No mo' peanuts on SWA

Doze

On 7/31/2018 at 3:54 PM, Ghost of LL said:

I'm curious about this, too.  I'm skeptical of both explanations.  There may be a higher prevalance.  But at the same time, I suspect that in the good-old-days, a lot of people who have severe peanut allergies just lived as hermits and you never heard about them.

That was very considerate of them.  MN--have you considered the life of a hermit for your kid?  I mean, it worked out really well for St. Jerome. 

Peanut allergy is dramatically on the rise.  https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/as-peanut-allergies-rise-trying-to-determine-a-cause/

It appears that recommendations for avoiding prenatal consumption of peanuts has fomented peanut allergies and that prenatal consumption of peanut products is important to avoiding the allergy.

On 7/31/2018 at 3:54 PM, Ghost of LL said:

I'm curious about this, too.  I'm skeptical of both explanations.  There may be a higher prevalance.  But at the same time, I suspect that in the good-old-days, a lot of people who have severe peanut allergies just lived as hermits and you never heard about them.

That was very considerate of them.  MN--have you considered the life of a hermit for your kid?  I mean, it worked out really well for St. Jerome. 

Peanut allergy is dramatically on the rise.  https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/as-peanut-allergies-rise-trying-to-determine-a-cause/

It appears that recommendations for avoiding prenatal consumption of peanuts has fomented peanut allergies and that prenatal consumption of peanut products is important to avoiding the allergy.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

User name checks out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

A few worthless thoughts:

1. After being denied peanuts on a couple consecutive flights last year, I sought out data on the frequency of adverse events on flights related to allergens. It was something like 1/10,000 people with severe allergies (so like 0.00000000001% of the population?) ever reported anything, and instances where it was reported it was usually a kid stealing and eating someone else’s peanuts or eating some food they bought in the terminal that they didn’t know contained their allergen of choice. Very low risk overall. 

2. Before Peanut Ban 2018, did flight attendants wipe down all seats and trays with bleach between flights to remove residual peanut debris from previous passengers? Did the airlines do full body and cavity searches to make sure no passengers carried peanuts or other foods containing allergens on to a plane? Will they now?

3. Something is definitely out of whack with the number of people claiming “severe” peanut and other allergies the past few years. The incidence may very will be increasing (interesting debate for sure), but I also think there are others who exaggerate their condition, may be having their kids provocatively avoiding, or flat out lying for sympathy/drama. If someone’s allergies were truly so severe that a waft of peanut coming from 3 rows away on a plane would kill you, you should be wearing a fucking mask. Actually you should be avoiding public transportation all together, for the reasons listed in #2 above. Not being an ass, I would be extremely concerned about your safety if it’s truly that life threatening.

4. I am not being dramatic. Sunflower butter is nowhere as good as peanut butter. We have tried 3 different brands. Turkey bacon is not bacon. Soy frozen yogurt is not ice cream. It’s a substitute you can live with, but don’t act like it’s not a sacrifice or inferior option. 

My infant son has a classmate that is 14 mos. old and allegedly allergic to: peanuts, pine nuts, soy, all forms of dairy, cinnamon, and anything derived from peppers or legumes. Are you fucking kidding me? How did they diagnose this when he was 6-12 months old? The parents seemed kind of uppity about it too in how they informed the teachers and administrators after he enrolled but before the semester began. I feel bad for that kid though, what a fucking dietarily wrecked life. So now we are planning lunches and snacks for a 13 mo. old that cannot contain any derivatives of any nuts, peppers, or cinnamon, and have to clearly mark food that contains dairy (uhhh milk? these are little kids) or soy so our kids can be seated opposite of this hyper allergic kid. 

TwiceHorn’s double post has me grateful I exposed my son to peanut butter at 6 months, but now I’m nervous because he hasn’t had shellfish yet (his mother is moderately allergic) and I need someone to share my love of shrimp and crawfish with damn it. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

