The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

Love the shots Anton. Especially if your dog. Sharp and great tones with awesome depth of field. I looked a bit at the Mamiya, but I think the Bronica is the way to go for me...I think.

The 6x7 format is my favorite format. I know I’ve spouted this off before, but its insane the film camera market now, especially medium format. I used to kick the idea of RZ67 II around when they were on Craigslist for $650. Now they’re 3x.

I have a Pentax 67 and a mamiya 645. The Pentax you could use as a weapon if need be. It’s a solid beast.

Ive been watching hasselblads on eBay, something like the h4 and H5 series. You can use both film and Digi backs on those.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I have a Mamiya RB67. I haven’t used it a ton cause it is pretty bulky, but it is awesome.

Naija has one or two. I think a Fuji rangefinder and maybe a Mamiya RZ? I can’t remember.

Looking back, I don’t have any meaningful shots with it. Pretty much all of them are test shots, to test my film backs and experiment with close focusing and exploring the camera. I brought it to Utah last year and tried some Velvia 50, but I didn’t get good results from that.

Here’s a few boring photos (sorry). I missed focus on some these too, since it can be tricky on the RB, and the lenses have a ring on the front for a floating element that I sometimes forget to adjust for maximum sharpness. These can have incredibly thin DoF so you gotta be careful. I need to use the thing more.

49532562187_b7387ab5e3_o.jpg

49531833588_1b69de871d_o.jpg

49532558847_b59f20f937_o.jpg

49532327986_77853729ce_o.jpg

49799869653_0d1f171813_o.jpg

49800417476_9a28f6fee5_o.jpg

Tank.

c801be94d54a23d8e6e5565eda8155a3.jpg

Even your test shots are gorgeous. That's a big honkin' camera. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Anyone shooting medium format?  I am considering buying a Bronica GS-1 when finances stabilize.  Experiences?

I have a Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s and Fuji GF670.

Still considering getting a Pentax 67/Hasselblad 500 series/Rolleiflex as well (sell the Fuji for this). Because I want something in that portable range but with a more classic film look than the Fuji gives.

Best of the bunch is the Mamiya RZ67. I mostly use this for taking pictures of the family however. I've posted some travel pics of the Fuji GF670 before. The look of Medium Format Film is real (moreso with the RZ67). It doesn't always turn out great, but when it does, it is just hard to beat.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nycHorn said:

The 6x7 format is my favorite format. I know I’ve spouted this off before, but its insane the film camera market now, especially medium format. I used to kick the idea of RZ67 II around when they were on Craigslist for $650. Now they’re 3x.

I have a Pentax 67 and a mamiya 645. The Pentax you could use as a weapon if need be. It’s a solid beast.

Ive been watching hasselblads on eBay, something like the h4 and H5 series. You can use both film and Digi backs on those.

yes, when I think what I should have bought when I first got into these I want to cry. Could have done the Pentax 67ii and a Rolleiflex at that time.

Honestly, if I could do it all again, I would have gone all in for film then: bought a scanner, enlarger etc...

Bronica is a good option. This guy used one extensively, and I like his photography

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

49531833588_1b69de871d_o.jpg

this is sort of shot that shows what film can do and for me that is save you ungodly amounts of time you can spend in post-processing. especially when it comes to portraits. not that it is impossible to achieve with digital, it just sometimes takes a lot of work and still ends up not looking quite how you want it.

if anything, I'm starting to come away from wanting to process my digital files to look like film. even with presets, can just end up frustrating.

• Like 1

Still not back in the groove yet, but here are a few to get me on the board.

redshouldered.jpg

pinesiskin.jpg

chippingbranch.jpg

hermitthrush.jpg

eaglejuv.jpg

This one is kind of crappy cell phone pic but it may be a record for capturing the closest proximity between a longhorn cow's nostrils and a ruby-crowned kinglet.

kingletcow.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

Anton and Naija not helping my desire to wait to buy a medium format.  Now I am back on the fence as to which one I want.

Great shots Doug.  Always bring it.

Well, today was a very good day.  I'll try to just post the highlights.  I also got back the roll of Ferrania P30.  I was shocked by the contrast.  Some shots was way too much for me.  Perhaps there was some user error?  Alright, here we go...(shit, I will have to post a few others in another post, this is way too much, sorry).

