2024 Tropical Storm and Hurricane, or the World is going to Hell, thread.

crash_davis

Starting this thread early since it may be a glorious year for coastlines throughout the world.

We're off to an amazing start for ocean temps. In a few years, we can catch our fish pre-cooked right from the ocean.

global-sea-surface-temperatures-1984-202

sst_world-wt3_2024_d071.png

Source:

https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/t2_daily/?dm_id=world

Daily Surface temp

image.thumb.png.aecb14ad165f4eba77f3535a8f187d7b.png

Source: https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/t2_daily/?dm_id=world

• Rage+1 2

MS Copilot results. Asking about 2023 since it was higher than the previous years.

how many named hurricanes and typhoons were there in 2023?

Copilot

In 2023, a total of 78 named storms occurred across the globe. This number includes both hurricanes and typhoons. Among these storms:

Notably, the North Atlantic basin experienced 20 named storms, which was much above the average. Hurricane Idalia made landfall in the Florida Big Bend region as a major hurricane, causing widespread floodingHurricane Lee was the strongest storm in the Atlantic in 2023 and the only Category 5 storm 1.

In the East Pacific, there were 17 named storms, including 10 hurricanes (8 of which were major hurricanes)Jova became the first Category 5 storm in the East Pacific in 2023 1.

Additionally, the West Pacific basin had 17 named storms, and the North Indian basin saw 8 named storms 1.

Overall, the global accumulated cyclone energy (ACE), which integrates the strength, frequency, and duration of tropical storms, was about 8% above the 1991-2020 average 1. The 2023 season was eventful, with several intense storms impacting different regions around the world.

You
how did 2023 hurricanes and typhoon season rank in history?

Copilot

The 2023 Atlantic hurricane season was characterized by record-warm Atlantic sea surface temperatures and a strong El Niño. Here are some key points about its historical ranking:

In summary, the 2023 hurricane season was notable for its high storm count and the impact of Hurricane Idalia in the U.S. It was influenced by both warm ocean temperatures and El Niño conditions. Additionally, the Eastern Pacific basin also experienced an active season.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Can copilot convert data into chart form or is it only text based answers?

Copilot sucks.

show me the correlation between ocean water temperature and the number of category 4 and category 5 hurricanes and typhoons

Copilot

Certainly! The relationship between ocean water temperature and the intensity of hurricanes and typhoons is well-established. Here’s how it works:

1. Warmer Ocean Waters Fuel Storms:

2. Specific Effects:

3. Record High SSTs:

In summary, warmer ocean waters play a crucial role in the formation and strengthening of tropical cyclones. As climate change continues to raise ocean temperatures, the impact on storm intensity becomes increasingly significant.

3 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Haven't several big insurance companies just stopped offering insurance in florida?

Texas is starting to feel it. Buddy's daughter has a house in Alvin. Her home insurance dropped her. She's never filed a claim. She approached 3 others and they wouldn't quote her a policy. He signed her up with his insurance agent.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Texas is starting to feel it. Buddy's daughter has a house in Alvin. Her home insurance dropped her. She's never filed a claim. She approached 3 others and they wouldn't quote her a policy. He signed her up with his insurance agent.

I have a cousin in the area too that was dropped by their insurance company. It took some effort but he was able to get coverage at a much higher rate.

Edited by F250

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

I have a cousin in the area too that was dropped by their insurance company. It took some effort but he was able to get coverage at a much higher rate.

She bought her house two or three years ago for about $330k. He said that her policy premium is over $3k, which is a few hundred more than what I pay for a significantly more expensive house in Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1

She bought her house two or three years ago for about $330k. He said that her policy premium is over $3k, which is a few hundred more than what I pay for a significantly more expensive house in Austin.

To balance it out, I know of entire neighborhoods in Austin getting dropped from coverage due to fire danger. So. Yay.
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Insuring houses near the gulf coast is a losing proposition for insurance companies.  They can’t set a high enough premium to account for the risk.  TWIA exists because no insurer would willingly insure anything within 50 miles of the coast.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

35 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

To balance it out, I know of entire neighborhoods in Austin getting dropped from coverage due to fire danger. So. Yay.

Lots in south Austin and Kyle getting dropped too, particularly by Nationwide.  They’re definitely “not on your side”.  

• Haha 1