Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

On 10/15/2018 at 1:59 PM, horn4life said:

First off great thread- Second I am started to get interested in doing something that I would never, ever have done much before.... beach camping.  Mainly as I am remodeling a house to flip in Corpus and got turned onto PINS (Padre Island National Seashore).  At first I fell in love with the coolest Ladder racks I have ever seen.  Aluminum and swept forward with a solid deck on top.  There were no logos on these and I finally ran into a guy who had one on his truck and asked him about it.  I was a "ladder rack" but was really built with shark fishing in mind.  The added a side bar with pole holders in stood up on the deck to fight the fish.  I starting thinkin well... I could gut up a day or two and keep the sand out of a tent to not be miserable if I drank myself to sleep each night.  Then I saw this in my REI ad email. f973ed6c-eeb5-4b10-862d-1e5524bf8657?siz

I thought that I could be pretty comfy and sand free with a rig like this.  I also thought my daughter and her friends could use it when they go campings.  They go to more remote drive up campsites and then do day hikes from the base camp.  Something like this would allow for a real quick set up.  Only concern would be making sure to never pack it up wet and let it mildew.  Anybody use anything like this?  I figured this sort of thing would be perfect for PINS.  My kid works at REI and keeps accumulating more and more gear and I was thinking Dad might splurge on the tent and maybe do a father daughter PINS trip.

I think I am going to end up buying a toy box like this in a couple years, but was thinking about this roof top tent as stop gap that my daughter might get a lot of use out of . The model below is a XLR Boost toy box that is hitch towable and has some cool features like the ramp turning into a patio. Not a full width ttoy box area, but the ability to put a ton of tools and also 16' board lengths would be a big plus for my bringing remodeling materials down for flips.  

ImageHandler.ashx?ImageID=90756

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=358&Image=13005&ModelID=4179#Main

I don't have a toy hauler but I do have a bumper-pull travel trailer. It's manufactured by the same parent company, Forest River, who owns dozens of brands and produces hundreds of models.  So far so good for ours, it's a 2019 Prime Time Avenger ATI 29RBS. It's not high end but it has some nice features, especially the rear bunkroom for the kids and the outdoor kitchen.

Heading out to Caprock Canyons this weekend.  Does anyone that has been out there have any suggestions for our Scout Troop?  Looking for trail suggestions.  High is supposed to be in the mid-50's with overnight lows hovering just above freezing.  Park office is closed today due to ice.

I did the Haynes Ridge Overlook trial and the Upper North Prong Trail after camping in the North Prong Primitive area. It was pretty cool.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Timely thread bump is timely. Headed to PINS this weekend, gonna camp 2 nights. Any tips for someone who has never camped on the beach before? I got some really heavy duty sand anchors from Amazon for the canopy, hoping those will hold in the wind.

Our Troop did PINS on Texas-ou weekend.  It's not the wind, it's the sand.  I started packing for Caprock Canyons yesterday and was finding sand in just about everything despite what I thought was a meticulous cleaning.

23 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

Our Troop did PINS on Texas-ou weekend.  It's not the wind, it's the sand.  I started packing for Caprock Canyons yesterday and was finding sand in just about everything despite what I thought was a meticulous cleaning.

Yeah, it's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, it's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

The worst was the very, very fine sand that slipped under the rainfly and sifted through the tent netting.  I had to pull my shirt over my face while I slept because enough sand would accumulate on my face that I'd wake up choking, chewing on it and struggling to get it out of my eyes.  I really don't know what the solution is for camping in tents on the beach, but I clearly fail to grasp it.

The worst was the very, very fine sand that slipped under the rainfly and sifted through the tent netting.  I had to pull my shirt over my face while I slept because enough sand would accumulate on my face that I'd wake up choking, chewing on it and struggling to get it out of my eyes.  I really don't know what the solution is for camping in tents on the beach, but I clearly fail to grasp it.

This even happened to me camping at Capitol Reef National Park. There was some really fine dirt where I was and the wind was kinda swirling and blew it under my rainfly and through the mesh of my tent. All my stuff had a thin, red layer of dusty dirt on it.

2 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

Timely thread bump is timely. Headed to PINS this weekend, gonna camp 2 nights. Any tips for someone who has never camped on the beach before? I got some really heavy duty sand anchors from Amazon for the canopy, hoping those will hold in the wind.

Take an industrial size bottle of talcum powder  and a thin LS shirt and lounge pants to sleep in.  Once you are out of the blowing sand/wind, apply power liberally all over and put on the long clothes.  The powder will cause any sand to release from your sticky skin.  

I've also seen a small tub or wade pull to step into and wash sand off of your feet before entering a trailer if you are bringing one of them  

3 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

As davidg suggested, leave a wide bucket or deep pan full of water outside of the entrance to your dwelling, to rinse your feet before entering.  Deeper the better so the sand settles to the bottom.    It helps a lot.

