Texas Baseball Recruiting Thread

Horny Bull

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

He also had a nice base knock against Tennessee. Was pretty solid in the hot corner. Oh and hit .295 with 12 homers. Yeah. We probably don’t win the conference without him. Hard to argue with his average and power, but damn if he shortened up some, he’d be downright deadly at the plate 

I’m taking strictly at the cws his ab collectively sucked. Shoot the entire infield minus zubia was awful. 

4 hours ago, utfan87 said:

I’m taking strictly at the cws his ab collectively sucked. Shoot the entire infield minus zubia was awful. 

Ummmmmmm Zubia went 2-16(I think)in the cws while cam went 4-14. Zubia was an auto out till the Virginia game. So yeah no, Cam hit better than Zubia and the rest of our infield over the course of the series 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

They see a guy that can throw 96 to 97. You're looking for stuff that you can develop. 

Tristan Stevens had a 8.27 ERA at MCC-Maple Woods (JUCO) and had TJ surgery before getting here. 

Well, I guess we’ll just have to see. That’s more promising than it initially seemed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Well, I guess we’ll just have to see. That’s more promising than it initially seemed. 

Sean Allen will work wonders for this kid. Imagine the pitching coach at Winthrop is a ex player who is probably in his mid 20's with zero experience. 

On 7/2/2021 at 2:55 PM, MuellerHorn said:

Pierce's strength is his recruiting contacts throughout the country.   Read that Antico was on the radar due to a contact in the Cape Cod League that saw him at St Johns.

Blair had a rec from someone that mattered.

On 7/4/2021 at 12:15 PM, torre said:

Pierce's strength is his recruiting contacts throughout the country.   Read that Antico was on the radar due to a contact in the Cape Cod League that saw him at St Johns.

Blair had a rec from someone that mattered.

Heard Antico Cape Cod connect was with Tulo

• Hook 'Em 1

Huge pick up for Texas. Skyler Messinger is transferring from KU. Looks like our new 3B for a year. 

2021 (R-JUNIOR)

• All-Big 12 Second Team honoree
  • Appeared in 56 games with 56 starts
  • Opening day starter at shortstop with 55 games started at third base
  • Led the Jayhawks in batting average (.324), games played (56), games started (56), at bats (213), runs (43), hits (69), doubles (19), RBI (39) and slugging percentage (.460)
  • His 19 doubles were tied for 12th in the NCAA at the end of the regular season
  • Led KU with 20 multiple-hit games and 10 multiple-RBI games
  • One of only two Jayhawks with five-or-more RBI and hits in a game this season
  • Season-high five RBI at Missouri (5/18), going 4-for-5
  • Logged a season-best five hits at Lafayette (3/23), finishing 4-for-5 with four runs and two RBI
  • Tallied four RBI twice – at Omaha (3/12) and vs. Creighton (3/20)

https://kuathletics.com/roster/skyler-messinger/

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

Heard Antico Cape Cod connect was with Tulo

Probably both.

Connecting the dots between Antico and Texas was Jerry Weinstein. Antico's manager with the Wareham Gatemen of the Cape Cod summer league in 2019, Weinstein knew Pierce. He also had previously worked with the Colorado Rockies while UT volunteer coach Troy Tulowitzki was an all-star shortstop there.

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/06/03/texas-baseball-anticos-move-st-johns-has-been-happy-one/7505507002/

Re:   Messinger      Likely alot will depend on draft.   Taken by Cubs in 22d round after high school (2017).    otoh,  may have graduated and wants to pursue grad degree at Texas.

Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think Texas would take Messinger regardless of the draft. He's legit. 

Unless you think Messinger would be scared off by other players returning but if Williams is gone I don't see that being the case. Messinger would almost certainly be the starting 3B. 

I haven't seen Messinger projected to be drafted either so I don't think that's a worry. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think Texas would take Messinger regardless of the draft. He's legit. 

Unless you think Messinger would be scared off by other players returning but if Williams is gone I don't see that being the case. Messinger would almost certainly be the starting 3B. 

I haven't seen Messinger projected to be drafted either so I don't think that's a worry. 

Aren’t we in agreement that messinger is better than Williams? 

16 hours ago, utfan87 said:

Aren’t we in agreement that messinger is better than Williams? 

I think it's close. Different type hitters but Messinger is a better defensive 3B. 

I don't think Williams is returning either way so it really shouldn't make a difference. Messinger would almost certainly be a take if he wants to come here. 

