Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

• 2 weeks later...
Ok gents.  A bit early for an announcement, but I've set a date for my PCT thru hike.  April 6, 2020.  So I've got 15 months to prepare.  Part of the mental prep is announcing your intentions to friends, family, and the public, so here I am.  Hardest part will be leaving my wife and dogs for that long.  She's going to come out at least twice during the hike, but I may not see at least one of the dogs the entire time.  
I have been wanting to do this since 2013 and I finally got tired of trying to figure out when would be a perfect time and just said screw it.  If I don't do it soon I may never get another chance.  I'll be 37 at the start and turn 38 somewhere around Kennedy Meadows, if all goes well.  
This will be the biggest adventure of my life and I hope to come out of the experience wiser and happier with the world.  
Awesome...best of luck...im goping to do it one day also

Im going to being getting ready for colorado trail again this summer since the fires cancelled last years plans...
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Awesome...best of luck...im goping to do it one day also

Im going to being getting ready for colorado trail again this summer since the fires cancelled last years plans...

Nice.  I had the CT in mind to do before the PCT originally, but I'm just going straight for the big one off the bat.  Good luck this year and keep us updated!

4 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Headed to PINS tomorrow morning with the mutt. This will be our second trip this year and plan on going a bit deeper into the primitive areas. 

Should I worry about camps of bad hombres who may want to rape my virgin b-hole?

No, but the further down island we got, the faster the fishermen headed to the cut drove, so be mindful of the mutt while off leash. Conditions were very good when we were there. So they were doing north of 50.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

No, but the further down island we got, the faster the fishermen headed to the cut drove, so be mindful of the mutt while off leash. Conditions were very good when we were there. So they were doing north of 50.

Yup.  Those fishermen' ain't messin' around.

Have fun at PINS.

Today we're headed to Belton Lake for a week.  It's nice to have a trailer with a working furnace, looks like we're gonna need it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked Garner for that weekend and there were 49 electrical/water sites open.  They were all in New Garner though, so it seems Old Garner is completely booked for that time.  Still shouldn't be too crowded though, maybe 3/4 full, but I doubt there will be many day-trip walk-up type visitors to the grounds, compared to summertime.

I've camped there in the winter before, it's nice. Hiking, campfires, etc.  I chose not to swim in the Frio at that time, but your mileage may vary. :)

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Any recommendations for day hikes accessible from Houston? Anyone tried the Lone Star Trail?

I've done part of the western LSHT in the wilderness area.  It's pretty, but not all that well maintained.  I've not done the eastern parts, so can't comment on their condition.  This should be the best time of year for it though.  Not too buggy.  PM sent.

Edited by Biff Tannen

11 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Here’s a few from BBRSP this past weekend. Side note, do we have a Big Bend area specific thread? I couldn’t find one.

Great shots.  What trail was that?  What campsite did you use?  I have been twice and dig it.  Starting to prefer it to the NP but it's primitive AF.

Great shots.  What trail was that?  What campsite did you use?  I have been twice and dig it.  Starting to prefer it to the NP but it's primitive AF.

If you’re interested, I have an album that has more photos and is fully annotated on Flickr.  

*Flickr seems to be having issues right now*

The first two are from the campsite Papalotito Colorado. Sunset is on La Mota mountain. The park was busy last week so we just reserved one that was available. It is only off the road a tenth of a mile or so but actually has pretty good privacy. In hindsight we likely could’ve gotten a more remote site since it was less busy this past week, but it was fine. It was my first time to the interior of the SP anyway.

The water tank photo is over by Tres Papalotes.

The rusty truck is near Burnt Camp trailhead, also over near where McGuirk’s Tanks campsite is.

The BW one is the flatirons of the Solitario, near the end of a short spur road off of the Llano Loop.

10 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

If you’re interested, I have an album that has more photos and is fully annotated on Flickr.

The first two are from the campsite Papalotito Colorado. Sunset is on La Mota mountain. The park was busy last week so we just reserved one that was available. It is only off the road a tenth of a mile or so but actually has pretty good privacy. In hindsight we likely could’ve gotten a more remote site since it was less busy this past week, but it was fine. It was my first time to the interior of the SP anyway.

The water tank photo is over by Tres Papalotes.

The rusty truck is near Burnt Camp trailhead, also over near where McGuirk’s Tanks campsite is.