Also, I've found that weight plates work better than anchors for EZ-Ups on the beach.  Not the ones that look like barbell weights (although those will work somewhat), but the ones that are flat steel and have a triangle-shaped hole and slot for the foot of the canopy to go through.  They're maybe 20" long and 8" wide, and you set an ice chest or something else very heavy on them. Also remember to drop the canopy all the way down when not in use, and fold it up completely overnight.

Are you tent-camping, taking an RV, other?  If you have an RV, I have a few more tips and tricks.

Love that place.  Can;t wait to get my new trailer out there.  

We spent the weekend at Lake Somerville, used the campground as a home base to take my wife (no pics) to the Aggie game.  Yes, she's an Aggie.  She's been a great sport about taking our kids to Longhorn games for the past decade, so I surprised her with tickets and the weekend out and about.

I really need to set up some image hosting to share the pictures...

Decent deal alert. We talked about these way upthread, and I bought the older Magellan version for $30 less last year, but these are a great piece of kit to have if you find yourself way off the beaten track. I have used mine now in BiBe, GUMO, pretty much the entire state of Oregon, and PINS. Can turn it on and off as you need it. 

https://www.costco.com/Garmin-inReach-SE%2b-Satellite-Communicator.product.100419295.html

• Like 1

Ok gents.  A bit early for an announcement, but I've set a date for my PCT thru hike.  April 6, 2020.  So I've got 15 months to prepare.  Part of the mental prep is announcing your intentions to friends, family, and the public, so here I am.  Hardest part will be leaving my wife and dogs for that long.  She's going to come out at least twice during the hike, but I may not see at least one of the dogs the entire time.  

I have been wanting to do this since 2013 and I finally got tired of trying to figure out when would be a perfect time and just said screw it.  If I don't do it soon I may never get another chance.  I'll be 37 at the start and turn 38 somewhere around Kennedy Meadows, if all goes well.  

This will be the biggest adventure of my life and I hope to come out of the experience wiser and happier with the world.  

• Like 7

Ok gents.  A bit early for an announcement, but I've set a date for my PCT thru hike.  April 6, 2020.  So I've got 15 months to prepare.  Part of the mental prep is announcing your intentions to friends, family, and the public, so here I am.  Hardest part will be leaving my wife and dogs for that long.  She's going to come out at least twice during the hike, but I may not see at least one of the dogs the entire time.  
I have been wanting to do this since 2013 and I finally got tired of trying to figure out when would be a perfect time and just said screw it.  If I don't do it soon I may never get another chance.  I'll be 37 at the start and turn 38 somewhere around Kennedy Meadows, if all goes well.  
This will be the biggest adventure of my life and I hope to come out of the experience wiser and happier with the world.  

Hell yes, man. I’m excited for you.

Good luck Biff! I have heard that the PCT is the coolest of the really long distance trails in the USA. Enjoy the mountain views.

It’s absolutely the one I would choose!
  • Like 1

It seems that Mount Whitney is not quite exactly on the trail, but really close? You don't want to miss that one! When on the calendar do you expect to get to that point?

I believe the PCT and the JMT follow the same route from approximately after Tuolumne Meadows/before Lyell Canyon, all the way to where the JMT splits to go to Whitney. So yeah, it’s a pretty short side trip.

On 11/30/2018 at 10:45 AM, pantone159 said:

It seems that Mount Whitney is not quite exactly on the trail, but really close? You don't want to miss that one! When on the calendar do you expect to get to that point?

Yeah, it's just a few miles off the PCT and most thru hikers make the trip.  You used to need an additional permit, but not anymore, so that's nice.  I am hoping to be there probably somewhere around the beginning of June or maybe late May.

15 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

That's awesome, Biff. Are you doing it all in one go?  How long are you thinking it will take? The average looks to be about 5 months. 

That's the plan.  Right now, yes, it's looking like about 5 months.  I've only started planning resupply for the first 700 miles (desert section) and it's still really really early to even be doing that, so a lot could change.  First permit round doesn't start til November of next year, so I won't know my actual official start date until at least then and then I can really commit to resupply planning and the nitty gritty details.  I'll be spending the next year training, physically and mentally, and dialing in my gear.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

That's the plan.  Right now, yes, it's looking like about 5 months.  I've only started planning resupply for the first 700 miles (desert section) and it's still really really early to even be doing that, so a lot could change.  First permit round doesn't start til November of next year, so I won't know my actual official start date until at least then and then I can really commit to resupply planning and the nitty gritty details.  I'll be spending the next year training, physically and mentally, and dialing in my gear.

Yeah, we're gonna need see some gear lists so we can tell you from the comfort of our couches how you're doing it wrong. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, davidg said:

Yeah, we're gonna need see some gear lists so we can tell you from the comfort of our couches how you're doing it wrong. 

Ha!  Exactly.

Actually, I'll do it from the comfort of my RV couch, whilst watching the bowl games on the satellite TV mounted into the RV.  But I won't set up my mobile WIFI hotspot, because I prefer to rough it.

