2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

^^^
There’s the Icono overreaction that we all know and love. 

This is a bad day for the Texans. No way to spin it. We are fucked if we don’t sign King Henry if we are serious about improving the RB position. The Eagles are the best run organization in the NFL and they signed Saquon. We were too cheap to spend $4 more million to measure up. Horrible day. 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Haha 1

The team knows Greenard better than anyone else. I'm not an appeal to authority guy, but when teams let their own guys walk, they're usually correct. Houston might get a good comp pick down the line

Wilkins ending up in a four team auction among teams with cap space, and at some point you have to walk away when the most desperate team keeps matching offers

I didn't love the idea of Saquon and I'm a bit alarmed Houston even gave him a competative offer, but I'm guessing DeMeco wanted him. Houston should be able to find good RB production for much cheaper in this offense, and also has a chance to draft a good fit like Ray Davis 

There will be second and third tier options out there at various positions who'll provide surplus value once teams start using up most their cap space, and the team will be deeper going after those options since it couldn't land the top of the market guys

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

This is a bad day for the Texans. No way to spin it. We are fucked if we don’t sign King Henry if we are serious about improving the RB position. The Eagles are the best run organization in the NFL and they signed Saquon. We were too cheap to spend $4 more million to measure up. Horrible day. 

How have we not learned that RB is the easiest position to fill in the NFL. The learning curve is very small. You either have the natural running instincts or don't.  Obviously blocking is important as well but nearly as much as it used to be with the modernization of the NFL passing game. 

I'm glad Barkley got paid and want all RBs to do well financially in their careers. But if your goal is to win Super Bowls and manage the salary cap, the best thing to do offensively is find cheaper options at RB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

How have we not learned that RB is the easiest position to fill in the NFL. The learning curve is very small. You either have the natural running instincts or don't.  Obviously blocking is important as well but nearly as much as it used to be with the modernization of the NFL passing game. 

I'm glad Barkley got paid and want all RBs to do well financially in their careers. But if your goal is to win Super Bowls and manage the salary cap, the best thing to do offensively is find cheaper options at RB. 

need a runner that matches your blocking scheme 

What many don’t realize is that the big Texans’ cap space is somewhat an illusion. Much of it was on account of the 36 free agents they had. That’s a lot of roster spots to fill. Who knows if Caserio’s short contract strategy will work long term. It’s worked for the Astros but this is way more extreme

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Did we do a complete medical? It used to be such that an Achilles rupture for a DB was a career ending injury.

I mean, he's played football since the injury healed 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Did we do a complete medical? It used to be such that an Achilles rupture for a DB was a career ending injury.

He’s played in 28 games and been in 1,400 plays since the Achilles injury. 

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

What many don’t realize is that the big Texans’ cap space is somewhat an illusion. Much of it was on account of the 36 free agents they had. That’s a lot of roster spots to fill. Who knows if Caserio’s short contract strategy will work long term. It’s worked for the Astros but this is way more extreme

It’s a shitty, stupid way to build a championship roster. No team that is a championship contender hands out as many 1 year contracts as the Texans