The 2024 Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup - general NHL playoffs discussion thread

9 hours ago, PhillyD said:

Rangers outmatched the Caps in every way.  We're starting to see the hints of sunset on Ovechkin's career.

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Starting to?

Ovechkin scored 31 goals this season, his 18th straight season to score at least 30.

Of course he’s competing with Father Time like everyone else.  But, he also competed without a reliable Tonto, Caps all time assists leader Nicklas Backstrom, who retired due to chronic hip injury a few games into this season.  They’ll both be in the HoF.

Hey, Cooper's being a whiny cunt!  Who saw that coming?

"Are net-front battles not allowed anymore? That's part of everybody's game. The boxing out that goes there is like prison rules in the playoffs. But it's not prison rules for the goalie? We might as well put skirts on them then, if that's how it's going to be," he said. "They have to battle through stuff too. It's a war down there. I think we're letting the goalies off the hook. And they have way more pads on than everybody else does."

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Predators, Capitals and Lightning are eliminated. Hopefully the Maple Leafs tonight. 

Man, I've always thought of the Maple Leafs as my Eastern Conference team -- great uniforms, great (albeit old) history. I was a huge Doug Gilmour fan and then Mats Sundin in the early 00's when I was actually helping cover hockey for a living. I've been waiting on their "Boston Red Sox moment" for 20+ years. But it's gotten tiresome to see the same old team year after year after year. The Leafs really are Charlie Brown trying to kick the football and I might actually be rooting for their demise tonight. I don't mind Boston and happy to see Jim Montgomery's career resurgence so I think I'm pulling for the B's.

Florida-Boston in R2 would be delightful. Rangers-Carolina on the other side and that's a hell of a East Final Four. So I'll take that -- and Dallas-Colorado, Vancouver-Edmonton in the West. I think I'd like that very much.

Edited by C-Man

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Man, I've always thought of the Maple Leafs as my Eastern Conference team -- great uniforms, great (albeit old) history. I was a huge Doug Gilmour fan and then Mats Sundin in the early 00's when I was actually helping cover hockey for a living. I've been waiting on their "Boston Red Sox moment" for 20+ years. But it's gotten tiresome to see the same old team year after year after year. The Leafs really are Charlie Brown trying to kick the football and I might actually be rooting for their demise tonight. I don't mind Boston and happy to see Jim Montgomery's career resurgence so I think I'm pulling for the B's.

Florida-Boston in R2 would be delightful. Rangers-Carolina on the other side and that's a hell of an East Final Four. So I'll take that -- and Dallas-Colorado, Vancouver-Edmonton in the West. I think I'd like that very much.

B’s fans love the continued misery. Can’t get enough of it. If there’s any fan base that deserves it, it’s Toronto. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m going to shoutout Brad Marchand. Dude has played unbelievable this series and is the personification of the Bruin’s reign over the Leafs. I know most opposing fans hate him but he’s a fucking great captain and you’d love him if he was on your top line. Tonight we step on the Leafs’ throats and end their season yet again. 

• Rage+1 1

Avs are going to be a tough out for anyone if they keep playing like they did against Winnipeg. Big Val leading all playoff goal scorers is a good thing. When he's humming, the team is humming.

Well, this would be kind of catastrophic if this Boston group went out in R1 two years in a row after posting 245 combined points the past two seasons. Could Monty get booted if they lose G7?

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

Well, this would be kind of catastrophic if this Boston group went out in R1 two years in a row after posting 245 combined points the past two seasons.

Yes, that would be such a shame.  Especially with Jack Edwards retiring.

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

Well, this would be kind of catastrophic if this Boston group went out in R1 two years in a row after posting 245 combined points the past two seasons. Could Monty get booted if they lose G7?

Yeah, not sure you survive losing 7 straight opportunities to advance to the 2nd round in a hockey market like Boston.  His job probably on the line.

16 hours ago, C-Man said:

possibly, but if that happens and Dallas advances - damn, did we actually dodge a bullet with Monty? I like him and think he's a phenomenal coach. but yeah, losing two series in a row where you were up 3-1 would be pretty hard to tolerate as a organization.

had this one typed up earlier and forgot to submit