The BW one is the flatirons of the Solitario, near the end of a short spur road off of the Llano Loop.

The park was busy last week?  Like what, 21 people?  There is never anyone in that freaking park, but the ones that are there are in the camp spots I want.  There are very limited 2wd, low clearance spots there.  papalito colorado is a great one.  we stayed at rancho viejo the first time, and the bunkhouse the second.

The park was busy last week?  Like what, 21 people?  There is never anyone in that freaking park, but the ones that are there are in the camp spots I want.  There are very limited 2wd, low clearance spots there.  papalito colorado is a great one.  we stayed at rancho viejo the first time, and the bunkhouse the second.

Well, starting on the 26th, they closed the campgrounds in the NP because of the shutdown, so they had some overflow from there from people who were already in the area. They said they still had about 80 people in the park when we were there.

And yeah, I have an FJ that could go anywhere there, but I was with some folks that were more limited than I am regarding vehicle access. Papalotito Colorado really was a great site, though.

I've never done the interior of the SP, but have stayed along the river multiple times. I think my next trip out there, we are gonna roam the interior of the SP. A buddy has a pic blown up in his living room of the sunset at Guale 2, and I've been itching to spend some time there.

Anybody have any experience with camping in Louisiana or neighboring states? I'm in the Baton Rouge area and I'm thinking an easy 4 hours any direction is fine for a few days, just don't know where to go. I think that would give me a lot of options, but I don't have any experience with searching for these places and all the front page searches show a bunch, but don't seem to be all that helpful. 

I'd like to just do 3 or 4 days, easy camping not too far from wherever I can get my vehicle, but I don't want to be in the RV, family campground type places. Just walking and maybe some fishing during the day, kind of just screwing off with no purpose, other then finding some cool spots for future camps also. 

11 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Anybody have any experience with camping in Louisiana or neighboring states? I'm in the Baton Rouge area and I'm thinking an easy 4 hours any direction is fine for a few days, just don't know where to go. I think that would give me a lot of options, but I don't have any experience with searching for these places and all the front page searches show a bunch, but don't seem to be all that helpful. 

I'd like to just do 3 or 4 days, easy camping not too far from wherever I can get my vehicle, but I don't want to be in the RV, family campground type places. Just walking and maybe some fishing during the day, kind of just screwing off with no purpose, other then finding some cool spots for future camps also. 

Ouachita National Forest
Hot Springs, AR 
https://goo.gl/maps/niY27DMed4m

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

There are multiple National Forests and Wildlife Management Areas to the north of Baton Rouge and another one to the east in Mississippi.  I'd go to their websites and start there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Village Creek SP in Lumberton is not bad.   They have walk-in tent sites and RV/elect sites.  Some of the tent sites are right on Village Creek.  Its very easy to rent a canoe or kayak from one of the outfitters and do a trip down VC.

• Like 1

Anybody go check out big bend during shutdown...currently trying to talk myself out of the 8 hour drive lol...have next 2 days off

It’s not any different, just day use only. They are going to open up the Santa Elena area and Old Maverick Road today due to some basic janitorial services and trash removal being resumed.

Why are they being resumed?  Govt still shut down, no?

https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/government-shutdown.htm

Update 1/15/18
Using revenue from recreation fees, Big Bend National Park will resume routine basic custodial services and trash removal today. This will allow the re-opening of Old Maverick Road, Santa Elena Canyon trail, and restrooms/vault toilets that have previously been closed.
  • Like 2

On 1/9/2019 at 8:28 PM, UnivTex34 said:

Ouachita National Forest
Hot Springs, AR 
https://goo.gl/maps/niY27DMed4m

BBQ2Bayou  If you're interested in backpacking you could hit the Eagle Rock Loop in Ouachita National Forest.  We are starting at the Little Missouri Falls trailhead and doing the loop this weekend.  Supposed to get down to 19 on Saturday, with snow showers.  Should be fun (not really, but screw it).

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

BBQ2Bayou  If you're interested in backpacking you could hit the Eagle Rock Loop in Ouachita National Forest.  We are starting at the Little Missouri Falls trailhead and doing the loop this weekend.  Supposed to get down to 19 on Saturday, with snow showers.  Should be fun (not really, but screw it).