Ferrania:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Today's shots:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

Nice! And yeah, Ferrania is super high contrast defined, for sure. I will probably expose for a lighter gray when I shoot it next (somewhat limited on the in-camera meter, though).

Meant to ask; are you using a CP on the sky in your shots that feature a lot of it (where it shows up very dark)?

2 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Nice! And yeah, Ferrania is super high contrast defined, for sure. I will probably expose for a lighter gray when I shoot it next (somewhat limited on the in-camera meter, though).

Meant to ask; are you using a CP on the sky in your shots that feature a lot of it (where it shows up very dark)?

Thanks.  Yeah, I have one roll left of Ferrania, and will definitely expose for a touch less contrast.  Some shots I really loved, others it was just too much.

I love black skies in B&W photos.  Sometimes a red filter in photo shop is enough.  But other times I will drop all the blues out.  That is at least how I do it, there is probably a better way.

• Like 1

Thanks.  Yeah, I have one roll left of Ferrania, and will definitely expose for a touch less contrast.  Some shots I really loved, others it was just too much.
I love black skies in B&W photos.  Sometimes a red filter in photo shop is enough.  But other times I will drop all the blues out.  That is at least how I do it, there is probably a better way.

That makes sense. Easy to do it in post and not have to worry about it in the field. Nothing wrong with that at all. Different means to the same end.

I always forget about colored filters.

Just now, Anton Chigurh said:

That makes sense. Easy to do it in post and not have to worry about it in the field. Nothing wrong with that at all. Different means to the same end.

I always forget about colored filters.

I have a red filter.  Two of those Ferrania shots I used it on, but they came out very foggy.  They are the only ones that I edited.  I also have been using it with my pinhole.  I have a feeling most of these pinhole shots won't amount to shit...again.

• Like 1

Fuck...now I am trying to decide between the Bronica GS-1 and a Pentex 7x6.  Good thing I can't buy one now or I would be in a real bad situation.  Goddamn, I love photography.  As much as digital and instagram has seemed to ruin the medium, I still can't stop.  I wish I could make a living from my photos (not wedding and event).  There is so much in the world to see and capture. Salud amigos.

Part II

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Fuck...now I am trying to decide between the Bronica GS-1 and a Pentex 7x6.  Good thing I can't buy one now or I would be in a real bad situation.  Goddamn, I love photography.  As much as digital and instagram has seemed to ruin the medium, I still can't stop.  I wish I could make a living from my photos (not wedding and event).  There is so much in the world to see and capture. Salud amigos.
Part II
51007877101_016f3dde2d_b.jpg
51007879646_3e162eb257_b.jpg
51007166193_17851b4b00_b.jpg
51007980992_8e1ef3d030_b.jpg
51007981787_35b065f153_b.jpg
51007981342_d97298a031_b.jpg
51007586151_a87a51d5af_b.jpg
51006877968_3d0ffc4123_b.jpg
51007692172_933bc945b7_b.jpg

There are websites like KitSplit and ShareGrid that you can rent cameras/lenses/lighting from people that own these cameras. Maybe rent and give them both a test drive?

There are websites like KitSplit and ShareGrid that you can rent cameras/lenses/lighting from people that own these cameras. Maybe rent and give them both a test drive?

I went and looked at those sites and didn’t see either of the cameras I am curious about. But yeah, ideally I will be able to rent or borrow one or both.

Have you had any issues with your Pentex?

The Pentax 67 and 6x7 are generally speaking less of a risk than the 67ii because servicing and parts are less difficult to do if I recall correctly. They are also cheaper. You have to pay attention to exactly which version of the Pentax you will be getting and same goes with the must get lens that goes with that camera, the 105mm f/2.4

• Like 1

Took the kayak down to bastrop yesterday to try and do a little fishing. No luck finding fish so I decided to paddle around a bit, then came across the remnants of these two. Have heard lots of stories of bucks getting locked up; pretty neat to come across it in the wild. 20210306_153713.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

Have you had any issues with your Pentex?

