No mo' peanuts on SWA

Doze

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

MN--have you considered the life of a hermit for your kid?

I think about it for myself every week, especially when "that" client walks in the office. I think this is worth looking into MN.

Edited by SimonBolivar

5 minutes ago, OrangEngr said:

How about instead of going after us “natural dipshits”, you instead go after the “all-natural dipshits” who overreact to everything and Pretend they are intolerant to everything on the planet and have put such a boy who cried wolf into all this crap that no one believes anyone who is actually allergic

i have no idea what the hell you just typed. yes theres a major difference between food allergies/people with celiac disease and those who say theyre gluten free to say theyre gluten free. if you had any ounce of a clue of what you are even adding to this conversation, you would see why im calling some of you dipshits. 

11 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

I didn’t tell him.  He isn’t really a picky eater on anything else.  He came back home and called me on it.

They absolutely do not taste the same.  So he stopped taking them to day care.

I’m sorry your kid can’t be around them, but don’t claim something that simply isn’t true because you don’t think it’s a big deal for other people to adapt to your child’s needs.

LOL. Sunbutter is a top 8 allergen free solution to PB, its not going to taste EXACTLY like PB, but its close. have you tried Wowbutter? if not give it a whirl.

Thoughts and prayers to teach your kid on how to accommodate to others with deadly food allergies. Maybe use it good teaching lesson to him about life instead of "what the hell can my kid eat???" When hes older, show him how this girl died from eating a chips ahoy cookie because the boxing is the same as what is normally a safe chips ahoy...but this was laced with reeses pieces.

10 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

i have no idea what the hell you just typed. yes theres a major difference between food allergies/people with celiac disease and those who say theyre gluten free to say theyre gluten free. if you had any ounce of a clue of what you are even adding to this conversation, you would see why im calling some of you dipshits. 

It's ironic that you're calling us dipshits when you're the one who took seriously a post that involved smearing peanut butter on an infant's face.  

6 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

It's ironic that you're calling us dipshits when you're the one who took seriously a post that involved smearing peanut butter on an infant's face.  

you should try it, seriously. we can all hope for hives, puking and shortage of air!

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

The peanut allergy situation is indeed starting to get out of hand for two reasons. 

One, there are many people with claimed food allergies or intolerance which is completely lacking in medical facts. Case in point : gluten. A lot of self-diagnosis out there.

That said, while I believe there is a particular hysteria with nut allergy, it is indeed on the rise. There's a body of evidence that it's been a bit fueled by long-time medical advice to not 'challenge' young children or infants with things such as peanuts or even milk or eggs, let alone shellfish, soy or wheat. If there is genetic evidence in the family then, sure, introduce with caution. But the number of people with actual predilection for food allergies is very small.

It turns out that depriving children of these food allergens during a crucial time when their immune system is defining what are 'good' and 'bad' allergens may cause more problems than it tried to fix. There a really great study from Israel which showed that early introduction of these allergens had a great impact on reducing the likelihood of developing the allergy. 

There's a ton of immune cells in your gut, which is an area bathed in helpful and harmful bacteria, as well as being constantly exposed to proteins which might prompt an immune response. If you only get exposed to peanuts later in life, the thought is that there's a greater likelihood you'll develop an allergy since your immune system never learned it's just part of the normal diet. 

Some cool clinical trials where they are purifying these proteins and trying to desensitize people, with a few biotechs working on this. The studies are trying to help people whose goal is not to eat a Snickers some day, but just not go into anaphylaxis in case they ingest a minuscule accidental amount. 

Goddamn right. But if you look at the people who are really debilitated by this, they are often reactive to something as small as 1/6000th of a peanut. That said, there's some published work out there with therapy a handful of nuts is tolerable. 

34 minutes ago, Txzen said:

The peanut allergy situation is indeed starting to get out of hand for two reasons. 

One, there are many people with claimed food allergies or intolerance which is completely lacking in medical facts. Case in point : gluten. A lot of self-diagnosis out there.

That said, while I believe there is a particular hysteria with nut allergy, it is indeed on the rise. There's a body of evidence that it's been a bit fueled by long-time medical advice to not 'challenge' young children or infants with things such as peanuts or even milk or eggs, let alone shellfish, soy or wheat. If there is genetic evidence in the family then, sure, introduce with caution. But the number of people with actual predilection for food allergies is very small.

