San Antonio Mexican Restaurants

Headed down for a couple days next week. Mrs Tailgate is a big fan of Mexican and classic cheese enchiladas y mas.

Her birthday is next week and I’d like to ensure we have a spot at a good location….I'm sure the best don’t take reservations? If any do please let me know!

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

taco haven on the way out of my town is my rec 

I love that place so much for breakfast. Dunno how much of it is nostalgia since an ex lived in SA so we always made a stop there visiting/leaving the city.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you want authentic Mexican,  go to Guajillos. It was a staple for my wife and I when we lived there. She is from Mexico city and swears by it. Its a cheap dive place with no frills, but man holy shit is it good. Be warned, their house salsa is spicy as shit but the best I have ever had. I always would get the gringas for like 4 dollars each but Im a white dude and everyone always said there is so much there better than that. The fideo soup is great as well.

https://guajillos.com/

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Best enchiladas is El Chaparral imo.  Unfortunately the OG out in Helotes is considerably better than the offshoots that are more conveniently located.  Been eating there since early 80’s, and is solid af.  

*Have never had anything but the enchiladas and breakfast.  Can’t speak to any of the other staples. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 9:51 PM, Tailgate said:

Hotel Valencia 

You are right next door to Acenar, which is usually quite friendly.  The food isn't bad, plus a nice view of the River.  

You are also in walking distance of Domingo and the Otro bar.  Check out Domingo online and consider a reservation.

When/if you're wandering the Riverwalk, pop in at Boudro's.  Their food is great, but...at bare minimum...order a round of Prickly Pear Margs and get the table-side prepared Guacamole.  Watch the world walk by.  Just sayin.

If you want SA old-school, however, you're gonna need to get in the car and go to:  Blanco Cafe on 1720 Blanco.  Taco House on San Pedro.  Teka Molino on San Pedro.  You should dig all of those.