Damn.  Should be a lack of ticks at least.

2 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Yeah, that looks like a good time and the kind of camping I'd like to do. I need to look into that place. Have fun. 

19 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Anybody go check out big bend during shutdown...currently trying to talk myself out of the 8 hour drive lol...have next 2 days off

Its fine.  The private vendors at rgv and basin are still open.   You can still get gas and beer and a hamburder .  Panther junction is closed.  Might want to pack a roll of TP in case no one is stocking the pit toilets.   And do all your research before hand because no one is there to answer questions.

3 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Good luck. The Little Missouri rises pretty quickly when it rains and there are what, five crossings you have to wade? It will probably be up to waist height at least. Keep in mind an escape route when you set up camp so you can get back to a trail head without having to cross it in case it comes up too much. I would start at the winding staircase trailhead and go clockwise. Lots of water crossings in that area and you can knock them out before the rain hits and the water comes up.

19 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Good luck. The Little Missouri rises pretty quickly when it rains and there are what, five crossings you have to wade? It will probably be up to waist height at least. Keep in mind an escape route when you set up camp so you can get back to a trail head without having to cross it in case it comes up too much. I would start at the winding staircase trailhead and go clockwise. Lots of water crossings in that area and you can knock them out before the rain hits and the water comes up.

I appreciate it.  Thanks.  I've experienced one flash-flood while backpacking.  Spent about 3-hours pacing back and forth on high ground hoping and praying that my son made it above the water as well.  That's enough for one lifetime.

Starting to get set up for our primitive camping / hiking trip to Big Bend over Spring Break.  Looking for a recommendations on a good multi-day backpacking pack and 2-man backpack tent.  I should have everything else for the trip, but need to upgrade both of those.  Our hiking has been limited to day hikes thus far.  I have an inexpensive dome tent and day pack, but both are due for upgrades, so this is as good of an opportunity as any.  Budget is $600 or so for both together.  

We're planning on doing a three day trip around the outer loop.  I'll ask for more details about the trip specifically in the Big Bend thread, but if anyone has any recommendations on gear lists for a three-day hike, it wouldn't hurt to double check my inventory.

20 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Starting to get set up for our primitive camping / hiking trip to Big Bend over Spring Break.  Looking for a recommendations on a good multi-day backpacking pack and 2-man backpack tent.  I should have everything else for the trip, but need to upgrade both of those.  Our hiking has been limited to day hikes thus far.  I have an inexpensive dome tent and day pack, but both are due for upgrades, so this is as good of an opportunity as any.  Budget is $600 or so for both together.  

We're planning on doing a three day trip around the outer loop.  I'll ask for more details about the trip specifically in the Big Bend thread, but if anyone has any recommendations on gear lists for a three-day hike, it wouldn't hurt to double check my inventory.

There's a million recs, but I'll give you my current set up.  Keep in mind these were bought with the intention of having a slightly heavier than normal load, due to carrying more than my share when my wife backpacks with me.

Pack: Osprey Exos 58 (also avail in 48L if you don't need that much room).  Good lightweight internal frame pack for $200-ish.

Tent: Marmot Limelight 3P - could definitely find lighter options, but this has worked out well for us so far.  3P gives you some extra room for gear, or in my case, 2 dogs.

I am going to be getting a 1P tent for my solo ventures.  Looking at Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 1.  

Starting to get set up for our primitive camping / hiking trip to Big Bend over Spring Break.  Looking for a recommendations on a good multi-day backpacking pack and 2-man backpack tent.  I should have everything else for the trip, but need to upgrade both of those.  Our hiking has been limited to day hikes thus far.  I have an inexpensive dome tent and day pack, but both are due for upgrades, so this is as good of an opportunity as any.  Budget is $600 or so for both together.   We're planning on doing a three day trip around the outer loop.  I'll ask for more details about the trip specifically in the Big Bend thread, but if anyone has any recommendations on gear lists for a three-day hike, it wouldn't hurt to double check my inventory.

Who are you traveling with? Significant other? Child? I just ask because a 2 man tent is gonna mean you’re really close together. You know what the saying is, a two man tent is really a one man, a three is a two, etc. If with a SO or a kid, it’s not really an issue obviously.