It turns out that depriving children of these food allergens during a crucial time when their immune system is defining what are 'good' and 'bad' allergens may cause more problems than it tried to fix. There a really great study from Israel which showed that early introduction of these allergens had a great impact on reducing the likelihood of developing the allergy. 

There's a ton of immune cells in your gut, which is an area bathed in helpful and harmful bacteria, as well as being constantly exposed to proteins which might prompt an immune response. If you only get exposed to peanuts later in life, the thought is that there's a greater likelihood you'll develop an allergy since your immune system never learned it's just part of the normal diet. 

Some cool clinical trials where they are purifying these proteins and trying to desensitize people, with a few biotechs working on this. The studies are trying to help people whose goal is not to eat a Snickers some day, but just not go into anaphylaxis in case they ingest a minuscule accidental amount. 

i started reading about oral immunotherapy for a while now. interesting that some allergists approve this and others dont believe in it. Also its not been approved by the CDC. Im in an OIT group on FB, tons of stories in it about kids that gradually are able to tolerate 24 peanuts/day after previously reacting. the medical advances between 2016, and now with more OIT research, patches, pills in 2018, gives me hope that therell be a formidable cure.

Our 3 y/o we feel is still too young to verbally tell us if shes feeling sick or not, and we're giving her a chance to outgrow it since her first initial blood test showed a low IGE(antibodies) score. heres to hoping. 

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

I'm an immunologist by training (not MD) so I have some strong feelings on the matter as the biology is pretty clear to me. Also you mean approval by the FDA (not CDC). There are clinical trials published an ongoing, and trust me that none of those get started without heavy scrutiny by the FDA, particularly when children are on the trial. The cutoff on many of those trials is age 4. About 20% seem unable to tolerate the OIT from the published work

Aimmune is shooting for 2018 approval in the US, 2019 abroad : https://www.ft.com/content/17cd58b0-165d-11e8-9e9c-25c814761640

1 hour ago, Txzen said:

I'm an immunologist by training (not MD) so I have some strong feelings on the matter as the biology is pretty clear to me. Also you mean approval by the FDA (not CDC). There are clinical trials published an ongoing, and trust me that none of those get started without heavy scrutiny by the FDA, particularly when children are on the trial. The cutoff on many of those trials is age 4. About 20% seem unable to tolerate the OIT from the published work

Aimmune is shooting for 2018 approval in the US, 2019 abroad : https://www.ft.com/content/17cd58b0-165d-11e8-9e9c-25c814761640

good info. i cant click the link. dont subscribe to FT. i read people reading about ggetting their kids checked in at 2 or 3 and i just shake my head. wtf is the rush? just avoid until 5 yrs old and see if they out grow naturally

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

good info. i cant click the link. dont subscribe to FT. i read people reading about ggetting their kids checked in at 2 or 3 and i just shake my head. wtf is the rush? just avoid until 5 yrs old and see if they out grow naturally

BugEyes_Caddyshack1.gif

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 1

I had that sunflower shit that came in my snack pack and I didn't know that it is a peanut substitute. I liked it well enough but I"m not a big fan of peanut butter. If I were and this was to be a substitute, I would have hated it. Tastes good with apples but it is kind of bland and frankly, not worth the calories.

4 hours ago, Txzen said:

Goddamn right. But if you look at the people who are really debilitated by this, they are often reactive to something as small as 1/6000th of a peanut. That said, there's some published work out there with therapy a handful of nuts is tolerable. 

Hehe. Handful of nuts 

Southwest Airlines were actually helping these biological weaklings.

Mithridatism is the practice of protecting oneself against a poison by gradually self-administering non-lethal amounts. The word is derived from  Mithridates VI, the King of Pontus, who so feared being poisoned that he regularly ingested small doses, aiming to develop immunity.

Hormesis is any process in a cell or organism that exhibits a biphasic response to exposure to increasing amounts of a substance or condition.[1] Within the hormetic zone there is generally a favorable biological response to low exposures to toxins and other stressors.

Oh good. This argument made its way over here from Shaggy.

