Bernie Sanders 2020 Watch

Dropout

I apologize if I hurt your feelings.  It would be easier to not miss your point if you don't say things like 

Are the types of people who care so much about Jesus that they were won over by Mike Pence likely to care about the moral scolding of a 37-year-old gay man who goes around playing piano and speaking Norwegian?

when what you mean to say is that Pete should have said those things in front of a less receptive audience.

not to further splash the pot, but i've heard the pence hypocrite topic from pete on at least a half dozen interviews and talk shows, and really haven't watched many speeches.  i don't think that was specific to the brunch speech, although i'm sure the crowd got his juices flowing.

bernie's been doing this a lot longer, to say the least.  he's been in front of a crowd as an actual candidate for literally years of campaigning, so i'm sure he's played to all kinds.  and it's not really bernie's brand to shy away or tailor his message too much to whomever he's addressing.

as pete actually announces and begins his campaign in earnest, i'm sure you'll see more "bravery" and less "pandering" on his part, simply because he'll be forced to be in front of a larger variety of audiences, either in person or thru the magic of television.

to cherry-pick and then compare is silly, and i think even you realize that.  although you might not, so who can tell.

pete is going on the ellen show tomorrow, and millions of people watch her show.  yeah, they like ellen, so maybe if he brings up pence, it'll be considering pandering then too.  but he's been on fox news, he's been on meet the press, he's been on the west wing podcast (wink), he's been on stephen colbert.  when he's on a talk show, he can only really answer the questions that he's getting asked, and now that the pence stuff is out there, i'm sure he'll get asked about it plenty.

they are two totally different candidates, which is why this argument is so hard to follow, and frankly, kinda stupid.  but remember, the point of all this is to win.  and you don't win by making people who hate you, like you.  the point is to get people who are interested enough to listen, to like you.  and to get people that like you, to love you, and to vote for you, and tell all their friends to vote for you.

53 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

to cherry-pick and then compare is silly, and i think even you realize that.  although you might not, so who can tell.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I didn't bring Pete up as a comparison to Bernie @ Liberty, that was Celery trying to dunk, and failing.

I'm here trying to say they aren't the same. You seem to agree with me?

Y'all motherfuckers got Bernie Derangement Syndrome.

(BDS lol)

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I didn't bring Pete up as a comparison to Bernie @ Liberty, that was Celery trying to dunk, and failing.

I'm here trying to say they aren't the same. You seem to agree with me?

Y'all motherfuckers got Bernie Derangement Syndrome.

(BDS lol)

the implication is that when pete stands by his convictions and speaks his truth in a ballsy and brave way, he only does it in front of built-in, safe audiences, or "panders to progressives" (your words).  you pointed out the victory brunch.

whereas bernie is willing to go in front of anyone at any time and sticks to his guns in a ballsy and brave way, even when it's not a smart political move, and especially in front of a group that may not like what he has to say.  you pointed out the liberty speech.

i understand they're different, we're all saying that.  but the juxtaposition is something you've created by saying pete pandered and by saying bernie believes everyone should hear everything.  and yes, you picked out those two examples.  once again, very different people, very different candidates.

let's let this one go, and see how it plays out once pete gets a little more seasoning.

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the implication is that when pete stands by his convictions and speaks his truth in a ballsy and brave way, he only does it in front of built-in, safe audiences, or "panders to progressives" (your words).

To this point, that's true. If you have a counter event then I'm happy to accept it.

I don't think Pete's incapable or even unwilling to do it, I'm just pointing out the simple reality and truth of what has happened so far.

It's important to fire up the base, especially when building name recognition in a primary. Pete is doing a smart thing, as is proven by his rise in the polls and national notoriety.

whereas bernie is willing to go in front of anyone at any time and sticks to his guns in a ballsy and brave way, even when it's not a smart political move, and especially in front of a group that may not like what he has to say.  you pointed out the liberty speech.

Someone else pointed out the Liberty speech and then someone else brought Pete into it. Y'all act like Bernie Bros are swarming the universe and y'all all come so hard you can't even keep yourselves straight.

But that's all right, baby.

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

To this point, that's true. If you have a counter event then I'm happy to accept it.

I don't think Pete's incapable or even unwilling to do it, I'm just pointing out the simple reality and truth of what has happened so far.

It's important to fire up the base, especially when building name recognition in a primary. Pete is doing a smart thing, as is proven by his rise in the polls and national notoriety.

Someone else pointed out the Liberty speech and then someone else brought Pete into it. Y'all act like Bernie Bros are swarming the universe and y'all all come so hard you can't even keep yourselves straight.

But that's all right, baby.

ok, yes, clearly this is me "coming so hard".

someone posted the tweet and pic of bernie with falwell at liberty, and you quickly replied with 2 videos and your opinions on the liberty speeches.  apologies if you were technically not the one who first brought it up.

this is the bernie thread, so i should've known better.  i'll see myself out.

My entire jab was b_t saying it's pointless to try and speak to Christians and then turning around to extol the importance of Bernie speaking to these people who need to be heard.  Not a Bernie vs Pete thing for me, just pointing out b_t being inconsistent in his speech regarding people the dirtbag left have turned on vs his bernie.  Also, I don't care if you agree with me or not b_t, I'm not trying to convince you.  Not dunking on you, not mocking you, not a grievance.  Just an inconsistency which I don't think you recognize, similar to the inconsistency in you calling everyone out for being so damn sensitive and your sensitivity here.

