do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

Where do y'all land on Seinfeld with Larry David vs the sillier, more abstract latter years of Seinfeld?

With the exception of the final two episodes, I think the final season was pretty strong. The Strike, The Butter Shave, The Slicer, and The Burning all classic episodes. Even The Dealership which many have panned as the "worst Seinfeld episode" has its moments. 

• Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Where do y'all land on Seinfeld with Larry David vs the sillier, more abstract latter years of Seinfeld?

With the exception of the final two episodes, I think the final season was pretty strong. The Strike, The Butter Shave, The Slicer, and The Burning all classic episodes. Even The Dealership which many have panned as the "worst Seinfeld episode" has its moments. 

I've always felt they went out at the top of their game.  The last two seasons are gold.  I mean, they all are, but I feel like they had several awesome seasons left in the tank.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I have a buddy named Ned and I try to use this line as often as possible.

The director of the Blanton Museum of art at UT for two years was a buddy named Ned Rifkin.  And he lived in New York for awhile.  He told me that I was only the second person to connect him to that Seinfeld episode.  Just two people in all these years?  He obviously hangs out with the wrong kinda people.  

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The director of the Blanton Museum of art at UT for two years was a buddy named Ned Rifkin.  And he lived in New York for awhile.  He told me that I was only the second person to connect him to that Seinfeld episode.  Just two people in all these years?  He obviously hangs out with the wrong kinda people.  

That's fantastic

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If I have to choose worst episodes, I'm probably looking at the first couple of seasons.  I never really liked the old person one.

I don't think the pilot/The Seinfeld Chronicles was a very good episode. Very little Kramer, no Elaine, and probably Jerry's ugliest love interest. 

Didn't they take it out of the syndication loop though because of how many Puerto Ricans it offended?  

It's amazing to me that they had episodes touching on every single minority in New York over 9 seasons, and they only got to the Puerto Ricans in the very last episode (pre-finale).  And Puerto Ricans number 1.0mm in New York.  Think about the ethnic and protected groups of all sorts that---Larry David managed to cover Black, Jamaican, Dominican, Cuban, Mexican, Mayan, Incan, Jewish, Orthodox Jew, Eastern Orthodox, Catholic, Irish, Scottish, Russian, Indian, Native American, Gay, Disabled, Korean, Burmese, Pakistani, Italian, German, Japanese, and even an Ecuadorian Rooster...but we don't hear anything about actual Puerto Ricans until the last regular episode of the series despite them being such a prominent part of life in New York.  

We of course meet Cedric (the Puerto Rican) and Ray years before on the show, at both the AIDS charity walk and intimidating Kramer for that beautiful armoire.  But in those two episodes, no mention is made of Cedric being Puerto Rican and he wears a ribbon, but it's not of the Puerto Rican flag, but rather a red one to raise AIDS awareness.  Only once before in the whole series is any reference made to Puerto Rico/Puerto Ricans, and it's just a passing mention by Kramer that he is going/was going there for a vacation.  I always found this most curious.

I often wonder what Cedric and Ray are up to these days.  

22 hours ago, Lobo said:

Wasn't his name Joel Rifkin?

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yes, but Ned was one of the suggestions that Elaine came up with when they were discussing his name change.

Ah. Good call. 

Back to the quotes:

You know what? There are a lot of players named Dion these days. What a cool name, Dion. If I were gonna change my name, I'd go with Dion.