First of all, there's a big difference between an allergy that, say, causes a rash and an allergy that, say, causes almost immediate death.  My son has/had both.  For the first two years of his life, he had to wear socks on his hands at night because he would scratch himself bloody from the skin rashes.  We (and the allergist) have done everything to remedy the non life-threatening allergies.  At this point, he has outlived the minor allergies that caused the rashes (eggs, wheat), though he thinks anything bread-like tastes disgusting because he only recently started eating it.

As per the nuts.  Yes, he still scores at the top of the scale per this allergy.  Meaning, if he accidentally ingests any type of tree nut, he could die.  I don't understand why some of y'all think it's a testament to his future manhood or think having an allergy means he's a pussy.  I also don't understand how making accommodations to a possible life/death situation can be such an inconvenience that some of y'all have to make jokes about the deaths of children, genetic inferiority, etc...  Talk about being a pussy.

46 minutes ago, Doze said:

41b49edc7addd3ea589ae19f6cf7770f.jpg

Peanuts are actually not a true nut, but a legume (in the same family as peas and lentils). But the proteins in peanuts are similar in structure to those in tree nuts. For this reason, people who are allergic to peanuts also can be allergic to tree nuts, such as almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, pistachios, pecans, and cashews.

2 hours ago, Doze said:

Southwest Airlines were actually helping these biological weaklings.

Mithridatism is the practice of protecting oneself against a poison by gradually self-administering non-lethal amounts. The word is derived from  Mithridates VI, the King of Pontus, who so feared being poisoned that he regularly ingested small doses, aiming to develop immunity.

"I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder."

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I also don't understand how making accommodations to a possible life/death situation can be such an inconvenience that some of y'all have to make jokes about the deaths of children, genetic inferiority, etc...  Talk about being a pussy.

Here’s the issue (and this is coming from a father of a son with an sever allergy to shellfish)

Now I get that a severe peanut allergy is not a laughing matter but the issues is the peanut allergy brigade wants everything to accommodate to them.  Their child(ren) is(are) the most important thing to protect (as they should be) and they get lost in that mindset so much so that they get offended when life isn’t made easy for them.  The world isn’t safe and expecting everything you kid does to be safe is unrealistic.

My child’s daycare is completely peanut free.  His future school is peanut free.  Most children play gyms we’ve been forced to go to for birthday parties are peanut free.  Southwest Airlines is now peanut free.  I’ve seen petitions to get entire professional baseball stadiums (not just sections or special days) to be declared peanuts free and IIRC I’ve seen both lawsuits and petitions to stop Texas Roadhouse from serving peanuts.  I can understand young daycare but by the time your kid is able to wipe their own ass they should also know not to each a Snickers or Reese’s.  Banning peanuts from gradeschool is dumb.  And the rest of the list (including SWA) is simply trying to force their parental responsibility on society to make their own lives easier.  It would be like an alcoholic wanting all alcohol banned from the state to assist them with their sobriety.

Let’s take the Southwest example.  Say you want to go on a trip from Austin to Dallas then you shouldn’t be taking Southwest (before this) because everyone knows that they serve peanuts, pay the extra money and take American or Delta or call the airlines ahead of time and see if they have a peanut free flight option (that used to be thing but people rarely used it and most people just did exactly what I describe below) or drive, or charter a private plane, but that’s not what most people do.  Most people go ahead buy the cheaper flight without doing any of the above and then show up at the airport and then force all 200+ other passengers/crew on the flight to accommodate them because it’s a life/death situation for their kid.  The only person prior to that day that knew your child might have been put into a life/death situation was you, and instead of doing one of the above options (that might have inconvenienced you or your family for the safety of your child) you chose to simply show up and expect everyone to accommodate you on a whim.

Not saying this is what you do, but it is the perception of the peanut allergy parents and that is why people are annoyed and make insensitive jokes because its simply an easier target than explaining this in detail every time.

• Like 7

Our kids' school went peanut free a few years back, the same year our youngest boy began going there. His older brother ate peanut butter sandwiches like they were fucking candy, for some reason, so the youngest was bragging about he was finally going to get to take his peanut butter sandwich lunch to school, just like his older brother. So when the nut ban came down, we switched to sunflower butter or some shit, and didn't tell him because we knew he would refuse to eat it. 