13 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

My entire jab was b_t saying it's pointless to try and speak to Christians

When did I say that?

And yet again, Pete has not yet done anything that would qualify as him attempting to "speak to Christians".

Speaking to fellow progressives ABOUT Christians is not the same as speaking to Christians.

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

When did I say that?

And yet again, Pete has not yet done anything that would qualify as him attempting to "speak to Christians".

Speaking to fellow progressives ABOUT Christians is not the same as speaking to Christians.

Are the types of people who care so much about Jesus that they were won over by Mike Pence likely to care about the moral scolding of a 37-year-old gay man who goes around playing piano and speaking Norwegian?

allow me to preempt going around the merry go round again by saying I disagree with you about what is required to meet the threshold of "speaking to Christians", and absolutely disagree that he has not yet done so, and also disagree that your quote above is reasonably construed as being only about the specific content of his words in that clip and not at all about "the types of people" and their willingness to listen to someone like Pete.

Edited by Celery Man

Just now, Celery Man said:

allow me to preempt going around the merry go round again by saying I disagree with you about what is required to meet the threshold of "speaking to Christians", and absolutely disagree that he has not yet done so, and also disagree that your quote above is reasonably construed as being only about the specific content of his words in that clip and not at all about "the types of people" and their willingness to listen to someone like Pete.

So now you're conflating "speak to Christians" with "morally scolding" them?

Outreach to Christians is not the same as preening about being a superior Christian, and you know that, so fuck off with your completely disingenuous and selective quotations from an entirely different thread. This is pathetic.

CAP wants to start a war with attack ads?

Bernie's mama didn't raise no bitch

Sadly, I’m not the only candidate in the 2020 field who has experienced personal attacks from your
institution. My friend and colleague Elizabeth Warren was unfairly targeted by a November 2017 article
on ThinkProgress that echoed Donald Trump’s bad faith claims that she was being a hypocrite about her
ancestry. That attack that was linked on the Drudge Report and immediately immersed her into a rather
unhelpful debate. Again in October 2018, you published an article stating that she was hurting Native
American people.

That’s not all. In February of this year, an article on ThinkProgress attacked another friend and colleague
of mine, Cory Booker, for moving in a progressive direction and joining with me on a prescription drug
importation bill.

Center for American Progress leader Neera Tanden repeatedly calls for unity while simultaneously
maligning my staff and supporters and belittling progressive ideas. I worry that the corporate money
CAP is receiving is inordinately and inappropriately influencing the role it is playing in the progressive
movement.

Edited by bad_teammate

Bernie's got CAP shook.

CAP is one of MANY corporate-backed "think tanks" that write policy for Democratic establishment politicians and act as a source for attacks against progressives. CAP/TP going after progressives this early has allowed this fight to happen quickly and set a more productive path forward through the primary and, hopefully, to defeat Trump.

This is one of those seems-pointless-but-is-actually-important things.

No it wasn't, it was meaningless capitulation to bad-faith trolls. It just validated their insane stupidity and emboldened them to carry on to the next grand mindless adventure of nothingness.

The number of people who were ready to engage in substantive policy talk but were held back by the magical forcefield of tax returns is 0.

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

No it wasn't, it was meaningless capitulation to bad-faith trolls. It just validated their insane stupidity and emboldened them to carry on to the next grand mindless adventure of nothingness.

The number of people who were ready to engage in substantive policy talk but were held back by the magical forcefield of tax returns is 0.

It's not meaningless. The public has a right to know how public officials make money.

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

do you have any idea of the river of shit that would be coming from the white house if both the president and the would-be front runner for the dem nominee had both not disclosed?  come the fuck on.

great move by bernie, even if you don't think it was necessary.  he was right, you are wrong.

Just now, henrygandorf said:

do you have any idea of the river of shit that would be coming from the white house if both the president and the would-be front runner for the dem nominee had both not disclosed?  come the fuck on.

great move by bernie, even if you don't think it was necessary.  he was right, you are wrong.

It was a smart political movie, but it wasn't the "right" thing to do in the moral/values sense of the word "right".

Yes, he had to do it, but it just feeds people like Hugo who will move on to the next piece of completely pointless bullshit.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

It was a smart political movie, but it wasn't the "right" thing to do in the moral/values sense of the word "right".

you wanna be smart and win back the white house, or you wanna be right and watch 4 more years of this garbage?

i'll hang up and listen.

26 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

We

Are

Going

To

Fucking

Win

This is good shit and why every single Dem nominee needs to be pushing M4A. Literally a winner with what looks like a diverse group of middle-aged to old whites.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

We

Are

Going

To

Fucking

Win

You mean to tell me voters prefer bold policy solutions intended to actually fix serious problems to milquetoast piecemeal measures designed to ameliorate the painful consequences of “give the wealthy even more power and money” policies? I am shocked!

• Like 1

I do like fact that they shut down the Sanders foundation - any time your main charitable donation is to the foundation with your name on it that your son is exec director of it never looks good.

I will give him benefit of the doubt that it wasn't just a cash gift to his kid, but you have to wonder what the fuck he was thinking setting it up that way. For someone who has been in politics for as long as he has you would think he would have known better.