Quick passport renewal

I need to travel at the end of June and my passport has expired.  It's within the "15-year from issue" window.  If I expedite through the US State Department, I can theoretically get it in less than 8 weeks + shipping, which is cutting it close.

Any recs on other expeditors and their cost?  I'm in Austin.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I need to travel at the end of June and my passport has expired.  It's within the "15-year from issue" window.  If I expedite through the US State Department, I can theoretically get it in less than 8 weeks + shipping, which is cutting it close.

Any recs on other expeditors and their cost?  I'm in Austin.

Drive to Houston to do it in person 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we've used these guys before.  https://www.austinpassport.com/ got the job done but it wasn't cheap.  fwiw we renewed ours the regular way just under a month ago and the lady said they were taking about 5 weeks at that time. it's week 4 today so we'll see.

Looks like the added fee is $125 over the $190 "government fee", which seems OK if in fact the government fee is legit.  Was that what you paid for the normal route?  

Posted (edited)

I did not expedite anything end of February. Received in their system 2/28. I had the new passport in my hand 3/25. a coworker had to expedite, and just went normal expedited route and had hers back in 2 weeks.

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Apparently you can’t do this unless you are inside of 3 weeks of travel date. 

True. But you can book a refundable plane ticket to do this process, then cancel the ticket. Had a buddy that has done it before.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Looks like the added fee is $125 over the $190 "government fee", which seems OK if in fact the government fee is legit.  Was that what you paid for the normal route?  

we paid $135 per person for normal process ($100 to US Dpt of State, $35 to the post office).  i don't know what the dpt of state's fee is for expedited. 

2 hours ago, immamac said:

@jimmyjazz

https://www.co.lampasas.tx.us/page/lampasas.District.Clerk

Go here when they are open, walk in, walk out, eat lunch and drive home. 

Does every county court house have a passport office?  I just looked on the website for my county court house and did not see anything about a passport office.

I live in a more rural county, so it would not totally surprise me if not every county court house has a passport office.

I need to update my passport but I have no travel plans so this is not anything I need to do right away, but it is something I've been meaning to do and have been unable to overcome my inherent laziness.

3 hours ago, immamac said:

@jimmyjazz

https://www.co.lampasas.tx.us/page/lampasas.District.Clerk

Go here when they are open, walk in, walk out, eat lunch and drive home. 

UT international office does everything this office does. (And as @locodos says, so does your post office). I got my pic taken at the international office, but didn’t use them for anything else (I work at UT, and at the time they were temporarily located in Main, where my office is. Just filled out and printed out the forms online).

5 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

UT international office does everything this office does. (And as @locodos says, so does your post office). I got my pic taken at the international office, but didn’t use them for anything else (I work at UT, and at the time they were temporarily located in Main, where my office is. Just filled out and printed out the forms online).

Yeah, but the lines for those are insane and often 3+ hours 

12 minutes ago, ScottS said:

Does every county court house have a passport office?  I just looked on the website for my county court house and did not see anything about a passport office.

I live in a more rural county, so it would not totally surprise me if not every county court house has a passport office.

I need to update my passport but I have no travel plans so this is not anything I need to do right away, but it is something I've been meaning to do and have been unable to overcome my inherent laziness.

No they do not. We found out about the lampassas thing when we were trying to get my newborn the passport before he was 3 months old to go to Mexico 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Yeah, but the lines for those are insane and often 3+ hours 

International Office went to appointment only. When I got my photo taken in January, I booked my appointment 15 minutes before. I cannot speak to the PO. I assume you are likely correct.

On 4/22/2024 at 8:37 PM, UnivTex34 said:

International Office went to appointment only. When I got my photo taken in January, I booked my appointment 15 minutes before. I cannot speak to the PO. I assume you are likely correct.

Yep, there are plenty appointments for tomorrow.  They also changed their name to Texas Global 5 years ago, so if you look for the international office you may not find it.