First day of school he shows up with his sunflower sandwich and starts bragging to his buddies that he gets to eat peanut butter for lunch.

I get called and have to talk down the vice principal from the hitting the big red panic button.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:10 PM, Longhornfan1024 said:

I don't think he's calling all of you dipshits. I'm pretty sure he's calling some of you self centered pieces of shit.

• Haha 1

You can still bring your own.  They just won't be served by Southwest.  It's more of a liability thing.  It has been the policy for years to not serve peanuts if the FAs know there is an allergic passenger one board.  They learned a while back not to make a big deal about it with announcements and to just quietly serve the pretzels with no mention of peanuts on those flights.  But there were still complaints.  Some airlines let passengers with allergies preboard so they can wipe down the seat and tray (not sure why they can only do that during preboarding). SWA doesn't want to disrupt the boarding process any more than it already is with wheelchairs, kids, etc..  And they don't want the liability.  

Me personally, I like the Veggie Wheat Thins better anyway.

I can understand young daycare but by the time your kid is able to wipe their own ass they should also know not to each a Snickers or Reese’s.  Banning peanuts from gradeschool is dumb

Completely wrong.  It's not about the child gladly accepting a snickers from a friend; it's about accidentally coming into contact with the food.  Have you ever seen a grade school cafeteria post-lunch?  It's a cesspool.  A child with a nut allergy can easily come into contact with an allergen - especially if over half the kids in the cafeteria are eating PB&J.  From about the age of 3, my kid wouldn't touch food from another child or adult unless it was ok'd by my wife or me.

As per the rest...  Of course their are extremes within this "community".  I'm not going to defend those that go out of their way to try to make everyone miserable.   Those like the "keep Texas Roadhouse peanut-free" types are just looking for attention.  They're the same as the 10% or so that think the Earth is flat or the militant women that will go out of their way to let everyone know they're breast feeding in public so that they can throw a fit if someone complains.

I think the issue is that we're a society that judges an issue based on the loudest, most extreme members of said groups.  I mentioned breast feeding.  I'm sure 98% of women that feel the need to breast feed outside of the home are perfectly polite and discreet.  However, they are judged by the 1-2% that have to shove it in your face.  Same with parents that are concerned about allergies.  Most of us don't look to throw the cause in your face and make you change your dietary habits.  We just know how easily a small amount of a product can turn deadly to our child(ren).

• Like 1

Someone else's child is not my fucking problem, and if they're endangered it's the parent's fault and no one else's.  

If you expect others to change their behavior to accommodate your decision to reproduce then please go fuck your self.

My favorite place in Austin is the yard bar for 3 reasons:

1. dog park with booze

2. 21 and up so no fucking kids allowed

3. great place to meet single hot young women.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Someone else's child is not my fucking problem, and if they're endangered it's the parent's fault and no one else's.  

If you expect others to change their behavior to accommodate your decision to reproduce then please go fuck your self.

My favorite place in Austin is the yard bar for 3 reasons:

1. dog park with booze

2. 21 and up so no fucking kids allowed

3. great place to meet single hot young women.

4. go home drunk, with my dog only and horny af

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Our kids' school went peanut free a few years back, the same year our youngest boy began going there. His older brother ate peanut butter sandwiches like they were fucking candy, for some reason, so the youngest was bragging about he was finally going to get to take his peanut butter sandwich lunch to school, just like his older brother. So when the nut ban came down, we switched to sunflower butter or some shit, and didn't tell him because we knew he would refuse to eat it. 

First day of school he shows up with his sunflower sandwich and starts bragging to his buddies that he gets to eat peanut butter for lunch.

I get called and have to talk down the vice principal from the hitting the big red panic button.

Thats not a true story. Kringlebert Mcshiftypants on page 1 said sunbutter and peanut butter taste NOTHING alike and any kid should be able to notice the discreet difference. especially by age 5.

btw, have you tried sunbutter crunch? its the bomb

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

20 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

For this reason, people who are allergic to peanuts also can be allergic to tree nuts, such as almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, pistachios, pecans, and cashews.

31RjVDw.gif

Edited by Txzen