Which streaming device should I get?

Shmitty

43 minutes ago, mdmost said:

What's cheaper?  3 Rokus, 3 separate Chromecasts or Fire Sticks? If that doesn't matter, I'd think the Roku would be the better option. No interest in Apple TV?

I'd love to have an apple tv, but it's not in my budget currently.  

Well, I don't know about how you'd actually get football via streaming, but as a general (basic and cheap) streaming device for Netflix and Amazon I've been satisfied with my Roku Express+.  I think it cost about $30.  Doesn't support 4K though, or 5 ghz wireless--only 2.4. And no voice-operated search.

but I have no idea how to stream football games through it. 

The answer to this might determine which device to get.

I personally do one TV on my U-verse box and one TV running WatchESPN via AppleTV. That gives me pretty good flexibility in games.

You could also run WatchESPN through Chromecast or possibly Firestick or Roku. What’s your plan there?

I have a couple Fire TVs and use them with Hulu Live and NFL Sunday Ticket.

I don’t have an issue at all watching any of the games I want in college or NFL.

I think I saw Fire TVs on Amazon earlier for 40 bucks, down from 70.

I also bought Ethernet adapters for the Fire tv so they use hard wired instead of WiFi connections and haven’t had any streaming issues at all.

Love the Fire TV over my Apple TV (granted it’s an older generation) to the point where I bought another fire TV on prime day to replace the Apple TV.

Now you guys got me thinking more about Rokus. I joined the first DTV now bundle with a free apple tv and loved it. I no longer have that and have just been watching on my laptop and what not due to traveling this year. I want to get DTV now again and was hard set on the apple tv but are the rokus that good? 

Need you experts to walk me through this situation so I can make sure I have proper plan.

I will be at the coast during the Tulsa game. The place I am staying does not have LHN, but I do at home. I am assuming I should be able to log into LHN somewhere on my iPad and connect it to the tv using their WiFi and play the game? Hopefully WiFi doesn’t suck too bad.

Need you experts to walk me through this situation so I can make sure I have proper plan.

I will be at the coast during the Tulsa game. The place I am staying does not have LHN, but I do at home. I am assuming I should be able to log into LHN somewhere on my iPad and connect it to the tv using their WiFi and play the game? Hopefully WiFi doesn’t suck too bad.

If the LHN is on the ESPN app you can log in to your cable provider and watch there.

HDMI out from TV to adapter for cell phone.  Adapter connects to Iphone. Log into watch espn app, all set from there. Ive done it many times and wifi is not needed, provided you have a good data plan on cell phone.

I've also used a $50 over the air antennae for locals, that's some of the best HD you can get, especially CBS.  I have also used an HDMI mirroring adapter, $16 at walmart (but you cant be too far away from main box) to split a screen from living room to outdoor TV. 

To the OP, there are lots of options to get multiple games going.

12 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

HDMI out from TV to adapter for cell phone.  Adapter connects to Iphone. Log into watch espn app, all set from there. Ive done it many times and wifi is not needed, provided you have a good data plan on cell phone.

I've also used a $50 over the air antennae for locals, that's some of the best HD you can get, especially CBS.  I have also used an HDMI mirroring adapter, $16 at walmart (but you cant be too far away from main box) to split a screen from living room to outdoor TV. 

To the OP, there are lots of options to get multiple games going.

like multiple streaming devices?

Yeah, I would call ahead.  I have been at hotels where they require you to login from the device, so it's a pia on a stick.  So if they require that, you might bring a laptop or your phone with an hdmi adapter so you can login, then connect that device with a hdmi cable you also brought. 

On 8/24/2018 at 5:17 AM, Zepol87 said:

Now you guys got me thinking more about Rokus. I joined the first DTV now bundle with a free apple tv and loved it. I no longer have that and have just been watching on my laptop and what not due to traveling this year. I want to get DTV now again and was hard set on the apple tv but are the rokus that good? 

I have a Roku and an Apple TV.  For the most part I like the Roku a lot better, but for me the Apple TV is better if you want to stream something from your laptop / mobile device to your TV.

Hell, the mlb app on Roku makes the Roku worth it by itself.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about getting a Roku as well. What type of bandwidth is recommended for streaming (tv/sports/movies) off of them?

ISP's are scarce in my area, most reasonable deal is Suddenlink. 450 mbps for $50/mo, or 1 gig for $85/mo. I'm trying to get away from satellite that's just as expensive ($90/mo). 

35 minutes ago, SurlyBDR said:

I'm thinking about getting a Roku as well. What type of bandwidth is recommended for streaming (tv/sports/movies) off of them?

ISP's are scarce in my area, most reasonable deal is Suddenlink. 450 mbps for $50/mo, or 1 gig for $85/mo. I'm trying to get away from satellite that's just as expensive ($90/mo). 

I live in a shithole third world  country where 10 Mbps is a luxury and the Roku works fine. You won’t have any issue. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Like 1