I have not. It’s a pretty simple beast but it is a beast. That mirror slaps when you press the shutter. There are many versions of this camera, Asahi, which is what I have. But there is Honeywell, a 67, a 6x7 and honestly I have no idea of the differences.
I have the wooden handle and although its on the same side as your focusing hand, I like having it on.
  • Like 1

Took the kayak down to bastrop yesterday to try and do a little fishing. No luck finding fish so I decided to paddle around a bit, then came across the remnants of these two. Have heard lots of stories of bucks getting locked up; pretty neat to come across it in the wild. 20210306_153713.thumb.jpg.75689ca7f2d27d53ca25a5dc51dd7dcf.jpg

Damn! Pretty good bucks for this area.
Shame to see
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have not. It’s a pretty simple beast but it is a beast. That mirror slaps when you press the shutter. There are many versions of this camera, Asahi, which is what I have. But there is Honeywell, a 67, a 6x7 and honestly I have no idea of the differences.
I have the wooden handle and although its on the same side as your focusing hand, I like having it on.

I guess the two specific questions I have are about shake from the mirror slap and whether you consistently get 10 frames or 9. Those are the main issues I see while researching this camera.

The Bronica remains a big interest, but the Pentax definitely has entered into the discussion.

In my current employment situation I should t even be worrying about such things, but I can’t help myself. I feel like a medium format camera will be essential for one of my two projects I am working on.

Took the kayak down to bastrop yesterday to try and do a little fishing. No luck finding fish so I decided to paddle around a bit, then came across the remnants of these two. Have heard lots of stories of bucks getting locked up; pretty neat to come across it in the wild. 20210306_153713.thumb.jpg.75689ca7f2d27d53ca25a5dc51dd7dcf.jpg

Holy shit. That is amazing. I know some people see it as sad, but that is true nature. I wish I came across something like that to document. Just spectacular.
  • Like 1

I guess the two specific questions I have are about shake from the mirror slap and whether you consistently get 10 frames or 9. Those are the main issues I see while researching this camera.

The Bronica remains a big interest, but the Pentax definitely has entered into the discussion.

In my current employment situation I should t even be worrying about such things, but I can’t help myself. I feel like a medium format camera will be essential for one of my two projects I am working on.

There’s also an MLU version of the older model. If you do get an older one, that’s a nice feature to have to help with camera shake too.

I will say though that these things are so heavy though that it is dampened when you hold it, making it pretty stable. If you just breathe out slowly and press the shutter, you’ll probably be okay down to 1/60 or so.

There’s also an MLU version of the older model. If you do get an older one, that’s a nice feature to have to help with camera shake too.

I will say though that these things are so heavy though that it is dampened when you hold it, making it pretty stable. If you just breathe out slowly and press the shutter, you’ll probably be okay down to 1/60 or so.

Yeah, I have been focusing on the MLU iterations. Makes me think of Bobby Hill, squeeze, don’t pull.
  • Like 1

I would describe today's photo outing as frustrating.  Mostly because there was a lot of potential, but ultimately, my shots were not what I had hoped.  Driving through the train yard I saw two Ospreys chasing each other.  Both had prey in their talons, so not sure what they were up to.  They landed a few times and I was able to get some shots, but they were either too far off, or obstructed. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then I was driving through Kashmere Gardens (a rough neighborhood next to the 5th Ward) when I see a guy come running out of the parking lot of a gas station/popeyes.  A cop was close behind him but slipped on the grass and fell on his face.  I threw the truck in reverse all the while trying to switch from my 24-105mm to my 100-400mm.  I saw the guy trying to jump the fence but couldn't get the shot.  I eventually got a couple of him on the ground, but branches in the foreground kept on messing up the focus.  As they brought him back out to the street I got a couple of blurry shots (I should have jacked up the ISO to at least 400).  It is what it is I guess...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yesterday was a little better I guess...

spacer.png

Not as sharp as I would like...

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

I’d often see the presidents motorcade drive by as I would walk to my old job off 17th.  Once as they were turning into the drive (Pennsylvania) towards the white house one of the officers laid his bike down right in front of me and it pinned him to the ground. I just froze as other cops helped him and another kind of shielded him from onlookers which was maybe a few people but glared at us almost daring anyone to take a pic. I only had a cellphone and didn’t. I’d see them arresting people all the time and would never read about it anywhere. I often wondered if they would have taken my phone. I would have liked to photograph some of the arrests too. 

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 1

I’d often see the presidents motorcade drive by as I would walk to my old job off 17th.  Once as they were turning into the drive (Pennsylvania) towards the white house one of the officers laid his bike down right in front of me and it pinned him to the ground. I just froze as other cops helped him and another kind of shielded him from onlookers which was maybe a few people but glared at us almost daring anyone to take a pic. I only had a cellphone and didn’t. I’d see them arresting people all the time and would never read about it anywhere. I often wondered if they would have taken my phone. I would have liked to photograph some of the arrests too. 

