What are you, nuts?!? Have you forgotten Kirschner?!?

dcbc

Responses are unexpectedly slow.  I can count on one hand the friends I have who like this movie.  Usually, it's the friend and their spouse.

Anyway, I sent this clip to a couple we have hung out with for years, who love this movie and copied my wife on the text.

My wife's response: "The Massey prenup is impenetrable!"

/love that woman (no pics)

• Hook 'Em 1

I love love love this movie. One of my favorite Cohen films. Clooney is in masterful comedic form and CZJ is at the top of her game, just stunning. So many great lines. I have a nine hour flight later today and was looking for something to watch, might have to throw this on the iPad. 

Super underrated. 

“Objection your honor. Strangling the witness.”

”I’m going to allow it.”

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, RPM said:

You want tact, call a tactician. You want an ass nailed, you come see Gus Petch.

Literally was just posting this, lol

so I will pivot too

image.gif.e46a8b5fb3f4a6a92da7e5cdfd400498.gif

Cedric the Entertainer was awesome in this movie.  I will admit I use some Gus Petch’isms in my day to day.

totally agree it’s a very underrated movie

Edited by Incredulity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There has to be an order in the universe.  All Coen Brothers films can't be the best one.  This is not their best one, though I like it.  But that court-room scene with the hotel concierge and the Silly Man and the reporter reading back the milk bones quotes...I nearly piss myself every fucking time.  And I'm at an age where pissing myself from laughing is a real issue.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I love love love this movie. One of my favorite Cohen films. Clooney is in masterful comedic form and CZJ is at the top of her game, just stunning. So many great lines. I have a nine hour flight later today and was looking for something to watch, might have to throw this on the iPad. 

Super underrated. 

“Objection your honor. Strangling the witness.”

”I’m going to allow it.”

I'm going to respectfully disagree. To me it's not that great. It's there worst movie right behind Ladykillers. Still probably better that most crap out there though. To each his own

It's not worse, it's just if there's an order to their films as maths demand...it's down there.  But it's aged pretty well and I still get a kick out of it.  The supporting cast is what actually nails it for me since Coen Bros. movies typically rely on the main actors and their dialogue to do the heavy lifting.  

No thread derail intended, but you brought it up.  The fuck with "The Ladykillrs."  Tom Hanks and the Coen Brothers???,,, and it couldn't have sucked worse. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes, it’s entertaining.  And there doesn’t have to be a hierarchy of coen bros films.  But if such a thing were to exist; it’s at the bottom.  Still good.  But sometimes lists have a bottom.  

6 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

I'm going to respectfully disagree. To me it's not that great. It's there worst movie right behind Ladykillers. Still probably better that most crap out there though. To each his own

Username does not check out.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Yes, it’s entertaining.  And there doesn’t have to be a hierarchy of coen bros films.  But if such a thing were to exist; it’s at the bottom.  Still good.  But sometimes lists have a bottom.  

Well forgive me fo confusing, “it couldn’t have sucked worse” with praise.  Lol

8 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Well forgive me fo confusing, “it couldn’t have sucked worse” with praise.  Lol

Yeah, I guess I just meant it sucked in comparison to what the formula could have been.  To be fair, almost every one of their films holds up so beautifully decade after decade.  If we’re honest with ourselves, nostalgia plays a big part in enjoying movies from our younger days.  But their body of work is just objectively timeless.  

On 2/24/2024 at 2:55 PM, mr. sunshine said:

*their

*than

Fucking drunk posting. Got to clean it up the next day

17 hours ago, Buzzrock said:
It easily slots in above Hail, Caesar and I like it better than Burn Before Reading, Hudsucker Proxy, The Man Who Wasn’t There, and A Serious Man. 

I’m going to allow it

Edited by huge
proper quote
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The Man Who Wasn’t There,

The Man Who Wasn't There is brilliant and even more underappreciated than Intolerable Cruelty.  Yet another laugh-out-loud courtroom scene.  The pace is deliberately slow, but it's an absolutely beautiful movie.

Edited by dcbc

17 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It easily slots in above Hail, Caesar and I like it better than Burn Before Reading, Hudsucker Proxy, The Man Who Wasn’t There, and A Serious Man. 

IMPO Burn After Reading is one of CB's biggest misses.

Hail, Caesar has grown on me, as has Hudsucker Proxy.  I think I needed to be about 40 and have spent a few years in the business world to really appreciate HP, and Newman rarely if ever misses.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Hail, Caesar has grown on me, as has Hudsucker Proxy

Hail Caesar was a little too close to the vest for non-Hollywood types to understand. Hudsucker was, is, and always will be greatness. I'll stake my Pulitzer on it!

Edited by RPM

• 3 weeks later...
There has to be an order in the universe.  All Coen Brothers films can't be the best one.  This is not their best one, though I like it.  But that court-room scene with the hotel concierge and the Silly Man and the reporter reading back the milk bones quotes...I nearly piss myself every fucking time.  And I'm at an age where pissing myself from laughing is a real issue.  

• Haha 1

I like all the Coen movies except hudsucker and man that wasn’t there. I think ladykillers has some really funny stuff and I lived for a time in Jackson and know that part of Mississippi and it hits home . (Plus two great numbers by that church choir). The characters are so fucking funny.

I also like burn after reading and hail Caesar.