Edited by texasstrong12

16 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think it’s close.

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think it's close.

It’s not close. Williams had more doubles, home runs, RBIs, total bases, walks, higher SLG, and higher OBP.

They also had the same amount of errors.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

It’s not close. Williams had more doubles, home runs, RBIs, total bases, walks, higher SLG, and higher OBP.

They also had the same amount of errors.

Williams is the better hitter but it's not a drastic separation between the two. 

They're different type hitters and Williams was on a much better team. 

A guy like Messinger that was able to hit .324 (and was red hot in conference play) would certainly put up better numbers in a lineup with a little protection/production from better bats in the lineup. I can see why Texas would want Messinger. With Tulo's approach at the plate and Messinger's batting average he's likely going to get on base a ton in the 3 hole with a little protection/production from other Texas bats. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

Oops, I must have been looking at non-conference play.

I don't think you're wrong that Williams is the better hitter but I definitely think Messinger is still a take. If Williams is gone (which is likely) we're starting an unknown at 3B unless it's somebody like Stehly. 

A 2nd team All-Big 12 player should be an auto take if the assumption is Williams is gone. 

In reference to the draft today the names to watch are probably Joshua Stewart, Ivan Melendez, and Pete Hansen. 

Perfect Game has Stewart at #191, Melendez #294, Hansen #456.

From what I've seen, I have no clue where Melendez is going. I've seen him in the top 300 prospects on some lists and outside the top 500 on other lists. The hope with Stewart is that he has a high asking price because he would almost certainly go in the top 10 rounds based purely on talent. 

I guess Hansen is a risk but I think he's back. Totally guessing here but the two risks are going to be Stewart and Melendez. That's not including the guys that are going to bounce like Zubia, Antico, and probably Williams. 

Melendez seems like the real wildcard. 

"I've talked to about two-thirds of the Major League Baseball teams," Melendez said. "I've also heard I could be just about anywhere in the draft. I've talked to a lot of teams and it's been great. I've just tried to take the whole process in and learn from it. We'll see how things go and if I get drafted, I'll weigh my options. I still can return to the University of Texas depending on how things go."

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sports/2021/07/10/coronado-grad-ivan-melendez-looks-forward-2021-mlb-draft/7921831002/

17 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

So… who is most likely drafted in the incoming class? And is the A&M QB prospect still looking to be a 2nd or 3rd pick?

Joshua Stewart seems to be the only risk. Most have him as a top 200 prospect. 

I think (based on draft projections/top prospect lists) Stewart is a slightly worse prospect than Witt was last year. Not that it really means anything because players/families have different priorities. 

It was discussed earlier in this thread that Gavin Kash was going to be a huge MLB risk. For whatever reason, he's not on anybody's radar if these top prospect lists have any value. I don't what happened there because almost everyone thought he was going to be a draft risk. Dustin McComas at OB had a big rant on Kash not making it to campus when he flipped from Duke. 

Either way, it seems like a huge win if both Stewart and Kash made it to campus. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texastough said:

Were there no good 3rd basemen in the big 12? How do you make 2nd team all conference hitting .236?

Are Big 12 awards based only on conference play? Because Messinger hit .324 on the year. 

I don't think the Big 12 makes position distinctions either. They just pick the top infielders. 

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Melendez seems like the real wildcard. 

"I've talked to about two-thirds of the Major League Baseball teams," Melendez said. "I've also heard I could be just about anywhere in the draft. I've talked to a lot of teams and it's been great. I've just tried to take the whole process in and learn from it. We'll see how things go and if I get drafted, I'll weigh my options. I still can return to the University of Texas depending on how things go."

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sports/2021/07/10/coronado-grad-ivan-melendez-looks-forward-2021-mlb-draft/7921831002/

Ivan should come back and play 3rd or 1st, show he can flash some leather then be like a 4th rounder next year 

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

So now that nobody from our recruiting class got drafted, including that KU transfer, we can safely assume they all make it to campus...right?

At a school like Texas, a stud baseball player might could get a NIL deal worth about as much as an udfa signing bonus, and have a much easier schedule to deal with. 

• Hook 'Em 1

One minor thing, Antico getting picked in the 7th round has to be pretty big for recruiting. “That guy probably wouldn’t have gotten drafted. He comes here and get picked in the 7th.”

edit: or at least a great pitch to grad transfers and jucos 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1