I think we'll be ok

Slacks

one thing you have to appreciate about snacks is his consistency. he's been consistently wrong for so long because of his insistence that coaching doesn't matter. with charlie, it was his cutesy "it's not the x's and o's, it's the jimmies and joes" line. and in this post, he conveniently ignores the elephant in the room: inept coaching. it's entirely player-centric and completely ignores the fact all of these parts should have lost to tulsa yesterday. how will these players improve so dramatically that they will go from barely beating a horrible tulsa team to winning 7 of the next 10 against far superior athletes/coaching staffs? the answer, of course, is great coaching...and uh, we don't have any of that. 

wake the fuck up, snacks. 

You ever see a really good team struggle against a bad opponent or even lose early in the season, I mean really look bad, but then come back and kick ass the rest of the season?  It happens every year right.  Now imagine that really good team did it twice in a row to start the season.  Playing out the rest of season in dominating fashion can still happen right?  Right?

Two mulligans is pretty much my only hope for this season.

I do really like Ingram.  6+ yards a carry and has the shiftiness to make our line look better than it actually is.  I didn't expect him to be this good.

Sterns and Foster look good too.  We're getting more from freshmen than we are our senior class.  Hager, Omenihu, etc are the most disappointing part of this team.

The offense looks like it should be competent.  The pieces are there.  It just falls apart, and Beck is terrible whenever we have bad field position.

• Like 1

It appears to me that we have been playing down to our competition and that it cost us against Maryland. With that said, we have some serious shit to figure out on offense before we start beating good teams. As a fan, I am just going to take things one game at a time and hope for the best. Maybe we will play better. If not, we hire a new coach and restart our "two more years until we are good again" timer. 

2 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

It appears to me that we have been playing down to our competition and that it cost us against Maryland. With that said, we have some serious shit to figure out on offense before we start beating good teams. As a fan, I am just going to take things one game at a time and hope for the best. Maybe we will play better. If not, we hire a new coach and restart our "two more years until we are good again" timer. 

I dont think 2 years is adequate time to actually dig ourselves out of this shithole we've put ourselves into. However, having an adequate coach that can not only evaluate players to recruit, but also develop them into all-American  (or at least all conference) level players is the most crucial and first piece to the puzzle of figuring our way out of this mess.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

That or the people in charge of teaching them, you know the coaches, truly fucking suck at their jobs.

Occams Razor, other schools not named Texas aren't having this problem. Dont over think this, the simple answer is usually the correct one.

It's not my theory.  Look up the fucking thread and you'll see what I think about this staff.

I said it was an interesting angle.

I agree that whomever the coach is needs to have enough time to establish the program in the way they are envisioning. However, it seems evident right now that fuckall was done by way of instilling the core of what this team needs to be. I'm glad dicker is doing well thus far and I expect bujcevski to need time to get acclimated to the way punting here happens. However, those are no excuse for why the kick off, kick off return team, and punt return team can't establish themselves in the game and be a force to be reckoned with anytime they are on the field.

There is nothing wrong with having faith in something. UT is an objectively better place than these other schools, and this is measurable in countless ways. Football will come around.

I spent the weekend telling Oklahomans about my policy of never getting out of the car when passing through their state, and showing Aggies my new favorite website, utrejects,com. If loving my school is wrong I don't want to be right.

I don't deny what is on the field and I was absolutely on the CajunHorn train of "please let's lost so that we can can Mack Brown" because I use logic and reason. 

But when appropriate I will shine my sunshine of the purest ray serene because I love my school and my team. There is no harm in that. 

Edited by Thetexashammer

7 hours ago, Snacks said:

So.... I haven't watched up to the meltdown, so my opinion can change, but....

Ingram is real.

Watson is good enough.

Beck is going to help. He puts a body on people.

LJH is good.

Sam has to process a little faster on the RPO

OL is good enough to win.

I don't know what is holding back CJ.

Hager is a one trick pony. Good offenses are going to make him pay.

Omenihu is a non-factor

Roach is good, just too big for LB.

Nelson is fine.

Johnson's feet are faster than he processes/diagnoses.

The young DBs are promising

Locke is not good in coverage.

If we can stick with running to set up PA, we'll get better.

8 wins is possible as a stretch. I think we'll be in close games a lot.

The sky isn't falling, it's just low.

OP?

giphy.gif

Edited by vox

This is probably the worst 2-game start we have had in recent memory, but there is reason to be hopeful this team improves over the year.

The offense: Our OL play is much improved, Ingram looks solid, Sam is much improved at checking into the right play presnap.  Duvernay is our best WR and looks like a stud.  Actual TEs.  Eagles sighting.

We need to run the ball more.  Multiple back looks would be nice, but if they aren't installed now that's a bit of a pipe dream.  I believe it'd even benefit the passing game. 

When we put together a drive it is one first down at a time.  Stop looking for a homerun on first down.  Sam needs to be decisive with his options.  We piddle when we don't stay in front of the chains.  I like this team much more in 3rd&4 than 3rd&8.

The defense: has sucked more than the offense, but it's been all on big plays and outside runs.  Nelson looks every bit like Poona, and that's what worried me most going into the year.  This won't ever happen because it's not his style, but Hager really needs to take on blocks and string out plays - there's no amount of TFLs that will make up for giving up easy big runs.  I gave Wheeler a pass for being out half the Maryland game, but he really was slow to react in the Tulsa game.  We need to play assignment football and stop looking for plays.

Pass defense: Its been all bad coverage busts with some poor positioning from safeties who otherwise play great.  Pressure has not been great.  Thompson falling down is a "whatever" - it was a poor pass and he got turf monstered adjusting to it, it'll fix itself.  Boyce just quit on the play he got beat on, he worries me. 

The offense fizzles quickly, but it has also put together drives that look better than anything we saw last year.  If the defense can make the same leap that it did last year...

"We are going to win." - Snacks

And, yeah, that's a whole lot of sunshine.  I'm geuinely concerned about 5-7, which looks really likely.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, hookem48 said:

USC seems to suck as well, TCU will get beat the fuck up vs. Ohio Sate win or lose, K State seems to suck. Fuck it, 4-1 going into the OU game. We're back baby, we're back.

We may not be back but we're damn sure 4-1 going into the OU game, motherfuckers.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, hookem48 said:

USC seems to suck as well, TCU will get beat the fuck up vs. Ohio Sate win or lose, K State seems to suck. Fuck it, 4-1 going into the OU game. We're back baby, we're back.

yea I'm bumping this thread again, fuck yes