Are 7-Elevens dying?

TornACL

The 7-11 off Bee Cave & 360 has quite possibly the coldest beer fridge I've ever encountered. A couple of years ago, I rented a Uhaul truck to move stuff that I wasn't paying movers to move and I stopped at that gas station when we were done.  I bought 3 beers for me + 2 buddies.  Hit the stop like none other.

3 years later, it's still cold ass beer.

But that store is a dump and I wouldn't ever buy their coffee or food...

Edited by RD3

The only Bucees I stop at is the one in New Braunfels and I stop there every time I go to NB or San Antonio.  Restrooms as noted are clean, cokes are cheap and my kids love their Icees.

But I could not imagine that being on my regular rotation of gas stations. My personal preference is the HEB in Bee Cave in between my house and office....  In & out quickly...

I've noticed massive spending on new construction Convenience Stores from FL to TX as I travel the Gulf Coast.

Bucees, Stripes, 7-11, TimeWise etc.  Seems like they are getting bigger and nicer with more offerings as a lot of other retail is shrinking.

Did bucees light the fire?  Was the industry just due for a cycle of new build / renovations?  Is it partly due to an Amazon effect where people are needing more quick convenience for a few items and rely less on traditional grocery stores?

I have no clue.........but everywhere I look both in town and on the interstate corridors there is a metric shit ton of money being spent on new construction.

3 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I've noticed massive spending on new construction Convenience Stores from FL to TX as I travel the Gulf Coast.

Bucees, Stripes, 7-11, TimeWise etc.  Seems like they are getting bigger and nicer with more offerings as a lot of other retail is shrinking.

Did bucees light the fire?  Was the industry just due for a cycle of new build / renovations?  Is it partly due to an Amazon effect where people are needing more quick convenience for a few items and rely less on traditional grocery stores?

I have no clue.........but everywhere I look both in town and on the interstate corridors there is a metric shit ton of money being spent on new construction.

When I go to QT at lunch I would guess about half (maybe a little less) or the people there are buying an in-store made food item.  I think to some extent they are stealing fast food customers.

• Like 1

The ones they've opened in downtowns are great.  Plenty of times as a downtown office worker, you just need a quick thing, and 7-11 is going to have it.  Those stores are new and, in my experience, well-run and clean.
But yeah--there is so much variation from one franchisee to another it's insane.  
So much this. To help my businesses I've spent time trying to help other dumbass franchises to get up to par. Most of these owners are dumb as shit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

My kids keep them in business. Always buying monster drinks or big gulps and chips. When I quit smoking in 2001, I pretty much killed any need to enter a c-store again. Pay at the pump and move the fuck on is my motto.

Whoa, big gulps huh?

Welp, see ya later!

• Like 4

Fucking DuFrain at least got his buddies 3 beers each for their manual labor job.  And considering he didn't have any fucking money, I'd say that's a damn sight better than 1 beer each.

3 hours ago, luke duke said:

You really know how to take care of your buddies that help you move.

I've got a beer with your name on it next time I move... ;)

And of course, there was more to it than 7-11 beers. But those were some cold ones.

I stop in at the 7-11 on bee caves road (the one by the elementary school, not the one at 360) a couple of times a week for a small item and I have to admit, I am absolutely fascinated by the business that place does in roller food at pretty much any time of the day.  Always a long line of Hispanic dudes loading up.  I keep thinking, don’t these dudes have awesome breakfast tacos at home that kicks the shit out of a roller hot dog with mayo and jalapeños or dried out wings at 830 AM no racist?   Why would one choose an entire 7-11 pizza instead of a Gattis for about the same price down the road?  Am I missing out on a whole food experience here? 

Same reason the Popeye's, the Taco Bell, and the Raising Cane's chicken along that corridor are always filled up with laborers, tradesman, and cleaning ladies.   They get great food at home but they bust their ass all day long and just shred through calories so they stop off at those places and your 7-11 because it's close to the job site, it's cheap, it's loaded with calories to fuel them throughout the day, and they get to use their bathrooms (most of these folks don't ask to use the restroom at the home they're working on as a matter of course). 

Not sure about the Gatti's thing.  HIspanics don't like Italians maybe?  Gatti's is obviously as traditionalist Sicilian as it gets /noracist

I asked buddy who owned a pretty good number of stores before his family sold out......

They have a limited lunch break and it is truly a convenience decision....They can grab smokes, tall-boy, lunch, and extra drinks for the rest of the work-day in one stop and still have the better part of their hour to eat and chill.

Stopping elsewhere for food will necessitate other stops for the rest of their get-by needs and they don't want to waste the time.

I stop in at the 7-11 on bee caves road (the one by the elementary school, not the one at 360) a couple of times a week for a small item and I have to admit, I am absolutely fascinated by the business that place does in roller food at pretty much any time of the day.  Always a long line of Hispanic dudes loading up.  I keep thinking, don’t these dudes have awesome breakfast tacos at home that kicks the shit out of a roller hot dog with mayo and jalapeños or dried out wings at 830 AM no racist?   Why would one choose an entire 7-11 pizza instead of a Gattis for about the same price down the road?  Am I missing out on a whole food experience here? 

Your average Hispanic laborer eats 2 convenience store meals a day. This is in addition to a 32oz coffee that is 50% sugar, 40% cream and 10% actual coffee.

7 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

You can't get a whole pizza at Gattis for 5 bucks. For what it is, 7-11 pizza is surprisingly edible. 

Your average Hispanic laborer eats 2 convenience store meals a day. This is in addition to a 32oz coffee that is 50% sugar, 40% cream and 10% actual coffee.

I don’t get the coffee thing either. The Central Americans I work with all do this and make the coffee super weak. When it’s only 10% coffee you would think it should be stronger. Also is there actually any caffeine in coffee like that?