That said, I’d recommend the TarpTent Double Rainbow. They updated it for 2019. I have one, and it’s wonderful. Build quality is excellent and it only weighs 42oz when seam sealed. It is not free standing and is a single wall tent, but the lightness is worth it. It’s also MASSIVE inside. It’ll cost you $350 seam sealed and shipped.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/double-rainbow/

Edit: here’s mine in Big Bend

908d3b7c71f0ea7e297b4dc524c8d335.jpg

As for packs, the Osprey Exos is a good one that you can get at a local store (REI). The new ones don’t have hip belt pockets like my 2017 model does, but it’s still a great, lightweight pack that you can get at a brick and mortar. I’d recommend the 58L size. You can remove the top brain part if you don’t need it (that is what I usually do).

https://www.rei.com/product/126709/osprey-exos-58-pack-mens

The ULA Circuit is also highly recommended. It’s heavier than the Exos and many other packs, but the comfort is supposed to be supreme. You do have to order this one online.

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/circuit/

These will cost you $220-235 (the ULA ships for free).

• Like 1

@Anton Chigurh @Biff Tannen thank you for the recs.  I haven't even ventured online or to REI yet.  I figured I would check here first.

I'll be traveling with my 11 year old son.  Just the two of us.  I wish we could bring our lab, but it seems like Big Bend frowns upon that.  Regardless, I like the idea of a larger pack and larger tent.  Especially when my daughter gets older and is able to join us.  My son will just have his daypack and hydration pack, so I'll be carrying the tent, sleeping pads, food, jet boil, etc.  I'll probably put some stuff in his pack, but I'd rather him be light and nimble to enjoy the trip.

Keep the recs coming.  

Spring Break in the Chisos can get very cold and at the same time the Dodson section of the OML can be hot and dry.  I would figure out a way for your son to carry his own sleeping bag, clothes/parka and water.  Even with caching extra water at Juniper and Homer Wilson, it might be tough carrying all the gear and water for 2 persons and doing 10 miles a day.

I only say this as IMO, the OML is probably not a first overnight backpacking trip to take at BiBe.     

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

I appreciate it.  Thanks.  I've experienced one flash-flood while backpacking.  Spent about 3-hours pacing back and forth on high ground hoping and praying that my son made it above the water as well.  That's enough for one lifetime.

Alternatively, if you start at the Winding Staircase trailhead and realize that the water is going to be too cold and high to safely cross, you could always backtrack and go counter clockwise. Camp near the Little Missouri Falls the first night, and then take one of the forest roads back to where you parked instead of bottom section of the Athens Big Fork Trail and the Miles Branch Trail. I don't know what the northern section of the loop is like, though, because I've only ever done the bottom half of the loop. One of these days I'll get back out and do the full thing, but it will probably be a while with one toddler and a wife who just peed to the second line on her pregnancy test. But above all, remember several people died at Albert Pike from flash flood a few years ago, and you'll be hiking in the cold weather, so hypothermia is a real risk. Be safe and have fun.

4 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

@Anton Chigurh @Biff Tannen thank you for the recs.  I haven't even ventured online or to REI yet.  I figured I would check here first.

I'll be traveling with my 11 year old son.  Just the two of us.  I wish we could bring our lab, but it seems like Big Bend frowns upon that.  Regardless, I like the idea of a larger pack and larger tent.  Especially when my daughter gets older and is able to join us.  My son will just have his daypack and hydration pack, so I'll be carrying the tent, sleeping pads, food, jet boil, etc.  I'll probably put some stuff in his pack, but I'd rather him be light and nimble to enjoy the trip.

Keep the recs coming.  

Osprey packs are great. If you've got children you probably won't be going ultralight any time soon and will be carrying the bigger portion of the gear. Get a big enough pack to carry extra stuff. Then make them carry your stuff when you get older to build character.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went to REI yesterday to check out shoes. Seems like they run the gamut from traditional hiking boots -> low-top hiking shoes -> "trail runners" (which seem to me like running shoes with more robust soles). What do y'all recommend for someone who is just going to be day hiking on flat trails around Houston?

I went to REI yesterday to check out shoes. Seems like they run the gamut from traditional hiking boots -> low-top hiking shoes -> "trail runners" (which seem to me like running shoes with more robust soles). What do y'all recommend for someone who is just going to be day hiking on flat trails around Houston?

Trail runners.