On 11/30/2018 at 8:31 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Well done man.  Keep us posted on your planning details.  Would love to do this, and think I am physically and mentally able to, but the finances and logistics are a snarly cluster.

• Like 1

On November 30, 2018 at 8:31 AM, Biff Tannen said:

This is awesome.  You should start a new thread when you're ready so we can track / ridicule / judge / appreciate / applaud / be envious of you without getting side tracked on all of our other day trips.  

18 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I would fatten up like a bear starting now, because you're going to drop pounds daily.  

Yeah I am going to start a fairly disciplined workout and diet in a couple of months probably.  I'm already skinny to begin with and putting on weight is tough for me, so it will be interesting.  On trail I'm going to have to eat a ton too, but once hiker hunger sets in I'm sure that won't be an issue.  Definitely planning on adding olive oil to a lot of meals for extra calories.

Nice.  How you like the TarpTent?

I like it. I had a TarpTent Notch before, but it was just too small for me (I value my space), so I sold it. I was gonna get the Single Rainbow, but I liked the 2019 improvements they made to the Double Rainbow, and it was only 6oz more, so I got it. It’s pretty huge inside. I did have TarpTent seam seal it which included the strips on the floor, but my sleeping pad still slid to the far side, so I need to figure something out there.

On 12/11/2018 at 3:20 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah I am going to start a fairly disciplined workout and diet in a couple of months probably.  I'm already skinny to begin with and putting on weight is tough for me, so it will be interesting.  On trail I'm going to have to eat a ton too, but once hiker hunger sets in I'm sure that won't be an issue.  Definitely planning on adding olive oil to a lot of meals for extra calories.

One of my climbing guides, who has climbed Everest several times, said that what worked best for him to pack on the pounds beforehand, was chocolate milk. I have not tried it myself.

You will be getting to Whitney pretty early, I think. I would expect plenty of snow and ice. Good luck!

7 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

One of my climbing guides, who has climbed Everest several times, said that what worked best for him to pack on the pounds beforehand, was chocolate milk. I have not tried it myself.

You will be getting to Whitney pretty early, I think. I would expect plenty of snow and ice. Good luck!

Low snow year would be nice.  And you had me at chocolate milk, though I drank it every day for 15 years when I was younger and it didn't help much then.  But if I have to, I have to.

11 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I like it. I had a TarpTent Notch before, but it was just too small for me (I value my space), so I sold it. I was gonna get the Single Rainbow, but I liked the 2019 improvements they made to the Double Rainbow, and it was only 6oz more, so I got it. It’s pretty huge inside. I did have TarpTent seam seal it which included the strips on the floor, but my sleeping pad still slid to the far side, so I need to figure something out there.

Great pics, very jelly.   Double Rainbow has to be huge as you can almost get two people in the Single.  For the pad sliding issue, get some silnet and make an array of slightly raised dots on the floor of the tent where your pad is located.  It will help a bunch vs the stripes they painted on the floor.  From what I remember, TT uses silnet diluted with something like alcohol or MEK and uses that to paint the seams and the floor stripes.  Its very thin and not much surface area to grab the pad.

• Like 1

Probably not the best thread but there is still a few days to register to be TPWD State Park Ambassador. https://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/programs/state_parks_ambassador/

The program mission is "To connect conservation-minded young adults (ages 18-30) with recreation and volunteer opportunities to foster a new generation of State Park stewards."

My daughter (no pics) is finishing up her tenure as ambassador at Garner State Park and has really enjoyed the experience. She has spent a lot of time out in the park the last 6 months, helping the staff, and conducting a few programs of her own. Her last project is to work with the conservation staff mapping out areas for controlled burns in the park.

If you have a kid in college or just out, that enjoys the outdoors, have them look at the link above and research the program and submit an application.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, davidg said:

Probably not the best thread but there is still a few days to register to be TPWD State Park Ambassador. https://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/programs/state_parks_ambassador/

The program mission is "To connect conservation-minded young adults (ages 18-30) with recreation and volunteer opportunities to foster a new generation of State Park stewards."

My daughter (no pics) is finishing up her tenure as ambassador at Garner State Park and has really enjoyed the experience. She has spent a lot of time out in the park the last 6 months, helping the staff, and conducting a few programs of her own. Her last project is to work with the conservation staff mapping out areas for controlled burns in the park.

If you have a kid in college or just out, that enjoys the outdoors, have them look at the link above and research the program and submit an application.

Absolutely the right thread.  That's awesome man.  I'm just pissed I'm over 30 so I can't apply.

Anyone ever used a kayak like in the link?  I have zero experience kayaking but would love to try it when camping on calm little lakes in Colorado.  Would this be good for that?  Thanks for any help.

Intex Explorer K2 Kayak, 2-Person Inflatable Kayak Set with Aluminum Oars and High Output Air Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7EXF4C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mIMfCb5P2E34X