Not new, not classic, semi-old shitbox car thread

blacklab

I have an FJ cruiser. I love it and will probably never get rid of it. But it's not great for long highway drives.

I want to get something 10-20 years old that's sporty and would be good for the highway. Would like to keep it under $10k. Stick shift would be nice. Poking around craigslist and autotrader I've seen some challengers, 350/370z's, a few lexus' and a few mercedes that might fit the bill. 

I don't want a 40 year old car but is there something like a Tarus SHO or Grand National from the mid 2000's? Type-R? May fall back to an E63 AMG like I had before, but any ideas on something I should look for?

Maybe something like this:

Infiniti G35 Coupe 2005 3.5 Low Miles $4500

image.png.66a79219f8d4a83a95a0445085146472.png
https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/austin-infiniti-g35-coupe-low-miles/7706862436.html

I have an FJ cruiser. I love it and will probably never get rid of it. But it's not great for long highway drives.
I want to get something 10-20 years old that's sporty and would be good for the highway. Would like to keep it under $10k. Stick shift would be nice. Poking around craigslist and autotrader I've seen some challengers, 350/370z's, a few lexus' and a few mercedes that might fit the bill. 
I don't want a 40 year old car but is there something like a Tarus SHO or Grand National from the mid 2000's? Type-R? May fall back to an E63 AMG like I had before, but any ideas on something I should look for?

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/austin-infiniti-g35-coupe-low-miles/7706862436.html

That's what you're looking for, fun car to drive and parts are abundant, as they made a lot of them. Aftermarket is decent as well, from wheels, to bolt-on engine mods.

The hard part is finding the G35s that's not all ran threw or had teens drive the shit out of them.

59 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I had a G37x before I got my S6.  They could not be more different.  If E63 is your expectation, don't even bother with the Infiniti.

They are reliable and moderately quick to drive if that's OK, though.

56 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

That's what you're looking for, fun car to drive and parts are abundant, as they made a lot of them. Aftermarket is decent as well, from wheels, to bolt-on engine mods.

The hard part is finding the G35s that's not all ran threw or had teens drive the shit out of them.

My fucking neighbor bought one for his son.  In less than a year, he wrecked it 3 times and they got rid of it.  What did they replace it with, you might ask?  Another one.  This time with an aftermarket exhaust.  He drives it like a total asshole.

• Like 1

• 8th gen Maxima  no idea about reliability, but sportier than you think.  300hp 261tq.  Should eat up highway.  Should be pretty cheap
  • CTS-V Caddy she's fast and probably loose
  • BMW 3 Series Great little ride that's well behaved on the highway (smallish)  buy a good one and depreciation is going to be pretty flat.

51 minutes ago, locodos said:
  • 8th gen Maxima  no idea about reliability, but sportier than you think.  300hp 261tq.  Should eat up highway.  Should be pretty cheap
  • CTS-V Caddy she's fast and probably loose
  • BMW 3 Series Great little ride that's well behaved on the highway (smallish)  buy a good one and depreciation is going to be pretty flat.

Rojo Jr drives a 2010 328i. Fun car, but maintenance heavy and even independent BMW service is pricy. He's done a fair amount of stuff on his own with the help of youtube and an OBD II scanner. 
IMG_4857.thumb.jpeg.4fdffa316fa41dbcf83c97cb163f3d0f.jpeg

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 1