My only experience with the security around the White House was the morning of 9/11 when I was living in DC. I have one shot looking towards the back of the white house but I didn’t include the cop car in the frame, only the police tape. I wish at the very least I would have included the car. He blew his siren and gave me some aggressive hand gestures to move along. I wish I would have forced him to get out and taken shots of that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Conversation on drones. @Patricio Swayze , thought you might like this one as a potential job opportunity.

Thanks, I’ll try to check it out tonight. 

A guy that follows me on Instagram loaned me his Pentax. I already fucked up one exposure. Going to buy a roll of portra tomorrow.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

tonight was my first chance to shoot a sporting event, so that was fun. my pops and i went to the Texas HS Boys Basketball 6A State Championship Game, and although our seats were about 50 feet behind one of the baskets, and my view was obstructed, and my sight line was less than ideal, i still think i got some pretty decent shots. i've actually only seen maybe 2% of the shots i took as i was only able to transfer a few quico shots to my phone during timeouts. fyi #24 for Westlake is KJ Adams, a former student of mine who is a senior at Westlake. he's an amazing kid, and you will see him playing his ball next year for Bill Self and the Kansas Jayhawks. 

D9EE094F-85E2-4C10-AA7E-7F2542F56F87.jpeg

7FEB4D58-CC02-4117-97B0-2513B649291D.jpeg

5348A601-06CC-4852-8C5F-E73015F16355.jpeg

73E08E95-E6D8-4ABB-94C9-3ED2BFC53CB2.jpeg

CDA8C15D-D710-47E0-8464-3C01F0E871DC.jpeg

007FCC81-6916-499F-B17F-B3CB50C7F4F2.jpeg

B7C1DCEB-2570-4602-A3A1-FA53020BA3ED.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 3/14/2021 at 12:23 AM, shadow_operative said:

been able to use my camera a lot more recently, so here comes a photo dump:

7315DCF2-31D7-45C0-9BA1-102A7EFA79E5.jpeg

3EFCE83A-0720-4E2F-AA73-9F97BBD92B9E.jpeg

1DE90368-CA6B-4F44-B3EE-1D77754A9CC6.jpeg

EEEF345D-2796-44F8-A10E-C8A12FCE7C97.jpeg

474893A8-F22A-480D-A859-D47D7B291ACD.jpeg

6CFA2049-F449-49A0-99DB-589FBD3184B1.jpeg

4E5655B3-CC43-44CC-A781-25CA6CEFC79F.jpeg

8550AA1C-5720-40E6-A5AA-5767F404706E.jpeg

067EA069-69B4-43EF-A602-CCC74AAB60EF.jpeg

54C6EE83-63B1-45E3-B65D-F2A0179EBA00.jpeg

I like the snow thru the fence with the basketball goal. Nice shot. Did you get just one lens with your camera? I can't remember. Asking because I saw I think a Lumix 45-150 on sale recently. Not expensive at all. 

6 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I like the snow thru the fence with the basketball goal. Nice shot. Did you get just one lens with your camera? I can't remember. Asking because I saw I think a Lumix 45-150 on sale recently. Not expensive at all. 

i got two lenses but i actually haven't even played around with the second one yet. i need to get on that. 

Alright...so I went on a two day road trip with my Pops and got a few shots I'd like to share.  Some of these places have been on my list for a decade, so it was more like checking them off.  This morning while driving between locations, he saw a juvenile Bald Eagle, so we made a u-turn.  I got some shots I am really happy with, but unfortunately he missed the shots of the eagle taking off.  This really bummed me out.  But he knows this par for the course when it comes to wildlife photography.  Here are a few shots I have edited...I still have more to go.  I also shot some portra film on a pentax 6x7.  Not sure if they came out.  Hopefully will get the rolls developed in the next few weeks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, baboso said:

I spent a lot of time with work in NE TX, so when I saw the business 24 sign, I was pretty sure where you were.  What/where is the big white abandoned (?) building - old school?

Yeah, that is the abandoned high school in Talco.  Very strange that tiny town had a very large, art deco school like that.  It was trashed inside.