Texas Baseball Recruiting Thread

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx

Kind of surprised at our recruiting rankings. Does someone who knows about baseball recruiting wanna explain to me like I'm 5 how we cant even crack the top 20 since 2018? Do we take a lot of juco transfers who dont get counted?

Texas only has 9 commits. Taking a small class because so many players are returning. 

Also, I don’t think perfect game calculates JUCOs and Pierce seems to like the JUCO market. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Kind of surprised at our recruiting rankings. Does someone who knows about baseball recruiting wanna explain to me like I'm 5 how we cant even crack the top 20 since 2018? Do we take a lot of juco transfers who dont get counted?

This is wildly uninformed but couldn't teams goose their rankings by taking a bunch of commitments from guys who are definitely going to the Draft?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I like how Pierce recruits. Good mix of JUCO, HS players and transfers. 

I’ll take more Cam Williams, Ivan Melendez, Tristan Stevens and Mike Antico types even though they don’t help our recruiting ranking. 

Totally. I'm just surprised that seems to be unique to us. 

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This is wildly uninformed but couldn't teams goose their rankings by taking a bunch of commitments from guys who are definitely going to the Draft?

Yep. Some of the teams like vandy can get top guys to stay but it’s rare. I know Texas had a catcher that went top 10 in last years draft and didn’t blink going to the MLB. 

Pierce has done a good job imo of getting juco kids that can play while also projecting quick risers in high school to college. Faltine is the prime example in this case. Drafted in the 39th round by the Red Sox but the moment he stepped foot on campus he was a stud. 

Thing is Joshua Stewart, Gavin Kash, and Jack Arthur are all "top-end players". That's 1/3 the class. None are top 100 recruits but you don't want those types because they rarely make it to campus. 

I think college baseball recruiting rankings are just heavily influenced by numbers. The top 10 recruiting classes have 21, 24, 21, 14, 16, 21, 19, 17, 16, and 18 commits compared to 9 for Texas.

Texas likely isn't going to finish ranked high in these rankings because Pierce likes the JUCO market so much. I can't remember how many JUCOs Pierce signed this cycle but I know Jace Hutchins is a good one. Hutchins was getting some MLB draft hype earlier in the year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Several publications had Texas in the top 10 for the 2020 class. Four of those guys were drafted in the first three rounds and the early returns from that class are looking pretty promising.

Edited by Revolution512
  • Hook 'Em 1

We had the number 1 class in the country last year. 

https://www.hookem.com/texas-longhorns/20191114/home-run-texas-baseball-team-announces-the-signing-of-the-nations-no-1-recruiting-class/

It was the perfect year to reach for some extra draft risks given the 5 round draft, we just got screwed by teams like Cleveland going over-slot for our guys. My scout buddy was pretty confident we were going to get Petey Halpin and Jared Jones to campus, Pierce and Co just got unlucky and we lost most of the top end. Witt, Nixon, Daly, Sthele, Gordon still made it a great class

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

We had the number 1 class in the country last year. 

https://www.hookem.com/texas-longhorns/20191114/home-run-texas-baseball-team-announces-the-signing-of-the-nations-no-1-recruiting-class/

It was the perfect year to reach for some extra draft risks given the 5 round draft, we just got screwed by teams like Cleveland going over-slot for our guys. My scout buddy was pretty confident we were going to get Petey Halpin and Jared Jones to campus, Pierce and Co just got unlucky and we lost most of the top end. Witt, Nixon, Daly, Sthele, Gordon still made it a great class

Was our adjusted class ranking still number one post draft?

6 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Was our adjusted class ranking still number one post draft?

8th per Baseball America but they count JUCO players. 

So Baseball America had Texas with the 8th best class in '20 and Perfect Game 26th. 

Ivan Melendez was considered one of the top JUCO players so that's why counting JUCO guys can really create a difference in the rankings. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Weird one here….

You baseball guys obviously know max belyeu. I’ve been friends with his mom since 5 years old.

About to start his senior year in Aledo. Got offered by Alabama maybe 15 months ago. Then Texas offered and he accepted.

His mom is a huge Aggie, and likely gives to their foundation.

It seems odd Aggie hasn’t reached out to him to me. AFAIK he is a great kid.

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

Weird one here….

You baseball guys obviously know max belyeu. I’ve been friends with his mom since 5 years old.

About to start his senior year in Aledo. Got offered by Alabama maybe 15 months ago. Then Texas offered and he accepted.

His mom is a huge Aggie, and likely gives to their foundation.

It seems odd Aggie hasn’t reached out to him to me. AFAIK he is a great kid.

Well Aggy baseball fucking sucks, so that's probably why. They know he ain't stepping foot in Chernobyl. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

42 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Saved by ardoin

It is rather difficult to execute a 5-2-3 DP by oneself.

Anyway whatever his short comings he contributes more to the success of our baseball team more than some 3 star guy was likely to contribute to our football team.

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

It is rather difficult to execute a 5-2-3 DP by oneself.

Anyway whatever his short comings he contributes more to the success of our baseball team more than some 3 star guy was likely to contribute to our football team.

He also had a nice base knock against Tennessee. Was pretty solid in the hot corner. Oh and hit .295 with 12 homers. Yeah. We probably don’t win the conference without him. Hard to argue with his average and power, but damn if he shortened up some, he’d be downright deadly at the plate