You don't typically see Tech, KU, ISU, UH at the big tournaments in Clearwater or Mary Nutter. 

Yes, the Big 12 will get a little easier without Texas/OU, but Utah is good and Arizona/ASU have access to that good Cali talent. 

Edited by Js1

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

One thing some of these Big 12 schools have a bad habit of doing is cupcake-y non-conf schedules and then they get destroyed in the Big 12 and miss the tournament

Tech has been infamous for doing this - they'll roll into conference play at something like 26-3 or 28-1 and then finish 5-13 and miss the tournament. 31-22 last year but 5-13 in the Big 12.  You don't typically see Tech, KU, ISU, UH at the big tournaments in Clearwater or Mary Nutter. 

Yes, the Big 12 will get a little easier without Texas/OU, but Utah is good and Arizona/ASU have access to that good Cali talent. 

That's effectively what UH is doing this season. They'll get two tests against LSU, one against Boise State. Outside of that, they're playing utter dogshit. Their record will look great when Texas comes into town that Friday, less so when Texas leaves that Sunday.