A few worthless thoughts:
1. After being denied peanuts on a couple consecutive flights last year, I sought out data on the frequency of adverse events on flights related to allergens. It was something like 1/10,000 people with severe allergies (so like 0.00000000001% of the population?) ever reported anything, and instances where it was reported it was usually a kid stealing and eating someone else’s peanuts or eating some food they bought in the terminal that they didn’t know contained their allergen of choice. Very low risk overall. 
2. Before Peanut Ban 2018, did flight attendants wipe down all seats and trays with bleach between flights to remove residual peanut debris from previous passengers? Did the airlines do full body and cavity searches to make sure no passengers carried peanuts or other foods containing allergens on to a plane? Will they now?
3. Something is definitely out of whack with the number of people claiming “severe” peanut and other allergies the past few years. The incidence may very will be increasing (interesting debate for sure), but I also think there are others who exaggerate their condition, may be having their kids provocatively avoiding, or flat out lying for sympathy/drama. If someone’s allergies were truly so severe that a waft of peanut coming from 3 rows away on a plane would kill you, you should be wearing a fucking mask. Actually you should be avoiding public transportation all together, for the reasons listed in #2 above. Not being an ass, I would be extremely concerned about your safety if it’s truly that life threatening.
4. I am not being dramatic. Sunflower butter is nowhere as good as peanut butter. We have tried 3 different brands. Turkey bacon is not bacon. Soy frozen yogurt is not ice cream. It’s a substitute you can live with, but don’t act like it’s not a sacrifice or inferior option. 
My infant son has a classmate that is 14 mos. old and allegedly allergic to: peanuts, pine nuts, soy, all forms of dairy, cinnamon, and anything derived from peppers or legumes. Are you fucking kidding me? How did they diagnose this when he was 6-12 months old? The parents seemed kind of uppity about it too in how they informed the teachers and administrators after he enrolled but before the semester began. I feel bad for that kid though, what a fucking dietarily wrecked life. So now we are planning lunches and snacks for a 13 mo. old that cannot contain any derivatives of any nuts, peppers, or cinnamon, and have to clearly mark food that contains dairy (uhhh milk? these are little kids) or soy so our kids can be seated opposite of this hyper allergic kid. 
TwiceHorn’s double post has me grateful I exposed my son to peanut butter at 6 months, but now I’m nervous because he hasn’t had shellfish yet (his mother is moderately allergic) and I need someone to share my love of shrimp and crawfish with damn it. 
It's tough. at 6 months some people take their kids to get blood tested or skin pricked for top 8 allergens. Sometimes it's a false positive meaning you test positive but ingestion without any allergic symptoms trump those tests.

I've never heard of anyone allegedly faking a peanut allergy. If you're allergic to peanuts, you're allergic to fucking peanuts. Parents are allowed to preboard flights to wipe down areas with Clorox wipes.

On 8/2/2018 at 9:48 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Thats not a true story. Kringlebert Mcshiftypants on page 1 said sunbutter and peanut butter taste NOTHING alike and any kid should be able to notice the discreet difference. especially by age 5.

I’m sorry your genetic line contains so many significant defects to create such a philistine palate. Although, it would go a long way to explain the cuisine of the Upper Midwest.

You can still bring your own.  They just won't be served by Southwest.  It's more of a liability thing.  It has been the policy for years to not serve peanuts if the FAs know there is an allergic passenger one board.  They learned a while back not to make a big deal about it with announcements and to just quietly serve the pretzels with no mention of peanuts on those flights.  But there were still complaints.  Some airlines let passengers with allergies preboard so they can wipe down the seat and tray (not sure why they can only do that during preboarding). SWA doesn't want to disrupt the boarding process any more than it already is with wheelchairs, kids, etc..  And they don't want the liability.  
Me personally, I like the Veggie Wheat Thins better anyway.

I'm guessing it's so they can rush the person to medical attention if they start having a reaction.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 12:56 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

It's tough. at 6 months some people take their kids to get blood tested or skin pricked for top 8 allergens. Sometimes it's a false positive meaning you test positive but ingestion without any allergic symptoms trump those tests.

I've never heard of anyone allegedly faking a peanut allergy. If you're allergic to peanuts, you're allergic to fucking peanuts. Parents are allowed to preboard flights to wipe down areas with Clorox wipes.

apparently the skin/blood tests are hugely inaccurate

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/tree-nut-allergies-may-be-massively-overdiagnosed-180962927/

Southwest Airlines were actually helping these biological weaklings.
Mithridatism is the practice of protecting oneself against a poison by gradually self-administering non-lethal amounts. The word is derived from  Mithridates VI, the King of Pontus, who so feared being poisoned that he regularly ingested small doses, aiming to develop immunity.
Hormesis is any process in a cell or organism that exhibits a biphasic response to exposure to increasing amounts of a substance or condition.[1] Within the hormetic zone there is generally a favorable biological response to low exposures to toxins and other stressors.

d694d20fd4fd7c050a757aaeb4587e9d.jpg